7 people viewing
Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#27351 Old 5th Jun 2021 at 8:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mischief Managed
where exactly is that if you don't mind ? I've looked three times this new uploader is mind boggling frustrating

I think with the new download view, it uses the first image in the list for thumbnail? So use the handler and drag the one you want to the top.
Advertisement
Theorist
#27352 Old 5th Jun 2021 at 9:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsfreq
I have sims get on academic probation all the time because they don't have the required skills to open the grade bar high enough.

Also, if they did not have it open until the last minute and then they do not have enough time to push the total past there. I get this the most often with sims that have been created as YA or late in the Teen stage and didn't have many skills on starting uni.

Going to the final exam in a good mood gets them the most points, but it's not enough to fill a quarter of the bar. Going to the exam in a poor mode causes them to gain a few points. Skipping the exam will cause them to lose points - it's possible to pass the year without going to the final, but they'll need good grades to start with.

I make uni quite tough for my sims though. If they get on academic probation, I skip them to the next semester anyway, meaning that they lose the chance for the bonus for that semester, AND they're potentially even further behind and have more skills to catch up on if they want to pass. This keeps them in sync age wise. I re-set academic probation to on, so that if they do fail again they automatically get booted out. If they fail the final semester they can't graduate on probation, but I cheat it so that they only have 6 hours to catch up. Sometimes that's just enough for them to scrape a pass.
That's more life-like, I love the rigorousness very much. This rotation I was going more for the want-driven actions + autonomous actions, but it seems that this generation consisted of nothing but Einsteins and Hawkinses, as everybody had their grades ridiculously high for someone who didn't study at all.
Quote: Originally posted by Sims2Maven
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
the grade bar glitch, which shows closed and red despite having sufficient skills to open the bar and sufficient activity to pass
If you raise the scores on Cooking, Mechanical, and/or Cleaning - even when they are not "required" - that tends to get rid of the glitch.
Thanks! I'll take a look into it these days.
Mad Poster
#27353 Old 5th Jun 2021 at 9:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sims2Maven
There seems to be something else at work, sometimes. If you raise the scores on Cooking, Mechanical, and/or Cleaning - even when they are not "required" - that tends to get rid of the glitch. (I wouldn't let a sim graduate with Cooking less than 3, anyway - too much chance they'll burn down the house and/or themselves.)

Now, you claimed earlier that you were not experiencing this glitch when you had this problem, and that some other skill was required but not marked as such, and the grade bar really is restricted and didn't just appear to be. Have you changed your mind about what happened?
Field Researcher
#27354 Old 5th Jun 2021 at 9:49 PM
What type of package files in my download folder should The Compressorizer NOT be used on? I've heard it should not be used on mods, any other types of files?
Mad Poster
#27355 Old 5th Jun 2021 at 10:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by zeroboys008
What type of package files in my download folder should The Compressorizer NOT be used on? I've heard it should not be used on mods, any other types of files?

You can use it on nearly any .PKG file that I know of-because I've compressed nearly every single kind there is. No harm to any of them. I've done pixels, houses, objects, walls, floors, mods, meshes, you name it, I've compressed it.

I don't see any problems at all. My game runs fine, with over 15,000 objects in it. In fact, the compression of objects probably speeds it all up because the file size is smaller.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Alchemist
#27356 Old 5th Jun 2021 at 10:35 PM
I've heard that you shouldn't compress meshes either (but I have compressed meshes, and it was fine). You should keep an uncompressed backup just in case something goes wrong.
Field Researcher
#27357 Old 5th Jun 2021 at 11:21 PM
Thanks for the information! Good to know and I've made a backup of my downloads folder just in case.
Mad Poster
#27358 Old 5th Jun 2021 at 11:29 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 6th Jun 2021 at 5:55 PM.
I use the compressorizer on meshes and recolors, because that's mainly what's causing large files - meshes and textures are the reason you need the compressorizer in the first place.

I used to keep uncompressed files, but they took up a ton of space so I stopped doing it - I may keep the mesh files as long as I'm still working on them, and compress the finished ones, but if the originals are 1-3 mb each and there are 15 of them, I'd rather keep the 500 kb compressed versions...

