Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#29126 Old 14th Jan 2022 at 2:27 PM
If I have a recolor without a mesh, I usually check the name, description and location in my CC folder for any clues. If that doesn't give me anything, I'll sometimes collect up anything with the name "mesh" in it from my old CC (usually the reason items don't have meshes is because I've extracted sims from after I removed a good third of my CC a long while back) and see if the item appears. If it does, I'll narrow it down with some kinda-50/50 and various other methods.

If you think you've found a few contenders for the mesh, sometimes the fastest way to check is with SimPE. You can compare a CAS mesh and recolor file via the CRES/SHPE instances in the mesh file, and the Resource and CRES in the 3DIR. If they match, it's the correct mesh/texture combination.

(Here shown for a hair file, but it's the same method for clothes - hairs and accessories often have multiple 3DIRs and meshes, so with those, make sure you check for the proper age/gender. You only need to check one, since if there's one match, the others will match too. It's just a few more resources to keep track of than for clothes)

If you have orphan mesh files, you can check the preview and see if it looks anything like what the recolor file is supposed to look like.

I've found all of this pretty useful when sorting through old CC. Found lots of orphaned files I could either throw out or pair with their meshes/recolors.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#29127 Old 14th Jan 2022 at 5:27 PM
I've seen people saying in the download description for geneticized skintones that removing them from your game "will cause neighborhood corruption" but is that actually true?? It doesn't sound right to me, I would imagine that all that will happen would be the sims who have them will revert back to the default S2, right?
Mad Poster
#29128 Old 14th Jan 2022 at 5:34 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 14th Jan 2022 at 6:02 PM.
^ Not neighborhood corruption.
What it can cause is genetic "corruption", in that sims who have this skin (and/or geneticized eyes) in their gene pool will still be able to transfer those genes to their offspring, so you can end up with a lot of sims running about with what looks like EAxis/default skins that have the wrong genetic value.

If a sim's skin goes missing, they visually default to the default skin #2, so that's what shows on the sim, but it's not what they transfer to their offspring.

For eyes, if those go missing, sims default to the eyes on their current skintone, so it's actually a bit worse to remove their eyes since the sim technically won't have eyes (I had a few of those in my test hood after a genetic mishap let loose, and the eyes that come with skins aren't always the prettiest...)

But you don't cause corruption that can't be fixed. A round of fixing individual eyes/skins in SimPE, or (if you don't want to take the SimPE route) banning these sims from having offspring is all it takes.

If you want to keep using the eyes/skin without it spreading all over the neighborhood, you can de-geneticize it (undo the steps done to genetize them), or find a custom variant that uses the same files.
Mad Poster
#29129 Old 14th Jan 2022 at 6:21 PM
Degeneticizing the skin does not actually stop it from being passed on to children, it just changes how it can be passed on. All custom skins can cause broken genetics if you remove them.
Mad Poster
#29130 Old 14th Jan 2022 at 7:13 PM
^ True, but if you degenetitize the skins/eyes, at least you don't get the random, somewhat uncontrolled spawning. It just goes back to being regular custom. It gives you the choice of being able to keep the CC items so the sims can stay as-is in your game, while the uncontrolled genetics of the items stop and go back to being an either/or with regular custom genetics. For those who aren't comfortable with SimPE, this is a possible option (if there are both custom and geneticized variants of the skins/eyes available). It could also be a bit quicker to fix a few skins/eyes than who knows how many sims, depending on how widespread it is and how many eyes/skins or sims are affected.

If you want to remove the CC, fixing the sims' genetics with SimPE is the best way to fix it once and for all.
Instructor
#29131 Old 14th Jan 2022 at 7:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jonasn
Yes, the skin overlay change causes a massive CPU usage. But luckily it happens infrequently from hot or cold temperature.

It may happen infrequently in a normal game. In my test of time challenge where it's an eternal summer and they basically live in a field everybody's constantly overheating and getting burnt, then drinking 3 glasses of water and becoming unburnt, then like 10 minutes later getting burnt again
Inventor
#29132 Old 14th Jan 2022 at 7:31 PM
I know nothing about models and textures. Why is this operation so much slower than applying clothing?
Mad Poster
#29133 Old 14th Jan 2022 at 7:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
^ True, but if you degenetitize the skins/eyes, at least you don't get the random, somewhat uncontrolled spawning. It just goes back to being regular custom. It gives you the choice of being able to keep the CC items so the sims can stay as-is in your game, while the uncontrolled genetics of the items stop and go back to being an either/or with regular custom genetics. For those who aren't comfortable with SimPE, this is a possible option (if there are both custom and geneticized variants of the skins/eyes available). It could also be a bit quicker to fix a few skins/eyes than who knows how many sims, depending on how widespread it is and how many eyes/skins or sims are affected.

