Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Theorist
#151 Old 27th Sep 2011 at 6:51 PM Last edited by Babahara : 27th Sep 2011 at 7:07 PM.
Hmm, well, I think that if I try, I will break a lot of rules without ever noticing.

Please clarify the rules.

This rule puzzles me:
- You may not order groceries for delivery via the phone or computer.

Does it mean that once you run out of food, your sims will starve? After all, fishing is not allowed, either.

Another rule:
- You may not invite over any Sims except Sims they are have red hearts with, or are engaged to.

But in that case it would be impossible to marry anybody, as you can't gain red hearts with a sim during one single conversation. Do you have to wait till they happen to come again?

Another question is about the zombie mod. If my sim is turned into the zombie, it breaks the rule of having no supernaturals, right? Zombies are immortal. I guess it's too dangerous to use this mod then, as it can ruin the whole challenge randomly.

Rayea, the link in your sig doesn't work.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#152 Old 27th Sep 2011 at 7:04 PM
no, what you do is take your fridge and dump it outside, probably under the house. then you buy a new FULL fridge.
untill certain restrictions are lifted (like the ones that stop your STR7 and below sims from leaving the home lot at all) there are no groceries to go buy from. so sims just buy a new fridge instead (and consider themselves having gone scavenging for grocieries) hm..we need to get a food bank com lot set up....maybe i will try making a garrage sale place hehe
i clicked on my link d it took me to here
http://www.phpbbplanet.com/rithfree...mforum=rithfree
have you got some hardcore anti-sales blocker maybe? the free forums have banners unfortunatley, that might be affecting if you have something like that. or antivirus and protections turned to max.
try this one, which is direct. even logged out , i managed to get to the forum hehe
Theorist
#153 Old 27th Sep 2011 at 7:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Rayea
no, what you do is take your fridge and dump it outside, probably under the house. then you buy a new FULL fridge.
untill certain restrictions are lifted (like the ones that stop your STR7 and below sims from leaving the home lot at all) there are no groceries to go buy from. so sims just buy a new fridge instead (and consider themselves having gone scavenging for grocieries)

Thanx, I see now. Still willing to try this challenge.

Quote: Originally posted by Rayea
i clicked on my link d it took me to here
have you got some hardcore anti-sales blocker maybe? the free forums have banners unfortunatley, that might be affecting if you have something like that. or antivirus and protections turned to max.
try this one, which is direct. even logged out , i managed to get to the forum hehe

I've got no idea what's wrong, but both links do not work, they say "your PC is not connected to the Internet". I know that youtube is blocked here, but nothing else. Surely these aren't youtube links, though...
Field Researcher
#154 Old 27th Sep 2011 at 8:33 PM Last edited by Rayea : 29th Sep 2011 at 7:42 PM.
no, they arent u tube, but the banner ads might be doing it. which means the mediafire would also be likely to do the same becasue that also has banner ads?
on a sader note, my sims2 instilation just BFBVFS so no more sims2 for a while.
its showing the same simptoms as my last problem, not loading at all, closing the prosess seconds after it appears and similar.
i removed the last things i installed and the last things i installed BEFOR this also, but nether of these have had any luck, and last time it happend, i had to do a total reinstall of windows to fix it *sigh* becasue every time i uninstalled sims2 then reinstalled sims2, it worked till i turned the pc off then jumped me once i turned it back on again. and i dont think i will have time to sit about redoing things yet again with my current shedule for next month being sleep/work/eat/sleep rinse and repeate.

(BFBVFS = Big Fiery Ball Visible From Space)

yes, it takes time to get a sim to love you but alot of sims walk by and the locals do this alot.i mean ALOT lol. so you can talk to them alot and flirt and hug and stuff if they like your sims back.
zombies, well if a sims you are playing goes zombie (thru fightclub fighting interaction and loosing) you have to move them out of your lot to another lot, and keep lpaying them as normal but they cant progress the chalenge. if this is your Founder, yes its bad casue you have to start again, unless your Founder has a spouse and/or kids who can carry on the Good Fight. (at least, i *think* thats the way it would work)

*edit again
just have to tell you guys about a place i just found. i allready have some of the creators work from GoS but her older site has some absolutely AwesomeSauce items on it, and links to some real gems hit the see all button to get links to stuff at GoS too her name is Ja and she has a totaly awesom looking desert replacement that is fallout extracted terrain, and road covers that have cracked asphalt and extraced fallout3 hood deco, cardboard box babyroom gear...oooh i love the stuff even if i cant use it atm
Test Subject
#155 Old 29th Sep 2011 at 1:37 PM
VT - I'm kind of curious to see how that's going to work out, too, as I thought we weren't allowed to leave children alone.

