Replies: 4023 (Who?), Viewed: 127088 times.
Page 161 of 161
Scholar
#4001 Old 9th Oct 2020 at 12:02 AM
I think my cognitive abilities have gotten very poor lately. I can't focus and simple math I used to do quite easily are now confusing.

Sims are better than us.
Mad Poster
#4002 Old 10th Oct 2020 at 7:45 PM
Been dealing with my new crush: George Clooney...

...okay, for the majority of you guys and the most of you, someone like George Clooney is completely normal. I, on the other hand have scientists, engineers, entertainers who've worked together. George...really doesn't have much going on for him right now. In fact, he's heading into his silver fox phase of life. Granted, I don't mind silver fox men, but why him? BLARGH! This is going to bug me the rest of the day!

My mother found out her lineage includes Brazilian and that the maternal heritage includes sales and proprietary projects (in other word, marketing was common work for my grandmother and her mother before them) and my father found the lineage of our family name. First person was a guy named Edmund. Then, the Archbishop of Canterbury, Edward. And that was during this-and-that Brunch

I should be the only one to shine,
I am the Golden Queen of Shadow Galactica
(Translation of a line from image song Golden Queen Galaxia)
Scholar
#4003 Old 11th Oct 2020 at 5:39 AM
today is one of those days where I just want to buy a square mile of Nevada high desert, put a mobile home on it, and forget about the world.

Sims are better than us.
Lab Assistant
#4004 Old 11th Oct 2020 at 11:55 AM
Had a bit to much to drink last night so just curing off my hangover.
Mad Poster
#4005 Old 12th Oct 2020 at 3:12 AM
Continuing my tasteologist studies. I tasted a Watermelon flavored shave ice syrup. I not only take down the notes on flavors, but also color as aesthetics play a role psychologically.

The color was red with a pinkish tone
The flavor was more akin to a Watermelon Jolly Rancher.

Mean, mean stride
retired moderator
#4006 Old 12th Oct 2020 at 1:13 PM
@PANDAQUEEN Are you looking to get work as a taste tester? I used to work as a sensory analyst, we had 40-odd words to describe the flavour of toothpaste, and I could detect exactly how a defective batch of blackcurrant juice had been stored. I think for most jobs involving taste, genetics plays a large part- I can detect several chemicals that not everyone can, so I was able to detect smells and flavours to pass the requirement tests for the job. Apparently most people who can pass these tests are females under the age of 40- the team I worked with had around 40 young women, 3 women over 40 and only one man, who was in his 50s and very rare indeed. The sense of taste and smell is less sharp as you age. interesting field though!
https://www.news-medical.net/health...s-of-Taste.aspx

I will choose a path that's clear- I will choose free will
-RUSH- -RADIO- -MORE RADIO-
Simpeople and Me Archive- -11Dots Archive- My Sims World Archive
If you are looking for files from old websites the Internet Archive is your best friend.
Lab Assistant
#4007 Old 12th Oct 2020 at 11:50 PM
We just found one of our two rabbits dead in the enclosure and though I really need the sleep for tomorrow, I'm lying awake now, pondering thoughts about how to explain it to my 4 year old daughter tomorrow and support her in her grief. So I feel sad today. Sad and overwhelmed...
Mad Poster
#4008 Old 13th Oct 2020 at 2:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by simsample
@PANDAQUEEN Are you looking to get work as a taste tester? I used to work as a sensory analyst, we had 40-odd words to describe the flavour of toothpaste, and I could detect exactly how a defective batch of blackcurrant juice had been stored. I think for most jobs involving taste, genetics plays a large part- I can detect several chemicals that not everyone can, so I was able to detect smells and flavours to pass the requirement tests for the job. Apparently most people who can pass these tests are females under the age of 40- the team I worked with had around 40 young women, 3 women over 40 and only one man, who was in his 50s and very rare indeed. The sense of taste and smell is less sharp as you age. interesting field though!
https://www.news-medical.net/health...s-of-Taste.aspx

Maybe, because I can't stand the thought of clock punching in an office during the week.

