Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Jun 2016 at 9:05 PM
Default Do you send all of your teens to college?
I haven't played with college that much for some reason, but my best friend and I were playing alongside each other the other day and she mentioned that she wasn't going to send certain teens to college because of their storyline. I never actually considered not sending teens to college before that, but it made me curious about others' play styles! There are definitely a few in my current neighborhood who have never rolled the want to go, and since I can upgrade their want slots with the batbox I probably won't send them. What do you do with your teens?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 5th Jun 2016 at 9:23 PM
I like playing UNI, and right now, I am trying to get as much teens as possible, so I can send them..into different dorms.
But as your friend, it will always depend on the storyline I have for each sims.
My neighborhood is quite new still, so for now, I must wait for all children/toddlers and babies to age up to teen, before I can send the only 2 teens I have. This is not required..but just a way i found to start a new 'Hood with plenty of new sims

Sims who went to UNI will have more skills than others, most of the time..and this is something I really like. batbox yeah..but if I can send them instead of pretending they went, I'd rather do it.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 5th Jun 2016 at 9:26 PM
99% of the time yes I do. But sometimes I don't want a teen to go to college as part of their story, e.g. because they were a troubled teen and had bad grades.
Link Ninja
#4 Old 5th Jun 2016 at 9:27 PM
I can't resist sending them to college just because of the social aspect and also the 'young adult' phase I am always curious to know what they look like when they grow up. I did install a mod that allowed a sim to do college from home and stay young adult and I keep forgetting that is an option.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Mad Poster
#5 Old 5th Jun 2016 at 9:32 PM
Well..young adults and adults are the same..go to college and age from teen to YA, or not go to college and age from teen to adult..no difference in their look!
They share the same exact body. Unless you meant..YA clothing...

Mad Poster
#6 Old 5th Jun 2016 at 9:34 PM
Not all my sims go to university because not everyone in real life does and I try to play as realistically as possible. I see each sim on a sim-by-sim basis though, I have no strict rules. I went to university and I don't come from a rich background, so some of my poorest sims go to uni, whereas some of my richer sims don't go! Although I have to admit, a lot more of the richer sims go. All of the Capp teens went and their children will most likely too. In fact I believe the only teen from Veronaville that didn't go was Puck. Downtown is my most impoverished area, and out of the children living there I can only think of 1 that I think I might send - the others I feel like they won't benefit from it. Strangetown and Riverblossom sims also don't tend to go to university as often, due to the small town most go straight into farming or local businesses.

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Mad Poster
#7 Old 5th Jun 2016 at 9:36 PM
Yes - they all go, because I like playing Uni. Once in a while one will drop out, though.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 5th Jun 2016 at 9:41 PM
Ahah! I never had a sim drop out..it is too easy to have good grades, and I'd have to force them to not exceed. Or simply have them drop out for the fun of it...(is it even fun)

The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#9 Old 5th Jun 2016 at 9:42 PM
No - story reasons. I like playing Uni - always have - but it's not for everyone.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Instructor
#10 Old 5th Jun 2016 at 9:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Rarr
I haven't played with college that much for some reason, but my best friend and I were playing alongside each other the other day and she mentioned that she wasn't going to send certain teens to college because of their storyline. I never actually considered not sending teens to college before that, but it made me curious about others' play styles! There are definitely a few in my current neighborhood who have never rolled the want to go, and since I can upgrade their want slots with the batbox I probably won't send them. What do you do with your teens?

I seem to recall a mod that allowed all Sims to become young adults when aging up from teen regardless of their intent to go to University but I can't be sure if it still exists and/or is compatible with the UC. However, if it does exist and is compatible, I would consider it. Usually though, I have all teens go through University.

I don't get why so many Simmers hate Marsha Bruenig. She actually grows up to be quite pretty if you allow her to.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 5th Jun 2016 at 10:00 PM
I used to, but not as much now. As others wrote, certain teens would seem not to be college-types to me. My Sims in a cult would not be very likely to go to college, for instance.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#12 Old 5th Jun 2016 at 10:47 PM
No, they must qualify for uni. Some sims will go to community college in the main hood while others decide they have had enough of school and either start work (main hood young adults) right away, or perhaps not work at all. I like to have young adults at both home and away at uni. Last rotation I had 3 work at owned businesses, another was busking but ended up looking after her two babies instead and another one opened his own small shop. With mods you can have young adults who do not go to uni. All my teen sims have 10 days as young adults, uni or not.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Undead Molten Llama
#13 Old 5th Jun 2016 at 11:08 PM
I have no set "story line" for any of my Sims, but, like Jo, I do have rather stringent requirements for them to go to college (and, once they get there, to succeed and not wash out). So, in the end, only a relatively small percentage of my Sims go and, of those, not all make it to graduation. For instance, they have to have an LTW for a career that, to me, "requires" a degree to enter or max out. (Like, say, Medicine or Law.) Not all careers, in my mind, require a higher education, so if a Sim rolls an LTW for one of those careers or for a non-career-linked LTW, then they won't go to college. Instead, they get their "young adulthood" via Inteen's "independent teen" stage, wherein the second week of teenhood confers all adult privileges -- not having to go to school, being able to move out on their own, being able to enter the adult track of the careers, etc. -- on the "teen." I send college-bound teens to college and move non-college-bound ones out on their own when they reach "independent teen" age. Since I use a shorter-semester mod (48 hours instead of 72 hours), this has the benefit of keeping the ages of college-bound and non-college-bound siblings more or less in sync, as well. In fact, keeping ages more or less in sync is why I use the shorter-semester mod, not because I necessarily want Uni to be shorter. So...Yeah, that's me.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Scholar
#14 Old 5th Jun 2016 at 11:24 PM
Unlike most serious players here, *I* find playing UNI quite the chore sometimes. With some sims it's easier than with others.