Quote: Originally posted by Babahara
But in that case it would be impossible to marry anybody, as you can't gain red hearts with a sim during one single conversation. Do you have to wait till they happen to come again?
I had my founder fall in love while in college. I used the Uni time she had (before I rolled the double 6's) to make friends and find a mate. Otherwise, it would be very difficult to breed.

I've lifted politics - so now my sims can enjoy maternity leave, they can take a job in the same career if they get fired, and, although I should be allowed to ignore chance cards, I'm still choosing an option.. And I've also lifted Pet Service - so the foggy elder illness is a thing of the past. Now sims have more time to lift restrictions.

Life continues to get easier - though most of the sims are still unhappy. Not being able to lock in wants makes it difficult. But I have to confess that I broke a rule on purpose because I just couldn't take it anymore. They had roaches for the third time, and every five minutes all the family members were obsessed about running downstairs and stomping on them. They were driving me batty. I didn't particularly care that they had them, and it didn't bother me that they were crying about it all the time, but the stopping what they were doing every five minutes - and then of course everyone was always getting the flu, which was in danger to spreading to their townie friends, who would be sick forever and keep bringing the sickness back into the house. I would have simply kept the door locked unless one of them was working - but the doggie needed to go outside to potty. It was so freaking annoying that I almost quit playing altogether. So, my bad. Next time I'll try to man up and let it ride.

So a word to future players - keep an eye on your garbage can. Your cranky teens will go down and kick it over, even if you try to stop them, and jerk townies will walk by and kick it over for no reason.
Mad Poster
#156 Old 29th Sep 2011 at 3:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Ileeya
I would have simply kept the door locked unless one of them was working - but the doggie needed to go outside to potty.

When you think about it, it's kinda funny what our human sensibilities bring to the situation. In-game, there's not really a problem with letting a pet pee indoors, is there?

I empathize, though. The roach/flu thing has been VERY hard on some ACs I've done in the past! I remember one time when the roaches made it inside the house, and I actually just put walls around them. That helped (still had some outside, iirc), but it was a pain having a 1x1, inaccessible "room" taking up space in the middle of things!
Test Subject
#157 Old 29th Sep 2011 at 7:20 PM
LOL! That's pretty funny.

I guess, in hindsight, it wouldn't have hurt anything to let Ollie pee on the floor. But you're right - the idea is gross and I've always taught the dogs to go outside. What's funny, though, is that with only one bathroom, the humans pee on the floor more often the dog ever would! :P
Lab Assistant
#158 Old 30th Sep 2011 at 11:22 AM
I solved the roach problem by putting my trashcan inside the fence with a locked gate. The pet has the whole lot to pee in, but Townies can't get the can. Grandma's Comfort Soup will knock out the flu and Family Perks are unlocked with R1. HTH

P.S. I'll be away for the weekend for RL fun; if you call running around in a kilt and sword RL ; ). See you Sunday night.
Test Subject
#159 Old 30th Sep 2011 at 11:53 AM
I think running around in a kilt and sword sounds like a blast!

If I'm lucky enough to have a family sim (I roll them randomly), then I'll have access to Grandma's Comfort Soup. And I like the idea of enclosing the trashcan, but that doesn't stop the townies from getting sick and never getting better. They'll transfer the illness back. Or does the soup cure them, too? Still, it's a lot more realistic than spraying - sigh, dangit, I just couldn't take it.

I've lifted Architecture. So now the family can enjoy much more space. I've added on to the house, and it's looking like a fortress.

It has almost a homey look to it now, the family can enjoy a wider dining space and a second bathroom. I also put in another small bedroom and a piano. Things are looking up.

One of the adults is in Intelligence. I think he's been demoted almost as many times as he's been promoted. I'm hoping he can actually lift the restriction before he dies of old age. At least he can still advance his career now that he's an elder.

And this...is what the heiress was wearing when she morphed into an adult. This is the goofiest outfit, yet, besides one of the males wearing mismatching plaid 2 generations ago. I'm going to have to look at this for her entire adulthood.

