Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#626 Old 13th Aug 2019 at 3:38 AM
The Art of Racing in the Rain - 8/10 soooo enjoyable! It was at times quite predictable, but still managed to pull a few surprises. The music was great and the scenery evocative. The story was enjoyable and heartwarming. Loved the themes.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#627 Old 19th Aug 2019 at 12:01 AM
Hereditary - 3/10

I found it terribly boring and felt like so little happened in that first hour that they could have done without it altogether. Maybe I'm just a child of the 80's, set in my ways and incapable of sitting comfortably through anything that's longer than 90 minutes.

.:: B2SIMS.com ::.
Forum Resident
#628 Old 21st Aug 2019 at 9:28 PM
I Am Mother from Netflix, 7.5/10.

I like sci-fi and AI concepts, but it's rare to find really well done films in the genre. This...wasn't terrible and I'd watch it again---in the background. Highlights were the teenage character's acting and, actually, the team depiction of the Mother robot (Rose Byrne's voice, another actor moving it around, and I guess some others controlling its facial expressions?). Cinematography wasn't bad either in a few instances.

The plot wasn't smoothly executed---lots of twists and yet not much lasting suspense. But sometimes noteworthy acting counts for a lot, and it definitely saved this film.

@MurderPrincessK I had no idea there had been a Hellboy remake! Too bad it sounds like it wasn't better; Ian McShane is great, and I've especially loved him in the kinetically amazing John Wick movies.

*Ongoing TS2 informational projects (come on by to contribute, get info, or spectate!): (1) the SimPE Preservation Project and (2) Conflict Tracking for the 3t2 Traits Project Mods
*Need a Pescado mod? Use his hack directory: in the first post, find the link for your latest EP, then go in hacks/
Theorist
#629 Old 1st Nov 2019 at 2:24 AM Last edited by ScaryRob : 19th May 2021 at 2:04 PM.
The Lighthouse (2019) - 1/10

Dumber than fucking dumb. Did I mention it was stoopid?
Scholar
#630 Old 9th Jan 2020 at 9:28 PM
Knives Out - 8/10
Cluedo in movie form. A who dunnit without the gross romantic bits. Would watch again
Forum Resident
#631 Old 16th Mar 2020 at 1:48 AM Last edited by Deshong : 20th Mar 2020 at 7:00 PM.
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐) Edit: Just read the OP to use a 10-star rating system not 5.
I remember reading so much positive feedback on this movie but never got around to watching it until today. I liked it a lot and especially appreciated a brand new character being created than changing the ethnicity of an already existing character for the sake of diversity. I also enjoyed the aesthetic of the movie. Aside from that, I also liked the positive message.

"That person who helps others simply because it should or must be done, and because it is the right thing to do, is indeed without a doubt, a real SUPERHERO." -Stan Lee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4Hbz2jLxvQ

Previous Game: Batman Arkham Asylum GOTY Edition (100% riddles completed; now I know why I've always been fascinated with The Riddler, lol.)

Next Game: Batman Arkham City GOTY Edition
Scholar
#632 Old 20th Mar 2020 at 4:39 PM
Beverly Hills Cop II - 8/10

Haven't watched it in ages but I find that it's just as fun everytime I watch it. One of the very few movie lines I know off the top of my head:

"Everybody stop what you're doing. Please stop it. I'm Axel Foley, Beverly Hills bulding inspector. Everybody stop what you're doing, I'd like to speak with the foreman please. YOU put the bucket DOWN!"
Scholar
#633 Old 1st Apr 2020 at 9:46 PM
The Gentlemen (2019)- 6/10

It's the kind of movie I like. Sort of like Snatch, but different. I liked the characters- Hugh Grant really surprised me because I've hated every single role he has ever played! But something about this movie was off and I just can't tell what it is. I want to love it but I just...I dunno. There's something that isn't right and that's why I can't give it a better rating.
Top Secret Researcher
#634 Old 28th Apr 2020 at 4:28 AM
Extraction 7.5/10. Chris Hemsworth is worth watching in anything I think. Good action movie. No real story or plot but that didn't matter to me. I don't normally like kidnapping movies but this didn't have any of that overly emotional stuff that goes with them.
Test Subject
#635 Old 28th Apr 2020 at 3:22 PM
Extraction 6/10
I saw the Marvel shadow all the movie long. Chris brother - Liam, did the better thing as an actor in Most Dangerous Game on Quibi
Lab Assistant
#636 Old 2nd May 2020 at 3:19 AM
The Half of It: 7.7/10
It was a super sweet LGBT coming of age story and also a really nice friendship between the male and female leads. I really loved all the motifs and cinematography. There's a few shots where the scene is shot so there's literally a line dividing the characters when they're emotionally disconnected, and I thought it was a pretty cool detail. There was also some cool motifs involving hell and different interpretations and how each character responds and gives their own interpretation of it. It moves a little fast and would be really cool if it were a miniseries or something, but it's still amazing. Also, it's super rad to have an LGBT protagonist who's also a person of color.