I am turning 33 this year but my condition of heightened senses of taste and smell gives me an advantage.

I plan to get a library job at as well, once the pandemic ends. Given my tendency to be unable to ratchet down my voice unless directed, I've considered trying to keep to myself.

I probably would have to work 2-3 jobs to get out of poverty.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#4009 Old 13th Oct 2020 at 3:39 PM
Dear company X,

When I accept your offer to receive the 'occasional' newsletter, this does not grant you permission to booger up my inbox with daily junk mail in a attempt to get me to buy all the things.  Sometimes all a person wants is toilet bowl cleaner. This is yet another one of those stupid things that I've had to hunt for since the end of March. Dysentery is not part of COVID, but you wouldn't think that with all the toilet paper and apparently toilet bowl cleaner hoarding that has been going on.  Bleach can be used for better things ( bleach is what I have been using; the toilets in my house get cleaned often. They have not gone without being cleaned since March. That would be beyond disgusting...) other than cleaning a toilet.

To round things out, I also got some spices that I still can't find, a thing of window cleaner as I finally got through all the Method Glass and Surface cleaner I had and some enzyme cleaner for when the dogs decide to pee somewhere other than outside or to use in their crates.  Jingle's blankets and crate tends to get stinky as her coat doesn't dry out as fast as Chica's even after we have her groomed when she gets wet.  It is all part of being a Shih-Tzu I suppose.

All that to say, thanks to you [company X] for being a pest, I'm not longer subbed to your stupid newsletter which oddly enough, wasn't trying to sell me more of anything I bought.

Not impressed,

Disgruntled Gargoyle

Person, Woman, Man, Camera, TV
Lion, Rhino, Camel
Lab Assistant
#4010 Old 16th Oct 2020 at 10:09 PM
Argh, I managed to get this far without eating problems but they’ve come back. AGAIN. It’s honestly such a stupid illness that makes absolutely no sense. I can’t just will it away immediately, though, and treatment has never really worked for it. I’d venture to say it actually made things a lot worse. I have to keep an eye on what I eat and make sure I at least eat enough to sustain my body. My hair’s falling out again.

I had an episode of vasovagal syncope during class this morning which was a nightmare — no one saw because we all have our cameras off for class, but in a way that makes it worse because my instructors think I’m just not paying attention sometimes. I have to cram in as much participation as possible at the beginnings of classes to avoid being randomly called on, just in case of an episode. I’m working with DSS now but the process has been agonizingly slow and I’m going to have to do it again soon for next semester. If I had known my symptoms would be like this, I would’ve been in contact with DSS back in April.

At least I have my wig and my cat...
Mad Poster
#4011 Old 19th Oct 2020 at 8:23 PM
Probably a complex set of emotions.

My relationship on my Facebook says "It's complicated" but I haven't dated in years. If anything, my crushing on guys had turned into a dream land. Better change that.

I have yet to work on Starriors, a superheroine team series I started back in Q4 2000. I was only recently I began to revisit the concept. I considered Bang!'s "Shooting Star (RMX)" as the theme song. It was on the Dance Dance Revolution 4th Mix Soundtrack regarding Dance Dance Revolution 4th Mix games.

I might color my hair black as I would normally bleach my hair and color it crazy shades, but I recently conditioned my hair, which was brittle and falling out.

My hair is a currently a mix of brown and orange.

Lab Assistant
#4012 Old 20th Oct 2020 at 1:37 AM
I inadvertently became the leader of a game development team... I've never led anything before. I've always been a follower, so this will be a real test. I'm gonna give it all I have, but I'm very nervous. I'm breaking out of my inferiority complex/being a pushover, however, and I feel like that'll help a LOT with my leadership skills. As team leader, though, if ECGC happens when the time rolls around, I'm probably gonna have to be the one doing the presenting. I'm gonna have to get over my fear of public speaking.