If you want to remove the CC, fixing the sims' genetics with SimPE is the best way to fix it once and for all.

I mean, you can *sort of* describe the way geneticized skintones work as "random spawning" although it's not really like that at all if you geneticized them properly, but eyes work exactly the same way when they're "not geneticized", "not geneticized" for eyes just means they are dominant over all other colors.
Mad Poster
#29134 Old 14th Jan 2022 at 8:12 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 14th Jan 2022 at 8:29 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by kestrellyn
I mean, you can *sort of* describe the way geneticized skintones work as "random spawning" although it's not really like that at all if you geneticized them properly, but eyes work exactly the same way when they're "not geneticized", "not geneticized" for eyes just means they are dominant over all other colors.

Well, semi-random-ish, then, since they don't randomly appear outside of their range - but in some cases they can seem to appear at random.

When you have skins you know the genetic value of, it's fine - but if you've downloaded CC together with a sim or other items that haven't been clearly marked as geneticized, and those are let loose on the neighborhood, then they can appear to be somewhat randomly spawning.

Both custom (not geneticized) skins and eyes are dominant over defaults, at least in the first generation. There's probably some recessive genes that could count if you play generational.

(If removed from downloads, CC eyes disappear from the sim, so the eyes showing are the ones from the skin and don't default back to any of the original eyes. Removed CC skins default to the S2 skin texture, but the sim's genetics are the same as before - that goes for eyes, too).
Mad Poster
#29135 Old 14th Jan 2022 at 8:15 PM
No, non-geneticized skins can appear in the recessive gene, as well. They are only always dominant if the sim is homozygous for the same non-geneticized skin, and even then, if the other parent is also homozygous for a different non-geneticized skin it is 50/50.
Alchemist
#29136 Old 14th Jan 2022 at 8:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Pideli
Extract her with SimPE, clone her in body shop and then package her. Then open the package with Clean Installer and there will be the name of the clothing (as well as everything else the sim has on).

There's a thing I have never done...but I found a tutorial!
...and, she has no CC. The only thing CleanInstaller lists is a Face Preset.

I think that means she is wearing a default replacement mesh, so I'm off to find out what the outfit (seen in Bodyshop) is called, and then what I have replaced it with...

My new downloads are on my Pillowfort
Mad Poster
#29137 Old 15th Jan 2022 at 6:29 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 15th Jan 2022 at 11:05 PM.
Is anyone else having slow downloads at Simfileshare today? Even small files hang and don't want to download. So far I've successfully managed to download one file at around 1 MB, and it probably took at least 5-10 minutes...

Tried with a few other places (like Google Drive), and had no issues downloading much larger files (50 MB) almost instantly, so it's not my internet.

It's probably just a passing issue, but kinda annoying (everything is at SFS these days). Had no problems yesterday, so hopefully it's back to working soon.

EDIT (a few hours later) - downloads are still slow, but at least they're mostly going through instead of failing 9 out of 10 times like earlier.
Forum Resident
#29138 Old 15th Jan 2022 at 6:45 PM
^ Tested with a random file, I'm getting literally 1 b speed, so not even kb but just b. So yes, it's a bit slow. Thanks for the indirect reminder that I haven't added mirror links to any of my latest uploads. :P
Scholar
#29139 Old 15th Jan 2022 at 10:02 PM
https://psychosim.livejournal.com/20443.html

I tried to ask at this link but haven't heard anything back yet ......
This creator has at least two lots that are not connected to roads !
The independent lots are in the N-hood with all of the CC, and Psychosim's lots added.

How do I do this myself in another hood ?
I didn't think this needed a thread of it's own -- but if I should do it anyway, please let me know, thanks !

" Inama Nushif "
Mad Poster
#29140 Old 15th Jan 2022 at 10:17 PM
I'm pretty sure ICAD (aka Dramallamadingdong) did a tutorial for it, possibly on her tumblr?

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Alchemist
#29141 Old 15th Jan 2022 at 10:28 PM
Use the lot adjuster to move lots away from roads.

"Thinking of you, wherever you are. We pray for our sorrows to end, and hope that our hearts will blend." - Kingdom Hearts

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
aka Kelyns | she/her
Scholar
#29142 Old 15th Jan 2022 at 10:30 PM Last edited by Tleilaxu3 : 15th Jan 2022 at 11:40 PM.
Thanks Peni Griffin and Phantomknight.

Looked it up at these links :
https://dramallamadingdang.tumblr.c...lots-but-how-do

https://modthesims.info/d/384656/lo...ay-23-2013.html

" Inama Nushif "
Mad Poster
#29143 Old 16th Jan 2022 at 6:54 AM
Almost never use Body Shop, but just noticed it only has 24 Custom skins, but in-game CAS has 42. What's going on?

