Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Jan 2023 at 11:20 PM Last edited by daisylee : 2nd Jan 2023 at 4:37 AM.
Default What a Way to Start the Year..... Your experiences with loss?
Aaaargh, our power was out for about 4 hours last night due to big storm. Back on a while so safe to Sim, right? Built new lot in world I am working on. Saved. Well heck, let's start another! ALMOST done when power went out again for about 6 hours, so totally lost. Grrrrrr.

I have lost maybe 3-4 builds in all my years of Sims and one Sim in travel in 1,2,3.

So, how many have SOB losses have you had? I guess I need to save constantly but this is very unusual for here.

Sigh...wish I had at least taken some photos which I am sure I did not do.

Will NOT talk about 4 which blew away well over half of my game. Was not happy about that. So fed up with that and other issues I totally uninstalled that on laptop but still have on PC.

edit: that was supposed to be sob/cry but my thought was SOB at time! LOL!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 2nd Jan 2023 at 4:35 AM
Yes, this was on my desktop. And I will get Nraas saver, thank you. We hardly ever lose our power but sure did at wrong time. If maybe ten minutes later I would have finished and been done.

Back to do again but at least will be faster this time. I made some horror decor choices last time so will need to decide if want to make as bad again for fun or not? Or make even worse for silly/odd world I am doing now.
Scholar
#4 Old 2nd Jan 2023 at 5:05 AM
I have lost hours of work on a number of very ambitious builds, simply by forgetting to save. What I did do was give the lot a name and a brief description, saved that, and then completely forgot the need to actually save it to the library. It was particularly frustrating when I had been struggling for hours with some difficult part and had finally got it right.

Or there was that other problem, when I had Store fixes installed, and had enabled buydebug, which resulted in the dreaded infinite save loop. Heartbreaking to have to shut the game down with Task Manager just when your masterpiece is nearing perfection!

Legend is history as we would like it to be. We pick through the dusts of time for what is worth keeping and, here and there, we occasionally find treasure.

Simblr: Elyndaworld *** Wordpress: Tales of Nantrelor
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 2nd Jan 2023 at 6:57 AM
It is soooo frustrating to lose our work. All masterpieces, of course. :D

Nraas does not work for EIG it seems as I never got a notice. But I did save often and no power outages tonight, so far.

I have had that never ending save also when using markers a few times. Was not happy about that.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 2nd Jan 2023 at 7:31 AM
Lost quite a few myself. It's frustrating to have to go back and build again because you forgot to save.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#8 Old 2nd Jan 2023 at 7:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
if your game takes too long to save, just save the lot into the bin.

In past I have put lots in bin also to protect them. I should do that even more.

I did a major redo of a world from Sims Realty which I need to finish and upload eventually. I got an OK to use it. The person used the skip markers or whatever called in attics of many lots. My game did not like to save with those. So one by one they were deleted.

I dread when game is slow to get back to edit town and think COME ON, don't let me down now! And every now and then is slow to get out of CASt and I am COME ON, move along now, please!
Instructor
#10 Old 2nd Jan 2023 at 9:41 AM
I lost all my edits on pre-made venues in Bridgeport because of this bug.

https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=524975

LGBTQ+. Fans of RAMMSTEIN, GOJIRA and Architects. Check out my favorite YouTube channels: Second Thought, Adam Something, Climate Town, and Not Just Bikes
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#11 Old 2nd Jan 2023 at 10:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
your game doesn't like skip markers? I use those religiously.

This was quite a while ago. I have not tried lately. I should do a test and see what happens now?

LOF: Yikes! I have never had that bug so far and hope never do!
Forum Resident
#12 Old 3rd Jan 2023 at 9:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
This was quite a while ago. I have not tried lately. I should do a test and see what happens now?

LOF: Yikes! I have never had that bug so far and hope never do!

Well, look at the bright side... at least you have someone to blame for losing data. My latest, and a couple other losses are because I have been too lazy to look up, and buy a new battery for my work (not real work, one I make things on) laptop. So, working on a project, had Blender, GIMP, TSRW and MTK open. Adjusting morph meshes, alignning UV to textures, looking at them in TSRW... AND had another game open and playing...

OOOOOPS!!!!!!! Power cord came loose, and all gone to the ether! Not as the battery has been bad since July or August, right?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#13 Old 4th Jan 2023 at 6:15 AM
I came home tonight to get phone message from utility company warning about more outages likely tomorrow as next big storm coming. I will not Sim tomorrow. Or save constantly if I do.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 4th Jan 2023 at 11:02 AM
Hope things don't get really screwy like in 2019. That was fun. Great precursor to the crapshow to come.