Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Top Secret Researcher
#11326 Old 23rd Apr 2022 at 2:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Andytampan
It is practically easy to make a functional rabbit house in sims 2

Please tell me you mean the coffee shop from that anime XD

Trans Rights Are Human Rights

Be careful who you hate; it may be someone you love.
=^..^=
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#11327 Old 24th Apr 2022 at 5:01 AM
I can't get over the fact that one of the EPs changed the job title "General" to "Allgemein" in the german version. It was fixed with the next EP, but I keep wondering what the heck happened with the localisation there? Did they just run it through Google Translate or was there truly a person doing the translations that had no idea what a general was? It's just... it's the same word in German! So odd.
Instructor
#11328 Old 24th Apr 2022 at 10:13 PM
KatKaleen: Machine translation? That's what happens to most games these days.
Top Secret Researcher
#11329 Old 24th Apr 2022 at 11:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by KatKaleen
I can't get over the fact that one of the EPs changed the job title "General" to "Allgemein" in the german version. It was fixed with the next EP, but I keep wondering what the heck happened with the localisation there? Did they just run it through Google Translate or was there truly a person doing the translations that had no idea what a general was? It's just... it's the same word in German! So odd.

Same problem with the Swedish version, only, it was never fixed. Military general in Swedish is just General too, but they translated it to Generell which means general as in "generally". Tacky. It's not even pronounced the same, "yeneraal" and "schenerell".

Omnia - Fantasy / Mythological / Medieval Hood
Ephemera MoreColorful - SimpleSkin Recolors
Forum Resident
#11331 Old 25th Apr 2022 at 10:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Pideli
Same problem with the Swedish version, only, it was never fixed. Military general in Swedish is just General too, but they translated it to Generell which means general as in "generally". Tacky. It's not even pronounced the same, "yeneraal" and "schenerell".

I remember as a kid I assumed that was just some alternative title/archaic spelling or whatever. Didn't even cross my mind it was an oversight like that. At least Buzz Grunt was spared from becoming Generell Snagg.

---
I read a book about cleaning and at the end there was a small section called "more inspiration" with a couple of books, a movie, and The Sims. No mention of the creators or EA or an explanation of what it was or anything, just "The Sims." But yeah, I see their point. And I actually thought of The Sims 2 while I was reading about caring for different kinds of floors, because I learned the word linoleum from The Sims 2 back in the days.

I am Error.
Mad Poster
#11332 Old 7th May 2022 at 12:12 AM
OK, lot finished, screenshots finished, description... not even a clue where to start.

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#11333 Old 17th May 2022 at 9:20 PM

This is an interesting picture -- well, interesting to me anyway. Viola Monty, Romeo and Mercutio's long lost sister, who has been living somewhere in Scandinavia, has returned to Veronaville and moved into her old parental home at 111 Stratford Street. Here she is amusing herself by noogieing an unsuspecting Andrew. Andrew doesn't usually get noogied, he's usually the one who does the noogieing. Andrew is gay and he only ever noogies boys. He's never noogied a girl, and he's certainly never been noogied by one. . . . Well, not until now!! The only person who's ever noogied Andrew till now is Julian, his long-term boyfriend -- now his husband. (The last time Julian noogied Andrew was on a Sunday morning -- just inside the West Door of St Simeon's Parish Church. Julian has a feel for time and place!)

But the strange thing is, when I check Andrew's and Viola's panels, they don't know each other, and they have no memories of meeting each other. I've known Andrew a long time, and it doesn't seem the sort of thing he'd forget (even though he might like to forget it!!). Now I assure you the picture is genuine, and it's not a "deep fake". So the only explanation I can think of to explain how they don't know each other, and have no memory of meeting each other, is that somehow the game was never saved after they noogied. This could be if I quit without saving, but I hardly ever do that, and I'm sure I'd remember if I did. So I reckon the only thing left is that the game crashed before I saved it.

Now I stopped playing after a series of crashes in January, and have only just restarted playing after restoring from a backup of 21st January, which I thought as before the first crash. This picture was taken on 16th January, so it's starting to look as if I maybe haven't gone back far enough. My previous backup was on 6th/7th January. Reverting to that would lose all the gameplay with Viola Monty (about 5 days), and a day or two with Kent Capp and his fiancé Daniel. I'd rather not lose all that, but the crashing (while trying to save) may have introduced some corruption. So I think what I have to do is to play quite intensively for a few days, with lots of community lot visits. If I get a lot of crashes then I know I have to go back further; if it plays well, then I'll go on playing.

