Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#976 Old 3rd Jan 2021 at 5:30 PM
@jotaerre I am very ashamed as a Sci-fi fan that I've never managed to read the Dune books all of the way through, for some reason they bore me rigid! The film too. It's the sort of book I should love, I hold dear so many others of similar genre, and I love LeGuin, Bradbury, Heinlein, Pohl etc. Maybe I'll try again, I want so much to love it!

I'm reading Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars trilogy, and so far I'm enjoying them greatly. I always used to be reading several books at a time (one at work, one in the bath, one by the bed and so on) but in recent years I just read one, which goes everywhere with me thanks to my Kindle. Well, my whole library goes with me on that, but I  finish one before starting the next! My daughter who is a writer and artist thinks I am a heathen, she has my book collection and thinks Kindles are for losers. But I really love them, as I can make the print bigger, switch the attached light on at any time, and also it's not as heavy to hold Asimov's complete Foundation & Empire any more.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#977 Old 15th Jan 2021 at 9:19 PM
I want to re-read Dresden files, but can't find the first book (I'm almost sure I found the book and put it somewhere so I could start it, but forgot where I put it). I did find the nine or so next books, but not the first one. Oh well, I'll keep looking. In the meantime I guess I have plenty other books to read... I think I have two I'm somewhere in the middle/end of but haven't yet bothered finishing.

One is the Aeronaut's windlass by Jim Butcher - I wonder if he's ever going to write more books in that series(? so far it's just one book). It's not as engaging as the Dresden Files, but alright enough. Still have half of the book left, though.

The other is one of the Lorien series (can't remember the title, there's a ton of them). It's been one of my "backpack" books, but I took it out, left it next to my bed, and it's been untouched since. I don't read in bed a lot nowadays, mostly I read when I'm out traveling. I guess that's why, because it was quite fun to read.
Scholar
#978 Old 5th Feb 2021 at 1:53 PM
I'm currently re-reading my way through all of Asimov's science fiction, a mammoth task. Nearly all of his earlier books, including the 'robot' novels, ultimately tie in with the original Foundation Trilogy, taking place in the same space/time continuum. And there have since been two Foundation prequels* and two sequels, which I have just finished reading. Sadly, Asimov wasn't spared to write any more. The last one, Foundation and Earth, ties up all the threads of the earlier books, but leaves us with the tantalizing hint of a new threat to the Foundation, from beyond our Galaxy. We'll never know what it was.

(*My copy of second prequel, Forward the Foundation, grandly announces itself as "The breathtaking conclusion to the greatest science fiction epic of all time". It isn't. I sometimes suspect that the people who write the blurb on book covers have never actually read them).

Legend is history as we would like it to be. We pick through the dusts of time for what is worth keeping and, here and there, we occasionally find treasure.

Simblr: Elyndaworld *** Wordpress: Tales of Nantrelor
Test Subject
#979 Old 5th Feb 2021 at 2:42 PM
I'm re-reading the first Artemis Fowl novel (now that Disney ruined it) and also starting Son of Neptune ♥ I'm a HUGE fantasy lover.
Next I'd like to read Angels and Demons though, but I haven't been able to find it on my local bookstore.
Forum Resident
#980 Old 7th Feb 2021 at 2:45 PM
Last and First Men by Olaf Stapledon and The Sleeper Awakes by H.G Wells.

I am Error.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#981 Old 7th Feb 2021 at 2:53 PM
I've been reading some of the classics from here:
https://www.studyebooks.com/
Good site for free ebooks!
Test Subject
#982 Old 5th Apr 2021 at 4:43 PM
"The ONE Thing" by Gary W. Keller and Jay Papasan. I'm kinda in the beginning so I still can't say whether or not is worth the time
Scholar
#983 Old 25th Apr 2021 at 11:35 PM
Arthur C. Clarke - The Fountains of Paradise. And about time too, it's been sitting neglected and almost forgotten in my library for years, I could never get around to it before, but I've plenty of time to catch up on my reading lately. It is set in a fictional version of Sri Lanka (using the old poetical name of Taprobane) where they are trying to build an elevator to orbital space. No spoilers, but you can guess that not everything goes to plan. I'm on the last few chapters.

Legend is history as we would like it to be. We pick through the dusts of time for what is worth keeping and, here and there, we occasionally find treasure.

