Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 6:43 AM Last edited by DistantWords : 25th Jul 2014 at 7:56 PM.
Default Sim Weddings - Getting The Most Out Of Them (sort of) [Very Long]
First off, I must apologize; this is going to be a LONG thread. And for that, I am sorry. Anyway, moving on...

------
*Prologue*
------
When I started writing this, it was a simple story about my own evolution of Sims 2 weddings. It was not intended to be extremely long; I figured 4-6 paragraphs, tops. I mostly just wanted to put a topic out there and see how this community responded to it. Not only did the starting story itself exceed this limit, but it almost turned into a sort of guide; Tips to Getting the Most out of Community Weddings.

From there, I just wanted to talk about some of the community lots I’ve built over the years and the one I am currently working on. So, I really do apologize for the extraordinary length of this post. I know most people don’t care for long walls of text (I am one of them). But, hopefully some will find it interesting, or even useful in some places. And I do hope it inspires others to share their stories on this subject, point out any flaws or add anything I over-looked.

------
*The Evolution of My Sims 2 Weddings*
------
In my early days of The Sims 2, there was a lot I didn’t know. Heck, I’m still learning things about this game today! But in my early days, it was almost all trial and error, learning on my own; I did not scour the Internet like I do today. One of the things I did was take the easy route to marriage. Propose -> Engagement and Propose -> Marriage, end of story. As a result, marriage was boring and just another thing you do to advance the game, like using the toilet. I didn’t even know there were objects to make this more fun (and I would have had access because my first Sims 2 was Double Deluxe which had Nightlife and Celebration Stuff).

Well, as I grew more familiar with the items, my process expanded. Weddings became quite the production, which included having to wait until the couple in question could afford all of the items needed and had enough space to fit it all. As time went on, I grew a little impatient with all of this. It’s pretty time consuming to constantly buy all this stuff, set it all up, and on the big day hire all the needed people (bartender at least). Then, after the honeymoon, you have to clean up! It actually broke my little digital heart at first to delete these items, like the Wedding Arch (ah, the memories).

Sometimes I’d leave it all up for a few game weeks because it was a nice reminder of the beautiful day (yes, I’m a sap). But, eventually, no matter what, the time WOULD come to clean it all up and go on with my Sims lives.

So, hours of real life time devoted to meticulously setting up a home to provide a grand wedding experience, for maybe ten minutes of gameplay, and then a few more minutes for cleanup (cleanup is usually pretty quick). What you have to understand about me is that I’m the kind of person who likes to have as many Sims as possible. I have single Sims, big huge families, and everything in between. If I get bored with a particular lot/family/Sim, I move on for a bit and usually make full rounds from lot to lot. And because of this, weddings come up quite often.

Since it takes so long to setup each wedding, it almost seemed like it wasn’t worth it. Until of course, playing the wedding itself. I love the big weddings so it always pays off in the end. But, I did get to wondering if there was an easier way. So I started looking into doing weddings on a community lot. It sounded like there would be quite a big advantage to this, if you created a lot specifically designed for a wedding.

First of all, once you get it setup just right, you never have to tear it down and rebuild it later. Second, because of how community lots work, there’s no re-buying things like cakes and champagne bottles! You just use the same ones over and over!

However, I quickly learned that there were disadvantages as well. Here are the disadvantages I’ve seen myself (pre-hacks/mods). Let me know if you can think of any others:

------
*Tips to Getting the Most out of Community Weddings*
-For the Hack & Cheat Willing-
------
A) You cannot throw parties on a community lot, so no wedding party. Not the biggest deal in the world, but, it is fun to get a Roof Raiser, and that’s pretty much a snap with all of the wedding items.

Fortunately, this can be solved with a hack:

http://www.insimenator.org/index.php/topic,9570.0.html
http://www.insimenator.org/index.ph...c,101151.0.html

However, there is an issue with this that I have found. When throwing a party at home, I have never once, ever, had an invited sim show up and then leave before the party is over. Using this mod on a community lot on the other hand, invited sims have shown up and then left before the party is over. Sometimes almost right away.