I've had some (usually Knowledge sims) that would just continuously roll wants like "Write Term Paper", "Do Assignment", "Do Group Research", "Go To Class", "Make Dean's List" and so on. If I just helped them do those wants, they would continuously be in a platinum mood, which helped them complete subsequent wants faster... Some went so fast that after filling their class performance bar, they had more than 48 hours left to pursue hobbies or woohoo around before the next exam. Or, if I just advanced their clock to the next exam consistently, they could even finish UNI in under seven days!

But most sims will drag it out over the full 24 days, where they will strictly do their minimal duty - autonomously go to class every day -, so they at least fill the bar enough to make their exams. But they won't do anything more college related, and certainly NOT roll any of the college wants.
And with my luck, they are family or popularity sims, who want nothing else but be friends/best friends/BFFs (most of which wants involve just waiting for their LTR to catch up) with everyone and their dogs. And while you're waiting for those wants to be fulfilled, their mood goes "down-down, diddlee-down"!!!
Or they can't come up with anything more imaginative than "play / tickle / hug / appreciate / give back rub / tell joke" with the same sim over and over again... I quickly lose interest in such boring sims.

Now sending a Romance sim to college, THAT can be extremely fun if they have at least made sufficient skill points to guarantee a full size class performance bar at every semester. They will want to get to know people and woohoo a lot. And they certainly won't mind if some of those people are their professors, who will give them good grades in return!

So, yeah, it may depend on the sim if I send them to college. If they do not gain sufficient skill points (minimum levels 1,4,4,1,4,4,1) before the deadline, I will not lock the want to go to college. And a sim only goes to college if they have the want AND the skill points. Yeah, that's harsh. But on the other hand, I would hate myself and my sims more, if I had to put them through UNI while they had little chance of graduating, because either they or I did not have the will or the skill to see it through.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#15 Old 5th Jun 2016 at 11:34 PM
So why not shorten your uni length.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#16 Old 5th Jun 2016 at 11:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
So why not shorten your uni length.

That is a good question, Jo. And I've thought about it, too. But if I did that, some sims would no longer have sufficient time to fill the performance bar, and thus not graduate.
If I want to prevent sims from having the experience of dropping out (or their parents from having a drop-out kid), I would have to increase the requirements for sims to go to college (4/5/5/4/5/5/4 in stead of 1/4/4/1/4/4/1), and even fewer sims would get to go.
Undead Molten Llama
#17 Old 5th Jun 2016 at 11:46 PM
They can still graduate if they don't have full performance meters. They just won't have a perfect GPA. So long as their GPA doesn't get to "D" levels, they're fine. And hey, not everyone who goes to college graduates summa cum laude, you know?

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Theorist
#18 Old 5th Jun 2016 at 11:59 PM
My sims must qualify for uni with a score based on grades, badges, skills and hobby points. I'm playing with a shorter uni mod (48 hours) .
Since simday 170, teens who are not going to uni are YA for 4 simdays in the main hood. I currently have 2, one is working at an owned clothing store, the other one is hospitalized (sick with pneumonia).
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#19 Old 6th Jun 2016 at 12:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by BoilingOil
That is a good question, Jo. And I've thought about it, too. But if I did that, some sims would no longer have sufficient time to fill the performance bar, and thus not graduate.
If I want to prevent sims from having the experience of dropping out (or their parents from having a drop-out kid), I would have to increase the requirements for sims to go to college (4/5/5/4/5/5/4 in stead of 1/4/4/1/4/4/1), and even fewer sims would get to go.

