Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th May 2021 at 8:54 PM
Default Is there a way to opt out of the latest MTS redesign?
The latest MTS layout is very confusing to navigate, I prefer the old site more because it's straight to the point. Is it possible to go back to how the site used to look like?
Advertisement
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#2 Old 5th May 2021 at 9:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by beetuin
The latest MTS layout is very confusing to navigate, I prefer the old site more because it's straight to the point. Is it possible to go back to how the site used to look like?
Heya!

Just out of curiosity, what's confusing about the navigation?  previously you weren't exactly able to see if you were going to the right category (For example, finding tuning mods was a pain) whereas now there's a nice sidebar for it that collapses. Because if it's a particular design choice then we can always check it out on how to make that easier
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#3 Old 5th May 2021 at 9:24 PM Last edited by Tashiketh : 5th May 2021 at 9:36 PM.
On the old version you had to scroll down a bunch to get to the downloads and there was a lot of stuff hidden in the sidebar and a filter that hardly anybody used. With the new version everything is way up higher on the page and it's much more obvious what the download categories are, because it's in a collapsible list, rather than having to click through lots of pages just to drill down to the section you want.  So it actually saves time there.  Plus you can customise your view to multiple different formats.  Oh and the old view doesn't have Popular.  Also, don't forget dark mode.

I think you should give it a chance before "opting" out.  

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Test Subject
#4 Old 5th May 2021 at 9:58 PM
The search functionality on the new layout is completely broken. Clicking on "see more _____" clears all search terms and inputting the search term again brings you straight back to the first page which means you can only find whichever downloads appear on the first page. Even going through the downloads on an individual's profile doesn't work. If you try to click past the first page (either by clicking a number or clicking "next"), it brings you to the page with all downloads for all games.

Please make the new layout optional at least until all the bugs have been worked out.

Edit: I can provide screenshots of these issues if that would be helpful.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#5 Old 5th May 2021 at 10:14 PM
Search is already fixed! Thanks for the heads up.  (Note, since the pages are cached for 15 minutes, it can take a little bit for a refresh of the same tag / game combination to work)

Test Subject
#6 Old 5th May 2021 at 10:23 PM
Thanks for the quick response! I tested it with some new terms and it seems to be working on my end.
Test Subject
#7 Old 5th May 2021 at 10:33 PM
I'm still having the issue of navigating the downloads on a specific user's page. The first page seems to be using the old layout. Clicking on a page number or "next" brings me to the correct page of the user's downloads page using the new layout, but clicking a page number or "next" on the new download page takes me to that page number on the "all downloads" page for the whole site.

(I tested using a different user than I used earlier)
Forum Resident
#8 Old 5th May 2021 at 10:49 PM
I was surprised to see the new layout, but I'm already getting used to it.

Since I ended my latest patch hiatus recently, I especially love the new Updated Downloads section! But when I go to the next page, it defaults to "Date Published", so I can't see what's been updated prior to what's on the first page of that.

Also, if I select "Updated Date" from the drop-down menu from that point, it takes me back to the game's landing page.

Those are the issues I've had so far.

~*~ Star light, star bright, I am Starry Might! ~*~
Field Researcher
#9 Old 5th May 2021 at 10:51 PM
I find the layout really hard to follow/read/use, even if I adjust it. I really, really dislike it.
Instructor
#10 Old 5th May 2021 at 11:03 PM
Just a suggestion, the page count (see pic for bit I mean) would be better served at the bottom of the page rather than the top like it was on old version

e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#11 Old 5th May 2021 at 11:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by batsandbabydolls
I'm still having the issue of navigating the downloads on a specific user's page. The first page seems to be using the old layout.
For me, too- clicking on all downloads from a user's profile.

I love the new layout though- especially dark mode!

@kim-simpearls For me, when I scroll down the page numbers stay anchored. So you don't have to move the mouse far when going to next page from the bottom.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#12 Old 5th May 2021 at 11:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by batsandbabydolls
I'm still having the issue of navigating the downloads on a specific user's page. The first page seems to be using the old layout. Clicking on a page number or "next" brings me to the correct page of the user's downloads page using the new layout, but clicking a page number or "next" on the new download page takes me to that page number on the "all downloads" page for the whole site.

(I tested using a different user than I used earlier)
The user profile links are now updated to point to the correct page.  I haven't checked those links in a while, and haven't put in place the full redirect, hence why they where broken.  Thanks for the reminder to look at them again   

To confirm, searching the user directly on the new downloads page does result in correct usage.

Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#13 Old 5th May 2021 at 11:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Starry Might
I was surprised to see the new layout, but I'm already getting used to it.

Since I ended my latest patch hiatus recently, I especially love the new Updated Downloads section! But when I go to the next page, it defaults to "Date Published", so I can't see what's been updated prior to what's on the first page of that.

Also, if I select "Updated Date" from the drop-down menu from that point, it takes me back to the game's landing page.

Those are the issues I've had so far.
Yeah there was some wonkiness with the dropdown for sorting and pagination.  This should be fixed now!  Plus I've fixed the Updated Date not working and removed the dropdown entirely from Popular, since that page uses an entirely different sorting mechanism that isn't compatible with the normal sort.

Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#14 Old 5th May 2021 at 11:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kim-simpearls
Just a suggestion, the page count (see pic for bit I mean) would be better served at the bottom of the page rather than the top like it was on old version

Actually on the old version, it was both at the top *and* the bottom.  Having it sticky at the top means it's much more visible which page you are viewing.