Spending your whole life in the shadows of others (contentedly) and suddenly being in a leadership position is really scary tbh. I hadn't anticipated this when I joined the club... however, I'm very happy to have the opportunity because I'll be learning a LOT about every aspect of making a game.
Mad Poster
#4013 Old 20th Oct 2020 at 5:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKYA
I inadvertently became the leader of a game development team... I've never led anything before. I've always been a follower, so this will be a real test. I'm gonna give it all I have, but I'm very nervous. I'm breaking out of my inferiority complex/being a pushover, however, and I feel like that'll help a LOT with my leadership skills. As team leader, though, if ECGC happens when the time rolls around, I'm probably gonna have to be the one doing the presenting. I'm gonna have to get over my fear of public speaking.

Spending your whole life in the shadows of others (contentedly) and suddenly being in a leadership position is really scary tbh. I hadn't anticipated this when I joined the club... however, I'm very happy to have the opportunity because I'll be learning a LOT about every aspect of making a game.

Fears of speaking... depending on who you ask, they'll say "Imagine the audience in their underwear" or "Imagine the audience naked

I never really tried the latter, but the former I used as a coping mechanism which helped when I had braces (the metal chain put in some children's mouths') I was a year too young for invisalign (you had to be 13, I was 12. You wouldn't believe the fit I threw when they finally approved it for younger kids. My braces finally came off years ago, I felt cheated.)

However, as an author\illustrator, I would be beheld to pitching ideas to my editors. Meaning I would have to go up to a grease board and tell them what I feel would help move the story forward. Sometimes I hit on something 100%, sometimes some elements continue on, while others don't, or they reject it and ask me to dig deeper in my mind until the editors find something from my mind they like

Of course, I don't have a job as author\illustrator at any firm, I just have a firm understanding of the writing process, whether for books or video presentation.

Lab Assistant
#4014 Old 22nd Oct 2020 at 11:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PANDAQUEEN
Fears of speaking... depending on who you ask, they'll say "Imagine the audience in their underwear" or "Imagine the audience naked

I never really tried the latter, but the former I used as a coping mechanism which helped when I had braces (the metal chain put in some children's mouths') I was a year too young for invisalign (you had to be 13, I was 12. You wouldn't believe the fit I threw when they finally approved it for younger kids. My braces finally came off years ago, I felt cheated.)

However, as an author\illustrator, I would be beheld to pitching ideas to my editors. Meaning I would have to go up to a grease board and tell them what I feel would help move the story forward. Sometimes I hit on something 100%, sometimes some elements continue on, while others don't, or they reject it and ask me to dig deeper in my mind until the editors find something from my mind they like

Of course, I don't have a job as author\illustrator at any firm, I just have a firm understanding of the writing process, whether for books or video presentation.

The underwear trick seems to be a really good standard haha. It does help to a degree for me, or at least it used to. I haven't presented anything for an audience in a while. I was in the same boat with braces vs. Invisalign! I got my braces when I was 11 so Invisalign wasn't an option and I was heartbroken lmao. Luckily I got some cool colorful bands, I would get different colors for holidays and things I was interested in and such. But man back then I was devastated to have "train track teeth."

Since this game is for a club at my college, our process is pretty relaxed compared to the IRL process. As a club we had several people give pitches for game ideas and voted on which we liked best. I honestly wasn't expecting mine to be picked, but my teammates said they were drawn to my game from how well-thought-out the story was even from the beginning. We actually have a published author on my team as well, so that's exciting as someone also coming from a creative writing background.

Our biggest obstacle right now is communication as a team because there are a lot of us and we're all college students with outside obligations, but we're working on it lol.
Mad Poster
#4015 Old 23rd Oct 2020 at 4:33 PM
Got a package in the mail. 12 jars. Waiting for lids. It has a flat lid and a sealing. The lids I need are coin slot lids.