Test Subject
#984 Old 19th May 2021 at 3:48 PM

I'm new and deleted a post on accident
Mad Poster
#985 Old 16th Sep 2021 at 11:13 AM
I've been reading the Renegade series by Marissa Meyer. I absolutely love it! I read the first book when I was in uni years ago and it really stuck with me, then I got the whole trilogy for my birthday a few months ago. I've finally found the time to read and I've flown through the book. I'm actually kinda sad that I've had so much time to read because I've been getting through a book a day and I really need to pace myself.

Highly recommend. Lots of twists and turns. I'm really sad I'm 200 pages into the last book, I really don't want to leave this universe.

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Test Subject
#986 Old 2nd Oct 2021 at 8:38 AM Last edited by Binara : 3rd Oct 2021 at 9:46 AM.
Not so long ago I finished reading "The Crucible". Quite a cool piece, and now I'm in the process of reading "Fahrenheit 451". It seems to me that this is an eternal classic that everyone is obliged to read. If you are unfamiliar with these works, I recommend that you read some essays about them at https://papersowl.com/examples/ . Essays examples are very high quality and clearly convey the essence of the work, so it will definitely help you. Perhaps, even this will interest you and become an incentive to read these works. I assure you will like it.
Scholar
#987 Old 5th Dec 2021 at 10:52 AM
I've started reading the Thursday Murder Club by Richard Osman and it's been quite fun so far. Reading it out loud is extra amsuing to me but that might be because I am now easily entertained
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#988 Old 5th Dec 2021 at 11:08 AM
@Noa1500 I loved that book, read it in a rainy day when I was on holiday earlier in the year and couldn't put it down! I have his second book too, which is the same characters I think, but not started that one yet.
Scholar
#989 Old 21st Dec 2021 at 7:26 PM
David Copperfield. Over the past few months I have been working my way through a complete set of Dickens, which I rescued from a dumpster at the back of a charity shop. So far I have read The Old Curiosity Shop, A Tale of Two Cities, Bleak House, Hard Times and re-read The Pickwick Papers and Oliver Twist. Only a little to go with DC, so it'll be just the right time to read A Christmas Carol, again.

Lab Assistant
#990 Old 22nd Dec 2021 at 12:27 AM
Making a mental note to reread Fire & Blood by Gearge RR Martin.

How you feel about it's style depends on how much you like history books. I like it personally, especially the fact that the building blocks for the Dance of the Dragons get laid out like seventy years beforehand.

Saddens me a bit that Fire & Blood 2 won't likely happen (considering that GRRM said he won't get to it until A Dream of Spring drops and thinking about how long Winds of Winter is taking...) because I want all that expanded Blackfyre Rebellion goodness. Summerhall as well. Robert's Rebellion, maybe, depending on how in-depth things get because there's a longer period to cover than the first book.

BEEP BOOP FELLOW HUMANS
Scholar
#991 Old 27th Mar 2022 at 9:27 PM
Rereading the Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie again, but for once not in English. Normally I prefer to read in English but since I got the book from one of those street libraries I was like eh why not. Anyway its really weird when you read it out loud and suddenly come across a super English name and of course its gonna be pronounced in English and it just really sticks out? You know like when your gps is in a different language to the local language and it does the pause before attempting to say the name of the street? It kind of feels like that
Test Subject
#992 Old 11th Apr 2022 at 8:00 AM Last edited by Cho de Gier : 9th Sep 2023 at 5:46 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Graveyard Snowflake
Currently reading the first book of The Witcher series, Blood of Elves. It's interesting, but I heard the games are really good, so I wanna play those.

That is the second book the first book is the last wish/sword of Destiny. I have the complete series on my bookshelf just like the trilogy of the lord of the rings
I'm reading the Game of Thrones Serie again ( 4th time).

Mad Poster
#993 Old 11th Apr 2022 at 10:19 AM
I just finished "They Bith Die at The End' by Adam Silvera. It was brilliant. I might have cried a little. I spent a lot of time while reading it, working out how "Death Cast Calls" would work in real life, and a book that takes up space in my head outside of reading time is always good.

Starting 'This Lie Will Kill You' by Chelsea Pitcher, I'm about 5 pages in, so not long enough for me to have an opinion of it.