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Instructor
#29144 Old 16th Jan 2022 at 7:57 AM
Can you throw a party on a community lot
Field Researcher
#29145 Old 16th Jan 2022 at 8:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Fearless Butterfly
Can you throw a party on a community lot

Parties can only be thrown on your residential lot. You have two ways to overcome this limit though:
◉ If you have the Nightlife Expansion Pack, you can create a Group with your phone and you can invite a group to a community lot for an outing. This is not technically a party but it's very similar: the members of the group will hang out and your outing will be scored. For example, if you want to throw a wedding party on a community lot, you can create a Group with the sims you want to invite and organize an outing on a community lot where there's a wedding arch. Use the wedding arch to celebrate the marriage, and all the group members will go in front of the altar to watch!
◉ There's a mod that allows you to throw parties on community lots. If you have Freetime, Apartment Life or Mansions&Gardens, the link to download the mod is here: CLICK! Otherwise if you have an earlier Expansion Pack, your download link is here: CLICK!

Also, I have a question: how can I turn an already existing sim into a Service NPC? For example, if I wanted to turn Brandi Broke into a maid like Kaylynn Langerak, how would I do so?
Inventor
#29146 Old 16th Jan 2022 at 9:22 AM
I've done this multiple times. You need to open the character file (such as N001_User00008.package) from the neighborhood via SimPE, and make edits to it. Find a maid to use as an example, and open that in a separate window.

In the Brandi Broke character find the OBJd resource and replace the original GUID of standard Template Person to that of the NPC Maid. 0x7FD96B54 -> 0x4C5BA139

I am unsure how much of the remaining resources are strictly required, because they are usually taken from the objects.package or mods, but to be safe, I extract and copy over all of the following: BCON, BHAV, OBJf, TTAs, Text Lists. Remove Brandi's original versions of each of these. There is some code that makes the NPC special until he becomes a normal visitor.

Finally set the NPC Type (from the Neighborhood view -> SDSC -> Other) to 0x13.
Then move the person into the NPCs family 0x7FFF. This is easiest done using a mod object in game. I think there are several that can do this. I've my own.
Top Secret Researcher
#29147 Old 16th Jan 2022 at 10:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by grammapat
Almost never use Body Shop, but just noticed it only has 24 Custom skins, but in-game CAS has 42. What's going on?

Try deleting cache files. (The go-to answer :P)

Omnia - Fantasy / Mythological / Medieval Hood
Ephemera MoreColorful - SimpleSkin Recolors
Field Researcher
#29148 Old 16th Jan 2022 at 11:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jonasn
I've done this multiple times. You need to open the character file (such as N001_User00008.package) from the neighborhood via SimPE, and make edits to it. Find a maid to use as an example, and open that in a separate window.

In the Brandi Broke character find the OBJd resource and replace the original GUID of standard Template Person to that of the NPC Maid. 0x7FD96B54 -> 0x4C5BA139

I am unsure how much of the remaining resources are strictly required, because they are usually taken from the objects.package or mods, but to be safe, I extract and copy over all of the following: BCON, BHAV, OBJf, TTAs, Text Lists. Remove Brandi's original versions of each of these. There is some code that makes the NPC special until he becomes a normal visitor.

Finally set the NPC Type (from the Neighborhood view -> SDSC -> Other) to 0x13.
Then move the person into the NPCs family 0x7FFF. This is easiest done using a mod object in game. I think there are several that can do this. I've my own.

Thank you!!!!
Instructor
#29149 Old 16th Jan 2022 at 6:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Khal Ulti
Parties can only be thrown on your residential lot. You have two ways to overcome this limit though:
◉ If you have the Nightlife Expansion Pack, you can create a Group with your phone and you can invite a group to a community lot for an outing. This is not technically a party but it's very similar: the members of the group will hang out and your outing will be scored. For example, if you want to throw a wedding party on a community lot, you can create a Group with the sims you want to invite and organize an outing on a community lot where there's a wedding arch. Use the wedding arch to celebrate the marriage, and all the group members will go in front of the altar to watch!
◉ There's a mod that allows you to throw parties on community lots. If you have Freetime, Apartment Life or Mansions&Gardens, the link to download the mod is here: CLICK! Otherwise if you have an earlier Expansion Pack, your download link is here: CLICK!

Also, I have a question: how can I turn an already existing sim into a Service NPC? For example, if I wanted to turn Brandi Broke into a maid like Kaylynn Langerak, how would I do so?

Thank you!
Instructor
#29150 Old 16th Jan 2022 at 8:17 PM
Was randomly poking around SimPE and I have a question.

Are these tomatoes ones that are actively in the sim's inventory or does it log every single harvest and caught fish in a sim's life? I can't remember if he has tomatoes on him at the moment or not, and I'm not on his household in the rotation to check yet.
Page 1166 of 1345