So far nearly all have been fine. I've had a few that weirded out, but I'm not sure why they did - they compressed really slow and/or left an extra file in the folder for some reason (not a ".bak"/backup file). Only seen it a few times, for CC I'd downloaded. But other than that I've not had any issues with compressing files. The weird ones I think I just kept uncompressed.

Would be a bit careful with mods/hacks (I don't compress those unless they contain meshes/textures, but the files are usually tiny so there's really no point).
Theorist
#27359 Old 6th Jun 2021 at 1:31 PM
So far in my Downloads folder, I've got 248 files, all of which are mods. (However, all these files take 2.48 MB - and uncompressed, they probably take around 5 MB anyway.) I compressed all of them and haven't encountered any issues - and on my previous computer, I've had the entire Downloads folder compressed (mainly mods again, with a bunch of Castaway Stories objects); again, no issues. The only thing I wouldn't compress would be the original game files, but you shouldn't mess with those anyway.

Is there any way to bring the apartment roommate back on my UI? I've installed some mods, some of them caused a reset. Now, the apartment roommate still lives here and hangs around, but I can't "select" them to check their needs and satisfaction. I used the batbox to clear bad apartment residencies. It cleaned every resident apart from my sim (currently the only controllable tenant in the complex), but I still didn't get the roomie to show up. It's a can-live-with-it problem, and I wouldn't like to kick them out.
Alchemist
#27360 Old 6th Jun 2021 at 11:13 PM
If the roommate is supposed to be moved in as another playable, that's a little trickier, and idk. But if you just want the roommate back as a roommate, you should be able to use the "Make selectable" option after turning on testing cheats. I think that's what worked for me before.

"May the sunlight find you, thy days be long, thy winters kind, thy roots be strong." -Grand Oak Tree, DAO

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
Bored? Read an unfinished legacy or sim story. | aka Kelyns | she/her
Scholar
#27361 Old 8th Jun 2021 at 2:47 PM
Has anyone seen a Sim autonomously light a fire in a fireplace? I don't think it happens, but I wondered if it might just be rare.

If a Sim is cold (blue), would lighting a fire help?

Also, do Sims only autonomously repair the computer if they have enough mechanical to do the job without electrocuting themselves? The only person I see do it is Don Lothario, but he always seems to successfully repair it.
Mad Poster
#27362 Old 8th Jun 2021 at 3:33 PM
Lighting a fire does help with cold. I've never seen a sim autonomously light a fire or try to repair anything, but that doesn't prove anything.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Theorist
#27363 Old 8th Jun 2021 at 4:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sturlington
Has anyone seen a Sim autonomously light a fire in a fireplace? I don't think it happens, but I wondered if it might just be rare.

According to simler90, sims can't autonomously light a fireplace:
https://modthesims.info/d/632096/temperature-mods.html

Quote: Originally posted by simler90
Fireplace Mod: This separate mod allows sims to autonomously light fireplaces and also makes fireplaces burn for a slightly longer time. In an unmodded game, sims can't light fireplaces on their own. This mod does not affect custom fireplaces.
Scholar
#27364 Old 8th Jun 2021 at 8:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sturlington

If a Sim is cold (blue), would lighting a fire help?

Also, do Sims only autonomously repair the computer if they have enough mechanical to do the job without electrocuting themselves? The only person I see do it is Don Lothario, but he always seems to successfully repair it.

Pretty sure I've had Sims with low mechanical skill autonomously try to repair a computer. Luckily I've always caught them in time to redirect them before they wind up killing themselves. Guess they feel the same way we do - when you gotta play The Sims, you gotta play The Sims! Morning is too long to wait!
Instructor
#27365 Old 9th Jun 2021 at 5:45 AM
How do I figure out what Sims have a townified custom skin that I'd like to delete?

I might one day finish my Zanes Hollow project, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Until then, you can see what I'm up to on my Simblr!
Mad Poster
#27366 Old 9th Jun 2021 at 6:35 AM
I thought pagoda roofs were available as an architectural detail. But I guess not. So how are they done?

