Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#226 Old 23rd Jul 2022 at 9:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Gargoyle Cat
If TS1, TS2 and TS3 did not exist, we wouldn't have anything to compare TS4 to. Maxis knew this was coming. Prior to releasing TS4, they told everybody that TS4 was different, therefore it should be viewed / judged as its own entity.

I have no problem with 4 being promoted as different and judge it on its own in some regards, as I wanted 2 to be different from 1 and 3 from the others. I wanted each release to be at least comparable quality, and really wanted each to be better than the prior. 2 was a major step up from 1, and even though 3 was lower in terms of some animations and so on, it was a step up from 2 with the open world and CASt and so on.

So the prior versions have been different, but for me all high quality ones. When that list was done that 70 things from prior versions would be gone in 4 I think the writing was on the wall about what 4 would be. Rachel could talk about zero other than emotions. And as it was pretty much said the game was done to run on low end computers I think we knew what was coming, not to mention the change horses mid stream from online fiasco, etc. They pretty much said from the start that the target audience was about the 12s.

So we got something that does have some good things, but is very shallow to many of us. I know when get something I will explore and build a bit, then totally lose interest. And that for me is sad. I never tire of 3 or of CAW. And I can build in 3 forever. Hardly 5 min into building in 4 I am irritated.

So being different for a new version is good, but it has to be at a level that will hold the interest of experienced players also, and 4 does not do that long, for me at least.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#227 Old 24th Jul 2022 at 11:05 AM
You can't expect the game to be different and not comparable, all while wishing it be better or show improvement on certain improvents. That's why players that only started with TS4 and no previous game don't see any short comings and won't compare. Telling veterans to stop comparing even though its titled by the series is equaling to saying "don't buy any more packs/dlc" all while producing and releasing more DLC.

As I said hundred of times. If Maxis really want the game to be/is different, should have titled it different (Like The Sims Stories to distinguish from TS2) and carry on their day without being pissed players compare them. EA's ploy was clear on this and I don't have to say why they didn't opt to market it as something different ($$$)

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Mad Poster
#228 Old 24th Jul 2022 at 11:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
You can't expect the game to be different and not comparable ... If Maxis really want the game to be/is different, should have titled it different

You totally missed the point of what I was saying. And of course EA/Maxis always wanted a new version to be different from the prior ones or there is no point in making a new version. That is true for a new version of anything, and not just a PC game.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#229 Old 24th Jul 2022 at 12:18 PM Last edited by SneakyWingPhoenix : 24th Jul 2022 at 12:35 PM.
In Maxis terms, different means "yes we made it shitty, therefor don't compare it cause it should be taken aa a 'different' game". You may have missed my point too.

I'm not addressing your comment directly. I'm expressing that if they wanna excuse their poor design choices because "baa baa, players critisize our game" and bit h that the fandom cannot consider the game being different from the series (bolding, because the context Im referring the medium being indepented entity from the main series, not the idea of it offerring substiantially better/improved mechanics from precedessors, in terns of features, clothes, music etc.) is my argument about.

Different as in indepented synonim that Im getting from Gurus. I'd take it as them implying that simmers should see it as a spin-off (different) from the main series, even though it makes no sense. You understand 'different' as being 'better than before, but that's not what Im addressing nor gurus have in mind or even focusing on it, albeit they should cause it has FOUR in it titled.

- Different, that it isn't a copy paste? Yes. If anything, TS4 contains the core fundamentals of like previous base game (more close to TS2 or TS1) but is more stripped down (so it isn't a complete copy paste)

- Different, that it revents the wheel or offer somehing engaging even it follows the same formula of previous games? No. Let's get real: it wouldn't have been contriversial game and received more positive reception had it offered different systems or features that holds water unlike emotions or multitasking which is only an animation gimmick than anything
- Different as it's titled as a spin-off so players don't confused it as the game from the main series? No, but that's what the gurus are making a counter-point about.

Mad Poster
#230 Old 24th Jul 2022 at 12:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
You understand 'different' as being 'better than before ...