I still find it quite easy for most sims to pass even with 48 hour semesters. They still pass even with less than half a white bar, they normally end up on a C. Often they have not got all skills needed and still pass. Are those skill points you listed? Now that I have removed slower skilling I am having to set limits with the simblender because I would find it very hard to only have 1 point in any skill. Of course mine have double the time but even if they didn't I could see toddlers having 1-2 points in every area. Currently I am limiting them to 3.

I also have sims who barely pass and a couple go on academic probation, due to them having zero wants to do anything but blow bubbles, but so far none have had to drop out. I allow smarter sims to invite them to do group study and that normally takes care of things.

~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#20 Old 6th Jun 2016 at 12:49 AM
Yes and no.

I cheat. I use boolproptestingcheats on/Summon/Semester Tester.

I mostly use Uni to hook up couples. I rarely ever play it. When I have accomplished what I wanted with college, I click Graduate on the Tester. They graduate 4.0. And you can still throw the party.

But now that I am trying rotation for the first time, I may just start playing it. Back in the day when I first got Sims 2 all I played was Uni and I loved it! I love the feel of Uni...I will never go to college in RL so this is what I get to experience of it.

"Oh look, my grandchild is now an elder. They grow up so fast. Gee, I wonder when I'll finally graduate college." Sims 2
Theorist
#21 Old 6th Jun 2016 at 1:15 AM
Only if they qualify do they get to attend. Since I don't play the actual university neighborhoods (no patience for or interest in), but instead play all young adults in the main hood instead (Squinge's Mega College Pack), it's easier to be a little more specific about the criteria for attending college. Important factors are how well they did in high school - grades, skill level, after school activities (http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=519610 ), after school job, household income levels (do they qualify for a loan or scholarship if needed) and of course the sim themselves. If a sim shows no interest in keeping their grades up during the childhood and teen stage, then 90% of the time they will not attend college.

Also, I base what type of job/career a sim can have on what level of education they complete. So if a sim drops out during high school and becomes an independent teen (SimBlender), they will have a very low waged career or remain unemployed for a period of time. Same with a high school only graduate. Some college (at least 2 yrs) gets them a mid-level waged career but they are not allowed promotions past Lv 5. College graduates are allowed to reach Lv 10 of any career, but have the option of starting in higher waged careers right away.

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#22 Old 6th Jun 2016 at 1:19 AM
I like to have young adults at both home and away at uni. Last rotation I had 3 work at owned businesses, another was busking but ended up looking after her two babies instead and another one opened his own small shop. With mods you can have young adults who do not go to uni. All my teen sims have 10 days as young adults, uni or not.

If you don't mind me asking, do you use the mod from Squinge? I did a google search and couldn't find any other mod, but that one seems confusing to use.

Also, for anyone that has mentioned playing a "community college," what did you use to create that? Did you just build a lot that has skilling items?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#23 Old 6th Jun 2016 at 1:25 AM
I use a couple of mods. Squinge's cake gives a memory of going to uni so I only use that when a YA is going to go to community college -college from home in the main hood. They walk off their lot to go to class, have a performance meter etc. You don't get mascots and things though. For YA not doing further education I grow them up with the simblender since this give no gone to uni memory.

There is also another mod by Lion which will give you a working uni dorm in the main hood complete with dormies and mascots and silly coaches. I tried that as well. These days i keep the uni experience of mascots for uni only.

I also use a mod that lets me hire YA for owned shops, All college interactions on any lot and YA in the main hood, so dormies come and buy from my shops.

~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#24 Old 6th Jun 2016 at 1:32 AM
I use a couple of mods. Squinge's cake gives a memory of going to uni so I only use that when a YA is going to go to community college -college from home in the main hood. They walk off their lot to go to class, have a performance meter etc. You don't get mascots and things though. For YA not doing further education I grow them up with the simblender since this give no gone to uni memory.

There is also another mod by Lion which will give you a working uni dorm in the main hood complete with dormies and mascots and silly coaches. I tried that as well. These days i keep the uni experience of mascots for uni only.

I also use a mod that lets me hire YA for owned shops, All college interactions on any lot and YA in the main hood, so dormies come and buy from my shops.

So when you age up with the cake, it will let them go to class from home? And when using the simblender, you can just select young adult as an age? I haven't used it before and don't want to phenomenally mess things up. It's really interesting hearing all of this! I really never heard of any of these mods before and never really thought to look for them at all!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#25 Old 6th Jun 2016 at 1:41 AM
Even aged with the blender they still have a class meter, sometimes they try and go. The difference is the memory. Cake= went to uni memory, blender= no went to uni memory. I use other mods too like a semester tester and the college adjuster as well as Cyjon's pizza box. The one issue apart from them trying to escape to class is i have to manually track the days. Now interestingly if you give them a regular job the car pool will arrive on the proper days even though your sim doesn't have a day panel. A couple of other people here do the same,... katya and laura (is really bad with peoples names)

~Call me Jo~
Page 1 of 3