I do have a slight work around though:

Show up to the lot, and invite a casual group (Just For Fun, btw) that includes your most important guests. THEN throw your party. So far I’ve never had a Sim (who is part of the casual group) leave if the casual group is still going on.
B) Leaving a champagne bottle out can be a pain; all of the Sims on the lot (NCP as well as your own) will do nothing but “toast to” or “toast with”, which distracts the people you invited, as well as your own Sims. And since this is a community lot, you cannot put it away and then add it when you are ready; you cannot add or remove items in a community lot.

This too can be fixed with a mod, however.

Downtown build/buy mode enabler:
Nightlife
Up To Pets
Bon Voyage - works with Mansion & Garden too
**Thanks to iCad & SciBirg for the updated info**

So now you can grab the bottle the moment you show up to the lot, put it in a Sim’s inventory, and then break it out when YOU are ready for it (for me that’s usually after cutting the cake).
C) After Apartment Life, you cannot interact with anyone until your sims “greet” NCPs, even if they were invited to your party (using the community lot party hack) OR even if they are part of a casual group. At least, that’s been my experience; call a casual group to the lot, and you still have to “greet” them all individually to be able to interact with them otherwise.

Fear not, there is a hack for that as well!

http://modthesims.info/t/433620

(directions are in the first reply to that post)
D) If your sims that are getting married are on a lot with babies or toddlers, and you just have to have them at the wedding, you are out of luck; babies and toddlers cannot naturally leave your home lot. And if you leave the lot, and there are no other Teens/Adults left to care for them, you must get a babysitter (or suffer the wrath of social services).

This can be partially solved by a hack. There is a hack that lets you take toddlers to a community lot, but so far as I can find, there is nothing for babies.

http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=303968
http://modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=303431

If you are going to use that one, you may as well use this one that allows toddlers to use stairs:

http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=283709
--Side Note--

You can still have your sims go on a honeymoon after the wedding, even on a community lot, as long as you book it before you go to the lot. As far as I can tell, you cannot book the honeymoon (or do any other Vacation interactions) on a community lot. However, I don’t know what will happen to any other sims in your control (meaning they live on the same lot) if you go on vacation from the community lot.

I did a test run, having 3 adults (two who were getting married), a toddler and two dogs go to a community lot for a wedding, with a honeymoon booked. The cab showed up after the wedding party, the happy couple went on their Honeymoon, and when they went home, everyone returned just fine (including the toddler).

However, everyone returned in their normal ways, including the happy couple. Meaning, they flew home on broomsticks (they are a wizard/witch couple), they did not return in a cab. They also did not get any of the vacation perks (extra want slot, etc), but I also didn't keep them there for even a full night. I was just testing.

More testing to come.
E) This is kind of a hard one to explain, but there is a certain amount of a loss of control when you are on a community lot. At home, if you don’t like someone who’s there, either someone you invited or someone who just showed up, you can ask them to leave. On a community lot, you really can’t do anything about who “shows up” and what they do. There are also bad NCPs out there like Mrs. Crumplebottom and Unsavory Charlatan that can ruin a good time. There are hacks out there to remove them, but I have so far never looked into any of them.

What I do do, however, is turn on the testing cheats (boolProp testingCheatsEnabled true). This lets me do a number of things.

Someone isn’t doing what I want them to do, or they simply aren’t participating? Shift Click them and make them selectable. Cancel out whatever they are doing, force them to do what I want, then Shift Click them again and make then unselectable. This works about half of the time. Someone shows up I don’t like? Shift Click then, Force Error, and then delete them. This doesn’t delete them from the game, it just removes them from the current lot.

