Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Jul 2021 at 5:00 PM
Default What is something about The Sims that took you forever to figure out?
I thought this might be a fun thread. What is something about the Sims--either playing or creating or just some random thing--that took you a long time to discover or figure out, maybe to your embarrassment? Maybe something easy or simple or that made the game much easier to play? No shame here--let's share!

I'll start with a couple of things.

First, it took me forever to realize that they were calling the babies "nooboo." Like when they first talk to the new baby or pick them up. Even after I saw the term on Sims forums, it just didn't sound like "nooboo" to me, and it took me a long time to connect the two.

The other thing is that I only just figured out the eyedropper and design tools in build/buy mode. I mostly just ignored those buttons until I saw Pleasant Sims using them in a video, and when I finally tried them, I had to facepalm because they really do make certain tasks so much easier.
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 30th Jul 2021 at 5:18 PM
I just learned about right clicking the face templates in CAS to mix them with the template of the current Sim you're making.

I had the game for like five years before I figured out how to start the tutorial. I didn't even even know there was a tutorial at first
Forum Resident
#3 Old 30th Jul 2021 at 5:22 PM
It took me a long time to realise that you could see a non-playable date's wants by clicking on their aspiration icon.

I didn't know about foundations properly until three years ago.

Didn't know what a userStartup cheat was until last year.

I didn't realise that the foods that require a higher level to cook, actually fulfill more of the hunger need; it clicked for me two years ago.

I only didn't use the Design Tool. I knew what the Eyedropper Tool did, because I accidentally clicked on it when I was much younger. The Design Tool I misinterpreted the icon as a key (like car keys), so I actively avoided it until two years ago.

When a game is predictable, it's boring.
That goes for any medium that isn't life.
That's why The Sims 2 is my favourite sims game.
It has elements of unpredictability and everything feels more involved.
The Sims 4 is another story altogether...
Mad Poster
#4 Old 30th Jul 2021 at 5:55 PM
For several weeks I was sending Sims on outings to Downtown lots, but I didn't know how top open Downtown to make changes or indeed to move Sims into the houses there. When I did finally work it out, I was able to help out another Simmer here, who had been playing for even longer without knowing how to open Downtown. I won't embarrass her by saying who it was.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#5 Old 30th Jul 2021 at 6:17 PM
I have always been a complete expert on Sims 2. This is because I always read Modthesims, so I get the best tips, and I delete the (many) posts that I make where I say something wrong. So there!

(But really I am learning new stuff about this game every day, there are waaay too many things I didn't realise until much later! I am very glad that I can always find someone who does know these things on MTS or any of the other sims forums.)
Mad Poster
#6 Old 30th Jul 2021 at 6:55 PM
For several years I wouldn't send my Sims on dates for fear that they would have bad dates and I would ruin their relationships. How wrong I was! When I finally did send them on a date, I could hardly believe how easy it was to play a date between two Sims who loved each other and how much they enjoyed it. I think a "Good" date is the worst I've ever played. For the most part my Sims have dream dates and they're ecstatically happy at the end.

I love playing these dates and seeing how happy I can make them. I'm sure it's the nearest I'll ever get to having a dream date myself.

My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
Alchemist
#7 Old 30th Jul 2021 at 7:19 PM
AndrewGloria's post about Downtown reminded me of how long it took me to realize I could toggle that subhood to day mode.
Link Ninja
#8 Old 31st Jul 2021 at 8:24 AM
BEHAVS for poseboxes. Like what in the what, I still might not know what they are but I can get them to work for a posebox.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Mad Poster
#9 Old 31st Jul 2021 at 9:15 AM
I am still figuring out the Sims 2 (Should have kept a journal of all the things I have figured out since 2005).

Cars are not a thing in my game - the mayor has one - but I normally turn garages into home businesses, work stations, teen garage band space or if there is a car, it is the mechanical wreck asking to be fixed.
I have, however, added garages to houses on foundations, many, many times.

