Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

GunMod's Camera Mod 3.1 -- All Game Versions --

by GunMod Posted 19th Oct 2005 at 1:00 AM - Updated 28th Sep 2009 at 7:55 AM by -Maylin-

611 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 545 Feedback Posts, 65 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 4 of 25
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#76 Old 27th Oct 2005 at 1:24 AM
@Cazkiwi

I did this becuase of some suggestions by the community when I redid the camera mod.
Basically the regular camera mod is for playing, and not for close detail and the Free Mode (Hit the TAB key) is for extra detail and closer views.

Sorry if I didn't make that clear enough.
I understand I can't make everyone happy so I try to find a balance that will give everyone a little of what they want.

- GunMod
Freelance Game/Software Designer
GunMod's Forums

Tip to Never Get Lost: Remember, No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#77 Old 27th Oct 2005 at 1:24 AM
Quote: Originally posted by JadeEliott
Hello:

I wanted to thank you for the wonderful work you are doing with your camera modifications, I could not play without them now.

I have asked in your thread and received no reply, so I am trying this method as I am growing desperate and perhaps you would be more wiling to answer if I asked very nicely here...

I wish to make two modifications to your camera files...if you are not inclined to do them, would you at least give a quick explanation as to how I could do them myself?

I wish to change the following:

In neighborhood view, I want to change the pitch so that I can view more parallel to the ground. Your old neighborhood cam had this feature, so that I could view a house as if I were standing in front of it. Now I can only get the camera to about a 30% angle, and no lower.

Second, I wish to change the zoom in your live camera file...so I can get as close as I use to be able to do in your old camera file.

Would you be willing to help. Please?

Thank you,

Jade

Ok I thought I answered this last night but maybe I didn't. Sorry about that.

The reason I raised the down pitch is because the camera would get kicked out of a zoom mode if it is below 30 degrees. In other words, say you zoom into a house, then start to lower the camera (pitch) At 30 degrees or so the camera would some times fly out of zoom, depending on the altitude of the surrounding terrain. If the entire neighborhood was completely flat, this is not an issue, but if they are any hills near the area that your are lowering the pitch, these hills throw the camera out of zoomed mode. That is why I went with a miniumum pitch of 30 degrees.

But if you want your camera's pitch to go lower,
then open the following:
NeighborhoodCamera.txt
Found in your My Documents/EA Games/The Sims 2/Cameras folder

Go to this line:
pitch (40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40 40) (87 87 87 87 87 87 87 87 87 87)

The first set of numbers (the 40's) are the minimium pitches for each zoom level. The first 40 is the farthest out zoom and the last 40 is the closest zoom pitch.
So alter the 40's to lower numbers to what you want.
Save the file.

For your next question, again there was a reason for this. I found anything farther out than 45 degrees zoom away from a lot cut the frame rates by half, so I locked it at 45 degrees.

To change this open the following:
LiveCamera.txt
Found in your My Documents/EA Games/The Sims 2/Cameras folder
zoom 1 (45 40 25 15 8 3)

THe first number (45) is the farthest away zoom and the 3 is the closiest.
Make the 45 a bigger number are your view will go farther away on the farthest zoom out.
be aware though, that not only will your frame rate drop, but the farther out you go, the more distorted the view may get (Picture a wide angle lens)

Hope this helps.

- GunMod
GunMod's Forums

Field Researcher
#78 Old 27th Oct 2005 at 1:36 AM
Thanks for answering all of your questions so helpfully!

Best,

Jade
Test Subject
#79 Old 27th Oct 2005 at 5:04 AM
GunMod's Camera
A great big belated thank you to you, GunMod--I downloaded this a week or so ago, and having been using it constantly to get pics in play since, I believe your camera mod is brilliant. Finally, I get pics with sims under trees, in front of stairs, etc.--and best of all, I can get close ups even with the dang roof on the house! Mod on, and thanks again.

---~{:> Rob
Lab Assistant
#80 Old 27th Oct 2005 at 8:46 AM
thanx gunmod, i'll stick to scrolling i think.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons
for you are crunchy and taste good with katchup.
Test Subject
#81 Old 27th Oct 2005 at 1:03 PM
I like this mod. Very good job.

Any chance you can make a first-sim-view mode ?
I mean a camera following the sim and showing what he sees,
like through his own eyes.
Lab Assistant
#82 Old 27th Oct 2005 at 5:00 PM
Again thanks for this mod.
Is there any way to save the camera position before using the free camera and restore it after. After using the free camera i always get a way far view.
Field Researcher
#83 Old 27th Oct 2005 at 7:47 PM
I followed your directions and was able to get the camera where I wanted using regular and free cam mode. I am very pleased and took lots of pics of my new hood. You can see what this cam can do here:

http://www.sims2community.com/showthread.php?t=7871

Thanks again!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#84 Old 28th Oct 2005 at 12:17 AM
@Rodolfo

Yes as a matter of fact you can.
Not sure of the key combo, but I'm sure someone else here can tell you what it is.
Maybe SHIFT 1 through 9 or something. I know you can do it, but not sure of the key sequence.

@ JadeEliott

I'm glad you were able to use the instructions to get the cam you want.
Always happy to share my knowledge with people who can follow directions

- GunMod
GunMod's Forums

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#85 Old 28th Oct 2005 at 12:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by trebutor
I like this mod. Very good job.

Any chance you can make a first-sim-view mode ?
I mean a camera following the sim and showing what he sees,
like through his own eyes.

No for the simple reason that if the camera was in the sims eyes, you would have Z "fighting" from the head region (Z is in reference to clipping)
Basically you would have to destroy the head, move the camera to that location, then when changing back to normal cam, recreate the head. No way to do such with just the config files at the moment.