Now, I will admit that I’m not 100% sure that my solution to this one, E), is a good way to do things. It is possible that doing these things (Force Error -> Delete, Make Selectable -> Make Unselectable) may cause problems. But I myself have never had any problem doing them. But I also don’t leave any Sims selectable any longer than I have to. A few seconds at most. And Force Error -> Delete has never caused a problem (for me) on a community lot; the sims don’t actually get deleted.

So there are some drawbacks to having a wedding on a community lot, but most (if not all) can be fixed with hacks/mods and/or cheats. Can anyone else think of some drawbacks that I have not thought of?

When I first had the thought of building a community lot for weddings specifically, I went through multiple designs. Some were ok, some were not so good, others (especially the first three or so) were just awful! It doesn’t help that I’m not really an artistic person; an eye for detail and an eye for design are pretty important for building lots after all. But, after the first few disasters, as bad as some of them were they were at least functional. And that’s what counts, isn’t it? Sometimes anyway? They got the job done for several couples, and that was my ultimate goal.

I recently bought a new computer, which is what has gotten me back into the Sims to begin with (once I was able to get it running correctly on Windows 8). It’s not a top of the line PC or anything, but it’s pretty awesome; it’s the best computer I’ve ever had, and The Sims 2 runs beautifully! It’s such a difference to have everything flow so well, even with the settings as high as the game will allow. Since then I’ve been on a bit of a roll. I axed my old wedding lots and started a new one (actually this is the second, but I didn’t get far on the first new one as it was pretty bad).

After writing all of this I feel compelled to share some of my progress with my latest wedding lot. This is still early work, I haven’t even placed a single light on the lot (I just don’t feel I’m ready for lights yet). I also haven’t really decorated yet; there are a few in place because I felt strongly compelled to place them, but that’s it. Right now I’m working on function and over-all layout (for lack of a better word). Here they are:

------
*My Current Project*
------
Here is an overhead view of the entire lot. I’m big on outdoor weddings:

I’m not sure why, but I just felt the need to have a playground in place. I kind of designed this with a bit of game functionality in mind, but also a bit of real life functionality in mind, even though it’s not necessary in this game. Isn’t that kind of weird? But I have found that I do that with this game; design things as if it were real, even though the extras serve no game purpose.
So here are a few shots of the actual ceremony location:
After the ceremony, they head over for some dinner, karaoke, wedding cake, champagne (which I will place when I’m ready) and fireworks:
Here is the unneeded playground:
The “rec room”, which holds the bathrooms, dance floor and full bar. This will be where everyone goes after food for the couple’s first dance and the rest of the wedding:

As I said, this is a work in progress; I still have a lot to do. But I’ve gone through some very successful trial runs thanks to the mods/hacks I’ve mentioned. Roof Raiser EVERY time for my wedding party score!!! None of the weddings have been permanent though, I simply exit to neighborhood when I’m done, making sure none of what happens sticks while I test. I have had to set the hour to daytime a lot, because I’m not ready to place lights. Lights are tough because when you are in build mode, toggling between night and day does not trigger current lights to turn on and I know no way to get them on in order to see what’s already illuminated.

------
*Final Thoughts (Random Thoughts)*
------
I wish there was a mod/hack to allow you to dynamically add time to the party timer; 5 Sim hours is NOT enough time for a full wedding in my experience. I almost never get to the couple’s first dance because everything else takes so long; eating is very time consuming for one thing.

I like to create a Sim Modder through the testing cheats, and either MID or MIN all sim’s hunger motive when it’s time for dinner. This makes it very likely that all sims will congregate to the dinner area.

I read something online that was kind of a guide to making the perfect wedding, and it covered a lot of what I have, as well as SO much more. And one thing it talked about was having the actual ceremony somewhere in the middle of the wedding party. I can’t see how that would work; I already don’t have enough time to do all the things I want to do in a wedding during the wedding party’s time limit. In my opinion, you HAVE to to the ceremony as soon as you can.

