Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Open underneath Maxis stairs

by crocobaura Posted 27th May 2007 at 9:06 PM

105 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 98 Feedback Posts, 6 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 2 of 5
Lab Assistant
#26 Old 29th May 2007 at 8:17 PM
You Rock WOMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lab Assistant
#27 Old 29th May 2007 at 11:49 PM Last edited by MrsSmellymaus : 31st May 2007 at 5:08 AM. Reason: received an answer
Quote: Originally posted by frendies
Fabulous idea! Just the stairs I was looking for. I just hate all the space the maxis stairs take and I ended up using Targas one tile stairs...now I can go back to modular stairs.
THank you so much!

Oh, you're so right!! I use Targas ladder too when space is rare, for example for the attic. I often make a house for 2 Adults and one child and when the child becomes a teen, the parents working on a new baby and they need a second floor! Where to put the stairs?? So, this is a good solution to save some space! Thanks!

I hope I'll put the right thing in the right folder! I have to read the instructions carefully !

bye smelly

Ps.: I was always wondering why Maxis didn't make space-saving stairs! The elevator was a step forward, but spiral-stairs would be better. I'm glad there are talented creators in the community! You're great!!

EDIT: 2 QUESTIONS:

1. Should I copy this too/the whole text? #crocobaura_wooden stairs open

2. Should I extract the package-file to my download-folder?

*EDIT: Thanks for answering!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#28 Old 30th May 2007 at 1:27 AM
Yes, copy the whole text, it tells you what stairs it is, in case you want to delete the stairs then you will know which text to remove if you want to.
The package file goes into your downloads folder as usual.
Lab Assistant
#29 Old 31st May 2007 at 12:13 AM
i have a quick question. i installed the files in my downloads folder, but they didnt show up in my game. and before i even tried to put the txt documents wherever they needed to go. but i didnt have the designated file destination you put up there, and i have no idea what the frick a scriptorium (er whatever) is!

help?

haha
i feel like such a noob even though ive been playing since forever

our days were numbered by nights on too many rooftops. they said we burned so bright, we'd burn the city and go.
Lab Assistant
#30 Old 31st May 2007 at 4:59 AM Last edited by MrsSmellymaus : 31st May 2007 at 5:21 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by MsKellyAnne
i have a quick question. i installed the files in my downloads folder, but they didnt show up in my game. and before i even tried to put the txt documents wherever they needed to go. but i didnt have the designated file destination you put up there, and i have no idea what the frick a scriptorium (er whatever) is!

help?

haha
i feel like such a noob even though ive been playing since forever

I've also had problems to finding the paths, but you can't find it by clicking on the normal "EA Games-folder".

You have to go at START!

"start" > then go to where the accounts of every user are (in German it's called) "Arbeitsplatz" > go to your local "C:" > "Program Files" > "EA GAMES" > in your language "The Sims2" > "TSData" > "Res" > "Catalog" > "Scripts" > "modularstai..."

This "modularstairs.txt" is the file where you put the downloaded .txt-file in.
You can find it, when you open the downloaded file in WinRar, there are two files, one ends with ".package" the other one with ".txt", this .txt-file you need to open by clicking twice, copy and paste it into "modularstairs.txt".

Hope I could somehow help you, although I had problems explaining it in English.
Test Subject
#31 Old 31st May 2007 at 9:35 AM
The Good: These are just awesome stairs thank you for your hard work and sharing with us!

The Bad: The Q-Xpress (download all) doesn't seem to include the text files.

The Ugly: I am downloading the files manually with the D/L floppy icon ( which include the text too and putting them in my scriptorium. More work but worth it!

Again thank you for your creativity!
Test Subject
#32 Old 2nd Jun 2007 at 8:31 AM
These will come in handy. Thanks!

And thanks to you too, MrsSmellymaus for explaining that in such detail. I was kind of unsure what to do but now I'm not.
Lab Assistant
#33 Old 2nd Jun 2007 at 4:52 PM Last edited by tweety64801 : 2nd Jun 2007 at 5:00 PM. Reason: Read Policy after posting
These are exactly what I was looking for some white recolors would be great but these are so great thanks.

