Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Aug 2014 at 12:31 PM
Default TS1 Windowed (unremovable black box)
I think I'm not the only one having this problem but I am wondering if anyone knows a fix for this?

I am running TS1 on Windows 8, it works fine full-screen.. But when running it windowed there is a big black box covering the game that I cannot move or get rid of. I can drag the window around it with the game displayed but the black box covers my entire screen and makes it unplayable when in window-mode.

Did I do it wrong? I usually go to properties > Shortcut > Target ... and edit the .exe file with a "-w" at the end.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 11th Aug 2014 at 1:15 PM
I had the same problem. Didn't manage to 'fix' it, but a workaround is to hit Ctrl+Alt+Del to open up the Task Manager menu and then exit back onto the desktop. It got rid of the black screen for me.

If anyone knows how to properly fix it, that would be cool!
Mad Poster
#3 Old 11th Aug 2014 at 2:33 PM
I'd be curious to see if there is a "fix" as well since the game was not designed to work in windowed mode. My guess is that the workaround you proposed is the best it's going to get.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Test Subject
#4 Old 14th Aug 2014 at 4:39 AM
I'm having the same problem
Test Subject
#5 Old 25th Aug 2014 at 9:38 PM
Just so you know, I also have this problem. No need to go to task manager to close it. You will find you can move the windowed game over enough to close it properly, and as soon as it is closed, the black box is gone. Only way around it is to play in full screen, which is okay if you aren't planning to do anything else on the computer for a while. As soon as you get a message or have to open something else, it will glitch out the game graphically, and you will end up closing. . . without saving, I might add.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 25th Aug 2014 at 10:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simhummingbird
Only way around it is to play in full screen, which is okay if you aren't planning to do anything else on the computer for a while. As soon as you get a message or have to open something else, it will glitch out the game graphically, and you will end up closing. . . without saving, I might add.
When you're playing full screen, you should be able to hit alt+tab to minimize the game while you check something else on your computer...no? That's how it's always worked for me, but maybe I have an older operating system. The latest system I've played on is Windows Vista.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 21st Jun 2020 at 1:56 AM
Sorry for necroposting but ctrl + alt + delete didn't solve it for me. The black box is still there.

I can only bypass it by either starting it in REAL fullscreen, or stay in windowed mode and have the desktop resolution be higher than the game's resolution.

(I have an ATI video card by the way)