I never said that whatsoever. And I understand/know very well what the word different means.
Mad Poster
#231 Old 25th Jul 2022 at 2:29 PM
I'm 5'2". My son was taller than I by 15. He got his height from his father who is 6 feet tall. It isn't unreasonable for a teen to be taller than a parent. The problem is why Maxis did what they did IMO.

[...]

Going on 8 years in, now they're trying to do things to make teens look and behave like teens. We have yet to see how this pack plays with other packs. All that has been shown thus so far is this pack being played with the base game. Only the naive or those in denial think this pack is going to behave as it has been 'advertised'.

The thing is, while there are always exceptions to the rules (tall teens), from a purely gameplay perspective, it makes more sense to have shorter teens to visually distinguish them from adults. And yes, I agree that teens also need more unique gameplay to set them apart from being just another YA life phase.

Personally, I think that the most that was done on teens was in Parenthood, and that was four years ago.
Mad Poster
#232 Old 25th Jul 2022 at 4:58 PM
I haven't been to every nook and cranny of Sim Land, but the hype for this pack certainly isn't what it was a week ago. There is a lot of grumbling about the lack of focus of this pack, all the rabbitholes, sitting like a zombie in class, ect... People are still talking about buying it though just because of CAS / World / Buy / Build; the usual stuff as it is for all packs. And of course, there is the Wants and Fears thing. From where I'm sitting, when Maxis sez they're taking one thing and making it into something else, it leaves more questions than answers.

Yeah, I think that once the nitty gritty of the pack came out, the shininess of the trailer wore off and the Sims 4 framework (and its limitations) could be seen more clearly.

I.e.
- High schools > University (Rabbitholes) + GTW (Workspaces)
- Amusement Park > JA/IL/Werewolves (Rabbithole text adventures)
- Proms > Goaled Parties
- Cheerleading > GT dance mat
- Cafeteria > Literally the University cafeteria reused

So in the end, same old, same old.
Mad Poster
#233 Old 25th Jul 2022 at 6:52 PM
Plumbella sold an outfit about 9,999,999 simpletons and someone purchased it.

Maxis, dear… it's very much so possible to remove the ability to sell something if extends a certain price above market value… why are you breaking your own game?

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#234 Old 25th Jul 2022 at 7:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jje1000
Personally, I think that the most that was done on teens was in Parenthood, and that was four years ago.

Haven't played said pack, but I'm gonna guess that besides character values or some other system, both which are shared wuth child life stage, teens only gotten mood swings from it as a special indepented feature that set them rest for the life state. Now this HSY, they can shave off your pack.

Some will see it as a good and enough thing, some won't and doesn't cut for them..For me, I lean more on the latter. However, I think the more irriating thing is for just BG, there weren't any after thought to make that life stage more unique. All they given us a some girlfriend/boyfriend proposal (which is equivalent to Propose>Engagement), a string rename for "Woohoo"

This is what happens when you hire someone like Rachel Franklin as a head of the staff, that's caught up in making a interactive platform something something about social media and being touch something with real lifes frienss something something for psychological statistical experiement something something let's throw a dance party something something...

Mad Poster
#235 Old 26th Jul 2022 at 1:35 AM
9,999,999 simpletons?

I don't know if this was on purpose, a typo or maybe spell checker is trollin' today, but....

My phone autocorrects so much, I just let it.

Mad Poster
#236 Old 26th Jul 2022 at 5:36 AM
Trying to remember, in prior version(s), was there an option for teens to go steady? Have NO idea if that is now a totally thing of the past, probably so, but at least it was a teen thing as adults do not do that. As said, there needs to me more things unique to teens, whatever they are, for this pack to be accepted more by many simmers.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#237 Old 26th Jul 2022 at 10:31 AM
TS2 had steafy for teens. In TS3, I think all olders have it too

Mad Poster
#238 Old 26th Jul 2022 at 7:04 PM
A moment of silence for these curved walls and the "patched" curved platforms, because YIKES.

Mad Poster
#239 Old 26th Jul 2022 at 9:23 PM
Another moment of silence for build mode styles.

Yes for the added Art Deco build/buy category.
No for them putting Art Nouveau in it.