Big Fish: 7.7/10
I've seen this movie before, but I just love it. I love the feeling of vintage Americana and folk tales throughout and the atmosphere is just so amazing. The stories aren't realistic, but they aren't supposed to be, yet you still get an amazing understanding of the father's life even through the warped lenses.

Quote: Originally posted by Deshong
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐) Edit: Just read the OP to use a 10-star rating system not 5.
I remember reading so much positive feedback on this movie but never got around to watching it until today. I liked it a lot and especially appreciated a brand new character being created than changing the ethnicity of an already existing character for the sake of diversity. I also enjoyed the aesthetic of the movie. Aside from that, I also liked the positive message.

"That person who helps others simply because it should or must be done, and because it is the right thing to do, is indeed without a doubt, a real SUPERHERO." -Stan Lee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4Hbz2jLxvQ

Also, I know your post is a bit old, but I just wanted to say Spiderman: Into the Spiderverse is amazing. The animation style they use is gorgeous and it's an amazing blend of 2d, 3d and comic books. I wish more companies were willing to take risks with stylizing their movies so it wasn't always dough-y human on photorealistic background.
Mad Poster
#637 Old 15th May 2020 at 8:00 PM Last edited by PANDAQUEEN : 15th May 2020 at 9:41 PM.
Minions (2015) 98/100

The story of the Minions started in the primordial sea as numerous Minions in plankter form search for the most evil being to follow. As they emerge from the sea, they follow a T. Rex, until he is rolled into a volcano. Time passed and man was seemingly a viable target to worship but your average Cro-Magnon was a snack and the Ancient Egyptians were flattened into their own tomb. Not even Dracula was safe from their bumbling hijinks and gave him the ultimate sunburn. At last count before they went on an adventure, they abandoned their post in Napoleon's army after launching Napoleon. They made a home in the ice cave they found, but life in the cave became pointless without a master to serve after almost a 100-200 year isolation. So a Minion named Kevin, along with Stuart and Bob, set off for the search. They end up in New York City during 1968. We learn their dungarees were taken from a clothesline and a little about their personalities. They get locked in at a department store that night and watch "The Dating Game" (IRL I'm not sure "The Dating Game" was even available in 1968) and then, the screen goes to static. Stuart fixes it with a pose, an umbrella and an electric egg beater, but it tunes it to a channel for villains and it announces a convention for all manner of evil doers include the "first" successful super villainess, Scarlet Overkill. So, with that information, they set off for Orlando to find a new master.

Easter eggs!:
I don't know if any one else saw it, but at Villain-Con, Gru's with his mother at the Freeze Ray booth. This little Easter egg is one I found watching a second time.

A reference to The Beatles album Abbey Road (1969) is seen, with the instrumental to "Love Me Do" is played before the fourth Beatle in line stomps on the lid, shoving the Minions back into the sewer.

Favorite Scene:
Then, the scene where "Make 'em Laugh" goes tragically wrong and the Minions find themselves running from Yeti, polar bears and grizzly bears.

Sit! This is my favorite part!:
Usually, when I used to go to the movies, once the lights went up, the credits were rolling and it was time to go home. These days they make you sit for the credits and inter-credit hijinks and sometimes post-credits.
And the credits include:
Scenes of the hijinks involved Gru as a young boy adjusting to life with Minions.

I'm trying to get caught up so I can watch "Minions 2: Rise of Gru" I already watched the trilogy under the Despicable Me titles and Minions obviously. All that's left is the 10 Mini-Movies.

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)
Top Secret Researcher
#638 Old 24th May 2020 at 4:48 AM
6 Underground 2/10.
I was prepared for some mindless violence, car chases etc etc but wow, so boring. I was quarter of the way through the movie and the so-called revenge against evil b*****ds of the world hadn't even started as far as I could make out. It was all very confusing and could have been much shorter, not that I waited til the end. I gave up.
Test Subject
#639 Old 6th Jul 2020 at 10:50 AM
Default Tekkonkinkreet
Tekkonkinkreet 2006 - Old - Animation, Action, Adventure
[ Rating 10+/10 ]
Based on self-titled manga. Really not usual, warm and simply wonderful anime with one of the best soundtracks.
with best regards prooflink!
Mad Poster
#640 Old 8th Jul 2020 at 8:04 PM
I know this is a trailer, and probably not out yet, but solely based on book VS movie, it's getting a 0/10. The only thing they've gotten right is the character names and a vague idea about the character descriptions, maybe some vague story threads here and there. But they've turned the entire story premise on its head (as per ususal for Disney, of late).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl2r3Fwxz_o

(I read those books when I was younger, occasionally do read them again if I'm feeling a bit nostalgic - and somehow Disney has gotten pretty much everything wrong about the main characters except the first name. How is that even possible? The first book isn't even that long or difficult to read - it's rated something like 8-12 years or thereabout, and I think it's even shorter than the first Harry Potter book! Surely someone in the team must have read it before they started making this film? Artemis fowl may be a criminal mastermind, but he is not an action hero or a spy kid in the first book. He may occasionally be a very reluctant one under extreme circumstances, but mostly in the later books. I don't think even 1/10 of what's shown in that trailer happened even remotely close to what happened in the book).