Here is a link to that because it is a very good read:

http://www.thesimsresource.com/tuto...ost/post/11198/

Oddly enough, I found that link while trying to find a hack that takes away the autonomous effects of the champagne bottle, the "Titania Vineyards 1914 Toasting Set". I never found a mod/hack for that, but that link was still a great read.

Something else I was thinking about when I was writing this (which took a few days) is a thought that might combine the best of both worlds for weddings. What about an Apartment Complex specifically designed for engaged couples? Have the common areas setup with everything you need for a great wedding, and still have normal Apartments? I think that might satisfy all the benefits of a home wedding, and all the benefits of a community lot wedding!

Last, but certainly not least, weddings are SO much fun for me in The Sims 2!

Sadly, and strangely, even with as ridiculously long as this is, I still feel I’ve missed a lot of points and left a lot out. Weird. I will update this as I think of things, but any updates I will try and post in a reply as well as updating this original post.

I have said this before, and I will say it again, I am very sorry this ended up being SO long. But, for anyone who does read it all, thank you so much just for reading! And anyone who replys, with more than just “too long, not going to read it”, thank you too! I hope to hear from people, and I also hope someone finds at least something here useful, one way or another.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 8:12 AM Last edited by abel1980 : 25th Jul 2014 at 12:20 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by DistantWords
I wish there was a mod/hack to allow you to dynamically add time to the party timer; 5 Sim hours is NOT enough time for a full wedding in my experience. I almost never get to the couple’s first dance because everything else takes so long; eating is very time consuming for one thing.

I like to create a Sim Modder through the testing cheats, and either MID or MIN all sim’s hunger motive when it’s time for dinner. This makes it very likely that all sims will congregate to the dinner area.

The bat box has an option to prolong a party. You just have to click on it while the party is happening and there is an option. I forgot what it is called exactly, but I think it's something like "extend party". I have never tried that on a community lot, though.

Cutting the cake will make every guest get a piece of cake and sit down to eat, but it would be nice to be able to call everybody to eat some real food as well. With weddings on a home lot it's annoying that the bride and groom try to clean up the plates all the time.

I do like to play weddings, but I am often too lazy to go to all the trouble to set one up. I should try the community lot approach. And I have to remember to change the bride's formal clothing after the wedding. All the female guests show up in wedding dresses everytime I throw a wedding party, because I forgot to change their formal wear after they got married.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#3 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 10:01 AM
With the 'make selectable' option, you need to be careful about making universal NPCs selectable (like Mrs C). This can sometimes cause problems if the game tries to make a change to their character files (like a relationship adjustment, for example)*. You might be better using the sim blender or transporter cat to get rid of unwanted sims (does simblender do that? I can't remember - the cat sometimes gives problems with game speed). Another option is the visitor controller. You can use that to exclude certain sims from the lot while you are there. I usually have one on most community lots.

*to avoid this issue it's a good idea to make the objects.package in your game files read only.

Visitor controller is 2Jeffs I think. I'll try and find it.
Edit, yes here:
http://www.simbology.com/smf/index.php?topic=17.0

Quote: Originally posted by abel1980
Cutting the cake will make every guest get a piece of cake and sit down to eat, but it would be nice to be able to call everybody to eat some real food as well.

That's likely to be very moddable.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 4:11 PM
I use Inge's teleporter cat to kick off unwanted Sims, and it works quite well in my game. Very useful in dismissing unwanted guests, kicking off those pesky trash-can-kickers, and, with the help of BO's Spawn Objects mod, I can remove unwanted Sims on community lots, hobby lots, and generally any non-home lots.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 5:33 PM
Ok, I found out the issue with Bon Voyage. The hack for buying on a community lot was causing the problem; it made it so you cannot book a room at any Hotel. I think it was made pre-Bon Voyage, Pets seems to be the last version I can find. I'll be looking into a replacement mod.

Does anyone know of a newer hack for allowing you to access buy/build mode on a community lot?

Quote: Originally posted by abel1980
The bat box has an option to prolong a party. You just have to click on it while the party is happening and there is an option. I forgot what it is called exactly, but I think it's something like "extend party". I have never tried that on a community lot, though.