Scholar
#994 Old 13th Apr 2022 at 12:40 AM Last edited by Elynda : 13th Apr 2022 at 1:18 AM.
I wonder what the record is for the longest it has taken anybody to read a book. I think I may be in contention, because I have just finished reading a book that I started when I was about twelve or thirteen and for some reason never got round to finishing. I think I got about two thirds of the way through it last time.

It was one of my brothers' old books, "The Secret of Pedlar's Piece" by R. R. Stevens, quite a ripping 'Boy's Own' type of adventure yarn as it turned out. But it has lain unfinished and gathering dust in the attic for decades, along with a lot of other childhood books belonging to my siblings and myself, until I recently had a clear out. I'm supposed to be sorting through them, but instead I've been indulging in spot of nostalgia and revisiting some of my old favorites. And, after all, one really ought to finish what one starts.

Mad Poster
#995 Old 13th Apr 2022 at 1:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Elynda
I wonder what the record is for the longest it has taken anybody to read a book. I think I may be in contention, because I have just finished reading a book that I started when I was about twelve or thirteen and for some reason never got round to finishing. I think I got about two thirds of the way through it last time.

I started reading Slash's autobiography when I was about 11 or so, way before I really got into reading. Every time I finish a book I see it on the book shelf in the livingroom and think "I should probably read that". It's been 16 years. I should probably get round to reading it... or at least finishing it because I only had 100 or so pages left

Test Subject
#996 Old 29th Jun 2022 at 10:15 AM
Currently started World Of Warcraft: Illidan. Played the game years ago and the lore is really huge and interesting.
Scholar
#997 Old 9th Apr 2023 at 7:09 PM
Started The Man Who Died Twice by Richard Osman. Has the same energy as the Thursday Murder Club, so I def like it so far.
Test Subject
#998 Old 11th Jun 2023 at 7:53 PM
I've started to reread 'A Series of Unfortunate Events' and it's interesting how many little details you'll catch as an adult you miss as a kid.
Mad Poster
#999 Old 12th Jun 2023 at 12:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Noa1500
Started The Man Who Died Twice by Richard Osman. Has the same energy as the Thursday Murder Club, so I def like it so far.

I got both books for my birthday a few weeks ago. I look forward to reading them I believe he's wrote at least 1 or 2 other books?

I'm currently reading Loveless by Alice Oseman. As an asexual, I think it's good representation, I would use this book to explain what asexuality is to others, and before discovering asexuality I was definitely just "waiting for the feelings" for years or trying to work out if other people actually had these feelings or if they exaggerated or made them up like I did... but I dunno I'm half way through and I kinda feel it's just getting super repetitive. Every chapter is basically "if I do this I'm sure I'll get the feelings... nope... maybe I'm gay... nah I'm not gay... maybe if I do this other thing"... I mean I kinda get it, that's basically my whole experience of "crushes" in high school/University... but I guess I'm getting a little bored of reading it. I feel like there's relatively little of anything else so far... the other characters could've been so interesting, especially Rooney, but they all seem so 2 dimensional and we know so little about them other than brief sentences about their backgrounds. So far it gets about a 3.5/5 stars.

Theorist
#1000 Old 19th Jun 2023 at 11:47 AM
Under the Whispering Door by TJ Klune.

Quote:
Under the Whispering Door

Welcome to Charon's Crossing.
The tea is hot, the scones are fresh, and the dead are just passing through.

When a reaper comes to collect Wallace from his own funeral, Wallace begins to suspect he might be dead.

And when Hugo, the owner of a peculiar tea shop, promises to help him cross over, Wallace decides he’s definitely dead.

But even in death he’s not ready to abandon the life he barely lived, so when Wallace is given one week to cross over, he sets about living a lifetime in seven days.

Hilarious, haunting, and kind, Under the Whispering Door is an uplifting story about a life spent at the office and a death spent building a home.

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/un...n=9781250891877

This book comes with a trigger warning by the author. The book is not dark, so I'm guessing the warning is because of the subject matter. Natural death, accidental death and suicide. If anybody isn't up for that kind of story even though this book doesn't go into details, then stay away from it.

TJ Klune is quickly climbing my favorite author list. His writing style is much like Terry Brooks the author of Magic Kingdom For Sale- Sold. When I'm done with Under The Whispering Door, I'll be ordering Klune's newest book; In the Lives of Puppets.

I'm trying to avoid that whole hot mess where people keep buying books, but don't actually read them. It is a easy vicious cycle to get into...
Page 40 of 41