Since the newspaper is being published again, adults looking for a job may only take the first one listed. One of the first ones that came up (that hadn't already been lifted) was Crime. The heriess's husband got Science.
Field Researcher
#160 Old 30th Sep 2011 at 3:11 PM Last edited by Rayea : 30th Sep 2011 at 4:01 PM.
i wouldnt say its goofy looking, but it is definately not apropriate, those tights will last about a day runing from things trying to eat you after an apocalypse.
i plan to make a start again once i fix the game (be it reinstall og game or windows) and im going to make a bigger effort to make everything built BEFOR i start with the mods.
so i will build the buildings (befor lifted restrictions and after restriction livted versions i will need) in a seperate 'hood and then make a new actual hodd for the chalenege (so i dont need to move the zombies folder as much, that might have casue the game to get sulky with me)
daftest transition i had was patty comming to full adulthood in a fur coat and high heels, i dread to think what she had under it....if only we had coats that were over the top of normal clothing hehe.
but i cant make up my mind between the red-hued apox sky or the stormy but normal one from GoH. i might have it half and half for storytelling purposes. start the first few generations or so in the red, then after maybe lifting the first 2 sets (r1 and r2) i might swap over to the clear but stormy looking sky dome to show the worlds starting to get back to normalish.
and that house looks great, Ileeya

*edit what about replacement defalts for those ea outfits? or removers, im sure i have seen some hiders that can hide hats and stuff, maybe someone can make a defalt replacement set that turns the tutu's and tiaras into dungarees and ripped jeans, just for the apocalypse?
Forum Resident
#161 Old 30th Sep 2011 at 3:22 PM
Be glad it was one of your females! I read an AC story where a guy transitioned into the male version of that outfit, so yeah... it gets worse.
Mad Poster
#162 Old 30th Sep 2011 at 3:32 PM
Perhaps y'all should have a special Apocalypse Downloads folder which replaces the regular downloads folder when you play that neighborhood? Which wouldn't help with the Maxis outfits, alas.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Lab Assistant
#163 Old 3rd Oct 2011 at 12:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
Perhaps y'all should have a special Apocalypse Downloads folder which replaces the regular downloads folder when you play that neighborhood? Which wouldn't help with the Maxis outfits, alas.

Some of us have already indicated we do that. I don't because if I play any other 'hood at the same time I'll never finish the challenge. I have no custom outfits installed in the current folder for the first time since discovering CC. Maxis only, for now--and I've gotten some doosies showing up. Much as I like kilts (I shivered the whole day, BTW), it was ridiculous on my first Heir in a Nuclear Winter augmented by Crumplebottom Marky's "More Snow in Winter" mod. He got a much more fitting suit on reaching Elder. Meadow Thayer got a halter top and long skirt on being aged to adult. I so longed to replace that top. I shudder to think of what lies in the future satorially.
Field Researcher
#164 Old 3rd Oct 2011 at 5:50 PM Last edited by Rayea : 4th Oct 2011 at 4:41 PM.
well i have some defalt ea replacements for some things...swimsuits and kids clothes. they are old though.
what we need is someoen that makes clothing, and someone that makes defalts to get togeter and make some replacements that are grunged up, cut up and generaly blergh looking out of the original ea items (where possable) and make a batch of replacements of the stranger (and wholy unsuitable for an apocalipse, such as fur coat with high heels or football gear types) ones and replace em with something suitable, but JUST for an apocalypse. you know, dirty smeared cowboy shirt instead of clean one ect.
there is always the castaways stuff you could use but its not defalt (and has no shoes, sadly. cant have everyone wandering barefoot in a nuclear winter, except maybe the zombies...they shouldnt even feel the temperatures realy lol)

or you could grab that global Pescado had that allowed you to buy clothing on home lots (or an item that does it like the hacked hatstand thing) and consider it not actualy cheating, but making sure that your survivors dont go through life in tiaras and tutu's. (think of it like...if your transition goes borked casue your sims wearing a number painted on his chest, and bermuda shorts with flipflops...yes, a townie had that who patty brought home...i was all what the flip?! casue he was fine in his army outfit and outdoors...then as the only present your sim gets is something the family scavenged, its one trip to the bodyshop for getting something decent. then after that your on your own. i would say it was the family scavenging for useable clothing befor your sims birthday becasue they know their current stuff getting too small hehe)

*edit ah, jeffallenroberts that means you were doing it right but thats also why your supposed to keep a little hip flask in your sporen (sp?) with something to warm you up in it. but hugs anyway, being cold about the knees can be a pain, specialy if your whirling your claymour about two handed ^^

*edit2 ooh, thats an idea....*files away reminder to make sure all future garbage areas have a gated are to place the trashcan into* if i make them that way to begin with, less to add ^^ (plus i think i got a deco dumpster i can use also, someplace..and there is the trashcan fire fireplace too hehe, make it look like they dispose of rubbish in fire to make their lot less atractive to zombies (via smell at least.)
Test Subject
#165 Old 4th Oct 2011 at 1:41 PM
Yes, the whole point to the 'growing up in whatever the game gives you and don't fix your hair or makeup' thing is that sims don't care about appearance until after Showbiz is lifted. It would be helpful though, to have default Apox wear to morph into so your sims still fit into the theme. Grungy everyday already available Maxis clothes would even work, because I'm always assuming that every outfit the family wears was scrounged from somewhere.

