Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Jan 2007 at 12:13 AM
Going too far?
I was reading the latest news about Seasons, and noticed that a number of different stores are offering their own versions of exclusive gifts if people pre-order the game through them.

I'm wondering if maybe this practice isn't going a little too far...

First, I never cared for this practice to begin with. Since I didn't pre-order NL through EA games, I missed out on the hot rod. Seems to be the same deal here. The only way to get all the gift items is to pre-order the game from at least 4 different outlets. Obviously that ain't gonna happen! Also, I would assume that for those who don't pre-order the game are going to be SOL for any of the items, period.

Second, the practice seems a little cut-throat to me. It's almost as if the various stores are attempting to bribe customers to order exclusively through them. Personally I had planned to purchase the game from my local merchant when it actually hit the shelves.

Third, I think it is a pretty safe bet to assume that Maxis/EA are the ones responsible for developing these "gift" items. Why can't they simply include these items with the game? Honestly I feel a little "put off" that I have to play along with these little marketing ploys.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 20th Jan 2007 at 12:21 AM
I tend to agree . . . :^\

So even if you go along with their little scheme you're only gonna get one out of the four "special" items . . . Bleh.

One's all right but . . . four? :^| Ah, well.
#3 Old 20th Jan 2007 at 12:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Reindeer911
Third, I think it is a pretty safe bet to assume that Maxis/EA are the ones responsible for developing these "gift" items. Why can't they simply include these items with the game? Honestly I feel a little "put off" that I have to play along with these little marketing ploys.

Isn't it obvious? It's a deal between both
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 20th Jan 2007 at 12:50 AM
Personally, I think EA should make all the pre-order objects available for download on the TS2 site after a certain amount of time has passed; say... six months or maybe a year after release?
Field Researcher
#5 Old 20th Jan 2007 at 9:07 AM
If you search for them, you can get them afterwords.

I have no issues doing this, as they are NEVER offered in Australia, and since I'm paying $40 for it, I should be getting that stuff.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 20th Jan 2007 at 9:51 AM
they are offered in Australia
i pre-ordered seasons and i'm getting a raincoat
Instructor
#7 Old 20th Jan 2007 at 10:05 AM
I ALWAYS go to my local shop. THe preorder stuff never looks brilliant anyway.

Yeah... alright, you can PM me to request a house I suppose... Might take a while though as forewarning...
#8 Old 20th Jan 2007 at 10:24 AM
Same here. I'm not too bothered with pre-order bonuses. A few weeks after it's released somebody is bound to upload a raincoat or whatever that's twice as good.

I've just done a search online for the shops that sell games, none even list seasons but they'll probably add it closer to the due date.
Field Researcher
#9 Old 20th Jan 2007 at 10:36 AM
I don't care. I can't preorder anyway... and the items are never great enough, in my opinion. I still think downloads are better.

It doesn't bother me at all.

It is only with the heart that one can see rightly;
what is essential is invisible to the eye.
Test Subject
#10 Old 20th Jan 2007 at 11:24 AM
They're never offered in Denmark - I just get the choice between a 5£ off price, or normal price. Grr...
#11 Old 20th Jan 2007 at 12:45 PM
Here (UK), we don't have any of the shops which has 'special pre-order items', and I wouldn't order through EA, after the whole Pets issue.

Eh, they aren't so good anyway. *shrugs*
#12 Old 20th Jan 2007 at 6:41 PM
Well, I agree with you on the 'scheming' part. It's just another gruesome marketing technique. But in the end, I don't really care. As some others have said, the gifts aren't that great anyway. I'll be able to download much better clothing through the sims 2 fansites soon enough anyway.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#13 Old 20th Jan 2007 at 10:14 PM

Second, the practice seems a little cut-throat to me. It's almost as if the various stores are attempting to bribe customers to order exclusively through them.

Um, yes... of course they are. They are trying to make money, they aren't doing this for any altruistic reason.