And Sims never use those steps from the house into the garage - they use the garage door

Discovery of the week: a driveway is not needed for a car. And you can build a garage in the "wrong location" (cars teleport in).
Mad Poster
#10 Old 31st Jul 2021 at 12:15 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 1st Aug 2021 at 12:30 AM.
BHAVs - They've been a complete mystery to me for the longest time, and still are, but I can get them to work for poseboxes, and set them up for AL shifting and fixing deco slots, and maybe fandangle them into working for one or two other things (managed to replace some custom dolls for a doll house, and a few other things, but that was mainly guesswork ). If I'm in an experimental corner, I poke 'em with a stick and see what happens, but usually it takes a few (too many) tries

Mixing face templates in CAS - never knew that worked. Thought you could only do that in Bodyshop. Learned that when the tutorial was posted all around, maybe last year or something?

Making clothing and clothing morphs. I know how to do it now, but I (still) absolutely hate doing it from scratch (at least for child and up). Maybe because I skipped this entire step of the basic tutorials back when I learned meshing and jumped straight to accessories. Took me ages to get to the point of learning it properly, and I kinda struggled with some of the parts (morphs... don't get me started. Had one blow up on me, and was terrrified of even trying for maybe a couple years after that). Anyways, after poking and prodding infant meshes I kinda got over that fear (those meshes can be a nightmare to work with), and stuff from tutorials slowly got bonked into my head . I prefer making accessories and objects, though.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 31st Jul 2021 at 7:01 PM
I would say understanding and appreciating free will. Earlier in my Sims 2 days it was permanently off, because I hated Sims running off doing things I didn't like. But years of reading forum posts from people here on MTS helped me see some of the fun that can be had, and I learned to loosen my grip on the reigns. I'll still turn it off on occasion, but even when it's off I've learned to appreciate the curveballs the game throws at you in other ways. I see things going on that I would not have took notice of before. I have a friend that I talk to a lot, that does not and has never played Sims, and he's convinced that Sims 2 is a horror game full of witch craft, because I show him all the weirdly perfect stuff the game throws my way and it creeps him out xD He always makes me think of that scene in the new Ghostbusters movie, at the concert theatre where Paddy opens a door and says "Yep, room full of nightmares, not going in there". And I have to say, he does have a point. Sims has an uncanny ability to read your mind and give you perfect things to go with your story.

Then of course there's endless examples like the ones mentioned here. The one that comes to mind at the moment is terrain paint. It took me a stupid number of years to figure out how to remove terrain paint when placed. Before that I hated using it because only way to get rid of it was to paint over with another, so it was either only default grass, or no default grass. Was a real facepalm moment when I realized it's the same as floor or anything else, just hold down ctrl.

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Forum Resident
#12 Old 1st Aug 2021 at 12:15 AM
Embarrassed to admit...I only learned last week how to do basic recolours! I’ve been playing since I was 4!

You can call me Diddy (or Eve, if you want to go by my real name) :)
My Simblr is simping-simmer. Come and join me there for a chat!
You can also find me on the MTS or PBK Discord servers under the name 'Evenfall'.
Want to know the latest news in Carregffynon? Click here!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#13 Old 1st Aug 2021 at 12:25 AM
The Eyedropper and design tools. I also thought they were keys.

Right clicking face templates in CAS

CTRL F to make triangle carpets

CTRL to remove terrain paint

M to move slots

I had played a few years before I figured those out.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#14 Old 1st Aug 2021 at 2:47 AM
JustPretro:
Quote:
Discovery of the week: a driveway is not needed for a car
?

I've not learned that one yet.

Mine: learning about the roof angle tool. Now the houses look much better without all that overhang!

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#15 Old 1st Aug 2021 at 2:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by FranH
JustPretro:
?

I've not learned that one yet.

Mine: learning about the roof angle tool. Now the houses look much better without all that overhang!

Yes, but a driveway extension is.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Theorist
#16 Old 1st Aug 2021 at 1:22 PM
I think in the early days, to have a car, the minimum requirement was the driveway. If you wanted a garage, you could place the car on a driveway extension piece which had to be connected to the driveway - and you'd get a tooltip saying just that (must connect to a driveway or its extension). Or was it just the garage doors saying that?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#17 Old 1st Aug 2021 at 1:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by topp
I think in the early days, to have a car, the minimum requirement was the driveway. If you wanted a garage, you could place the car on a driveway extension piece which had to be connected to the driveway - and you'd get a tooltip saying just that (must connect to a driveway or its extension). Or was it just the garage doors saying that?