My heiress's husband FINALLY unlocked Intelligence. I didn't think he'd ever do it with all the demotions he kept getting. Now the family can enjoy many new things. Guests no longer have to have a friend status before being invited into the house. They can call friends on the phone to chat instead of always inviting them over. There are a lot of other benefits, as well. Specifically - they can now hire an exterminator - YAY! Although I do have to say - thank you, Jeff, for the awesome idea to put the garbage can in an enclosed space where disgruntled townies, teens, and kids can't reach it. I have it fenced in with a locked gate. Only the heiress can get to the garbage, now.

The heiress's sister unlocked Crime. I wasn't particularly worried about lifting that one right away, because, even though the bills are 12k a week, the family has quite the nest egg. But that was the job in the paper the day she looked, and the next few times she looked the only jobs available were Tier 3 jobs or jobs for restrictions that were already lifted. She did very well in her career, so I just left her in it.

The heiress's husband got fired from his job in Science. He is allowed to get a job in Science again, but it hasn't come up as the first job listed (still limited to the first job listed in the paper), and he ended up with a job in Business. So far he's doing well.

The heiress herself is in Science and doing well.

Finding level 2 jobs will get progressively harder with each career that's unlocked since they can only take the first job listed. It could take half an adulthood to find a job that needs to be done, lol.
Doing all the things, and *mostly* not failing.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#166 Old 4th Oct 2011 at 4:55 PM
Ileeya, that might be a problem that shouldn't be happening. If the first job available to you is in Tier 3, you can look at the second. If its for a job that has been done, too bad, better luck tomorrow. Society isn't ready for Tier 3 jobs yet, so they shouldn't even be in the paper. I didn't get around to hacking the jobs as well as I had wanted to, so there's your work around ruling.
Test Subject
#167 Old 4th Oct 2011 at 11:00 PM
Oh, thanks. That will make things a little easier, lol.
Theorist
#168 Old 5th Oct 2011 at 4:08 PM
I think I give up, haha, there are still too many rules even with the helpful file of additional rules. Not that it's a big contribution to this thread, but I just felt like saying it Maybe I need to train my memory
Lab Assistant
#169 Old 8th Oct 2011 at 1:10 AM Last edited by jeffallenroberts : 9th Oct 2011 at 2:39 PM. Reason: correct punctuation, Add new information
AAaaarrrrrgggh! I still haven't unlocked anything in R2, except Service Pet. Mom has been in Law since giving birth to her second child. She's been at level 9 for a Sim-week, with a full performance bar and all the skills, and still can't get promoted! Her husband maxed two careers and raised the kids. The pet lived out its whole life and died two days ago. Her daughter grew up, but can't move out or marry her boyfriend. Aaaarrrgggh!

Quote: Originally posted by Babahara
I think I give up, haha, there are still too many rules even with the helpful file of additional rules. Not that it's a big contribution to this thread, but I just felt like saying it Maybe I need to train my memory

Read the top of the thread. The rules are there to provide a challenge, not to frustrate. If you make a mistake, just fix it and go on. No need to give up! Really, despite the start of my post, this is fun. How often have you just played one happy family after another? Enough to get boring? How often have you tried to make a family disfunctional, only to have the game routines "fix" everything? (How often have you looked up the spelling of disfunctional, only to find your Dictionary omits it?) Here's a chance to do something DIFFERENT! Come on, join the party.

Edit; Well, I've demonstrated that playing a modified game does not qualify as knowing how the game is intended to work. I've always had a mod that removes the friends requirement from jobs, not installed this time, and did not know how to read the friend count information in the employment panel. Mom needed more friends to be promoted.

