Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Rugs - zMOG!! Off Grid!!

by HugeLunatic Posted 17th Apr 2010 at 4:49 AM - Updated 15th Jan 2022 at 9:31 PM by HugeLunatic

177 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 138 Feedback Posts, 38 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 4 of 8
Instructor
#76 Old 20th Apr 2010 at 11:15 PM
I'm with HP, I've wanted something like this for years!

HL, your the BEST. Thank you so much!
Test Subject
#77 Old 20th Apr 2010 at 11:39 PM
omg thank you! it totaly helps for decorationg for my movie sets thanks!!
Forum Resident
#78 Old 22nd Apr 2010 at 4:44 AM
And now we can use these rugs with Murano's reflective floors since they don't "sink" anymore (no more shiny rugs, yay!). This is such an awesome and useful mod, thank you again! :D

Remember, being paranoid doesn’t mean they’re not after you.
Moderator of pixels for pixels
retired moderator
#79 Old 22nd Apr 2010 at 9:42 PM
Thank you! =D

Need to know which object came with which EP or SP? Check the CEP Object database
Lab Assistant
#80 Old 23rd Apr 2010 at 2:12 PM
First of all, I want to say thanks, this is a much-needed download. Now, simply because I am a nerd and would like to know, why did the rugs originally have wierd lighting when placed diagonally? (just curious)

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Field Researcher
#81 Old 27th Apr 2010 at 7:42 AM
Congrats for featured! If something really deserve the special attention is this idea! Of course there are Lots of Great stuff too, but this is new and so cool and I love it too much!
And the most important: it works perfectly in game!
Lab Assistant
#82 Old 27th Apr 2010 at 6:41 PM
OMG You are a genius!!!!
Test Subject
#83 Old 29th Apr 2010 at 4:36 AM
Wonderful! This was probably my biggest annoyance in S2!

Now, does anyone know of a fix for the placement of fireplaces on the diagonal? I could do it because I built a high-rise apt with the fps on the diag (way before AL), but somewhere along the way it changed so it doesn't look right diagonally... :-(
Mad Poster
#84 Old 30th Apr 2010 at 2:13 AM
These look great in your shots. I want to make sure I installed them correctly: of the second set of files, those for the catalog bins, I put the one so labeled in each ep or sp I have, with NL and celeb in the EP2 and SP4 sub-folders respectively under Double Deluxe, but there is nothing that goes in the base bin under Double Deluxe, correct? I am looking forward very much to having nice rugs in my game.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
Original Poster
#85 Old 30th Apr 2010 at 2:33 AM
They can all go in the Bin folder of your latest EP, no need to separate them for each EP. And there are no files for base game since rugs were introduced with NL. =)
#86 Old 30th Apr 2010 at 7:14 PM
Interesting pic, your current Avitar.

I`ve got them in my Downloads folder, and they seem to work fine, except that they give all the rugs the CC asterisk. Accidentally deleting them in-game won`t be an issue for me, though, as I never delete anything from the catalog that way anyway.

This Space Intentionally Left Blank
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
Original Poster
#87 Old 1st May 2010 at 1:02 AM
The file labeled as Bin will give the cc asterisk if placed in the DL folder, which is why they are labeled for the bin folder. They work just the same in the DL folder otherwise.
#88 Old 3rd May 2010 at 6:46 PM
Exactly.

Gone Fishin'
retired moderator
#89 Old 10th May 2010 at 1:23 AM
This simply has to be the best fix EVER! :lovestruc It has bugged my socks off not to be able to place rugs off-grid, or have them overlap (or worse, have them overlap off-grid) without them looking painfully weird. So thank you, thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!

Now off to hunt down all *winces* my rug recols and fix them so that they behave properly, too...
Not actually evil.
#90 Old 20th May 2010 at 7:45 AM
Can I send you homemade brownies? This was SO needed. I can appreciate the amount of time and effort this must have taken. Thank you very, very much!
*favorite*

Please spay or neuter your pets. --- Cat Music Video! --- my meshes
Test Subject
#91 Old 30th May 2010 at 4:56 PM
omg, that's awesome! thanks! <3
#92 Old 4th Jun 2010 at 7:00 PM
I`ve been playing for a while with this installed, and I`ve come up with two or three issues that I`m sure are tied directly to this.

1. Since installing this, rugs are no longer Go Here enabled, meaning that I cannot have a rug anywhere where I intend to direct a Sim to walk to. Before installing this, Go Here worked fine on rugs.

2. I now see z-fighting between rug surfaces and object shadows. I do not recall having seen this at all before installing this.

3. I now see heavy z-fighting between overlapping rugs that I do not recall having seen before. Previously, any z-fighting between overlapping rugs was less noticable. I cannot say, however, if I`m seeing more z-fighting here because there *is* more *to* notice, or if I`m seeing it because I`m looking more closely at rugs lately, though I *think* it is the former.