Thanks for that info! I never knew there was a way to extend the party! Is a "bat box" a mod? Or something in the game already?

Quote: Originally posted by maxon
Visitor controller is 2Jeffs I think. I'll try and find it.
Edit, yes here:
http://www.simbology.com/smf/index.php?topic=17.0

I will check that out! Thank you!

Quote: Originally posted by k6ka
I use Inge's teleporter cat to kick off unwanted Sims, and it works quite well in my game. Very useful in dismissing unwanted guests, kicking off those pesky trash-can-kickers, and, with the help of BO's Spawn Objects mod, I can remove unwanted Sims on community lots, hobby lots, and generally any non-home lots.

I'll be looking into that as well!

Thanks for the replies everyone!

P.S. Something else I was thinking about when I was writing this (which took a few days) is a thought that might combine the best of both worlds for weddings. What about an Apartment Complex specifically designed for engaged couples? Have the common areas setup with everything you need for a great wedding, and still have normal Apartments? I think that might satisfy all the benefits of a home wedding, and all the benefits of a community lot wedding!
Mad Poster
#6 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 6:13 PM
I tried "Community Lot Party" and it never would let me invite more than two sims, so I was having to teleport in most of the guests, and gave it up when important people started wandering off during the ceremony. I still have community lots with wedding paraphernalia, but they're for impulse weddings.

My first two community lot weddings weren't parties. Eppie Curian was on a date with Tiffany Sampson when they both rolled a want to get married, so they went to Drama Acres Park, where I'd placed a wedding arch, and just did it. The random people in the park all got into formalwear, and happened to include some of their close friends, so that was nice. It was a very Eppie thing to do - impulse wedding, grabbing whoever happened to be free that afternoon.

My first essay at the teleporter cat was a wedding - Pigeon Hawkins/Ezekial Gavigan, at Drama Acres Park. Pigeon's family (including dog) strolled over to the park, which I had set up with a buffet and wedding arch, and I teleported in about 30 "guests." It lagged a lot, not everybody got into their formals, and for some reason townies and uninvited playables kept wandering in, but that just added to the ambiance. "Guests" provided live music, the happy couple woohooed in the photobooth, the groom got trapped in the restroom by the crowds in front of the door, the kids ran around frantically, people swam and used the hot tub, since Pigeon had brought the dog, strays showed up for people to play with; and it was a great time generally. It never occurred to me to zap anybody away. What's a public party without partycrashers?

Nowadays I make a guest list, set up the lot with a buffet, arch, and whatever else (chairs, portapotties) I feel is required; invite whoever is on it that the initiator can; teleport in everybody else, get the couple married right away, and then it's free-range-a-palooza, except for making necessary introductions. I have a theory IRL that the duration of the marriage has an inverse relationship to the cost of the wedding, so cakes and champagne and fancy decorations are optional. I often teleport in toddlers so they'll be realistically underfoot - they'll crawl off when they need something they can't get. I always get lots of dancing on feet, pillowfights, redhands, canoodling, and the greatest of all party-boosters (next to woohoo, which I only get if the bride and groom feel like it, since I don't have ACR) kickybag! Frequently, also, fistfights; occasionally, caught-cheating events (followed by fistfights). Somebody generally hangs around afterward, too, and can be influenced to help clean up.

I'm about to throw the Wedding of the Century in Drama Acres - the nearly-twin Munny boys will have a double wedding on their parents' lot. The Munnys are the richest family in town; Mark and Frank are hugely popular; and one of the brides has five brothers and sisters plus parents (and dog; the Munnys have two dogs...hm...), so the minimum number of guests is 35. It's a huge lot, and will probably lag to hell. The ceremony will be outdoors, come rain or come shine, and I expect more action than I can keep up with.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Undead Molten Llama
#7 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 6:15 PM Last edited by iCad : 25th Jul 2014 at 6:29 PM.
Ooops. The community lot buy enabler WAS updated for Bon Voyage, Distant. If you look in the comments for the mod, you'll find the update. Sorry I mislead you. The updated-to-BV one is the one I have, and it works with all EPs/SPs.