Phaenoh, I've removed the locker for Law, but still don't have the Find Own Place option in the paper. I see it is not greyed out in your description for the rules. Any thoughts?
Doing all the things, and *mostly* not failing.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#170 Old 9th Oct 2011 at 6:37 PM
Good catch jeff. Looks like when I was making changes to the newspaper for Journalism, I hid that option. Editing the pie menus are hard; I can't seem to do half for one and half for another, its either all in one unlocker or none. Remove Journalism temporarily so you can move out. I'll remember to fix that on my next round of updates.
Field Researcher
#171 Old 11th Oct 2011 at 9:52 PM Last edited by Rayea : 11th Oct 2011 at 10:12 PM.
still havent goten my sims2 fixed yet but of course, i am still searching for stuff and found these defalt replacements for your foundations, decks and bare walls. since these are perfect for us using apox hoods, i thought i would share the find.
also ghost town hood deco for some derelict appartments and various hood deco's that might help to make your hood feel derelict enough hehe (its near the bottom but theres also a couple of grungied items in the list too)

and at least you managed to get to R2 jeffallenroberts my game must hate me casue my sims stank it to death maybe thats why it imploded? XD

*edit wow..i had no idea i shared such tastes as these guys but some of my older fave creators also have apox hoods. someplace i still have Ghani's stillsuits Ghanima's fallout 3 objects and she has a sort of blog about the life of her apocallyptic surviors, if anyone is feeling stuck for ideas and motivations
Test Subject
#172 Old 12th Oct 2011 at 3:00 AM
Rayea, I've had trouble with my game refusing to load and the problem was evidently the group.cache. Once that was deleted (it rebuilds), the game loaded normally. From time to time, I'd have to delete it. Then, for several months, WoW got all my gaming attention. When the urge to play Sims came back, sure enough, it wouldn't load. I'd forgotten about the group.cache problem, and uninstalled. Reinstalling didn't go as well as it could have, because the Pets disc insists Pets is still on my computer. Nope. Spent days trying to straighten that out, googling ways to fix it. Nope. No Pets. Sad. A prosperity neighborhood in which pets were very prominent, down the drain.

Phae, love this variant idea, the tiers. It makes me want to finish out my Sims 2 collection beyond Seasons. That would make birthday gift-giving so simple for my family.

In my Apocalypse attempts, the Sims are allowed access to appearance changing and wardrobe immediately after aging, solely for the purpose of being 'groomed' and dressed appropriately. Zombified playables also receive a makeover.
Field Researcher
#173 Old 12th Oct 2011 at 6:08 PM
right now i dont know what to do first.
*grabs russett and feeds hot fudge sundae cake or cookies, whichever is preferd*

i dont know whether to bang my head against the wall (for all the frustration i have had befor), dance, sing, cry or just stuff my face with chocolate (i had some fudge brownie pudding, im bad i know but why not, im celebrating!)
if you had not mentioned groups.cache i would never have googled it, found the threads here and at the wiki for deleting em and found my game runing again with no loss so far.

to remove the pets, check the sims wiki for how to totaly remove it (theres CCcleaner and regestry cleaning in there but it might help you out )incase your problem is windows thinking it still has your game in there someplace. but at least...

I CAN BEGIN AGAIN (this time with better decorated hood, better real fallout kitchen, thanks Ghani and maybe a real start with the apropriate amount of zombies)
all i realy need now, is confermation from someone in the know, that sims Clean Installer will clean all the way up to mansions and gardens and i might be able to even upload here at MtS
Test Subject
#174 Old 12th Oct 2011 at 9:49 PM
Hot fudge sundae works, thanks! Glad that was the problem, it's so easily fixed. Repeatedly, in my case, but easy. Wonderful!

I spent a couple of days googling fixes for the Pets thing when it happened, including registry cleaning, etc. Two days into that, I remembered the group.cache, a real headdesk moment. May be worth searching again, just in case I overlooked something, or a new suggestion has been added. It's been since December. Haven't had the heart to delete the prosperity neighborhood, just in case.

Btw, I've downloaded those houses. And lots of other content. Now to go try them out.
Lab Assistant
#175 Old 17th Oct 2011 at 12:15 AM Last edited by jeffallenroberts : 17th Oct 2011 at 12:44 AM.
Here's a new one. I was playing forward the Sim-bin families. The Ottomas family had already been played some. The teen son was grown up and his sister a teen, so I moved them out. That left no-one to watch the kids (Duh!). Dad stayed home from work. He was fired, and the game went into an endless loop telling me so. It didn't freeze the game, so I quit normally and deleted the caches to no avail. The game loaded normally, but the household is still stuck endlessly telling me that he was fired. The rest of the family plays, but Dad can't do anything. I tried the Bat-box, without effect. I'll now remove the Politics locker and try to load.

Edit: That worked to a degree, but didn't solve the whole problem. Peter wasn't fired, he used a vacation day, but he was stuck in the "I've been fired" animation. After three retries I used the "Force Resets" option on the Bat-box. I've always been too scared to try that one. It worked. Sorry Phea, no error log as I didn't have Testing Cheats enabled.
Page 7 of 43