NOTE: If you've never heard of Viola Monty, you can read about her and download her here (shared by carrit)
Screenshots

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
#11334 Old 18th May 2022 at 12:44 AM
I am still seeing strange things happen;in a new hood, the male CAT also becomes pregnant. Twin Sims were born - wrong sex/exit without saving/ come back to lot...twins show in family, but are NOT on lot! WHAT to do! I made the main hood, with clean templates (no townies should spawn); in the college hood some townie/ dormies spawned, 3 hung around the dorm where I had playables, but never moved in. I placed a SS lot I had made - assumed it would spawn SS members. Tried different combinations of norespawn sorts of mods...want SS members, just not the 30 or so I've had in past (due to another mod). When have a student call college "phonebook" it only shows my playables and the 3 sort-of dormies. Rats and scabies...

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#11335 Old 21st May 2022 at 9:07 AM
Ohh! The Sims 2 forum is so quiet today. I posted 12 hours ago (in another thread) and nobody's posted in any thread since. I wish somebody would post something outrageously controversial and get 117 Disagrees!

. . .That would liven things up a bit!!

My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
Top Secret Researcher
#11336 Old 21st May 2022 at 2:58 PM
Guys I discovered an amazing cheat!! You don't need to download clean neighborhood templates. All you need to do is enter "deleteallcharacters", works like a charm :lovestruc

Mad Poster
#11337 Old 21st May 2022 at 4:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Pideli
Guys I discovered an amazing cheat!! You don't need to download clean neighborhood templates. All you need to do is enter "deleteallcharacters", works like a charm :lovestruc

I believe there is a problem with this cheat - it does wipe all the characters, but, if I remember correctly, not the wants, fears and relationships - which can then lead to new sims picking these up, and that can lead to corruption, if I understood correctly - and that is why clean or empty templates are the better option.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#11338 Old 21st May 2022 at 4:32 PM
@Justpetro : I think Pideli is trying to get the 117 Disagrees that I mentioned.

@Pideli : I gave you your first one (along with a Funny and a Love). Congratulations!! (Our Sims congratulate each for the strangest of reasons, so I think we Simmers should be able do the same.) And thanks for livening up the forum a bit!!

My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
Forum Resident
#11339 Old 21st May 2022 at 7:58 PM
Lol I thought the sims 2 characters were much more mature than the sims 3 but in fact , they are exactly the same. To the sims 2, stealing a simple newspaper is outrageous.(By the way I don't know how would react my childish sims 3 people if a such interaction would exist lol) but they do this all the time, and then, they are always wandering around their ennemis houses.
I do agree with the reversed bin because they attract coackroachs.
And if you call the Police after being stolen by the Charlatan, they do nothing omg except they say 'ho him again we know about him" ...well something like this!! I am still waiting for my wallet be back...I think I won't have it back.
I really thought they put him in jail he's a crafty !

I speak French only. If my statements are harsh, rude for you, that's not intentional. I just think Different due to my Language and my Culture.
But truly, I am open-minded than you think of.
Mad Poster
#11340 Old 21st May 2022 at 9:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
@Justpetro : I think Pideli is trying to get the 117 Disagrees that I mentioned.

@Pideli : I gave you your first one (along with a Funny and a Love). Congratulations!! (Our Sims congratulate each for the strangest of reasons, so I think we Simmers should be able do the same.) And thanks for livening up the forum a bit!!

And somehow - somehow ??? - I missed the 117 degrees mention - dear me. Going to need that therapist when he is done with Alan Appleby in my hood soon
Top Secret Researcher
#11341 Old 27th May 2022 at 2:04 AM Last edited by Pideli : 27th May 2022 at 4:56 AM.
How i loooove when the game crashes after doing something boring but necessary for the bigger picture so you have to do it again. It loves to crash in exactly the wrong times.

EDIT: IT WAS SAVED!! Praise the Lord lol. It was just the entering into another lot that crashed, not the saving. I had moved a loooot of stuff from different sims' catalogues to another sim's catalogue and I really didn't want to do all that again.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#11342 Old 27th May 2022 at 4:00 PM
I find I enjoy playing The Sims 2, even when there's not much going on on the lot. I somehow find going through the minutiae of everyday life with them relaxing. Moreover my Sims are very much social animals -- there's almost always a visitor or two on the lot with them. I seldom find the time drags when I'm with my Sims. More often their bedtime comes too soon.