Field Researcher
#240 Old 26th Jul 2022 at 11:45 PM
I’ve saw a few people have their sims get wants to have their sisters become their girlfriends. The incest bug is back. Again.
Mad Poster
#241 Old 27th Jul 2022 at 4:25 AM
I wonder if Sims can create Bubble Tea themselves to sell at a retail lot since Sims owning a bubble tea shop is impossible.

The clothing racks are a welcome addition to retail store… when visiting a retail lot. Seems like a missed opportunity if you own the lot. While you can curate looks and sell then from your inventory, it’s not the same.

Staff - Moderator
staff: moderator
#242 Old 27th Jul 2022 at 6:09 AM
Sims 4 update that came out 7-26-2022:

PC: 1.90.358.1030 / Mac: 1.90.358.1230

Console: Version 1.61

Hello Simmers!

As summer moves on, it is time to get excited for your teenage dreams and back-to-school adventures with The Sims 4 High School Years Expansion Pack. To get ready for this experience, we have a collection of Base Game updates and bug fixes in this update. There is something for the Sim Creators, Home Builders, and Storytellers alike.

Thank you for the continued support. We truly appreciate it!

- SimGuruGeorge

What's New?

You’ve been hearing all about the amazing features coming with High School Years. Let’s take a moment and look at what is coming to everyone as part of today’s Base Game Update!

The Phone has gone through a bit of an OS update to a sleek, new interface. All of the previous functionality still is there and customizing the background and case color options for each Sims’ phone is easier than ever.

Body Hair is here and no lycanthropy is required. You will find a selection of arm, leg, torso, and back hair now available for all of your teen Sims and older. Find these new options in the Body section of Create a Sim. Proudly show off those distinct mammalian features.

Create a Sim now offers more options to support the Sexual Orientation of the Sims. Located in the “More Details'' section of “Customize Gender,” you can now select the gender identities a Sim is romantically attracted to, whether the Sim is exploring romantically, and the type of Sim they are interested in WooHoo or Messing Around with if they are even interested in Woohoo or Messing Around.

If you do not change these settings, your Sim will maintain the default orientation settings known to The Sims, meaning they'll have no inherent attraction to a specific gender, their attraction can shift through gameplay, and they will WooHoo or Mess Around with any gender. Check out SimGuruJessica’s deep dive blog about this system to learn the specifics on how each of these options affect the gameplay.

Are you ready to tackle your Sim’s Wants & Fears? This base game update replaces whims and includes a large selection of Wants that your Sims will want to achieve or Fears they want to overcome. This feature is on by default and you can toggle them off in the “Gameplay” options menu.

Builders who feel limited by sharp 90° corners can round out their creativity with this update: Curved Walls are coming to your collection of Build tools! Place and adjust medium, large, and extra large curved rooms. Builders who are familiar with curved decks, fences, and platforms will find familiar controls for these new walls. Some doors and windows fit better than others, so to find the ones that do work well on these walls, use the new “Supports All Curved Walls” and “Supports Large and X-Large Curved Walls” filters within Build Mode.

Bug Fixes

Consoles

On some PlayStation®4 systems, Eco Lifestyle’s Evergreen Harbor had a lot of objects flickering in the environment. We think we have squelched the problem. If you see it, please let us know and provide information about the model of PlayStation and OS version.
On Xbox, interacting with Cottage Living’s Chicken Coop no longer causes the cursor to vanish.
Closing the Notebook interface now hides its controller legend as well.