When you see someone without a smile Give them Yours! Want to impress your Father this Father's Day come check out my new site...http://holladaure.ecrater.com/
Lab Assistant
#34 Old 5th Jun 2007 at 12:00 AM
Thanks! These solved my "melting stairs" problem
Test Subject
#35 Old 8th Jun 2007 at 10:59 PM
I can't seem to get these to work. They show up in game, and I can place them whereever is free, but I can't put things under them or put them on top of existing couchs/decoration/etc.

I do not have the Scriptorium, so I copied & pasted the text in the files onto the modular stairs texts under the aforementioned path. I also have the Seasons expansion; so should I try putting the text under the same path under \The Sims 2 Seasons\ ?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#36 Old 9th Jun 2007 at 12:35 AM
you need to use the cheat moveobjects on in order to be able to put stuff under them.
And you can't put them on top of existing things.
Test Subject
#37 Old 9th Jun 2007 at 1:34 AM
Thought I should be nice and give you a big THANK YOU for these stairs. It's extremely pathetic how bad I am at tying to make things for this game. You would think I was three years old. Haha.

Anyway, very much appreciated.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#38 Old 9th Jun 2007 at 2:32 AM
I just came across this thread completely accidentially out of sheer coincidence and .. you made my day! No, week! Month! I love you! Thank you SO much! I'm going to use them to bits!

Off to play with those .. good thing I don't need to get up early tomorrow =)

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Lab Assistant
#39 Old 10th Jun 2007 at 7:12 PM Last edited by Deadbeat 007 : 10th Jun 2007 at 7:49 PM.
These look wonderful, thank you! I can't seem to get them to show up in my game, though. I tried installing them manually, but that didn't work, so I downloaded the script and put the txt file you included in the "modular stairs" folder. Is there anything else I should do to get them to work? Will they show up as their own icon under modular stairs in the game?

Thanks again.

EDIT: durr, I was looking for the custom content * on the icon. It's there -- thank you!
Lab Assistant
#40 Old 14th Jun 2007 at 8:07 AM
can you make some solid colour recolours? Like black, red that whole thang...
Test Subject
#41 Old 17th Jun 2007 at 4:35 AM
I can't get the .txts to open on my computer (other than the modularstairs one), can you possibly send me the text I need to paste in? Sorry if I'm being a pain!
Test Subject
#42 Old 27th Jun 2007 at 8:25 PM
These are terrific! Can't wait to try them out. I've followed all the directions, so they should work. This explains why most of the stairs I've downloaded previously never show up. Never knew about that text file!
Test Subject
#43 Old 5th Jul 2007 at 9:16 PM
I love these stairs, and they work great in my game. Thanks!

I also have a question-- how did you do the stair landings in your screenshots?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#44 Old 5th Jul 2007 at 10:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by selenaanne
I also have a question-- how did you do the stair landings in your screenshots?

The landings were made with the stage foundation that came with one of the EPs, I think OFB.
Test Subject
#45 Old 10th Jul 2007 at 7:25 PM
this is awesome.I've been wanting something like this.
The house is awesome too xD

Thanks,Jessica
Test Subject
#46 Old 29th Jul 2007 at 12:40 AM
I've got the stairs in my game, but when i tried to place them, it tells me that it can't place it on the top level or something like that, and i'm not sure why, if someone might know why this is happening, could you tell me how to fix it?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#47 Old 29th Jul 2007 at 11:13 AM
Hi, did you install the text files as well?
Test Subject
#48 Old 29th Jul 2007 at 7:12 PM
hey, i'm pretty sure i did it right, i put the text files into the Scriptorium_ModularStairs folder but the stairs just won't work
Lab Assistant
#49 Old 2nd Aug 2007 at 5:29 PM
Hey i actually needed this today... and many other days before... Ohhh i always hated that the only stairs that where open was the god damn plastic stairs :p
thx

http://paradox-symphony.deviantart.com

If you like my creations then please rate and comment. I love feedback :D
Test Subject
#50 Old 17th Aug 2007 at 5:17 PM
Wow, I was in here downloading the stairs for a lot another creator made, and these stairs look exactly like the ones in my house. In fact the rooms you have them in are the shape of my living room.
Just thought I'd share the strange coincidence.
Page 2 of 5