Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#251 Old 28th Jul 2022 at 2:28 PM Last edited by lil bag2 : 28th Jul 2022 at 3:11 PM.
Another day, another returning feature that comes back as a mere shell of what it once was. They actually fooled me for a second too. I was actually kinda hyped for the return of wants and fears when they first announced it...but then I realized, it's really only the return of fears. Because we already have wants. They were just changed to "whims". So all they really did was dumb down whims to remove all pack integration, and add a bunch of fears with no real consequences outside of a bad moodlet.

All this on top of the multiple other features this patch added that straight up break your game

Quote: Originally posted by jje1000
The thing is, while there are always exceptions to the rules (tall teens), from a purely gameplay perspective, it makes more sense to have shorter teens to visually distinguish them from adults.

^This^

Make them shorter and give them softer features to make them look younger. Every time I make a family in CAS, I have to actively try to make the teenagers look young. More often than not, I have to completely redo their faces to the point where they almost stop looking like their parents (TS4's genetics are a whole other can of worms). And then when they age up to adults, I gotta mess around their faces all over again to make them look older.

This high school packs gives teens more stuff to do that is uniquely their own, but from a visual standpoint, they're still just the Young Adult stage. This is almost just a second University pack.

Quote: Originally posted by Mspigglypooh
I am absolutely not surprised by all of this. It's the same "Rinse. Wash.Repeat" cycle we've seen since the beginning. It's like they never learn. They don't bother to play test and are surprised when things go haywire with an update. I also watched one of the previews of the new pack and its majority set dressing as always. The young lady reviewing the pack (I believe her name is Troi) mentioned a lot about none interactive buildings and while watching I noticed how empty the school was during class. You cannot have the school anywhere else (Queue in GTW careers) and your sim only does 2 classes. You just sit there in detention and to get detention you have to be mean to the principal (Or at least that's the way she was able to do it). But I'm not going to beat the dead horse. Y'all know where I'm going with this. It's just pathetic to see after 8 years they haven't given up on this charade. But I digress...

*I'll go crawl back under my rock now, carry on*

It's things like this that make me wish these devs would just like....take some time out to play TS2 for just a week. Just spend a week playing that game and examining all the depth, all the little things, all the gameplay elements that made that game so beloved. So they can understand why TS4 feels so lacking despite having WAY more content.

The Receptacle still lives!
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#252 Old 28th Jul 2022 at 4:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lil bag2
It's things like this that make me wish these devs would just like....take some time out to play TS2 for just a week. Just spend a week playing that game and examining all the depth, all the little things, all the gameplay elements that made that game so beloved. So they can understand why TS4 feels so lacking despite having WAY more content.

To Maxis, TS2 is a dinosaur. They threw TS1, 2 and 3 in the trash bin when they created TS4, which is why TS4 is so different and has hardly any elements of the former games. TS2 was MEANT to be an improvement of TS1. TS3 was MEANT to be an improvement of TS2. TS4 was simply a "let's start again from scratch" project that has proven to be a stupid exercise in dumbness. To IMPROVE TS4, they really don't want to do a TS5. This time, they'd rather stretch it out with additions as long as possible. Eight years and counting. Can you imagine TS1 going on for 8 years?? (Or even 2 or 3) When they finally do put out TS5 - if ever - it won't be an improvement of TS4. It, again, will be a "start over" type thing.

You have to know how to accept rejection and reject acceptance. - Ray Bradbury
Mad Poster
#253 Old 28th Jul 2022 at 8:14 PM Last edited by matrix54 : 28th Jul 2022 at 8:57 PM.
EA is so weird. You know those useless but stylish cash register counters - specifically to hold a cash register - from Get To Work? Yeah, the thrift store station also counts as one, and is required for the thrift store.

I'll test the retail system to see if they're at ALL combined, but I assume it's a bit fat no lol

Semi-surprisingly, the bubble tea is on the restaurant menu, but I don't see a way to make it at home.

Edit: The counter does fuck all. So far, while testing, clothing racks count as a retail item and are in the retail items menu but Sims don't use them autonomously.

Edit II: The counter doesn't even work with the register...

