Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th May 2021 at 5:37 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Questions About Changing Sims' Names
I know this has been covered in other places, but I've been getting conflicting information on how safe different methods of changing names are. From what I've read, changing a sim's first name in SimPE is generally unsafe, and it's recommended to use in-game tools like the Sim Blender or Lot Debugger. What's confusing me is how to approach last names. Some places say it's safe to change them with in-game tools by copying a first name to the last name, but The Sims Wiki advises against changing last names in-game because it may not update all references properly. I'd just like some clarification on this.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 7th May 2021 at 5:41 AM
It's fine to change last names in SimPE, and I've never heard there to be any problem changing them in-game, either. It's also pretty much fine to change first names in SimPE, the only thing is that if there's an error that occurs during that sim's interaction the error log will display their old name from before you changed it. I think that's pretty much the only difference.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 9th May 2021 at 12:26 AM
I think the reason their old name still shows up in the error log is because changing their first name in SimPE only changes the name in their catalog description, not their object data. I think those in-game tools change all of it, don't they? I guess I just wanted to know why the wiki said changing last names in-game could cause problems.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 9th May 2021 at 1:32 AM
Yes, the in-game tools use the name baby dialog, which changes everything.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 10th May 2021 at 12:31 AM
Last question: Could I just erase a last name by leaving it blank, like what all the stray pets have? Would that cause any issues, and would it matter if I use SimPE or in-game tools?