Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Apr 2021 at 8:45 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default SimPE Problems
I have several Families that do no show properly in SimPE. There is no Household name and I can not bring up their DNA and/or Family. In Hood mode the House shows their name, and in SimPE I can go to Family (sometimes) and it will not show the Family Name but will list all members. I can enter the family name, Committ, and Save but next time I load SimPE it still doesn't show the Family name and I still cant edit the DNA. What is the problem ?? Some members of the household will show the DNA, others don't. It can be Child, Teen or Adult.
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 25th Apr 2021 at 12:03 PM
Are you running in localmode? If so, try loading the file table.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 26th Apr 2021 at 3:49 AM
Default SimPE Problems
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Are you running in localmode? If so, try loading the file table.

Sorry, you lost me, what is localmode, and how do I load the file table ?????
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#4 Old 26th Apr 2021 at 9:43 AM
If you don't know what localmode is then it's probably not the problem, but you could try reloading the file table anyway.
Extra>Preferences
Click file table button on left
Click reload button top right
Forum Resident
#5 Old 27th Apr 2021 at 4:46 AM
Looks like my installation (version 0.75f) has gone a bit quirky. I used to be able to see and set Wants and Fears, including Lifetime Wants, but now that section is just stubbornly blank no matter what. Should I upgrade? Reinstall? Or just try resetting stuff?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#6 Old 27th Apr 2021 at 11:41 AM
@Sims2Maven Try resetting the layout- there's a little icon, or if that isn't there then click Extra>Preferences>Simpe Settings> Reset Layout.
Screenshots
Forum Resident
#7 Old 27th Apr 2021 at 2:51 PM
@Sims2Maven Try resetting the layout- there's a little icon, or if that isn't there then click Extra>Preferences>Simpe Settings> Reset Layout.

Did that, got this:

Object reference not set to an instance of an object. SimPE Version:
Default (0.75.1.31194).

Exception Stack:
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at SimPe.Wants.SWAFEditor.SetGroups(Int32 column) in C:\Users\frank\Documents\SimPE\SimPe Wants\SWAFEditor.cs:line 615
at SimPe.Wants.SWAFEditor.UpdateGUI(IFileWrapper wrp) in C:\Users\frank\Documents\SimPE\SimPe Wants\SWAFEditor.cs:line 505
at SimPe.Interfaces.Plugin.AbstractWrapper.RefreshUI()
at SimPe.Interfaces.Plugin.AbstractWrapper.LoadUI()
at SimPe.ResourceLoader.Present(IScenegraphFileIndexItem fii, IFileWrapper wrapper, Boolean overload)
at SimPe.ResourceLoader.AddResource(IScenegraphFileIndexItem fii, Boolean reload, Boolean overload)

Source:
pjse.Wants.plugin

Execution Stack:
at SimPe.Wants.SWAFEditor.SetGroups(Int32 column) in C:\Users\frank\Documents\SimPE\SimPe Wants\SWAFEditor.cs:line 615
at SimPe.Wants.SWAFEditor.UpdateGUI(IFileWrapper wrp) in C:\Users\frank\Documents\SimPE\SimPe Wants\SWAFEditor.cs:line 505
at SimPe.Interfaces.Plugin.AbstractWrapper.RefreshUI()
at SimPe.Interfaces.Plugin.AbstractWrapper.LoadUI()
at SimPe.ResourceLoader.Present(IScenegraphFileIndexItem fii, IFileWrapper wrapper, Boolean overload)
at SimPe.ResourceLoader.AddResource(IScenegraphFileIndexItem fii, Boolean reload, Boolean overload)

Windows Version:
Vista

.NET Version:

=========================================================

One thing I can tell offhand is that the path it is talking about has absobloodylutely nothing to do with the actual path on my machine. Just for starters, my name is not "frank".
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#8 Old 27th Apr 2021 at 3:07 PM
Well Frank, that's very odd ( ), easiest thing to try next is to reinstall, make sure all old files are removed first.
Forum Resident
#9 Old 27th Apr 2021 at 8:28 PM
Default SimPE not even reading correct path
I think that's part of the problem. I did a custom install rather than a default, I've forgotten why now. So as long as I have to reinstall, maybe I'll upgrade while I'm at it (don't have A&N or T&A, but Chris Hatch says there are some general improvements).
Forum Resident
#10 Old 28th Apr 2021 at 3:42 AM
(Sigh) So I tried version 75.69 (the "clean" version - could not get 75.68, both links point to 69 now). It did a beautiful job locating all the Sims2 folders, and properly shows the Wants & Fears, but...the "improved" interface has far too much black and is too hard to read. Is it possible to change the backgrounds to something lighter? (I don't see an option to do that, but ti's a very complicated program.)
Forum Resident
#11 Old 28th Apr 2021 at 4:55 AM Last edited by Sims2Maven : 28th Apr 2021 at 5:58 AM.
Fixed that problem (changed Theme, it's not an easy to locate option), got a worse one - 75.69 played holy heck with quite a few of my Townie Sims' names, arbitrarily changing them to something different, sometimes wildly inappropriate ("Jimmy Oak" for a female Sim formerly named Wilma Oates, for example).

I won't stand for that. Uninstalled 75.69, going to try a reinstall of vanilla 75f.