Instructor
#15 Old 6th May 2021 at 1:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
@kim-simpearls For me, when I scroll down the page numbers stay anchored. So you don't have to move the mouse far when going to next page from the bottom.

So it does, I didn't notice that... doh!
Forum Resident
#16 Old 6th May 2021 at 2:46 AM Last edited by Starry Might : 6th May 2021 at 3:13 AM. Reason: Another issue found.
Quote: Originally posted by Tashiketh
Yeah there was some wonkiness with the dropdown for sorting and pagination.  This should be fixed now!  Plus I've fixed the Updated Date not working and removed the dropdown entirely from Popular, since that page uses an entirely different sorting mechanism that isn't compatible with the normal sort.

I was just trying them out after seeing this post and they're indeed working now. Thanks so much!

UPDATE: I've just run into another issue, though. When I click a category from the list, it defaults to "All", and when I click "Compatible" from the dropdown menu, it reloads back into "All."

Lab Assistant
#17 Old 6th May 2021 at 7:51 AM
I keep getting asked to log in when I’m already logged in. It’s driving me bonkers. It’s only happened since the new layout which is also driving me bonkers.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#18 Old 6th May 2021 at 9:31 AM
The user profile links are now updated to point to the correct page.
Yes it works for me now! I really love the new design.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#19 Old 6th May 2021 at 11:25 AM Last edited by Tashiketh : 6th May 2021 at 12:00 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Starry Might
I was just trying them out after seeing this post and they're indeed working now. Thanks so much!

UPDATE: I've just run into another issue, though. When I click a category from the list, it defaults to "All", and when I click "Compatible" from the dropdown menu, it reloads back into "All."
I'll look into the Compatible issue - it appears that it busted when I fixed another issue late last night.   Edit: Fixed now!

Also fixed the bug with the list not using the correct type (All, Compatible etc), and also with it not storing the correct sort (Updated, etc)

Test Subject
#20 Old 6th May 2021 at 6:09 PM
I can no longer sort by category, if I press something on the sidebar, it will show all objects from that category, not from my search.
Forum Resident
#21 Old 6th May 2021 at 6:36 PM
I'll look into the Compatible issue - it appears that it busted when I fixed another issue late last night.   Edit: Fixed now!

Also fixed the bug with the list not using the correct type (All, Compatible etc), and also with it not storing the correct sort (Updated, etc)

Thanks again!

Lab Assistant
#22 Old 7th May 2021 at 8:26 AM
I have gone back to the old appearance as I can’t solve the log in problem with the update.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#23 Old 7th May 2021 at 1:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by 8265jww
I have gone back to the old appearance as I can’t solve the log in problem with the update.
Logging in shouldn't be affected by the new page - they are all on the same site, use the same backend, etc.  There has to be something weird about your configuration that's causing this. :/

Lab Assistant
#24 Old 7th May 2021 at 7:34 PM Last edited by 8265jww : 8th May 2021 at 7:32 AM.
Logging in shouldn't be affected by the new page - they are all on the same site, use the same backend, etc.  There has to be something weird about your configuration that's causing this. :/

I’ve tried everything but the new page asks me to log in when I’m already logged in and the old page, without changing anything at all, doesn’t. I saved the bookmark of the old page and the new. Loaded the old page and then loaded the new page and immediately I got asked to log in. Loaded the old page again and it was fine. I’ve never changed any settings so it doesn’t make any sense to me.

Addition: tried again this morning. Loaded new designed page from google. Immediately asked to log in despite the fact that top of page showed clearly I am logged in. Tried deleting saved settings and then logged in again. Page showed I am logged in but it still asked me to log in. Actually obeyed and logged in despite the page saying I am logged in. Went to another web site and returned to Mod the sims afterward and it helpfully asked me to log in despite the fact the page said I am logged in.

Have now given up. Permanently using old page which I prefer anyhow.
Inventor
#25 Old 8th May 2021 at 9:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by 8265jww
I’ve tried everything but the new page asks me to log in when I’m already logged in and the old page, without changing anything at all, doesn’t. I saved the bookmark of the old page and the new. Loaded the old page and then loaded the new page and immediately I got asked to log in. Loaded the old page again and it was fine. I’ve never changed any settings so it doesn’t make any sense to me.

Addition: tried again this morning. Loaded new designed page from google. Immediately asked to log in despite the fact that top of page showed clearly I am logged in. Tried deleting saved settings and then logged in again. Page showed I am logged in but it still asked me to log in. Actually obeyed and logged in despite the page saying I am logged in. Went to another web site and returned to Mod the sims afterward and it helpfully asked me to log in despite the fact the page said I am logged in.

Have now given up. Permanently using old page which I prefer anyhow.

Hello 8265jww
Sorry to read you are having problems.
I save my frequently visited websites to Favorites and Mod The Sims has been listed for a number of years now. Although this website is being updated fairly regularly at the moment, it has not affected my ability to access my website link nor to log in. Even when I open a second page for this site (if I need to make a reference to it), the second page still recognizes I am logged in.

Can you be more specific about the 'new page' - is it the Welcome Screen? When did it actually ask you to log in again - on another page? If so, which one?
When you visit the web page, do you accept the cookies?

You can log in to the site at any page - not the first time I have went straight to downloads and realized I am not logged in.
As far as I know the MTS website does not log you out for staying on the same page for any length of time - for me I can be ages on Tutorials.
I hope this gets sorted for you.
Locked thread
Page 1 of 2