Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Apr 2021 at 10:45 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3
Default Can't install sims3pack files on Mac
Hello! I'm fairly new to playing the Sims 3 (usually play Sims 4) and I'm trying to install custom content that's in sims3pack files. When I move those files into the downloads folder and open launcher, I can see those files under the downloads tab. When I select them and click "install," Origin minimizes, but nothing else happens. I've tried with multiple files, removed all of them and tried one at a time, and it still doesn't work. My understanding is that there's no way to extract package files from sims3pack files on Mac, correct? Any help would be appreciated for installing them!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 1st May 2021 at 12:30 AM
This is a longshot because it's not always the cause, but do you have a Mods folder with package based content and/or mods present? If so, try removing the entire thing with the intent of putting it back after getting your sims3pack content installed. This is a common TS3 for Mac thing, by the way, I've never heard of the Windows version of the game acting up like that.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 1st May 2021 at 3:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by igazor
This is a longshot because it's not always the cause, but do you have a Mods folder with package based content and/or mods present? If so, try removing the entire thing with the intent of putting it back after getting your sims3pack content installed. This is a common TS3 for Mac thing, by the way, I've never heard of the Windows version of the game acting up like that.

Thank you for the suggestion! I tried this, but I'm still having the same problem. If I try to double click on sims3pack files in finder, I get a pop-up in the launcher that says Sims 3 is not able to open this type of file. I'm running the 64 bit version, so I wonder if that could be causing issues? I might try downloading the regular version and see if that makes a difference.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 1st May 2021 at 3:47 AM Last edited by igazor : 1st May 2021 at 3:58 AM.
The next thing to try would be a clean TS3 user game folder, the one in Documents that is holding this content along with your game saves, etc.. Rename your current one or pull it out to the desktop, thus forcing the game to create a new entire game folder on the next launch and perhaps try again?

There's a crap ton (sorry, technical term) of issues with the new 64-bit Mac version, but this is not one of them. At least, not consistently. I didn't have any problems installing all my sims3pack content, that's both store content and CC, when I tested this version out, perhaps others have. But this was before I walked away in disgust over the in-game issues. Hopefully they may get fixed, some day.
In the Arena
retired moderator
#5 Old 3rd May 2021 at 7:17 PM
I'd try redownload the Sims3Pack file again, and maybe a 2nd one to test. Just to see if that particular Sims3Pack file is corrupted during that download instance.