Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Sep 2021 at 3:49 AM
Default Positive General Discussion for The Sims 4
A positive discussion thread for all and nothing about the game the sims 4.

I killed a sim today, and felt really bad about it. I did want them gone, to make room in the household for a new generation, but thought and execution (dum dum dum) is not exactly the same thing.

(Concerning the title: there are many threads here for complaints and negative opinions - this is not one of them).
Advertisement
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#2 Old 5th Sep 2021 at 10:30 AM
I disagreed in advance, it will become negative in a while.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 5th Sep 2021 at 11:01 AM
Hello @Inge Jones. I'm not sure how to make a thread asking for no negativity, which I see here a lot; but you are all welcome to chat here without it. I think the idea of having a general discussion thread is a good one, but the one in this section is too uninteresting to read and post in, for all the complaints. It's just a game, and directed to children - it's silly enough without us having to make it worse. I'm derailing my own thread now, it's not meant to be a complaint thread!

The sim killed was made so by continuously touching a lava bomb, being errratic all this topsy turvy emotions made it do so, and since the whole tribe came running to put it out in some uniform heroic attempt to discourage the player, I had to stop all their emphatic reaching out one by one, over and over until they all ran to the end of the lot to stand there waiting - as did the sim on fire, just stood there, no screams or flapping the air for a long while as if to really make the player think about what they were doing.
Forum Resident
#4 Old 5th Sep 2021 at 11:49 AM
It is good that people who want to talk about the sims 4 without negativity have their space, they are in charge of making it work. In the title it says positive, I do not think that anyone enters to speak negatively intentionally. As long as modthesims allows criticism in the other topics I am fine.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 5th Sep 2021 at 12:02 PM
Hello @Sokisims, thanks for your permission. The moderators are in charge of upholding the rules, not the OP of a thread, and constructive criticism is not the same thing as whining.

Hopefully this thread can be chatting, and not just reacting to me wanting a positive conversation. Tell me what's on your mind.
#6 Old 5th Sep 2021 at 12:27 PM
Well what I particularly appreciate about The Sims franchise is how many lovely people I have got to know who I wouldn't have done if it were not for our shared interest in the game. In many ways the game is just a vehicle to the community.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 5th Sep 2021 at 12:31 PM
Ah, yes, I started to play TS3, and the first sim I made died on me (by its on accord) which of course caught me by surprise and I wanted to know how to do differently, and starting searching for info on the game online I was pleasantly surprised at the massive amount of people playing this game, discussing it, modifiying it, enhancing it in different ways. It's almost equally as fun to read about the game as to playing it.
Field Researcher
#8 Old 5th Sep 2021 at 3:23 PM
I am not a negative person by nature, but I have gradually become so concerning this game. But I can say that the Sims 4 has many positives - which is a lot of the reason I continue to play. I only wish a few things could get better. But, alas, we got what we got. And though I said I will not touch Sims 5, like everyone I have the right to change my mind. Hence, I will remain hopeful that future Sims games will be much better. Keeping all my fingers and toes crossed - here's to the Llama.

You have to know how to accept rejection and reject acceptance. - Ray Bradbury
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 5th Sep 2021 at 3:51 PM
Yes, culture fosters cultural behaviour.

I won't buy sims 5, I've heard that it might be prescription and multiplayer, not interesting to me, and I think the profit of marketing to an younger audience makes it possible the game series will continue in that direction, so, not for me then.

I only started to play TS4 because I was attracted by the idea of influencing a game while in development; otherwise I don't buy Early Access games, as I think bugs are not very fun to deal with on a regular basis. I've posted in a lot of feedback threads at the sims official forum, and many feature I have wanted have been added to the game, so in retrospect I made a nice decision for myself. Of course many things could be better about any game, but the channel picked for feedback is as important as the constructive criticism.

I'm curious about how this new take on updating the game will be, the free 'refreshes' of packs. Beyond the glossy hip selling layer it seems it could be a nice direction for the game; perhaps EA is not selling as much as they want, and so the game is being polished and not just added to with DLC.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 5th Sep 2021 at 4:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
I disagreed in advance, it will become negative in a while.

I think it works only when not mentioning negativity, because that steers the discussion again to be a vent off place about the game lol.

But yeah, concrete topics help like... "are there any Sims you like that you felt guilt after killing them" or "how do feel about Sims death" (although the topic itself is dark, lul).

But yeah, I don't like either that it happens, but threads asking for being POSITIVITY ONLY often failed. So my advice would be to just titled with specific topic about a particular element of the game But this, What's Happening in Your Game, which akin to this one, seem mostly to have positive replies because its generic oppose to having "Positive Only Vibes" in its title. But yeah, despite my disliking for the game I do sincerely hope you have luck with this thread

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#11 Old 5th Sep 2021 at 6:09 PM
Dark topics are okay I think you both have a point, but let's try. And please, by all means, tell me about the sims you've killed. Or pick up the other threads in this thread, of things to talk about.

I've placed some extra dig pile stuff in the Forgotten Grotto, and am growing a Cowplant there, as a gate keeper, to send some sims to when they have fulfilled their generational duty. Still on the planning base though, let's see how I feel offing them off.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#12 Old 5th Sep 2021 at 7:40 PM
Well what I particularly appreciate about The Sims franchise is how many lovely people I have got to know who I wouldn't have done if it were not for our shared interest in the game. In many ways the game is just a vehicle to the community.

