Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Alpha editable dress

by PAF Posted 24th Apr 2006 at 6:22 AM - Updated 26th Apr 2006 at 5:35 AM by PAF : body mesh

51 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 49 Feedback Posts, 1 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 2 of 3
Instructor
Original Poster
#26 Old 3rd May 2006 at 2:08 PM
Celt you only need those if you are going to make recolours.Othrewise just download the PAFdress01.rar as normal.
Test Subject
#27 Old 4th May 2006 at 1:11 AM
Okay! After I had posted, I had dropped the package file from the other file and was suprised that it worked. LOL When it comes to meshes and skinning and all that, people like you are like rockstars to me. I've successfully made a few lipglosses and eyeliners and an eye color or two. But when I tried my hand at meshing, I failed miserably. So thank you for making such a nice outfit and for answering my question!
Scholar
#28 Old 5th May 2006 at 7:56 AM
awesome thank you so much.

The rest of my skins can be found in my blog
http://navetsea.blogspot.com
Test Subject
#29 Old 10th May 2006 at 12:45 AM
I've been trying to do this for ages and I've just been tearing my hair out!! Do you think you could do a version without shoes for night attiire? Please!!
Cheers
M
Instructor
Original Poster
#30 Old 10th May 2006 at 1:23 AM
I have already promised to do one as soon as I finish the longer version.
Test Subject
#31 Old 11th May 2006 at 3:01 AM Last edited by Palemo : 11th May 2006 at 3:41 AM.
Default Thankyou PAF
Hi Paf I just love this alpha nighty so versatile, I have done a recolour on my site here

http://www.simsdivine.com/home
Thankyou again

Sandy
Instructor
Original Poster
#32 Old 11th May 2006 at 5:38 AM
Looks nice Sandy
Test Subject
#33 Old 16th May 2006 at 3:16 AM
Default So Much Fun!!
Quote: Originally posted by mab3796
I've been trying to do this for ages and I've just been tearing my hair out!! Do you think you could do a version without shoes for night attiire? Please!!
Cheers
M

I've done a recolor: Black lace slip, for this mesh. I'd just like to say once again how good it is! (the mesh that is!!)
I'm bustin' to get a no shoes version. I've got a mesh singlet that's just the ticket for working out or sleeping in underwear!!
Screenshots
Test Subject
#34 Old 18th May 2006 at 2:32 AM
I've been thinking a little about the body penetrating the alpha skirt (see photo of a sim doing yoga and her belly coming right through the skirt's mesh). It may not be possible to do anything about this. I've noticed in the game that occasionally a hand or other part of a sim might "disappear" inside a couch or some other object. I had one instance yesterday where one sim walked right through another sim! Obviously the animation is not like the real world, and placement errors occur.
On another matter, I have been trying to use the alpha skirt to make a PVC look dress in response to a request:
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=157295
I was trying to make the the skirt reflective like this http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?p=1218742, but Bodyshop seems to reset the values to default when the project is loaded (I am now trying to create the effect with painted highlights, a long a difficult job without a graphics tablet). I was wondering if it was something to do with being transparent: do you think transparency and reflectivity might be mutually exclusive? And I also noticed that during the painting process that the skirt gets mapped as a mirror image of what is painted on the basetexturename map. Not really a problem, once you become used to it, but it did make me wonder... In my attempts to make a mesh over skirt using milkshape, the skirt usually is kind of inside out, if you know what I mean, and it occured to me that maybe that is why I can't change the reflectivity. These are just some observations, not criticisms: I'm really very impressed with what you've done, the more so because I've been trying do a similar thing and just can't pull it off! This really is the most versatile mesh I've seen yet, and I think you should be well pleased with yourself!
Cheers
M
Screenshots
Instructor
Original Poster
#35 Old 18th May 2006 at 3:18 AM
Thanks mab.