Other than that, the buy enabler also allows you to get rid of annoying guests on community lots, too, if you also have move_objects turned on. You just go into buy mode, click on the Sim(s) you want to eliminate, then delete them just as you would a piece a furniture. This doesn't really delete the Sim, only that iteration of it, and is perfectly safe to do. I've used it to "delete" the Unsavory Charlatan when he's shown up and I don't want him pick-pocketing my wedding guests. It doesn't guarantee that the Sim won't respawn on the lot, though. I've had to "delete" the UC multiple times.

Also, if you want a longer party without Batboxing, you can do the community-lot wedding as a "just for fun" outing instead, so it's untimed with no meter, so all the drama you want can happen without it affecting any scores. The disadvantage is that the limo won't come for the "honeymoon," after the outing ends but since I have them book a vacation for a honeymoon and I don't want them to leave until the next day anyway, this doesn't bother me. I'd rather have the relaxed and as-long-as-I-want-it-to-last party. Otherwise it feels like I'm rushing from vows to cake-cutting to dancing, etc., just to get that score. And that, to me, is just not fun. Of course if you LIKE the pressure and the rushing and the score...Well, have at it. For me, the shine wore off that apple long ago.

Of course, that's on the (very rare) occasion when I throw a wedding at all, that is. Mostly, my Sims get married in a bathroom with no one else in attendance. Often, they're in their underwear. Or even less.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Scholar
#8 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 6:17 PM
Ok, I found out the issue with Bon Voyage. The hack for buying on a community lot was causing the problem; it made it so you cannot book a room at any Hotel. I think it was made pre-Bon Voyage, Pets seems to be the last version I can find. I'll be looking into a replacement mod.

Does anyone know of a newer hack for allowing you to access buy/build mode on a community lot?

Thanks for that info! I never knew there was a way to extend the party! Is a "bat box" a mod? Or something in the game already?

I will check that out! Thank you!

I'll be looking into that as well!

Thanks for the replies everyone!

P.S. Something else I was thinking about when I was writing this (which took a few days) is a thought that might combine the best of both worlds for weddings. What about an Apartment Complex specifically designed for engaged couples? Have the common areas setup with everything you need for a great wedding, and still have normal Apartments? I think that might satisfy all the benefits of a home wedding, and all the benefits of a community lot wedding!

The hack was updated and the update is posted in one of the comments for that hack instead of on the main page... Comment 48 on page 2, I believe. It is supposed to work until M&G but I have not tested yet.

Paladins/SimWardrobes downloads: https://simfileshare.net/folder/87849/
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 7:03 PM Last edited by DistantWords : 25th Jul 2014 at 8:01 PM.
@Peni Griffin, great story! I have found that your invite limit for parties is generally based on how many sims are already on the lot, and community lots tend to start off with a decent population. It's all about what your computer can handle, or what the game thinks your computer can handle (and the game can be wrong, because sometimes they just don't communicate with each other well). I use a few cheats in my userStartup.cheat file:

Quote:
intProp maxNumOfVisitingSims 20
uintProp maxTotalSims 30

I've upped the limit since my last computer, as my new one can more than handle it. I had a part on a community lot last night while testing some stuff and I was able to invite 17 sims! That was crazy though. Lucky for me I didn't care, I was just testing. I had made a backup and restored the backup when I was done anyway so none of it mattered.

@iCad & SciBirg: Thanks for the info! I've updated the thread with the new info/link and credit! And iCad, no worries. I never felt you mislead me or anything. I appreciated the info! Even after all these years there is still a lot of learning and trial and error! I think that's one of the things I love about this game, you always find something new, even if it's just a hack.

