Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Theorist
#26 Old 17th Aug 2015 at 10:19 PM
My dreamhouse is what most people would consider cold, industrial, museum-like.

This is an actual house I saw being built in my town years ago and immediately fell in love with it. This style is very, very rare here.

I would like to someday be able to build something in a similar modern/contemporary style. Well, not literally since I don't know the first thing about home building, but I mean pay someone to do it for me.

Resident wet blanket.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#27 Old 18th Aug 2015 at 12:42 AM Last edited by PANDAQUEEN : 18th Aug 2015 at 12:52 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by GnatGoSplat

This is an actual house I saw being built in my town years ago and immediately fell in love with it. This style is very, very rare here.

I would like to someday be able to build something in a similar modern/contemporary style. Well, not literally since I don't know the first thing about home building, but I mean pay someone to do it for me.

Well, I would have that as a second choice, but my kids could see me and my husband doing rather "private" things. ...not to mention the neighborhood.

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)
Test Subject
#28 Old 18th Aug 2015 at 1:02 AM

This is basically my dream, but I'd want something apartment-sized in the city. I hate clutter so something with a really sleek design is perfect for me, and since I live alone I definitely don't need all that space!
Scholar
#29 Old 18th Aug 2015 at 1:25 AM
I've had so many dream houses since I was a child, almost all of which are extremely unrealistic. Example: Dracula's castle, a space shuttle converted in to a house, one of those awesome UFO shaped houses from the 1970s, etc.

More realistically, I'd love to live in this house (the first version, which I'm recreating for the TS4) or this beautiful old brick Victorian with the turret that reminds of a happier Addams Family house. I used to pass by it every day when I was a child. There used to be creeping ivy covering it which made me love it even more. It's a law office now, but some day I'll own it, even if it's just for a short time.

The secret ingredient is phone.
Growing up means watching my heroes turn human in front of me.
Thank you, O Mighty Doom Deity! - BL00DIEHELL
Theorist
#30 Old 18th Aug 2015 at 2:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PANDAQUEEN
Well, I would have that as a second choice, but my kids could see me and my husband doing rather "private" things. ...not to mention the neighborhood.

Yep, I thought of that, but I think I got it covered. I'd put mirror tint on all the windows so from outside it looks like a mirror, but just looks a little tinted from inside (like a lot of commercial buildings have), and electric blinds for night time.

Resident wet blanket.
Forum Resident
#31 Old 18th Aug 2015 at 3:41 PM
Gnat, your dream house looks like an art gallery.

I still want a castle/medieval theme with modern comforts. Maybe a steampunk house would make more sense. Still have Miss Trenton on the brain.

Avatar model: Shi Gaik Lan / Atroxia "Jade Orchid" Lion (Source: Dynasty Warriors 8 Empires).
The Four Stars (Table of Content)
Mekageddon, the Interactive Story. (Remake Discussion) (Dev Tumblr)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#32 Old 18th Aug 2015 at 11:21 PM
Yep, I thought of that, but I think I got it covered. I'd put mirror tint on all the windows so from outside it looks like a mirror, but just looks a little tinted from inside (like a lot of commercial buildings have), and electric blinds for night time.

I'll keep that in mind.

My dream house should at least keep baby no. 9 a secret to the octuplets...that is, until I announce I'm pregnant (I really don't like the whole "WE'RE pregnant" thing. He's not carrying the baby.)

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

Mad Poster
#33 Old 18th Aug 2015 at 11:49 PM
I want a house that keeps itself. I just finished watching Monarch of the Glen and thought the house was amazing, although I understand it's very cold. With it's breathtaking view, many antiques, history, and many many rooms, it struck me how magical a place it must be to wander about in. I would love to live there if I didn't need to employ a small army to keep it beautiful and groomed, or worse, do it myself!

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#34 Old 19th Aug 2015 at 10:13 AM
Dream house #3: Modern Japanese Style

At first glance, it looks like a normal house, but the toilet and tub\shower are separate, the foyer is where you leave your shoes and there's a small tatami room.