Again, yes- they are making money each time an order is placed. Obviously they want people to buy sooner rather than later, as they need to recoup the money that they have outlayed on developing this EP as soon as possible. The sooner they have that money, the sooner it starts earning them interest.... You can't all be surprised that a business wants to make money, surely?
Field Researcher
#14 Old 21st Jan 2007 at 3:30 AM
Where is Australia have you pre-ordered from?
Original Poster
#15 Old 21st Jan 2007 at 5:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Um, yes... of course they are. They are trying to make money, they aren't doing this for any altruistic reason.

Again, yes- they are making money each time an order is placed. Obviously they want people to buy sooner rather than later, as they need to recoup the money that they have outlayed on developing this EP as soon as possible. The sooner they have that money, the sooner it starts earning them interest.... You can't all be surprised that a business wants to make money, surely?

I'm not faulting these stores for being in business and wanting to make money... after all that's the goal of any business I'm just not so sure I care for the way they are going about it in this case. Amongst the reasons I listed above and others, I would prefer that EA/Maxis actually put their efforts into getting Seasons right the first time out (something they are notorious for) as opposed to playing marketing games. At any rate, as the consumer since I am the one with the cash, I feel that I have the right to buy the game when I'm ready and under my terms and don't appreciate having my arm twisted.
Test Subject
#16 Old 21st Jan 2007 at 5:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Lauren
Where is Australia have you pre-ordered from?

I always pre order from EB Games & apart from Pets I have always received the gift item. They aren't excactly the best items, but I think it's cool that you get an extra item with the game.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#17 Old 21st Jan 2007 at 2:40 PM
At any rate, as the consumer since I am the one with the cash, I feel that I have the right to buy the game when I'm ready and under my terms and don't appreciate having my arm twisted.

Hehe, well unfortunately you have 'your arm twisted' each time you turn on the TV or leave your house... even whilst you are browsing a magazine or reading your mail. Early purchase incentives aren't exactly new, and nor are they limited to EA. You can buy the game when you are good and ready!
#18 Old 23rd Jan 2007 at 12:54 AM
The only cool looking thing is the swing and you get that if you buy from Best Buy, not preorder just buy, and I normally go to Best Buy anyway so I'm fine. The bathing suit, fence, and coat look stupid but the swing looks cool!
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 23rd Jan 2007 at 9:06 AM
I agree that this is going too far... don't get me wrong, though. I don't mind the exclusive pre-order items at a shop, but there has to be a limit. If every shop had a different item and there would be 100 shops.... Than how many times would they expect you to buy that same game? 100 times? Forget it... I feel that when you 'pre-order' at a store you can get a free exclusive item, but have the option of paying a little more to include the others... or like already mentioned by someone else... give all pre order items free on thesims2.com after 6 or 7 months....

They should put LESS time in pre order items and more time in patching the game BEFORE it comes out.... (I'm still waiting for pets patch (not the bodyshop one))
Mad Poster
#20 Old 23rd Jan 2007 at 10:38 AM
I can't preorder, so this is to me pretty much like stuff from paysites. I doesn't bother me, they will end up being uploaded sooner or later. And even if they wouldn't there will be free custom stuff to replace those. As a matter of fact, I saw a couple of days ago a swing that resembled very well the one EA offers. So, no loss.
Instructor
#21 Old 23rd Jan 2007 at 7:42 PM
I never pre-order, but I go down to the Target store by our house and there's always a special gift for buying an ep/sp there. In fact, I have something for ffs that I need to download...

Ciao,
~M~
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 24th Jan 2007 at 8:00 PM
Yeah, it ticks me off. I think that they should just include them all in the game. Then, no one would feel like they are getting cheated out of anything. It sucked when I didn't pre-order nightlife, and I didn't get the hotrod. I think it's crappy.

Click HERE and you'll get a surprise!
#23 Old 24th Jan 2007 at 10:04 PM
Eh... it kind of sucks. I have seen some of the exclusives uploaded onto the exchange though. I don't know if it was accidental or not, but it seems a lot of items find them selves there.
#24 Old 25th Jan 2007 at 12:36 AM
Meh, it's standard practice in the gaming industry
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 25th Jan 2007 at 1:44 AM
Pfft....I don't bother pre-ordering. If I want the item...I find it other ways **coughchoughtheexchangecoughcough**. :D
Page 1 of 3