UPDATE: It's worse. Somehow the 75.69 installation contaminated the 75f files, and now they are misnamed too. WTELBEF???

UPDATE 2: Got that fixed with a totally clean reinstall, and fiddled around with the missing files from 73.44 (and a few other things) until everything got working again.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#12 Old 28th Apr 2021 at 10:46 AM
Well done, glad you fixed it! Must have been something in the prefs messed up... I think that Chris Hatch renumbered the .68 version to .69, so that there are two versions of that one now (for A&N or just EA).
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 2nd May 2021 at 3:42 AM
Default SimPE Problems
If you don't know what localmode is then it's probably not the problem, but you could try reloading the file table anyway.
Extra>Preferences
Click file table button on left
Click reload button top right

When I did the reload on file table, after some time it came up with an "Out of Memory Error" and I couldn't do anything more. I have an MSI computer16 GB of memory installed, but am running game on an external 4 GB drive if that has anything to do with it. The computer HD is 1 Terabyte SSD and have 6 GB video memory. Running Window 10 Pro.
Forum Resident
#14 Old 2nd May 2021 at 4:24 AM
How big is your neighborhood? As in how many Sims are in it?

I had a fairly large hood that SimPE couldn't read until I used a pared down version of SimPE which didn't load all the pieces for each EP. That allowed me to open the hood finally but did limit what I could use SimPE for. Luckily I was only wanting to look at and modify character/DNA data so I didn't need all the meshes and everything from each EP loaded.

All of my Conversions, Creations and Stories may be found here:
HobbesED's Conversions and Creations

My most recently shared items (with pictures) may also be found here:
HobbesED's Dreamwidth

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#15 Old 3rd May 2021 at 2:06 AM
Default SimPE Problems
Quote: Originally posted by HobbesED
How big is your neighborhood? As in how many Sims are in it?

I had a fairly large hood that SimPE couldn't read until I used a pared down version of SimPE which didn't load all the pieces for each EP. That allowed me to open the hood finally but did limit what I could use SimPE for. Luckily I was only wanting to look at and modify character/DNA data so I didn't need all the meshes and everything from each EP loaded.

Have the main hood and 4 sub hoods and total playable Sims is about 90. Thats all I want is Character and DNA. How do I edit SimPE ???
Mad Poster
#16 Old 3rd May 2021 at 8:47 AM
I have found that the version here https://modthesims.info/d/30839/ works best for me. (I use the UC and have fairly large hoods). Don't know why - it just is as it is.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#17 Old 4th May 2021 at 9:12 PM
Default SimPE Problems
Quote: Originally posted by SilverFox30
Have the main hood and 4 sub hoods and total playable Sims is about 90. Thats all I want is Character and DNA. How do I edit SimPE ???

I have a total of 8 Hoods in this particular game (Have it on 4 different computers), also 8 subhoods for a total playable Sims of little over 400. The Hood I am having trouble with has 90 playable Sims. Still have a lot of Sims I cannot access the DNA for. Have tried several different versions of SimPE with no luck. Need help !
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 17th Jul 2023 at 4:19 PM
So, my apologies for necroing this- but I'm having a similar problem to Sims2Maven
Every time I try to use the SWAF editor, it spits out the same 'object reference not set to instance of an object." It started after I unchecked all the boxes (Wants, Fears, Lifetime Want, and History,) and it threw out some complicated error I don't remember much of anything about. Now, if I try to check one of the boxes, it doesn't do anything at all, and it unchecks if change to someone else to cause the same error. They ended up reinstalling SimPE, but I'm scared because they also mention that doing that messed up things like townie names, and installations started messing with each other. I'm a complete dumbass, and I'm scared HOW DO I NOT MESS IT UP LIKE THEY DID???

Justice for Viola Monty!
Mad Poster
#19 Old 17th Jul 2023 at 10:31 PM
Just set the language of SimPE to whatever language your game is set to and it will show the correct names of all the sims. Chris Hatch just changed the default language of SimPE, that's all.
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 18th Jul 2023 at 5:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kestrellyn
Just set the language of SimPE to whatever language your game is set to and it will show the correct names of all the sims. Chris Hatch just changed the default language of SimPE, that's all.

While that is reassuring, I am still worried about the possibility of the SimPE installations messing with each other, as also described- I have all my SimPE files stuffed into one big folder, do I just trash it to uninstall it completely, so that nothing will stay to conflict with the reinstallation?

Justice for Viola Monty!
Mad Poster
#21 Old 18th Jul 2023 at 5:14 AM
How you uninstall SimPE is based on how you installed it in the first place.
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 18th Jul 2023 at 9:15 PM
How you uninstall SimPE is based on how you installed it in the first place.

I got it from here-
https://modthesims.info/d/30839/sim...sion-0-75f.html
I searched the control panel and registry editor, there doesn't seem to be any option to uninstall it anywhere, so I believe it's a no install option.

Justice for Viola Monty!
Mad Poster
#23 Old 18th Jul 2023 at 10:02 PM
Yes, those old versions didn't have an installer, so there's also no uninstaller, you just delete it when you don't want it anymore.
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 18th Jul 2023 at 11:20 PM
Yes, those old versions didn't have an installer, so there's also no uninstaller, you just delete it when you don't want it anymore.

I did it and it worked! Yayyyy

Justice for Viola Monty!