Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Mar 2022 at 8:16 PM
Hello I want to make my first CC deco item ..where do I begin ??
Hello How are you?
I hope all is well... I hope I'm posting in the right area ??

My question is very simple .... How do I make a CC from scratch that has heavy polys for ts2?

I want to make a ski cliff, gondola and possibly other items ...
I went to wings 3d and cgtrader to look at 3d models and possibly figure out a start. I looked at milkshape3d but was having a problem running it on win 10! So where do I begin, cause I really want to make some items for ts2 either as neighborhood deco or just deco that sits on a lot to add to the ambiance!
Advertisement
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#2 Old 3rd Mar 2022 at 8:29 PM
You'll find all the tutorials for object creations here. High poly items don't work very well in TS2 though. They tend to lag and crash the game as well as contribute to pink flashing and other graphical issues.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 3rd Mar 2022 at 8:34 PM
Which version of Milkshape did you try? I've got 1.8.5 and it's working fine with Windows 10, without any modifications (like compatibility modes, etc.)

You can get some issues with running the program if you go over the trial period or mess up the activation, though.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 6th Mar 2022 at 6:30 PM
Default oohhh u used another version .....ok i will try to toggle with that one then
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Which version of Milkshape did you try? I've got 1.8.5 and it's working fine with Windows 10, without any modifications (like compatibility modes, etc.)

You can get some issues with running the program if you go over the trial period or mess up the activation, though.

Alright I should look into this I will download that version then
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 6th Mar 2022 at 6:38 PM
what is the max amount of polys ??
Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
You'll find all the tutorials for object creations here. High poly items don't work very well in TS2 though. They tend to lag and crash the game and contribute to pink flashing and other graphical issues.

I was looking around at cc I have already from creators such as (sade paivas etc ), and it seems like ts2 treats hair cc and object cc differently ...
For example, a 3 story deco object with 30k + polys is a problem, but a hair with 30K plus polys is still usable ??

1) What should be a max poly count for, let's say, a cliff or gondola piece??
2) can I use 3d objs from cgttrader or wings 3d and lessen the poly significantly?

thank you all for your replies
Inventor
#6 Old 7th Mar 2022 at 9:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Ruciefur
Hello How are you?
I hope all is well... I hope I'm posting in the right area ??

My question is very simple .... How do I make a CC from scratch that has heavy polys for ts2?

I want to make a ski cliff, gondola and possibly other items ...
I went to wings 3d and cgtrader to look at 3d models and possibly figure out a start. I looked at milkshape3d but was having a problem running it on win 10! So where do I begin, cause I really want to make some items for ts2 either as neighborhood deco or just deco that sits on a lot to add to the ambiance!

Hello @Ruciefur
In SimPE, your settings should include having "Advanced Mode" to allow for higher polygon counts.
If your object should have a high polygon count, SimPE will not permit you to import it into the Geometric Data Contrainer (GMDC) unless the Advanced Mode has been ticked in your SimPE settings.
If you click on the headings Extra and Preferences,

Then on Settings and tick "Advanced Mode"

Then tick "OK" to exit, then restart SimPE, for your new settings to take affect.

High polygon counts can slow down playing on a lot; however general computer specs have increased dramatically since 2003-2008 when Sims2 was evolving so probably not as bad as it would have been back in the day.
Having stated that, there will be some players using older versions of Windows computers e.g. Vista, in order to play Sims2 so a high polygon count would definitely slow down their game.

Good luck with your project.
Screenshots
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#7 Old 7th Mar 2022 at 11:21 AM
@Ruciefur - a 30,000 poy hair isn't any better than a 30,000 poly object when it comes to the Sims 2. HOWEVER - if you're making a 3 story object that takes up more than 1 tile in game (which I'm sure a ski lift would do), then 30,000 polys isn't as bad, You also need to look at how many of those high poly objects you'd be likely to use on a lot. If you're going to use just one, that's not so bad. But I wouldn't recommend using 10 30,000 poly objects on one lot, I don't care how new and strong your computer is.

All that said:if you make a high poly object and it works fine in your game? No lag, no pink flashing, etc - and you want to share it? You'd want to be sure that it's very clear that the object is high poly so people can make their own decision whether to use it or not. Personally? I'd most likely pass on an object with 30,000 polys and my computer is a beast. (Then again, I'm a cc hoarder and have to have all.the.things so I tend to stick to objects that are similar to EA/Maxis polycount wise.)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 10th Mar 2022 at 12:02 AM
Default thanks for explaining this ....
Quote: Originally posted by mustluvcatz
@Ruciefur - a 30,000 poy hair isn't any better than a 30,000 poly object when it comes to the Sims 2. HOWEVER - if you're making a 3 story object that takes up more than 1 tile in game (which I'm sure a ski lift would do), then 30,000 polys isn't as bad, You also need to look at how many of those high poly objects you'd be likely to use on a lot. If you're going to use just one, that's not so bad. But I wouldn't recommend using 10 30,000 poly objects on one lot, I don't care how new and strong your computer is.

All that said:if you make a high poly object and it works fine in your game? No lag, no pink flashing, etc - and you want to share it? You'd want to be sure that it's very clear that the object is high poly so people can make their own decision whether to use it or not. Personally? I'd most likely pass on an object with 30,000 polys and my computer is a beast. (Then again, I'm a cc hoarder and have to have all.the.things so I tend to stick to objects that are similar to EA/Maxis polycount wise.)

thanks for clarify this ....what are true poly counts for maxis objects cause I have seen a crazy range of numbers
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#9 Old 10th Mar 2022 at 1:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Ruciefur
thanks for clarify this ....what are true poly counts for maxis objects cause I have seen a crazy range of numbers

I think the general rule of thumb is 800-1,200 polys per tile? (There are Maxis objects that are higher than that so that seond number is probably wrong.) Since most newer computers are strong enough to handle higher polycount items, I myself try to not keep objects over 2,500 to 3,000 polys per tile, keeping 2 things in mind: how many would I be likely to use on a lot and how many tiles does it take up. Also something to think about: are those polys worth it? I've seen a tiny lipstick tube that was over 1,500 polys - I can make something similar for around 100. Being a creator helps - if I see something I really, really want and the polycount is too high, I can edit it myself.