I have a few minor disagreements with choices made in the implimentation, as well, but those are minor compared to what I`ve listed here. Over all, you`ve done an excelent job, and I am *not* taking this out of my game except to replace it with any upgrades that might come out.

Me? Sarcastic? Never.
Original Poster
#93 Old 4th Jun 2010 at 7:39 PM
The z-fighting has always been. The difference is that each rug was forced down to floor level and to each be the same height. They now are the height that the meshes are, which are all a bit different.

The go here, yes I can see that as an issue, again because the rugs before were flattened so that the mesh itself sat below the floor a bit. Now the floor is no longer clickable because the mesh is there and it does not allow go here. This is the same issue with any of Echos rugs and/or clones. The go here I don't think was ever in the rugs themselves, it just appeared to be.

I have no idea what minor disagreements you could have with this, since I barely changed anything. But glad you still like them.
Test Subject
#94 Old 6th Jun 2010 at 9:38 PM
thanks! but you can do that whit store´s rugs plz...
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
Original Poster
#95 Old 7th Jun 2010 at 12:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kakukon
thanks! but you can do that whit store´s rugs plz...

No I will not be sharing the stores pay content as stated in the overview. There is a link in the main text that shows you how to fix them yourself.
Test Subject
#96 Old 7th Jun 2010 at 8:49 PM
Great Idea!!! Ive always wanted to use some of these but it I couldent now i can!!!! thank you so much!!!!!!!!
Theorist
#97 Old 9th Jun 2010 at 3:26 AM Last edited by Honeywell : 9th Jun 2010 at 4:11 AM.
I just wanted to report there's a small gap that appears on chimneys (pic 1) when you place a fireplace on a 3/4 height foundation (using Mootilda's TS2GridAdjuster V1.2.3 - Change Grid Elevations) and have this mod installed. It fixes itself if you remove the mod. (pic 2)

I'm not sure how or why it happens but I thought I'd post in case the info. is useful to anyone else. And thanks for a great mod, btw--it's quickly become one of my favorites.

ETA:
Ok, I added the rug mod back into my game and the fireplace chimney still works fine. I have no idea why taking out the mod "fixed" it if putting it back in doesn't break it. It could just be coincidence but I'll leave my post as is just in case.
Screenshots
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
Original Poster
#98 Old 9th Jun 2010 at 4:29 PM
I really don't see how this mod can affect that, and I would say it was merely a coincidence by taking it out and putting it back in that it "fixed" it. I would think it more likely this gap occurred due to the changing of the standard height the game is looking for. I've noticed in fireplaces that the portion that sits on the ground when using a foundation overlaps the next part up that sits where the wall is. I assume because it can be placed next to foundation or wall and needs to adjust to the height.

The value I changed in the OBJD is the same value that all objects have, so it's not like I came up with some random value to place there. Hopefully this is coincidence because I don't use GridAdjuster so have no way of thoroughly testing.
#99 Old 11th Jun 2010 at 6:57 PM
Thank you for the information on the Go Here interaction. I was not aware that it was not actualy a rug function. It should be relatively easy to add, though. The BHAV for "Go To Anywhere Near, Facing Any Direction" ought to be "close enough", unless someone knows a better code to use.

Thank you also for the information on the z-fighting between rugs. From what you say, there should actually be *less* z-fighting between rugs now, unless they happen to be meshed to the same height. Then again, I rarely had overlapping rugs before, and the house I noticed it in had several significantly-overlapping copies of identical rugs in it, and any mesh will *always* be at the same height as *itself*.

I still don`t remember seeing z-fighting between rugs and object shadows before, though, and you didn`t address that in your reply.

As for the "minor disagreements", I think I`d prefer this withOUT the rug-combining you did, although I agree that EAxis should have done it that way to begin with: I think I`m having some minor issues with sports rugs that were placed before I installed this, or were placed after I installed this from rugs that were placed in shops before I installed this. While they display correctly, the game seems to have difficulty finding and displaying information about them when I`m eyedropper-browsing the lot in Buy Mode. I`m not aware of any issues with rugs that were placed directly from the catalog after installing this, but then again neither do I recall placing any directly from the catalog after installing this. I don`t seem to have the problem with other rugs, though. Not annoying enough to remove the mod, and if I did remove it, I`m not sure that what would happen to any sports rugs placed with this installed wouldn`t be worse.

Um, what issues might I expect if this loads *before* CEP? I`ll be on the lookout for them, and take appropriate steps if required, but how do I tell if I *need* to take those steps?

Me? Sarcastic? Never.
Original Poster
#100 Old 11th Jun 2010 at 11:05 PM
Ah, yes. I can see issues with sports rugs placed prior to this. They are looking for a rug with a specific GUID and since that texture is now linked to another GUID what it actually displays could be rather odd and random. Makes total sense that the eyedropper tool also is having issues with rugs placed prior to this mod. Rebuying after the mod is in should resolve any of those. If the CEP loads first I think the only issue will be the FT rugs and them not having the proper textures.
Page 4 of 8