Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Wiki Wizard
#101 Old 7th Mar 2010 at 10:44 PM
Take as much time as you need, we need to do all of our buildings and sims so there is no major rush it would be great however if you could get something up that quickly

It's ok, we all laugh-snort occasionally!
Check out some of my other stuff here.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#102 Old 7th Mar 2010 at 10:55 PM
Can't wait to see the previews Kiwi i know its going to be a great world (i also have your Niua Simoa and its awesome )

You can call me Tasia
My Writing Blog--> Lost In Reality
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#103 Old 8th Mar 2010 at 7:52 PM
Here are some screenshots:

Retired
retired moderator
#104 Old 9th Mar 2010 at 4:27 PM Last edited by kiwi_tea : 9th Mar 2010 at 4:38 PM.
Here's an ultra rough prototype. It'll take a LOT of work to get a gentle rise in the city that also allows us to have a coherent city centre, but I'll keep working at it. The grey lines are rough ideas where major roads *might* go. The red lines a just for continuation. The flat bit is going to be lifted up into hills, don't worry about that for now. Feedback?

I'm going to put a lot more work into the shape of the mountains, and I'll try to get some nice little bays in somewhere as well. You're only really seeing three quarters of the coast on this pic, I wanted to give us a LOT of room to play with the land, and also have a large buffer of non camera routable land on three sides.

EDIT: Also, how's this for the physical style of the hills? It's a *bit* cartoonish, but I like that, and it should take on a certain vibrant realism with painting and neighbourhood deco and flora.
Screenshots

CAW Wiki - A wiki for CAW users. Feel free to edit.

GON OUT, BACKSON, BISY BACKSON
Wiki Wizard
#105 Old 9th Mar 2010 at 5:03 PM
Wow wiki, that is brilliant, rough prototype or not it looks really good, i can definitely see the potential of how this is going to turn out, at the moment it is hard to give much feedback as it is not developed enough, at the moment i love it and i think the next update we should be able to give better feedback, right now the shape and planned roads looks perfect

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#106 Old 9th Mar 2010 at 5:17 PM
Your prototype looks already great. I really love the multi-leveling you did. As for the roads, it seems perfect.

I would have seen it just a tad bit different. The roads at the highest level (back) seems really dense and the sea-level roads are the contrary. I would have imagined that the higher you get the more sporadic/less dense the building get because of the terrain structure but that looks good like that too

Can't wait for next update !
Retired
retired moderator
#107 Old 9th Mar 2010 at 5:40 PM
Those red lines flow further back into the mountains and do get very dense. There may be room for a tiny 'village' around the coast from the town, at this rate. Or just some nice scenary. I'm having more trouble with the paint and trees profile. Just another prototype, not the real deal. Please rip into it. And if you can find better textures, that's cool too. I be putting cobblestones where the town and such will sit, probably, and obvious that's not the road texture we'll use in the end.

EDIT: Also, what the most appropriate set of flora, do you think?
Screenshots

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#108 Old 9th Mar 2010 at 5:47 PM
Hey,

Looks amazing I maybe would have used a darker kind of herb. This one remind me too much like some lawn grass. Do you use Martine's textures?

For the flora, I'll see if I can look further into it to answer more precisely.
Retired
retired moderator
#109 Old 9th Mar 2010 at 6:04 PM Last edited by kiwi_tea : 9th Mar 2010 at 6:44 PM.
Darker Martine grass. Threw some cobblestones down. Imagine the roads are brown.

Good?

EDIT: This is roughly the land we have to work with, btw, and it gives a good idea of the size of that prototype you're seeing there.
Screenshots

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#110 Old 9th Mar 2010 at 6:16 PM
Perfect I can't wait to see the port area when it's going to be finished!