Quote: Originally posted by iCad
Of course if you LIKE the pressure and the rushing and the score...Well, have at it. For me, the shine wore off that apple long ago.

I tend to do both. Sometimes I do the party, sometimes I just do a casual group. It usually depends on the Sims and the situation. If those darn wants roll around, where they want the party, I almost always cave... But if there's no want, it just depends on if I feel the Sims in question will be wanting that "Had a great party" memory lol.

EDIT SPACE

I did a test run after getting the updated Downtown build/buy mode enabler.

I had 3 adults (two who were getting married), a toddler and two dogs go to a community lot for a wedding, with a honeymoon booked. The cab showed up after the wedding party, the happy couple went on their Honeymoon, and when they went home, everyone returned just fine (including the toddler).

However, everyone returned in their normal ways, including the happy couple. Meaning, they flew home on broomsticks (they are a wizard/witch couple), they did not return in a cab. They also did not get any of the vacation perks (extra want slot, etc), but I also didn't keep them there for even a full night. I was just quick testing.

More testing to come.
Field Researcher
#10 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 10:21 PM

In case this hasn't been answered yet, it's Pescado's lot debugger. ffsdebugger on this list: http://www.moreawesomethanyou.com/ffs/al/hacks/
There really isn't enough time for weddings. And I like to use the party option for the memories and to fulfill my popularity sims' wants for wedding parties. I had some wedding parties inside tiny apartments, including the arch. It looked a bit silly, but at least the apartment wasn't furnished yet, as the engaged couple had just moved in.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#11 Old 25th Jul 2014 at 11:02 PM
I held a large, long wedding on a community lot for a chapter a couple of years back. I used the cat teleporter to summon most of the guests including three toddlers. Most of it was posed for pictures but it looked nice even though it was a headache to set up. After the wedding part I had a long reception as well. I think I used the set hour cheat twice as it all took so long. My only problem with community lot weddings is the wedding ring glitch where the engagement ring stays and the wedding ring never shows up.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Top Secret Researcher
#12 Old 26th Jul 2014 at 2:47 AM
For lurkers, here's a direct link to the updated Build/Buy enabler for community lots - http://www.modthesims.info/download...600#post1867600. Works with all later expansion packs, up to and including Mansion & Garden Stuff.

It should force build and buy mode to remain available, even if there's a fire or burglar on the lot. The Inventory screen should also be accessible as well.

I use this mod a lot, especially when I grilled some hamburgers at a community lot and want to stick the leftovers in my pocket, since everyone else is either full or are too busy being robbed by the Unsavory Charlatan, or being berated by Mrs. CrumpleBottom for being in their undies.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 26th Jul 2014 at 4:40 AM
For lurkers, here's a direct link to the updated Build/Buy enabler for community lots - http://www.modthesims.info/download...600#post1867600. Works with all later expansion packs, up to and including Mansion & Garden Stuff.

It should force build and buy mode to remain available, even if there's a fire or burglar on the lot. The Inventory screen should also be accessible as well.

I use this mod a lot, especially when I grilled some hamburgers at a community lot and want to stick the leftovers in my pocket, since everyone else is either full or are too busy being robbed by the Unsavory Charlatan, or being berated by Mrs. CrumpleBottom for being in their undies.

Thank you for the post! I did update the original thread this morning though, with the new link and info that @iCad & @SciBirg provided. I wish I was better at formatting threads here, I never had one so darn long... Off topic, is there a place to go to find out all of the BB Code that is acceptable here? I can't seen to find anywhere that gives that info...

The build/buy mode enabler really is useful though, isn't it?
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#14 Old 26th Jul 2014 at 10:26 AM
Be careful with that - sometimes if you save a lot at a point when save would have otherwise been disabled (the game will disable the save options if there's a problem), you can seriously bork a lot or family.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
Top Secret Researcher
#15 Old 26th Jul 2014 at 3:09 PM
I don't think the Build/Buy enabler enables the Save option all the time. That requires a different mod, or the FFS Lot Debugger.
Forum Resident
#16 Old 26th Jul 2014 at 4:51 PM
@DistantWords -- This is awesome! Thanks so much for all the hard work of typing that out. It's amazing how one person with a passion for some specific part of the game can use his/her expertise to teach many others some great tips.