I don't know if the film is good as a standalone film (if they'd used different names and changed a few details here and there they'd probably easily get away with it), but as a book-to-film adaption under that name? No. It's not by any chance even remotely the same thing, because they've completely misunderstood the concept of the main character so much you can spot it the first ten seconds of the trailer if you've read the first book once

If you haven't read the books... probably a fun(ish) film something like Spy Kids or something along those lines, it looks like, with the thypical overdone effects for Disney kids' movies.
Scholar
#641 Old 13th Aug 2020 at 2:13 PM
@simmer22 When the trailer appeared sometime last year I cringed so hard. I'd read the Artemis Fowl books at like 18 cos they were never on the shelves at my school library (always checked out) and it was one of the best children's book's I've read so I was like ooh a movie based on these books would be nice. But deep down I knew they'd probably find a way to ruin it spectaculaly. They totally have.

Heat (1995) was on tv the other night, watched it again and still enjoyed it. Tonight's supposed to be Tokyo Drift, I'll wrestle the remote off anyone who tries to stop me from watching it *cracks knuckles*
Top Secret Researcher
#642 Old 13th Aug 2020 at 7:09 PM
I watched The Big Lebowski for the first time yesterday. I think you needed to be there when it came out. I was mostly bored. And I usually like Coen brothers movies. 6/10
Theorist
#643 Old 16th Sep 2020 at 3:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by 310175
I watched The Big Lebowski for the first time yesterday. I think you needed to be there when it came out. I was mostly bored. And I usually like Coen brothers movies. 6/10

I saw this years after it first came out as well and didn't see what the big deal was.
But then, I'm not a movie buff.
Scholar
#644 Old 19th Sep 2020 at 3:04 AM Last edited by Elynda : 19th Sep 2020 at 3:20 AM.
Lately I haven't watched anything made later than 1940, so it would either be Gold Diggers of 1933 or 42nd Street (also 1933) on DVD - I watched them on the same day but can't remember which I watched first or second. Anyway, I rate both at 10/10 because Busby Berkeley + Ruby Keeler cannot equal anything less than perfection.

Next up (probably tomorrow if Amazon are on form) Dames (1934) - because I can't get enough of Ruby!

(Note: before anybody asks, I am not old enough to have caught the premiers of these movies. My mother was born in 1933, so even she had to wait a few years.

Legend is history as we would like it to be. We pick through the dusts of time for what is worth keeping and, here and there, we occasionally find treasure.

Simblr: Elyndaworld *** Wordpress: Tales of Nantrelor
Top Secret Researcher
#645 Old 13th Oct 2020 at 9:05 PM
Enola Holmes on Netflix. 7/10
Adorable fluff with a charming title character that couldn't quite hold my attention marred by a nonsensical plot and the boredom embodied by the presence of Henry Cavill. Every time he appears on the screen I yawn. It's a reflex now. What do people see in him. He's pretty but that's it.
Theorist
#646 Old 12th Jan 2021 at 4:02 PM Last edited by ScaryRob : 19th May 2021 at 2:09 PM.
I've watched several movies recently, all online for free.

They Live (1988) - 6/10 (10/10 if watched as a documentary)
The Baader Meinhof Complex (2008) (with English subtitles) - 8/10
Charly (1968) - 8/10
Identity (2003) - 8/10
The Omega Man (1971) - 8/10 (seen it several times, easily the best of the three versions)
Dawn of the Dead (1978) - 7.5/10 (still the best zombie movie, seen it several times)
Day of the Dead (1985) - 6.5/10
Strongroom (1962) - 6.5/10
Brainstorm (1983) - 6/10
Day of Resurrection (aka Virus) (1980) - 6/10
Tales from the Crypt (1972) - 6/10
The Andromeda Strain (1971) - 5/10
Beginning of the End (1957) - 5/10
Trilogy of Terror (1975) - 4/10
Theorist
#647 Old 18th Jan 2021 at 6:05 AM Last edited by ScaryRob : 19th Jan 2021 at 3:40 PM.
Panic In Year Zero (1962) - 6/10
The Mind Snatchers (1972) - 5/10
The Cabin in the Woods (2011) - 3/10
Theorist
#648 Old 31st Jan 2021 at 4:56 AM Last edited by ScaryRob : 18th May 2021 at 5:41 AM.
Thunderbolt and Lightfoot (1974) - 8/10
Lost Highway (1997) - 7/10
Wild at Heart (1990) - 7/10
Theorist
#649 Old 11th Feb 2021 at 5:41 AM
Town Without Pity (1961) - 4/10
Theorist
#650 Old 27th Feb 2021 at 6:30 AM Last edited by ScaryRob : 28th Oct 2021 at 1:15 AM.
Two-Lane Blacktop (1971) - 4/10
I only watched this because it stars musicians Dennis Wilson and James Taylor.
Page 26 of 38