However, after I finish the Lighting mod Ive been working on, I'll gladly give it the old GunMod try.
I can't promise you anything so please don't hold me to it, but if I can make it work, I will.

- GunMod
GunMod's Forums

Lab Assistant
#86 Old 28th Oct 2005 at 3:15 PM
yeah that first person camera mode would be really something!

I noticed something funny, they camera would follow a sim only if it's the selected sim and it has the camera lock check, if one changes the camera lock to another sim the camera kinda stays between him and the active sim.

Also a question while in CAS while choosing accesories how to zoom out and view the entire sim (nowadays accessories affect more than just the head).

thanks!
Object(ive) Investigator
retired moderator
#87 Old 29th Oct 2005 at 12:52 AM
You could just switch to another step.
Lab Assistant
#88 Old 29th Oct 2005 at 1:01 AM
yep that's what i'd like to avoi, for example i'm in the glasses section on a particular item, i then change to dress to view the full sim, then back to glasses and find again where i was ... totally inneficient oh and it's just me or cas is the slowest thing in the sims 2?
Field Researcher
#89 Old 29th Oct 2005 at 4:04 PM Last edited by SeaZephyr : 29th Oct 2005 at 4:06 PM. Reason: corrected typo
Quote: Originally posted by GunMod
@ Targa.
I suppose I could make a version that has the fade, but I do wonder why someone would want this?

I like the fade because when I want to watch what my sims are doing, I hate when stairs and lights, etc. are in the way. I think that is the purpose of the fade. Great mod though!
Lab Assistant
#90 Old 31st Oct 2005 at 6:31 AM
Default Slight Probs
Ok i downloaded GCM-31-C.rar and installed. When i load game on a custom hood(i dont have any of the orgs i get the red flashing screen but can see water and houses fine. The red flashing is over where terrain should be. This is a hood with typical green grass. Any suggestions. Btw i have nearly every hack known to man lol or atleast all the ones approved with NL. Also I have all eps.

"It is better to die by the truth than to live by a lie."
Object(ive) Investigator
retired moderator
#91 Old 31st Oct 2005 at 7:46 AM
lindaetterlee, you did you install it in an ep's directory instead of the base game's?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#92 Old 31st Oct 2005 at 10:13 AM
It goes in My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Cameras

- GunMod
GunMod's Forums

Object(ive) Investigator
retired moderator
#93 Old 1st Nov 2005 at 12:52 AM
Sorry, I was thinking of Targa's lighting mod.
Lab Assistant
#94 Old 1st Nov 2005 at 4:41 AM
yeah i installed in the right place. I took out the rest of my downloads folder and this is still happening. Anyone got anything?

Lab Assistant
#95 Old 1st Nov 2005 at 7:27 AM
Will this Camera Mod cause my Pleasentville & Veronville Hoods to flood?
Test Subject
#96 Old 1st Nov 2005 at 11:45 PM
LOVE your camera hack but something weird has happened -

My neighborhood camera has somehow moved to =below= the world! I have to pan it UP to see the bottom of the world - no streets, the water is bulged down and black, etc. How do I fix the camera??

This has affected =all= neighborhoods, including downtown and universities.

I had your camera hack in, but after this I took it out and revered to normal - but the camera is still bad (under the world).

There is the NeighborhoodManager.package which might contain the current position of the neighborhood camera (ever notice that it's usually in the same place every time you first start the game?), but I don't know if anyone has poked through it enough with SimPE to know where the neighborhood camera start position is.

I know the "start" position of the camera does change now and then - maybe it'll just clear itself up after a while - but it's really weird.

Any hints?
Test Subject
#97 Old 2nd Nov 2005 at 12:31 AM
Default Fixed!
Hooray! I redownloaded the latest version of your camera hack, installed that, and the problem went away!! I am happy.

thanks again for a wonderful hack!

- (the other Jade)
Field Researcher
#98 Old 2nd Nov 2005 at 1:09 PM Last edited by Nicolafred : 2nd Nov 2005 at 1:12 PM. Reason: added screencap
Is there any reason this may make my quality drop? I was using your lighting mod but removed it, and now im just using this mod. I have a high powered spec machine and all settings are on the highest and I get the feeling my screenshots arnt the best they could be? Can I have your opinion?
Screenshots

Visit designit botan the new site and new url! no really... its new new!!!!
Lab Assistant
#99 Old 2nd Nov 2005 at 9:25 PM
*covers head in shame** ok guys i found out i am a idiot.

no seriously, GunMod i installed your lighting mod in the wrong place the lighting folder instead of the lights folder. DON"T ask me how or why or whatever but when i got it in the right place all of a sudden no red flashing. Go figure lol.

Test Subject
#100 Old 6th Nov 2005 at 10:48 PM Last edited by o0cyane0o : 8th Nov 2005 at 7:49 AM. Reason: cant spell
ok, so i downloaded the mod and it worked beautifully for around six hours then all the sudden my screen started jumping when special animations happened, then it just started jumping when regular animations happened. I went to the neighborhood view and the screen was jumping really bad an not moving at all.

so thinking it was just the camera mod i went back here and got the maxis default settings download to put back on my game..... but lo and behold it still jumps. i wanted to see if it was just because the hack was possibly still in place somehow but the jumping was so bad that my game is pretty much functionless.

so, is there a reason for this dealing with the mod? if so, can it be fixed. if not should i just restart the game again. *tear*

edit: ok, wierd, it just magically fixed itself. i opened it like four more times an on the fifth time opening the game the problem went away. wierd.
Page 4 of 25