Scholar
#35 Old 19th Aug 2015 at 11:11 AM
If I can't get the house I mentioned, an apartment would be nice. Ceiling height still needs to be at least 2.5m. Don't really mind the style/ movement, anything pre 1960 would be nice. Oh since its in an apartment a lift would be nice because nobody likes taking a bun.ch of stuff up 3 or more flights of stairs.
Theorist
#36 Old 19th Aug 2015 at 6:14 PM
Once money is no longer an object, after I win the Powerball, I will build a partially underground house, something kind of like this, only much nicer:

If were talking already-built houses, it would have to be Frank Lloyd Wright's Millard House , in Pasadena. (Not the one in Chicago.)

Mad Poster
#37 Old 19th Aug 2015 at 6:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ScaryRob
Once money is no longer an object, after I win the Powerball, I will build a partially underground house, something kind of like this, only much nicer:

So, kind of a modern-day Hobbit hole? That could be fun!

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Scholar
#38 Old 19th Aug 2015 at 7:10 PM
@ScaryRob I love that house. I've googled it before just to go through all the images.

It's not just a feast for the eyes. I mean, it's all just so touchable. I wish google had something for touching stuff.
Mad Poster
#39 Old 19th Aug 2015 at 8:45 PM
Scaryrob: would like to see interior of the 1st one - fascinating. The second one -- attractive as art, but I personally would not be comfortable living there.
Mad Poster
#40 Old 19th Aug 2015 at 10:18 PM
Grammapat, I bet that Frank Lloyd Wright house is very beautiful and comfortable inside because the outside is similar to the Ennis House, built by FLW, that was used in filming Buffy The Vampire Slayer as the mansion that Angel used.

Theorist
#41 Old 19th Aug 2015 at 10:40 PM Last edited by ScaryRob : 20th Aug 2015 at 1:30 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by tsyokawe
@ScaryRob I love that house. I've googled it before just to go through all the images.

It's not just a feast for the eyes. I mean, it's all just so touchable. I wish google had something for touching stuff.

I have it for TS2, unfinished. Someone made a nice wall pattern for me (not shown in the pics below), but I need someone to make several custom windows. This version is without the add-on in the back, which was added a few years after the main house was built.

Quote: Originally posted by grammapat
Scaryrob: would like to see interior of the 1st one - fascinating. The second one -- attractive as art, but I personally would not be comfortable living there.

Sorry, no interior pics for the first one. In fact, Win7 was telling me the website was unsafe for some reason. Can't remember the last time I got that warning prior to today.

It's in a quiet neighborhood on a secluded sidestreet from what I understand, although I've never been there. If money were no object, why would you be uncomfortable living at the Millard?

Edit: Oh yeah, I love the Ennis too. Some billionaire just bought it a couple of years ago, for about $5 million. All of FLW's four concrete block houses in LA are fabulous. The Ennis, Millard and Storer have all been extensively restored in recent years, although the Ennis still needs a lot of work. Hopefully the new owner with the deep pockets will take care of that. The only one in decrepit condition is the Freeman. It's owned by USC, and they're having trouble finding the funding for it, or justifying spending the money or something. It's being looked after, but just barely, last I read.
Mad Poster
#42 Old 19th Aug 2015 at 11:05 PM
Yes, it is beautiful inside. But I personally am more comfy in cozy spaces (see MY fav)
Scholar
#43 Old 20th Aug 2015 at 6:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ScaryRob

Isn't that the house from the original House on Haunted Hill?

The secret ingredient is phone.
Growing up means watching my heroes turn human in front of me.
Thank you, O Mighty Doom Deity! - BL00DIEHELL
Theorist
#44 Old 20th Aug 2015 at 7:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by IAmDeath
Isn't that the house from the original House on Haunted Hill?

The Ennis is, not the Millard. Do a Google Image search for Ennis House and you will see many more pictures of it, in addition to the ones posted above by VerDe Terre. It's been used in many movies and other media.
For House on Haunted Hill, they only used a few exterior shots at the beginning of the movie and I think one at the end. All interior shots were just props and bear no resemblance to the real thing.

Page 2 of 2