Edit III: You cannot sell clothing racks, nor will Sims buy from it.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Forum Resident
#254 Old 28th Jul 2022 at 10:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by dikosay
To Maxis, TS2 is a dinosaur. They threw TS1, 2 and 3 in the trash bin when they created TS4, which is why TS4 is so different and has hardly any elements of the former games. TS2 was MEANT to be an improvement of TS1. TS3 was MEANT to be an improvement of TS2. TS4 was simply a "let's start again from scratch" project that has proven to be a stupid exercise in dumbness. To IMPROVE TS4, they really don't want to do a TS5. This time, they'd rather stretch it out with additions as long as possible. Eight years and counting. Can you imagine TS1 going on for 8 years?? (Or even 2 or 3) When they finally do put out TS5 - if ever - it won't be an improvement of TS4. It, again, will be a "start over" type thing.

Well, EA treat those games like they're dinosaurs, but they really know they're objectively better.
Lab Assistant
#255 Old 29th Jul 2022 at 1:36 AM Last edited by BlademasterX2 : 29th Jul 2022 at 2:12 AM.
Well, I didn't play this for a year, don't even know that phone addiction is become a disaster now.

Lucky for them that they didn't bump into the pole, fall into a sewer hole, or be eaten alive by cars.

♒ Aquarius Sun, ♈ Aries Moon, ♈ Aries Rising

Sorry for my English :)
Mad Poster
#256 Old 29th Jul 2022 at 2:06 AM Last edited by matrix54 : 29th Jul 2022 at 5:36 AM.
Wow, the early-purchase gamer chair and light matched the in-pack gamer desk perfectly. May as well have pulled the matching desk, too.

One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#257 Old 29th Jul 2022 at 11:40 AM
I wouldn't necessarily say teens are shorter than adults but they do tend to have a more slender bone structure, less developed jawbones, thinner necks, narrower waists, smaller breasts and higher voices. So if EA have problems animating too many different heights, they can still make teens seem different.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Scholar
#258 Old 29th Jul 2022 at 1:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
I wouldn't necessarily say teens are shorter than adults but they do tend to have a more slender bone structure, less developed jawbones, thinner necks, narrower waists, smaller breasts and higher voices. So if EA have problems animating too many different heights, they can still make teens seem different.

I dunno about Higher voices, but looking at audio files they do have phrases they can only speak, as well as elders have theres too.
Field Researcher
#259 Old 29th Jul 2022 at 2:52 PM
I think Maxis outdone themselves with the mod busting this time with this HS update!

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#260 Old 29th Jul 2022 at 7:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones

Nah. They rather opt to feature SimTok in the next pack that gets teen Sims hog on their phones more to be different Stop with these silly demands of having them to revamp the whole or introduce a new life state. You can give a maxis employee or two a Stroke if they read this //s

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#261 Old 30th Jul 2022 at 2:40 PM

I don't think starting over was exact problem. Hell, I can imagine the leap TS2 made from the isometric, non-3D different complete overall engine (which I believe after that rumored Office Fire they really switch to indepented engine to recreate TS2 Project in matter of seconds due to unexpected deadline) to a whole new game.
Focus on Olympus, money greed or improper management is what I believed led us to the game without swimmings pool and toddlers with maybe a gram of uncreativity (with no ground breaking features for Live Mode). Many controversies in PR and delivered final product reception is the source from poor resource management of things and I-forgot-the-other-as-a-lost-tract-of-the-train-thought (will edit in later) priorizitation of things regarding game development I think?

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#262 Old 31st Jul 2022 at 3:25 PM
Perhaps, again, they mixed up what packs the two of the type must have? Wedding Stories to me sounds like a stuff pack wardant concept as its just a party type, High School a game pack (although could have been also a stuff pack if not for features outside of school being present).