Semi-related: I had a post a while back in the TS3 forums asking people for their advice/tips/tricks on how to throw great sim parties. It never really went anywhere, unfortunately, but this is exactly the kind of guide I'd been hoping to pull together.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#17 Old 26th Jul 2014 at 5:11 PM
I don't think the Build/Buy enabler enables the Save option all the time. That requires a different mod, or the FFS Lot Debugger.

OK - I think you're right. I do it with a cheat. Ignore my previous post then.

Test Subject
#18 Old 3rd Jun 2015 at 2:22 AM
[INDENTI have said this before, and I will say it again, I am very sorry this ended up being SO long. But, for anyone who does read it all, thank you so much just for reading! And anyone who replys, with more than just “too long, not going to read it”, thank you too! I hope to hear from people, and I also hope someone finds at least something here useful, one way or another.

I read the entire post...Thank you! I am new to the sims 2 and this was exactly what I went searching for! Just Awesome!!
Forum Resident
#20 Old 3rd Jun 2015 at 8:06 AM Last edited by Diovanlestat : 3rd Jun 2015 at 8:18 AM.
My weddings are more simple, because the "community parties" doesn't work for me, i think it's clashing with another mod somewhere. So I just use, the "call group for fun" facility and hope the bride or groom don't run off.
All my weddings therefore must start early before anyone goes to work. I don't invite toddlers, cause I reckon weddings are too stressful for them, and I can't yet understand the "toddler can use stairs and travel mods". Uninvited Townies do turn up, I imagine they are moochers who want to get free food, but they fill up my wedding photo's so they is welcome.

I've just downloaded the old pc-sims "priest marry" mod, and also Chris Hatch''s "marry with bridesmaid without big ugly wedding arch". I tried out Chris Hatches mod, for a quiet wedding at the town hall, and it worked beautifully, it looked boring, humdrum and poor, just what I was looking for. Got nobody set up for a big fancy wedding, so not sure how pc-sims one with priest will work.

For champagne bottles.. i just cancel and ignore.. I could remove the bottles as I got "open build/buy lot on community", but can't be bothered. I make it into a game to prevent my wedding visitors from becoming alcoholics with bladder problems, cause other than the taking of fantastic pictures aint much to organize at my weddings cause they run real smooth.

Groups means no one runs of, and everyone stays real close. I book vacations and use Chris Hatch's second honeymoon so I get another cake and stuff to celebrate and make it special. I may miss wedding points, but can live with this for easy wedding and fantastic pictures.

Thanks for this post OP, I remembered it would be useful to use Christianlov's "greet everybody and sit down" on all my weddings (state or church) lots.
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 3rd Jun 2015 at 6:20 PM
I never really did the whole party thing in my Sims game when I used to play it. But recently I've been wanting to try out the whole thign of playing big neihborhoods and holding parties for a lot of things where I can invite all of the neighbors and this post really helps Im planning on building a lot for weddings and other parties
Link Ninja
#22 Old 4th Jun 2015 at 2:59 AM
I find the sim blender to be invaluable for community lot weddings. Not only can you teleport extra sims there but you can clear off any townies you don't want hanging around. You can also dress everyone into formal with one click if need be.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#23 Old 4th Jun 2015 at 3:29 AM
Yes, then you can see who is still wearing a wedding dress apart from the bride and forehead slap.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Link Ninja
#24 Old 4th Jun 2015 at 7:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Yes, then you can see who is still wearing a wedding dress apart from the bride and forehead slap.

And additionally, with the Sim Blender you can actually go buy a non-bridal gown formal outfit for the offending sim and have them change into it to avoid any duplicate brides.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.