Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Apr 2021 at 4:46 AM
Cheshire's TS3 & TS4 Pet Autonomy Observations
*rubs hands together* Alright alright alright!

You may be wondering what the fuck I'm talking about! Well, a long time ago—some time last year I think, I don't really know time is an illusion—I said that I was going to do some type of experiment with the pets in the Sims 3 and the Sims 4 to see if the cute pixel animals have improved at all between generations. Honestly, whoever remembers me talking about this gets a medal because let's be real I'm the only one interested in this little project of mine.

Speaking of which, I really am doing these observative experiments for myself—I really want to see if the pets are as dumb as everyone says they are and if they've been improved upon in the newest generation—but this thread really is open to discussion. Comment your thoughts or whatever else if you'd like! I welcome it, in fact.

Anyways, I'll be starting with the Sims 3 first because that makes the most sense to me. I flipped a digital coin—thanks Google—to decide what species I would be observing first; heads for dogs, tails for cats. It landed on tails, so cats is what will be observed first! Last time I checked, there are 19 traits that can be used by cats, so I'll need to create 7 cats in all for this little project. Should be fun!

There will be mods used, but none alter the pets in anyway besides cosmetically i.e default eye replacements and new custom markings. Nothing should affect their autonomy in any way. Besides, I'll probably do a “absolutely no cc/mod” run-through at the very conclusion just for like, shits and giggles and also to see if anythin' is different.

So, next order of business; creating the cats and the experiment house that honestly is just a medium to large box.

Oh c'mon. There better be a point to all this stress I'm under.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 20th Apr 2021 at 4:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LittleCheshire
*rubs hands together* Alright alright alright!

Anyways, I'll be starting with the Sims 3 first because that makes the most sense to me. I flipped a digital coin—thanks Google—to decide what species I would be observing first; heads for dogs, tails for cats. It landed on tails, so cats is what will be observed first! Last time I checked, there are 19 traits that can be used by cats, so I'll need to create 7 cats in all for this little project. Should be fun!

So, next order of business; creating the cats and the experiment house that honestly is just a medium to large box.

Cats always win! :D

Welcome to Sim-Tropico!

More about Sim-Tropico:

Sim-Tropico_blog
Sim-Tropico_tumblr

Happy simming!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 23rd Apr 2021 at 6:46 PM
It has been done.

Not the experiment, mind you, just the creation process for the "Owner" sim and the cats. It took me so long to make the cats and build the observatory house that my eyes had begun to hurt from looking at my 1440p for so long. The Kiddos weren't kidding when they said Create-A-Style is a blessing and a curse. Anyways, if the images upload properly you should see what the little feline test subjects look like! If they are shown in order here is their information as listed, from left to right:
  • Venus, Female: Friendly, Proud, Quiet
  • Chronos, Male: Adventurous, Clueless, Hyper
  • Polaris, Male: Genius, Independent, Neat
  • Celestine, Female: Aggressive, Hunter, Lazy
  • Andromeda, Female: Destructive, Noisy, Skittish
  • Vega, Male: Piggy, Shy, Non-Destructive
  • Nashira, Female: Playful

These cats were created with the help of random generators and in-game random functions! When creating a cat, I first rolled gender, then name, then I created their appearance. After that, I randomized their traits, simply picking a different one if a cat that had been previously created already had the rolled trait. Now that that's been done, really the next step is just to watch them and see how they interact with each other and the small world around them.
Screenshots

Oh c'mon. There better be a point to all this stress I'm under.
Forum Resident
#4 Old 5th May 2021 at 6:46 PM
Celestine who winks so precious