Like it's not the first time they did. So hell... could have forgotten to reposition the people for correct number.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#263 Old 31st Jul 2022 at 3:51 PM
https://youtu.be/IyQNC7lW_EU

Not sure if anyone posted this (but I suspect Gargoyle Cat did), but I this sorta addressing reoccuring one of the problem of the game that is mood killer. Not only are the wants from other expansion packs and dragged in dirt, I feel like after I played the game in these two-three past days (reinstalled out of curiosity what has the so called Big updated brought and rly having not much else to play that wouldn't take lots of my tims) firing one particular save bring me back to realization that even the wants of the base game are very basic, superficial and don't really open the opportunity to seek exploring unfounded features, because the whims don't hit at them and the update hasn't change much. Also, my Sim only got two fears of being unfilled dream and smth about death end job, which in comparison to TS2 it seems more confusing how fears work and that Smarter Sims again lack number of slots like with traits but for fears. So variety lacks in it (or, that could be the fault of there not being enough consequences which is the other thing TS4 is infamous for). The game has some nice stuffs, but darn... it feels so incomplete at times and makes it not fun to get into and explore the stuff you have yet to discover or try out.

Instructor
#264 Old 31st Jul 2022 at 3:55 PM Last edited by Mspigglypooh : 31st Jul 2022 at 3:56 PM. Reason: Typos
The idea of this game being anything like its predecessors died a LONG time in my opinion. I think they knew what they were doing when they said wants and fears. They knew exactly what crowd they were trying to reel back in. I'll admit I was curious. Cautiously curious. I had a feeling it was going to be bullshit and well... if it walks and acts like a duck...

Its pathetic that they continue to play this little game with their choice of names and words. They know exactly what they're doing.

Someone mentioned earlier that a lot of devs that worked on TS2 left and I think people need to take a closer look at that. It was time to move on and they did. This game is not the sims 2 or 3 and it never will be. So simmers need to really understand that. So them using terms like wants and fears is a play on words to draw oldies like us back in.
Mad Poster
#265 Old 31st Jul 2022 at 5:17 PM
I get the feeling one of the producers said they can save about $10 if they repurpose old content to limit QA testers and someone above them believe it, but COMPLETELY forgot repurposed content still requires testing.

It’s blatant that My Wedding Stories took older content from Get To Work and Luxury Party stuff. It’s very likely My Wedding Stories was developed alongside High School Years and used a work in progress of proms to create weddings. They knew it was a mess, but could patch the system and they patched High School Years.

Horrible, lazy management.

Forum Resident
#266 Old 31st Jul 2022 at 7:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mspigglypooh
The idea of this game being anything like its predecessors died a LONG time in my opinion. I think they knew what they were doing when they said wants and fears. They knew exactly what crowd they were trying to reel back in. I'll admit I was curious. Cautiously curious. I had a feeling it was going to be bullshit and well... if it walks and acts like a duck...

Its pathetic that they continue to play this little game with their choice of names and words. They know exactly what they're doing.

Someone mentioned earlier that a lot of devs that worked on TS2 left and I think people need to take a closer look at that. It was time to move on and they did. This game is not the sims 2 or 3 and it never will be. So simmers need to really understand that. So them using terms like wants and fears is a play on words to draw oldies like us back in.

Totally agree... They know what they're doing and they don't stop playing with people's feelings and their hopes that the game will really look like a life simulator again... It's pretty cruel.
Mad Poster
#267 Old 1st Aug 2022 at 3:59 AM
I think TS4 has long worn out its welcome, and is really long-due for the next game in the series due to its accumulated issues.

The problem is that I think that they’re nowhere near ready to publicly show TS5, and so TS4 cannot die a merciful death, it simply must live on like a zombie until the TS5 trailer drops!

Personally, I think that there is a chance that either TS4 gets a total rehaul and reboot into simply a live service ‘The Sims’ game, like World of Warcraft, so that EA can continue making money off it forever- or that the next game will do so. The scope of these games mean that repeating the EP release loop is increasingly a question of sustainability- players already poke at the fact that Pets have been released four times in the franchise, and demand features like it as part of base gameplay.
Top Secret Researcher
#268 Old 1st Aug 2022 at 4:11 AM
I am wondering if future players will be ok with a live service type Sims game. Maybe the ones that never played the older games. I expect quite a few won't be back for a fifth iteration of Sims published by EA.
It reminds me a bit of TV shows that completely wear out their welcome. They tend not to have much rewatch value.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#269 Old 1st Aug 2022 at 5:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jje1000

Personally, I think that there is a chance that either TS4 gets a total rehaul and reboot into simply a live service ‘The Sims’ game, like World of Warcraft, so that EA can continue making money off it forever- or that the next game will do so.