Maybe or maybe I just have move objects on because I use just an extension all the time on small lots with it turned sideways out the front.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#18 Old 1st Aug 2021 at 2:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
CTRL F to make triangle carpets
. . .
M to move slots
I still don't know those ones! How do they work?

My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
Mad Poster
#19 Old 1st Aug 2021 at 2:14 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 1st Aug 2021 at 5:35 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
I still don't know those ones! How do they work?

Ctrl+F for triangle (or quarter?) carpets was new to me, too (thought perhaps there was a way because I think I saw it used in a video not long ago, just didn't know how - I've been using fences to get half tiles, though...). I guess it makes sense, since Ctrl+F activates Quartertile (does it only work in M&G, maybe?). I'm guessing you'd need quartertile and Ctrl+F active for it to work (but I'm not sure).

If it works for halftile floors and is a cheat available for lower games too, then (yess!) no more messing around with fences! Gotta try that the next time I'm messing about with carpets...

M to move slots - just hover the (deco, usually) item over the slotted shelf/table/etc. and hit the M button to make it jump from slot to slot. You can if you're agile enough even rotate them with the , . keys (or whichever are the American ones?) to get them on an angle (if you have the 45 angle cheat enabled), but don't try to do this with the mouse because they'll often skip back to the starting slot again.
Mad Poster
#20 Old 1st Aug 2021 at 4:37 PM
Thanks simmer22! Well, I don't have M&G so I don't think Ctrl+F will work for me, but M should be useful. For diagonal joins between floor coverings, I put in a temporary fence (usually a flowerbed border that Sims can step over) lay the carpets or other floor covering, and then remove the flowerbed border. (Even if I forgot to remove it, my Sims could step over it.)

My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
Forum Resident
#21 Old 1st Aug 2021 at 4:41 PM
Probably because I played TS1 non-stop after it first arrived in 2000 and had made up so many of my own stories with it, when TS2 came out in 2004 I was much more interested in making my own characters, neighborhoods and stories that I never played the Maxis hoods. (I still haven't.) So it was probably 2015 before I found out that the TS2 hoods had scripted events. I didn't even know such things existed since I never played them.

All of my Conversions, Creations and Stories may be found here:
HobbesED's Conversions and Creations

My most recently shared items (with pictures) may also be found here:
HobbesED's Dreamwidth

Mad Poster
#22 Old 1st Aug 2021 at 5:44 PM
I knew certain things would happen in the preexisting families due to the popup messages, but I didn't really know they were scripted for quite some time (not sure when, but several years, probably). To this day I don't think I've fully played through any of them intentionally. Possibly by accident, though. Did wonder why the Curious brothers had an exceptionally high rate of abductions, and why I didn't see a single one (for quite some time, anyway) in any of my other neighborhoods... But yeah - scripted events... I've never been overly captured with the EAxis sims, so the scripted events didn't interest me too much even when I found out they were a thing.
Mad Poster
#23 Old 1st Aug 2021 at 5:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by topp

Yes - and I only found out it had changed this week Never too old - or too comfy with Sims - to learn.
Mad Poster
#24 Old 1st Aug 2021 at 6:44 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 1st Aug 2021 at 6:55 PM.
You need an extension piece for a garage (or two - you can make the driveway/garage longer if you want), but it's enough with the single driveway if you don't need a garage. I rarely bother with garages (they're a pain to build, especially if you also want foundations for the house, because you need build cheats for that to happen, and I ain't got that kind of building skills...).

I've found driveways and garages work a bit better if there's one line of floor on at least one but preferably both sides of the driveway or extension piece where the car is parked, so the sims have space to get shoo'd off it or to line up so they can get into the car. Otherwise they tend to get routing issues from time to time. This used to drive me nuts for a while, when sims would seem to not know whether they were going into or out of the car, and generally be a nuisance.
Forum Resident
#25 Old 8th Aug 2021 at 4:37 AM
Took me several game hours and quite a few "Your baby is starving! What kind of Sim parent are you?" messages before I discovered you had to click the *refrigerator*, not the baby, not the parent, not the crib in order to get that all-important "Feed bottle to..." message to show!
Page 1 of 2