The Sims 4

Sims can, once again, scoot over to an open side of the bed that is pushed up against the wall.
Sims deliver food reliably to toddlers via the "Grab Serving for <toddler>" interaction.
Throwing a birthday party for a toddler? Sims now can "Compliment the Birthday Sim" to complete the party if that goal appears.
Did you know that your Sims can take care of a Need on their own if you click on the Need in the Needs panel? Give it a whirl! Sims with the Neat Trait now clean themselves when you click on "Hygiene" instead of cleaning their home.
Vault Modular Counter maintains its color underneath the dirt when it gets dirty.
Sims jog once again when using The MotionMonitor Gaming Mat and PrioPerfection Motion Sensor Game Mat.
The "Save" and "Delete" buttons now both appear when mousing over a save slot on the "Save Game" screen.
Sims can ask about these Likes and Dislikes without having their own preferences for them: Décor, Color, Hobbies & Skills, and Music.
Since Sims in the same household know each other already, they no longer have the option to ask about various Likes and Dislikes. "Ask about Career" is the one exception.
When socializing with another Sim, questions related to "Likes and Dislikes" now are grouped together under a category with that name.
Your Sims went on a vacation with another household. You just heard through a Neighborhood Story notification that they adopted! That notification now has the name of that household's home world rather than the vacation world.
Placing a Lot from the Gallery defaults to its Lot type instead of asking to change to the location's Lot type.
When you have a window that aligns to the dotted half-tile mark and the window is as wide as its footprint, you now can place another window like that right next to it.
Placing a rounded platform within another room now fills in the floor tiling around the curve.
Placing Dragonfly Swarm and Mosquitos on ponds now results in dragonflies and mosquitoes, respectively. Bzzzzzzz bzzz....
Cars viewed from a distance on low-end computers now look more like cars and less like a newbie woodworking project.
That screen that appears when you can choose which Sim to do something with the active Sim... we adjusted the header so longer text does not overlap with the portrait of your Sim.
That screen also consistently shows the "Everyone" category now when it pops up.
Behind-the-scenes pregnancy tracking has some improvements for better performance and stability.
We fixed three types of crashes:
[PS4-only] One sometimes happened on PS4 when saving a Lot to My Library.
One was related to graphics.
And the peskiest one sometimes happened when placing a Retail Lot that had mannequins. Take that, crashes!
Promotion Requirements in the Career panel now has a helpful hover-tip.
The Lot Challenges icon now has a helpful hover-tip.

Cats and Dogs

These curtains now can be placed around windows: Casual Country Curtains, Cozy Country Curtains, and Charming Country Curtains.

Seasons

Gnomes placed from the Inventory no longer continue generating seed packets after the Harvestfest ends.

Island Living

Children make progress for their Outdoor Adventurer badge when they catch fish or frogs.

Discover University

After switching specialization branches in a career, your Sim now earns their well-deserved rewards from that new career.
The button to "Go to Class Early" now appears one hour before University classes start.
Sims go to University classes early when directed to if they are at their campus.

Eco Lifestyle

What, you don't want to see books among available ingredients for the Juice Fizzing station? Well, okay. Loading ingredients now shows only proper, edible ingredients.
Idle animations for enjoying a fizzy drink while seated at a table now play appropriately.
Sims can wash off the "Dyed In An Explosion!" moodlet with a good shower or bath.

Snowy Escape

Sims in the Salaryperson career can complete the "Host Phone Conference" task consistently.
Drinking the Lifestyle-Go-Poof Potion now actually removes Lifestyles. Go forth and discover your new you!
Sims now correctly gain up to three active Lifestyles.
Mountain Climb Excursions now start instead of automatically canceling. Let's go conquer those climbs together!

Cottage Living

Specific Chicken Coop variants remain the same color when becoming dirty.
Chickens no longer prevent the Egg Hunt Holiday tradition from completing . Rumor is they were collecting all the decorative eggs for themselves.
Verdant Mushroom Soup now shows up properly when choosing it from the list of recipes to cook with other Sims and grabbing servings.
The color swatches for the long hair with bandana(ymHair_EP11LongBandana) now match the hair color.

Parenthood

Taking anger out on stuffed animal toys now decreases the teen Sim's Empathy. Meanness has consequences!

Strangerville

Error Code 106:7f97032:aa761f01 no longer happens sometimes when traveling to StrangerVille's Secret Lab.

Journey to Batuu

The "Hot Tip" mission for Scoundrels now appropriately asks for five information fragments to be collected.

Dream Home Decorator

The capri pants yfBottom_GP10Capri_Solid now appropriately appear as brown when selecting the brown color swatch.

Werewolves

Werewolf and Vampire Sims now exit the appropriate tunnel entrances after choosing to ”Explore Underground Tunnels”.

Tiny Living

The remote control for Murphy Beds now has the appropriate texture.