In addition, there are a few Sims in my game whose mere presence on the lot makes me feel happy and contented. Could that be love?

My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
Lab Assistant
#11343 Old 28th May 2022 at 3:49 PM
Help me. It's gonna happen, it's gonna happen again! I'm going on a download spree!
Forum Resident
#11344 Old 30th May 2022 at 2:46 PM
Does it possible that the sims 2 characters got more personality that we think? Could they have a proper personality? I mean I play without the trait mod , but Cerise was automatically attract to the pets than her neighbohours who visited her to say hello.
I don't know, I don't play it for too long to be convinced yet.

I speak French only. If my statements are harsh, rude for you, that's not intentional. I just think Different due to my Language and my Culture.
But truly, I am open-minded than you think of.
Mad Poster
#11345 Old 30th May 2022 at 3:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LucieSims
I don't know, I don't play it for too long to be convinced yet.

And there lies the problem
Mad Poster
#11346 Old 30th May 2022 at 5:12 PM Last edited by Peni Griffin : 30th May 2022 at 7:31 PM.
Oh, they definitely have their own personalities, and you don't need any mod for that! You just have to observe their autonomous behavior, their wants, and their fears, understand how the mechanics constrain them, and read them as you would any other fictional character. If you have a knack for that sort of thing you can start hearing their voices in your head; if you don't, you can still recognize patterns and trends. A Romance sim may be forced by the want tree mechanics to roll numbered woohoo wants but only roll specific wants about one lover and pay more attention to that lover than to other sims: looks like they have a high sex drive but are trying to channel it into one Grande Passion for their great True Love, so how do you play that? A sim with low active points may roll wants to do things you'd expect active sims to do, autonomously attend to the cleaning or yardwork, go out of their way to pay attention to the kids autonomously or roll lots of wants about them, want to get a job that you know would leave them too exhausted to do anything else with their lives: looks like that sim is not lazy at all but chafes against health restrictions so, how do you play that? Maybe a grouchy sim preferentially picks fights with people who have offended or maltreated their friends; looks like that sim may have a hard time relating to people but is fiercely affectionate and loyal, so how do you play that?

Pay attention and think; you'll see who your sims are, and the game from that point becomes endlessly fascinating.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#11347 Old 30th May 2022 at 6:15 PM
I agree with Peni-if you have a neighborhood built up long enough, you do get to understand them so that in many cases you know what they're going to do before they do it, because they do have a personality (aside from game mechanics) and you can use that understanding to get them to do things they would rather do and should do when they're stuck in their own way.
You have to watch them for hints of what they want-they sometimes throw thoughts that give you ideas of what to do next-like in Arundel, my merchant, Gordon McCain, briefly thought about having another child, but decided that after 3 it was not necessary.
However, his wife picked up on the vibe and is actively wanting a child. Gordon doesn't know it but she is trying to get pregnant..and she really doesn't care what her husband thinks because it's her wish. She doesn't like odd numbers, and 3 is an odd number. One more boy would round it up. Gordon won't be happy, but she will.

You just gotta read them correctly.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Theorist
#11348 Old 30th May 2022 at 9:38 PM
Sorry, but I will only believe that Sims "have a personality beyond the game mechanics" if somebody shoes me the code for it, no sooner (if that exists, and somebody found it, I will be genuinely, very interested in it)
Until then I will assume it's just people projecting a personality into a combination of random occurrences and gameplay mechanics, just like it happens when other fictional characters "develop a life of their own".

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Mad Poster
#11349 Old 30th May 2022 at 9:47 PM
Honey, what do you think this game is? What do you think fiction is? What do you think a personality is? 90% of this stuff takes place in your head, and 100% of meaning does. Emergent properties are still properties.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Forum Resident
#11350 Old 30th May 2022 at 10:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Orphalesion
Sorry, but I will only believe that Sims "have a personality beyond the game mechanics" if somebody shoes me the code for it, no sooner (if that exists, and somebody found it, I will be genuinely, very interested in it)
Until then I will assume it's just people projecting a personality into a combination of random occurrences and gameplay mechanics, just like it happens when other fictional characters "develop a life of their own".

In my opinion, what you say happens when you don't use the sims much and are in free will mode having lost the magic. It happens to me often. But I do think that sims have their own personalities according to their points in different areas and even experiences, it's just that sometimes it's hard to recognize how they really are, sometimes it's hard for me too.
Page 454 of 515