Definitely, Inge! I've met some great friends through the sims.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#13 Old 10th Sep 2021 at 2:58 PM
There isn't a lot of people here though; around 40 viewers of each forum page as most, and very few new threads made, and rarely answered. Has it always been like this?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#14 Old 10th Sep 2021 at 3:08 PM
No; I think there were a lot more people posting here before Sims 4. In fact, the community forums on this site were so popular at one time that for a while there was a seperate site for them called Sims2Community. In the early days of Sims 2 this was where most of the modders and tool makers congregated, during Sims 3 numbers dropped off for modders I think as NRaas became popular, although there was a lot of activity for modding and creating on the CAW forums here. Sims 4 seems to have little modding activity on this site compared to the previous iterations, and the only people talking about Sims 4 seem to want to point out what they hate about it!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#15 Old 10th Sep 2021 at 3:16 PM
Thank you! Yes, I see that trend. Perhaps the forum concept isn't as attractive for the main target group for TS4 either, and other media is used more, like youtube and twitter etc. As a congregation tool I mean.

Edit: Also, maybe the fact that the game is, as I've read, more open to modders than previous iterations, would make it more of an industry, and create less need for cooperation among players. That's a bit of a hard draw though.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#16 Old 10th Sep 2021 at 3:26 PM
Yes, and many of the toolmakers for Sims 4 modding have their own sites also. A lot of discussion that used to happen on this site now happens on discord; MTS used to have its own chat server I think but now have channels on Discord. I see a lot of mods on Patreon and Tumblr now which didn't happen so much years ago, for Sims 2 certainly the main downloads were found on forums. Same for Sims 1 (Yahoo groups were popular back then too).
#17 Old 10th Sep 2021 at 3:31 PM
Actually in Sims 1 in the main content was on static html web pages a bit like Simlogical. The forum downloads really started mainly from TS2 - this site in fact! Then others followed suit.

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#18 Old 10th Sep 2021 at 3:39 PM
Maybe that was an intended strategy from EA - divide and conquer! (I'm just kidding). I've seen that a lot of modders have their own Patreon though, and read complaints from players about stuff locked behind pay walls (even though it technically isn't allowed).
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#19 Old 10th Sep 2021 at 4:24 PM
Well, TheSimsResource has had stuff behind a paywall for years, and EA even seem to endorse it (by inviting the site owners to events and suchlike).

@Inge Jones Yes of course! I think you're right, it just seems like forums have been around forever to me! But yes, your Simlogical and Aroundthesims and Gnohmon and Woobsha et al always existed just as HTML sites, although many added forums later.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#20 Old 11th Sep 2021 at 2:17 PM
Oh, I didn't know that, that was interesting.
Test Subject
#21 Old 11th Sep 2021 at 4:44 PM
One thing I really appreciate is the ability to delete sims freely. I had to make a new version of the Landgraabs because I wanted Johnny to be their son, and I can just delete the originals and place the new ones and the game doesn't care!

I also really like the combo build/buy modes, and the all-in-one cas and because it was really annoying having to switch between them in TS3. The cas is especially nice because in TS3 you needed a mirror and a dresser, or a mod to prevent the makeover station from changing the amount of days left in a lifestage. I know this was also sort of an issue in this game, but at least they fixed it.

I know people miss shorter teens, but I'm glad I don't have to deal with separate meshes for teen and up clothing. I'm still bitter about the TS3 store selling the teen and adult meshes separately. It also dramatically cuts down on the "you aged up and for your birthday gift you get a horrible random outfit!" thing. I'll decide if I'm going to let grandma wear that, thanks.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#22 Old 11th Sep 2021 at 6:41 PM
Oh yes, this new feature of just entering CAS on the personal UI panel for Likes/Dislikes is very handy for those households/saves where I don't feel it fits the aesthetics to place a furniture for changing clothes; like my neolithic one. I play on short lifespan in it and usually just let the children have whatever clothes the game picks for them, and give them more proper looking ones when they are teens, and they seem to just keep them all through YA, adult and elder stage, it's very handy.

I remember appreciating the option to so easily delete and manage sims, when I started to play this iteration; and so when a new pack comes I always look in a fresh save on it, and decide what to do with the premades. I had lots of issues with the premade households in the Cats & Dogs world, they appearantly got stuck a lot, and produced some errors, so I deleted them first thing when loading my regular save. Usually I just evict premades though, for several reasons.

Is it safe to delete sims once they exist and are known by other sims in the save?
Instructor
#23 Old 11th Sep 2021 at 10:59 PM
Actually in Sims 1 in the main content was on static html web pages a bit like Simlogical. The forum downloads really started mainly from TS2 - this site in fact! Then others followed suit.

When "The Sims" came out there were the news sites, owned or bought and later closed by Google and many Simmers made friends on those. I subscribed to two Sims ones with slightly different names. There used to be terrific flame threads as I can remember and I cannot remember any moderators. Does anybody remember those?

There were threads for everything you could think of under the sun in them then. A very well subscribed one for Terry Pratchett with some linking up and meetings. I think these later led to many of the Facebook sites later on.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#24 Old 11th Sep 2021 at 11:06 PM
Oh yes, the Usenet groups and also Bulleting boards! I remember talking about SimCity and music on those.
Instructor
#25 Old 11th Sep 2021 at 11:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Oh yes, the Usenet groups and also Bulleting boards! I remember talking about SimCity and music on those.

Ah yes! I had forgotten the name that was used. Thank you. I expect some of them only exist now in the webnet archive. So much has been lost from those days.
Page 1 of 3