Edit: are you planning on having a waterfall somewhere?
Wiki Wizard
#111 Old 9th Mar 2010 at 7:26 PM
Looks like good amount of land to me, in terms of flora i am not entirely sure yet, we have all taken to using pine trees i think, but i am not sure really how fitting that is :/

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#112 Old 9th Mar 2010 at 7:29 PM
I did some search and here is the flora you'll find in Mediterranean's landscape :

You have trees such as the olive, orange, lemon, palm, and citron; as well as fig, date, pomegranate, almond trees, sugarcane and cotton. The vegetation consists of dense growths of chestnut, cypress, and oak that occupy the lower slopes, and at higher elevations, there are extensive stands of pine and fir. So pine is good
Wiki Wizard
#113 Old 9th Mar 2010 at 8:38 PM
Ok so we need to avoid using palm trees, lana you should send a pm to all the builders in the group about not using palm trees as i think a lot of lots are using them currently and so they need changing

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#114 Old 9th Mar 2010 at 9:11 PM Last edited by lanawinst : 9th Mar 2010 at 10:18 PM.
Done Kiwi-tea, as soon as you'll know exactly what cobblestone you're going to use for the town areas, could you tell/show me so that we could make our floor used for the sidewalks match with it?

Edit: I've divided the list of the already done buildings into categories. It should make things easier for you, I hope.
Forum Resident
#115 Old 10th Mar 2010 at 12:20 PM
Wow, Kiwi, that's pretty amazing for a prototype! That port is already stunning. I haven't seen anything like it before.

Lana, thanks for looking up what kind of trees we can use. That's very helpful!
Retired
retired moderator
#116 Old 13th Mar 2010 at 10:59 AM
Small update with a few pics. The roads are all unconfirmed and they need a lot of smoothing, but something is rising up out of the clay.
Screenshots

Wiki Wizard
#117 Old 13th Mar 2010 at 11:43 AM
Oooh it looks so good wiki!! i love the layout of it, you really captured what we are going for very well ^.^

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#118 Old 13th Mar 2010 at 3:41 PM
It's awesome. I really dig the port area. It's going to look great!

I've just one question about the 64x64. Is it going to stay that way or are you planning to divide it?
Retired
retired moderator
#119 Old 13th Mar 2010 at 6:53 PM Last edited by kiwi_tea : 13th Mar 2010 at 7:54 PM.
At the moment the 64x64 lot is just an example. Getting the same lot sizes that you guys want is going to be EXTREMELY difficult without causing popping lots. Really, we should have waited until the world was made before starting to build, but I didn't really think about that. Worst comes to the worst, we'll just have to put some existing lots onto larger spaces and adapt them. Not too big a deal, right?

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#120 Old 13th Mar 2010 at 7:42 PM
We'll manage to make it fit, and in the worst case scenario we'll rebuild. The most important is to have a functioning map.

I probably already told you that but what would be great is that whenever you know some size lots for sure, tell us ASAP so that we could build without having to make changes.
Wiki Wizard
#121 Old 17th Mar 2010 at 8:58 PM
How is it going kiwi, have you been able to make any progress of it since saturday?

Retired
retired moderator
#122 Old 17th Mar 2010 at 9:26 PM
Sort of. I'm going CRAZY with this. I can't get any of the roads to stop disappearing under the ground because of the amount of hills involved. This is taking lots of tweaking and retweaking, and everytime I fix a bit I break three other bits. :/

Wiki Wizard
#123 Old 17th Mar 2010 at 10:14 PM
Ugh, that sounds rather hellish indeed! I hope you succeed with it though, you have made such a good start If needs be then we will have to minimise the amount of hills, also i meant to mention this earlier, but we need to make sure that we do not include too many trees in the NH because we don't want to slow the game down too much

Retired
retired moderator
#124 Old 18th Mar 2010 at 10:50 AM
I have got maybe half of the roads to stop disappearing into the ground... :/ But it'll become an issue again once I start adding lots. The roads are a bit buckled in places, but I think that's reasonably authentic for such a town.

Forum Resident
Original Poster
#125 Old 18th Mar 2010 at 1:55 PM
You already did such great start, and I realize how much of a real headache it must be. I'm sorry it's so hard on you. It could be indeed realistic to have roads like you said. These roads aren't usually new but rather old used ones.

Page 5 of 11