Scholar
#4016 Old 23rd Oct 2020 at 6:46 PM
Medical Care - Getting well by killing you!
My physician gave me a drug to lower my blood sugar. It made me gain 25 pounds. That's when I called it quits. Lost 6 pounds since then and I'm not even hungry. So much of medicine is doctors unintentionally killing you while getting good numbers and dismissing the problems they cause as your fault. I know how it works because I read Atkins' and Taube's and several other books.
I'm going to start Medicare soon. They have all these "advantage plans". Most sound pretty good, but if you really dig you find that the nearest doctor in their plan is some witch doctor 40 miles away. Nah. I'll pay the extra $60, get plan D and Medigap High deductible and go to whatever doctor I want and go to the local pharmacy.

Education Frustration
Watching my kid's math Zoom. First the school teaches the "Common Core" math e.g. 7 + 8 = (7-2) + (8+2) = 5 + 10 =15. But then they get to the next teacher who's all "What the heck are you doing?" because the teacher learned the "old" way of just memorizing the addition and multiplication tables. My daughter is all frustrated because her teacher is telling her she's doing it all wrong. I should have home-schooled her. History is even worse: Fictional stories and asking her how she "feels" about it. They don't teach reason logic anymore! They teach feels, the appeal to emotion fallacy.

My rant about feels vs reason An unashamed emotional rant!
How can we have public schools that teach feelings and not reason and say you support science? For example, I did my thesis on an anti-gravity device. I wanted to believe it worked, but every time I thought it did I thought "how can I prove I'm wrong?" It wasn't about what I wanted but making it work, I wanted to know the truth. After finding bad math and that the original paper had only reported what the author literally told me were the anomalies I lost faith in peer review, even though the journal was edited by my own Math Physics professor! (which is why I assumed the math had no errors.)
In the end, after zeroing out all errors (the earth's magnetic field and the steel in the building I was doing the experiment messed things up) I got the classical null result. I reported this and the response was emotional and very negative. I went from hero to goat in one paper! The result couldn't be published because "the research is funded" and I would get some other scientist's research defunded!

Sims are better than us.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#4017 Old 24th Oct 2020 at 12:09 AM
Meh! I was going to grumble about the people in my state and their lack of caring in regards to spreading the creeping crud.  It has been a week of almost a 1,000 new cases per day. While I could snarl about it ( yeah, yeah, I know it wouldn't change anything) after reading various news sites from other states, I suddenly don't feel so alone in my grumpiness.  Surrounding states are having the same problems: weddings, bars, house parties, schools not doing what needs to be done on a daily basis, rampant spread through nursing homes and long term care facilities, ect...

It is going to be a really, really long winter.  I've been thinking about learning how to make custom content for my game.  I guess now is as good of a time as any as I'm not going anywhere any time soon.

Person, Woman, Man, Camera, TV
Lion, Rhino, Camel
Mad Poster
#4018 Old 24th Oct 2020 at 1:36 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 24th Oct 2020 at 2:04 PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmett Brown
First the school teaches the "Common Core" math e.g. 7 + 8 = (7-2) + (8+2) = 5 + 10 =15. But then they get to the next teacher who's all "What the heck are you doing?"

I kind of get what they're trying to do, but it sounds like they're going around the problem by expanding it and kind of making it a bit more complicated, at least in some areas. I'm guessing things start getting complicated pretty fast once you have multiple numbers to add or subtract. Learning through repeation that the added together numbers go over 10 with so-and-so extras is a bit more useful when you add up a row of numbers, instead of having to think about the +2/-2 issue on top of that. Maybe it's personal preference (or the way I was taught), but it does sound like they're causing more confusion - at least for parents who were taught other methods, possibly for teachers, maybe for some kids?