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Mad Poster
#27367 Old 9th Jun 2021 at 8:16 AM
They're a roof style. Open up the roofing tool and scan through the options under roof type. Below the standard European/American bunch - gable and hip sheds, hip, gable, mansard, diagonals of those, octagon, and dome - you start over with gable and hip sheds, but with curly pagoda corners.

(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Instructor
#27368 Old 9th Jun 2021 at 5:49 PM
To add on to above, I believe they came with Bon Voyage.

I might one day finish my Zanes Hollow project, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Until then, you can see what I'm up to on my Simblr!
Forum Resident
#27369 Old 9th Jun 2021 at 9:56 PM
Probably not the right place...I updated the pack of one of my sim uploads this morning, checked it saved it and went to download to double check and it's the previous file not the new one I know because I always name the face presets and I gave the new preset a different name it shows it was updated but didn't actually update
Forum Resident
#27370 Old 9th Jun 2021 at 10:16 PM
Is there any way to do something about a lot's edges if they are uneven? Like, if I do the flatten lot thing from build mode, the edges stay the same and there's a visible drop near the edges. Is one of the hundreds of tools made for the game capable of fixing those edges, or is my only option to bulldoze and rebuild on an empty lot?
Mad Poster
#27371 Old 9th Jun 2021 at 10:26 PM
Lot Adjuster, by Mootilda.
You go to Advanced, select the address, choose "flatten" edges, perform the operation, then "smooth" edges. Go back into the game and make a structural change (possibly including manually flattening the edges, which don't go flat if there's a fence or something), save, pick the lot up, drop it back down, and things should then fit.

Forum Resident
#27372 Old 10th Jun 2021 at 5:46 AM
how do you package/upload clothing? I can't find in guidelines

also is 17 screenshots too many for 2 items of clothing 6 angles for each + 4 bonus shots
Mad Poster
#27373 Old 10th Jun 2021 at 6:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by topp
Is there any way to bring the apartment roommate back on my UI? I've installed some mods, some of them caused a reset. Now, the apartment roommate still lives here and hangs around, but I can't "select" them to check their needs and satisfaction. I used the batbox to clear bad apartment residencies. It cleaned every resident apart from my sim (currently the only controllable tenant in the complex), but I still didn't get the roomie to show up. It's a can-live-with-it problem, and I wouldn't like to kick them out.

This sounds like a continuation of a previous post. I have the same problem with apartment roomies in one of my hoods, in fact I'm pretty sure it happened in multiple hoods - but I've never seen anyone talk about it before and I have no idea what causes it or what fixes it. I just don't play with apartment roomies any more, which is no huge loss, but weird that it doesn't work properly.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#27374 Old 10th Jun 2021 at 12:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsfreq
This sounds like a continuation of a previous post. I have the same problem with apartment roomies in one of my hoods, in fact I'm pretty sure it happened in multiple hoods - but I've never seen anyone talk about it before and I have no idea what causes it or what fixes it. I just don't play with apartment roomies any more, which is no huge loss, but weird that it doesn't work properly.

When this happens, you'd need to clear the roommate state from the sim and then ask them to be roommates again.
https://modthesims.info/showthread....655#post5745655
Mad Poster
#27375 Old 10th Jun 2021 at 3:19 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 10th Jun 2021 at 3:31 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Mischief Managed
how do you package/upload clothing? I can't find in guidelines

also is 17 screenshots too many for 2 items of clothing 6 angles for each + 4 bonus shots

Upload the package files and package them together as a zip/rar file (the files can be found in SavedSims or wherever you've saved your finished clothing files. You can keep the original name or rename them. DON'T use the files in the Projects folder!). You need an unzip/zipping program.

The mesh can be packaged either as a separate file, in the same zip/rar file, or post a working link to where the mesh can be found (depending on whether you made the file, ToU of original creator on whether you can include it, availability of the mesh if it's no longer easily found, etc. I'm sure the guidelines have a section on this.)

17 screenshots sound like a bit much for 2 items unless the angles are very much needed to show special details or something such (front and back plus maybe one side view is probably enough for most items).
Page 1095 of 1339