The stmoach pokeing through is because I forgot about the Yoga thing when I was makeing it and I cut out alot of veritces around the stomach to try andkeep the poly count down (if I didn't cut down the polys alot I would have doubled the size of any mesh in the game and maybe more than that.)

I doubt I can get it perfect. I would like to eliminate the clipping around the legs when walking though.I have done alot of work on the uv's for the next version and I will try to make sure everything is faceing the right direction.

About the reflexitivity, I read somehere several months ago that to get that to work the whole alpha must be white so I think that you are right about the transparency.Did you try to use the recolour package with the purple dress.It does not have the transparency enabled so it may work.I'm not sure though because I haven't tried.
Test Subject
#36 Old 18th May 2006 at 4:23 AM
I am using the purple one, I'm not sure why I can't get the reflectivity thing to work. In the package there appears to only be one material definition file associated with the skirt, I can change that, commit and save. It's only when it goes through bodyshop that the values are reset.
I don't have much luck with this more involved stuff! LOL I think I'll stick to recolouring!
Test Subject
#37 Old 30th Jun 2006 at 5:22 PM
Thank you very much.
Test Subject
#38 Old 3rd Jul 2006 at 10:07 AM
Thank you very much. It's beautiful.
Lab Assistant
#39 Old 15th Jul 2006 at 6:22 AM
Very cool. Thanx!

<(O..O)>
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#40 Old 15th Jul 2006 at 10:14 AM
However do you manage to make a dress that doesn't just go flesh coloured in the bits you blacked out the alpha? Is this actually in a clothing category or an accessory?
Instructor
Original Poster
#41 Old 15th Jul 2006 at 3:01 PM
Inge a body mesh with secondary (alpha) groups is alpha editable.The primary group won't be but the alpha groups will be.The hula skirt is a an example of one that was made by Maxis. I just changed it a bit.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#42 Old 15th Jul 2006 at 3:11 PM
I'm gonna have to open your package to see exactly what you mean I think. It'll probably make sense then
Instructor
Original Poster
#43 Old 15th Jul 2006 at 8:46 PM
If I figured it out it will probably only take you a second you seem to be alot better at this stuff that I am but if you have any questions I will be glad to help and thanks for all of the sutff that you and Peter have done with Simpe.
Field Researcher
#44 Old 25th Jul 2006 at 8:53 AM
Very cool.
Thanx!
Lab Assistant
#45 Old 27th Jul 2006 at 6:38 PM Last edited by Rsim : 27th Jul 2006 at 6:45 PM.
I hope that is what this is Inge. I really hoped for something that had an alpha map that would allow the mesh not to be seen rather than the mesh going grey. I do understand that an alpha map is a visual thing and it usually only affects textures, but it would be nice if it could affect meshes.

Edit: Yes! It does. Marvine, I will definately check out yours now.

For anyone who wants to know, with this mesh, if you black out a part of the mesh it makes that part of the mehs invisible rather than mesh colored. This makes the dress extremely versatile.
Forum Resident
#46 Old 16th Sep 2006 at 7:22 PM
Cheers!, this is a great mesh - thanks for sharing!...

To all, of the very talented MTS-2 creative types - my sincere thanks for taking the time to create/upload/share...
Test Subject
#47 Old 2nd Nov 2006 at 11:22 PM
For some reason I can't get this mesh to work. Any suggestions???
Instructor
Original Poster
#48 Old 5th Nov 2006 at 3:54 AM
I don't know of any problems with the mesh, you did put the mesh and at least one rocolour in your saved sims or downloads folder, right?
Forum Resident
#49 Old 23rd May 2007 at 2:18 AM
thank you

What about the thousands of wonderful men and women who are fighting this war without any of the credit or the glory that always goes to those lucky few who just happen to get shot?
Test Subject
#50 Old 14th Aug 2007 at 2:58 PM
Thank you very much!

Sims contains the infinite imagination!!!
I love it so much~~~~
Page 2 of 3