Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Apr 2015 at 11:23 PM
Default Does word association distract you?
In life, even the most minute of items can evoke memories of your younger years and recent doings.

Recently, I went shopping to make foods I like. Since the microwave broke, I spent 17 months without my casserole, which I only make on days when I achieve successes.

As I already purchased and will be receiving a microwave, I bought a 2LB brick of cheese (That should last for a couple of casseroles).

While I cleaned up my disaster zone of a room (makes the Fukushima Ground Zero like less of a problem, as I have been known to trash rooms much worse than any rock star.) I couldn't help but think of the Wallace and Gromit film series.

The cheese was Cheddar, a variety originating in England, where the series took place.

I am now watching A Grand Day Out, which visually mentions Cheddar.

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 3rd Apr 2015 at 12:03 AM
Well, I'm supposed to be doing research for a writing project, but I'm hung up on the fact that one place I'm researching is named "Bong County". Does that count?
#3 Old 3rd Apr 2015 at 12:38 AM
Several random words. Like integrity (from a lyric in a Rush song) and the Spanish Inquisition (a sketch in Monty Python). Even simple stuff like meat, 'cause the guy on my avatar is named Meat.
Instructor
#4 Old 3rd Apr 2015 at 1:27 AM
MMmmmmmm, meat.
I'm awfully picky with my meats, but I promise everyone that I couldn't live without it.

My best friend is a vegan, and tbh I don't know how she lives without bacon at least. Or cheese, which she's said has been the hardest to give up.

I don't like the concept of cheese It's milk with bacteria. I cannot eat that. I don't care how healthy it is; cheese is revolting. Except on pizza or mac and cheese in which cheese is melted.

Speaking of that, I would love grilled cheese if US AMERICANS DIDN'T PUT THE YELLOWEST ORANGE FOOD COLORING IN DAMN AMERICAN CHEESE! That is the absolute worst kind of cheese. It has nothing on mozzarella. (Am I the only one who pronounces it "Motzer-rellah?")

Oh, and I love America.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 3rd Apr 2015 at 1:29 AM
My brain has a fly-paper function for words like that, so I'd say it happens all the time to me.

I also get strong associations to music. Such as whenever a certain ad plays on the TV, I almost instinctly check my phone because it's the same song I've got as a ringtone. I also start thinking about specific Sims projects I've done when hearing some songs, because when I did those projects I had a play list that ran over and over again. And here we're talking things I did some 2-4 years ago.

Oh, and you know when you hear a word or notice a word for the first time, and you suddenly start to hear it everywhere, even if you're absolutely sure no one has ever said the word out loud in close proximation to you? Well, that. All the time, and with the strangest words. It also only happens the first week or so of the new word. After that, no one uses it again (or perhaps I just don't notice that they do).
Test Subject
#6 Old 4th Apr 2015 at 1:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nymphetamine
Can we turn this into a game? Cause when you said cheese, I thought of pizza. Which immediately made me think of @pizza. Both are delish

Pizzaaaa yummy

Inventor
#7 Old 4th Apr 2015 at 2:14 PM
@Gremily_ nope, you're not. I pronounce it the same as you do.

and speaking of cheese, y'know what goes with cheese? tomatoes. and to me, tomatoes are the worst tasting things on the planet. along with rhubarb.

'You're a pretty pair of babies, playing with your live doll' Mrs Higgins, My fair Lady
Mad Poster
#8 Old 4th Apr 2015 at 3:33 PM
Rhubarb is yummy, but only when cooked right, and with lots of sugar in it, otherwise it's way too sour. Rhubarb and strawberry soup is awesome together with ice cream!

I'm with you on tomatoes, though. I can't deal with raw ones. They have to be cooked and preferably seasoned just right for my taste buds to accept them.
Inventor
#9 Old 4th Apr 2015 at 7:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Rhubarb is yummy, but only when cooked right, and with lots of sugar in it, otherwise it's way too sour. Rhubarb and strawberry soup is awesome together with ice cream!

I'm with you on tomatoes, though. I can't deal with raw ones. They have to be cooked and preferably seasoned just right for my taste buds to accept them.

we'll agree to disagree on the rhubarb. I once puked on my dad's boots (while he was wearing them), when I was little, cos my mum was cooking rhubarb, and my stomach disagreed with the smell. did the same thing with my midday meal, at my nan's, but over tomatoes. again, it was my mum's fault.

as for tomatoes, I don't like them any way, shape or form. except in ketchup. for me, it's the taste, the skin and the texture I don't like.

'You're a pretty pair of babies, playing with your live doll' Mrs Higgins, My fair Lady
Scholar
#10 Old 4th Apr 2015 at 10:02 PM
Ketchup's weird. Mayonnaise or fritessaus has always been my thing. I'll eat the tomato if its there in a salad or something, but not if its been cooked. Like tomato soup, honestly, WHY?! You know when you'r happily eating the stew(?) your mum made and then BAM! Meat, fatty meat. I do like meat though. Meat is nice. I could never be a vegetarian because chicken and beef mean too much to me.

I was revising business and I remembered my dreams of having an ice cream company. It will be a gazillion times better that Ben and Jerry's! Then I will take over the world by selling my incredible ice cream everywhere and somehow use mind control- muhahaha! You know how animal's fur can have patches of different colours, like a cow would? Every time I see this one horse I wave at it and call it a cow horse. I do that to sheep, dogs, animals in general. I think sixth form has messed me up...
Theorist
#11 Old 6th Apr 2015 at 5:23 AM
When sayings, expressions and sentences have a so called "double meaning" (the normal version and a more dirty, sexual underlaying version), I tend to just think of the more dirty version, even when people mostly mean the normal version.

Or is it me with my dirty mind is a joy forever?

The gorgeous Tina (TS3) and here loving family available for download here.
Theorist
#12 Old 6th Apr 2015 at 4:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Gremily_
Speaking of that, I would love grilled cheese if US AMERICANS DIDN'T PUT THE YELLOWEST ORANGE FOOD COLORING IN DAMN AMERICAN CHEESE! That is the absolute worst kind of cheese. It has nothing on mozzarella. (Am I the only one who pronounces it "Motzer-rellah?")

Very much disagree. I love American cheese, I find it to have the strongest and most appealing flavor, especially Velveeta. I love Velveeta. I have had all kinds of fancy and expensive cheeses, but my favorite is still Velveeta. It's a truly wondrous cheese. I love mozzarella too, but it's not nearly as strong of a flavor. Grilled cheese sandwich would not be nearly as tasty with mozarella alone. American cheese FTW!
So I associate cheese with all that is good and right in the world, because it's just the best stuff in existence. Just the thought of cheese makes me feel happy, while at the same time making me feel a little sad, for my arteries.

Resident wet blanket.
Field Researcher
#13 Old 6th Apr 2015 at 11:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Viktor86
When sayings, expressions and sentences have a so called "double meaning" (the normal version and a more dirty, sexual underlaying version), I tend to just think of the more dirty version, even when people mostly mean the normal version.

Or is it me with my dirty mind is a joy forever?

Haha, I am exactly the same!

Also, I have really bad word association issues! The most random words lead my thoughts to something completely different from what I was originally doing/thinking.

Like, hair, dog, Brian, tv, Frasier, romance, boyfriend, dinner, sleep... Wait, what was I doing again?!