Bust the Dust

Don't want to deal with repairing your broken vacuum cleaner yourself? It now has interactions to replace it with a new one or hire a Sim to fix it.
Dusty Chaperone Upright Vacuum now sparks when broken.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#243 Old 27th Jul 2022 at 12:03 PM
When it comes to personality, devs always miss out oh ironing the shirt perfectly to no wrinkle left. Not making a want look into sims deep physiology just shows how they call a day by sleeping oversights by not carefully pay attention to details when creating a feature that revolve around the mechanical details of a Sim.

But hey, it's weirder stories and your Sims RULE. Gays will want to hook up with heterosexual females and Adults will flirt with babies. That is The Sims 4 for you

Lol, I also imagine a lot of cursing from a single developer in the office box studio letting out a cuss, when they found any reoccuring bug being addressed over and over and over...

maybe even on top of the unfixable pile that's about to spurt out all over the places like heated bag.

Alchemist
#244 Old 27th Jul 2022 at 6:40 PM
Shrek picture

Oh my god, didn't expect to get turned on at MTS today

what does his name even mean?
Test Subject
#245 Old 27th Jul 2022 at 7:41 PM
So uh, hoping to either commiserate, or have someone tell me I'm wrong and explain what to do. But the new updates awful bubble phone (aesthetic is a personal choice, and mine is clearly not in line with what they wanted to do here, but the look of it is ultimately not an issue at all), well. You can't leave it open on a specific tab anymore?

Like you have to navigate through the menu each and every time you select the phone to use. Instead of it being open to what you last used. I know it's a minor time suck, but when you're using the phone regularly while just playing, it's so handy to be able to leave it on what you need (odd jobs, take photo with, order delivery, whatever it is you use most)
Mad Poster
#246 Old 28th Jul 2022 at 12:27 AM
SimGuruGeorge is acting like they didn't have a choice of how this pack was handled; there is always options. Unless EA was breathing down their necks ( we'll never know what) if getting base game updated was so important, they should have focused on that instead of handing out what I'll affectionately call digital vomit. This pack has zero direction, too many things left unfinished, too many things left broken...ya know.

Based on past tweets and guru hints, it sounds like they only have but so much control over how much content the put out and have to-the-cent budgets.

Sure, you’ll get employees who might actually enjoy the sun-content they’re working on (“I really loved implementing this feature!”), but overall, they’re bound by their corporate overlords.

Instructor
#247 Old 28th Jul 2022 at 2:27 AM
I am absolutely not surprised by all of this. It's the same "Rinse. Wash.Repeat" cycle we've seen since the beginning. It's like they never learn. They don't bother to play test and are surprised when things go haywire with an update. I also watched one of the previews of the new pack and its majority set dressing as always. The young lady reviewing the pack (I believe her name is Troi) mentioned a lot about none interactive buildings and while watching I noticed how empty the school was during class. You cannot have the school anywhere else (Queue in GTW careers) and your sim only does 2 classes. You just sit there in detention and to get detention you have to be mean to the principal (Or at least that's the way she was able to do it). But I'm not going to beat the dead horse. Y'all know where I'm going with this. It's just pathetic to see after 8 years they haven't given up on this charade. But I digress...

*I'll go crawl back under my rock now, carry on*
Mad Poster
#248 Old 28th Jul 2022 at 3:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by matrix54
Based on past tweets and guru hints, it sounds like they only have but so much control over how much content the put out and have to-the-cent budgets.

Sure, you’ll get employees who might actually enjoy the sun-content they’re working on (“I really loved implementing this feature!”), but overall, they’re bound by their corporate overlords.

Totally agree. I have posted that for years on this site. When you are an employee of a huge corporation, you do what you are told if you want to keep your job. Even middle management has little say in things. If you want a paycheck from them you keep your mouth shut and just do as asked.

Been there, seen that, done that. When you finally think is enough and if/when/can you leave.
Field Researcher
#249 Old 28th Jul 2022 at 6:04 AM
I remember Sim Guru Grant proudly saying they weren’t told what to do by EA, their creative control was theirs etc. I genuinely think in the case of wants and fears they probably didn’t have a lot of time but they didn’t have to half ass it.
Field Researcher
#250 Old 28th Jul 2022 at 12:42 PM
If anyone uses CD Keys they have released the pack now. My friend now in the USA got it last night at midnight!
Page 10 of 47