I hope they're doing homework at school, because the way they keep changing teaching methods these days, it seems like they have to teach the parents before they can help out with homework

I don't know what the kids are doing in school around here these days (no idea if it's similar to Common Core), but after a sneek peek in one of my newhews' math books it didn't look too different from what we were doing at the same age, though not sure how they're taught how to solve it.

------

Anyway...

Been working some again lately. Aching everywhere and been quite tired (been out like a light in front of my computer , so really glad I've had a couple days or so to recharge between workdays).

Health is still meh, but seems a bit better than it was a couple or so months ago, so I think the treatment has been working. I actually manage a full workday (with recharge days in between) without being complete toast for a week straight, or feeling dizzy, having bad headaches, etc. while working (well, not so much I'm too bothered by it), so something has definitely changed.

Yesterday was a frustrating day, though. Windows decided to do a startup update on my laptop, half with a black screen, so I thought something was wrong (WHY??? *GRR*) and there were so many micro-frustrations at work I'd about had it when I came home.
Mad Poster
#4019 Old 24th Oct 2020 at 6:02 PM
Well, today's the party and it became a go-round of securing the soda, finishing up the cake decorating, filling the ice tray...and this party is for me.

Lab Assistant
#4020 Old 24th Oct 2020 at 11:09 PM
The rehabilitation facility isn’t taking proper care of my grandma. I went with my mom and sister to visit her outside her window today (I try to go as often as possible factoring in homework and classes) and not only is the staff slow and neglectful of her needs, the PA is prescribing a treatment for a severe issue that her own doctor said was ineffective, and won’t listen to her when she tells them that. My heart was broken when I saw her. She started crying and said “please help me” so many times, and “I don’t want to die in here.”

I was really relieved that her surgery went well, but this complication has the potential to kill her and the PA at the rehab facility is doing nothing about it. We’re all going to be looking at alternatives for her because this is too scary, especially for her. She’s in isolation for 2 weeks so we can only see her through her window, which has her feeling extremely lonely on top of the stress about her health.

I’m trying to focus on finding good help for her with the help of my family rather than the possibility of her dying, law of attraction and all that. I can’t help but be terrified though.
Mad Poster
#4021 Old Yesterday at 6:31 AM
I had my party. Received $50 in $1 as my gift. My stomach hurt from lo mein dinner.

Even if it's around 1:30AM, goddammit, I am going to have my cake and eat it too...for realsies!

Mad Poster
#4022 Old Yesterday at 9:28 AM
Hi, everyone, I just thought I would tell you that I am thinking of all of you, and that we are still sorting through problems and nonsense on this side.

My son is improving daily, but, due to the lockdown and the basic death of the entertainment industry in my country, has lost his job when his company closed down. He fortunately got a temporary job, even though it is at half of his former salary, and can contribute to his household again. In the meantime, we will keep chasing the sun instead of worrying in the dark.

@PANADAQUEEN - I am happy to hear you had a party, I hope you will have tons of parties in the future too

Wishing all of you the best!
Mad Poster
#4023 Old Today at 3:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justpetro
Hi, everyone, I just thought I would tell you that I am thinking of all of you, and that we are still sorting through problems and nonsense on this side.

My son is improving daily, but, due to the lockdown and the basic death of the entertainment industry in my country, has lost his job when his company closed down. He fortunately got a temporary job, even though it is at half of his former salary, and can contribute to his household again. In the meantime, we will keep chasing the sun instead of worrying in the dark.

@PANADAQUEEN - I am happy to hear you had a party, I hope you will have tons of parties in the future too

Wishing all of you the best!

I meant to ask... how is your son since the accident overall? Would you grade it as better than when you last reported it?

Mad Poster
#4024 Old Today at 8:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PANDAQUEEN
I meant to ask... how is your son since the accident overall? Would you grade it as better than when you last reported it?

Thank you for asking He is improving daily! The doc says he may not be as physically strong as he used to be, but he may come close to it.
Page 161 of 161