Not gonna happen. Saying it will get rehaul is equivalent of saying TS4 will be fixed out of all of its problems in the remaining ongoing updates.

Those days are long gone with new developers and the running heads of the same management.

Scholar
#270 Old 3rd Aug 2022 at 2:34 PM
I Wonder if anyone Evergreen Harbor region now looks like this.

This is Quims quarry:

Only noticed after today's patch, the Fake Houses are all gone, only playable lots are now seen.

Ok, Hardly game-breaking, and I think i'm actually starting to like it, you easily see all you rwalkbys, every bit of action all the fake houses onced blocked.
Field Researcher
#271 Old 3rd Aug 2022 at 3:48 PM
I like it too

Scholar
#272 Old 3rd Aug 2022 at 4:18 PM
I like it too

yeah any lot and tested on a clean save nothing but emptiness. Save looks unrepairable, but well it's only evergreen harbour and kind of makes sense, afterall it is an abandoning town.
Field Researcher
#273 Old 3rd Aug 2022 at 4:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Citysim
I Wonder if anyone Evergreen Harbor region now looks like this.

This is Quims quarry:

Only noticed after today's patch, the Fake Houses are all gone, only playable lots are now seen.

Ok, Hardly game-breaking, and I think i'm actually starting to like it, you easily see all you rwalkbys, every bit of action all the fake houses onced blocked.

You just need to send a sim to each of the Evergreen Harbor neighborhoods to fix them.
Staff - Moderator
staff: moderator
#274 Old 4th Aug 2022 at 10:52 PM
Seems like Sims 4 Steam sale going on now: https://store.steampowered.com/search/?term=sims+4

Also posting details about Sims 4 patch that came out 8-2-2022:

Update 8/2/2022
Growing Pains

Bug Fixes

The Sims 4

Get Famous

High School Years

PC: 1.90.375.1020 / Mac: 1.90.375.1220

Console: 1.62

Hello Simmers!

We have a few additional fixes since our previous patch release. A big thank you to all you community members who helped us track down these issues and provided information through Answers HQ.

- The Sims Team

Bug Fixes

The Sims 4

Sims with a short or long Lifespan no longer become younger or age dramatically when leaving Create a Sim.
The “Ask to be Girlfriend/Boyfriend” Want now targets appropriate Sims.
Adult Sims no longer tag teens in flirtatious Social Bunny posts.
All available Sims now can be selected for travel even if they are currently not on the current lot.

Get Famous

Sims without Fame no longer occasionally appear to have it.

High School Years

Sims now can walk through the I Was a Teenage Garbage Artist pile of clutter.
Field Researcher
#275 Old 5th Aug 2022 at 9:08 AM
So I saw a few reviews and videos and.. sigh. This is a theme I would've loved to see in the Sims 2 or 3. But it's The sims 4. Again, lots of game mechanics rehashed and nothing new and interesting. And I saw that you can't even form clubs on the High School , really? The most logical and useful feature.

Instead of focusing on the High Shool Experience and the school acitvities they really found a way to make this boring lol. They could've done so much more for the class activities to have different states such as in the Sims 3 (Focused, Slack in Class etc.). It would've been cute your grade to depend on your participation in class and the level of homework you've done. (a little challenge EA! not everything has to be simfluencer and bobba teas or whatever). Send paper messages while in class, have actual exams and your grade depending on your school activities and performance.

For science class it would be cute to add new activities, make experiments, gather frogs and your grade to depend on this. Also for history or geography class to tie it in with the library or a town hall venue where you need to go and interview the mayer and ask about the town etc..

I also saw lots of people complaining the game is broken again Every time they touch anything that has to do with gameplay, it breaks.

Build and buy are cute as always. Body hair is plain ugly. CAS is OK.
Page 11 of 47