16 people viewing
Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#27751 Old 5th Aug 2021 at 5:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
That's interesting. In my early game I had a "Mods not in Use" folder in my My Documents\EA Games\Sims 2 Folder. After a week or two I discovered that the mods were still loading. To stop them loading I had to take them right out of the Sims 2 folder. Evidently "Program Files" works differently.

Some mods/downloads can work from the "Docs/EAgames/Sims2 folder" if you have folders in there named other things. One suggested by Bloom at Insim a while back was Defaults, which supposedly worked fine (I haven't tried, though).

If they're in SavedSims they'll usually load, too (depends a bit what they are - Bodyshop and Homecrafter content will, though some files seem to not want to work in there). So you'll want to keep your mods away from the actual "The Sims 2" folder if you don't want them to load.

You can keep other folders in the EA Games folder, though (I currently have my game and 3 renamed full game folders in there, as part-backups, part-playable games if renamed). This works fine, and the individual The Sims 2 folders don't care about each other.
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#27752 Old 5th Aug 2021 at 12:04 PM
Hey, I have some pretty large scale plans for my main Sims 2 neighborhood, and was wondering, if I used OFB features on a lot, (set stuff for sale, set a resturaunt menu, etc) and sold it back to the community lot pool, would it retain it's unique features, and if not, is there any mod or something I can do in SimPE or something to set such properties on normal comm lots?
Mad Poster
#27753 Old 5th Aug 2021 at 12:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by parrot999
Hey, I have some pretty large scale plans for my main Sims 2 neighborhood, and was wondering, if I used OFB features on a lot, (set stuff for sale, set a resturaunt menu, etc) and sold it back to the community lot pool, would it retain it's unique features, and if not, is there any mod or something I can do in SimPE or something to set such properties on normal comm lots?
I think it will retain most (if not all) of them. I have a number of community lots with custom objects on them. I temporarily made the lots owned, set the properties I wanted on the custom objects, and sold the lots back to the community. The custom objects kept their settings. The only problem (and a minor one at that) was that the Sims who helped me by taking temporary ownership of the lots, lost a little money on the deal through depreciation. As I always try to do the right thing by my Sims, I recompensed them through FamilyFunds, and paid them a little extra to thank them for their help.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Forum Resident
#27754 Old 5th Aug 2021 at 12:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
I think it will retain most (if not all) of them. I have a number of community lots with custom objects on them. I temporarily made the lots owned, set the properties I wanted on the custom objects, and sold the lots back to the community. The custom objects kept their settings. The only problem (and a minor one at that) was that the Sims who helped me by taking temporary ownership of the lots, lost a little money on the deal through depreciation. As I always try to do the right thing by my Sims, I recompensed them through FamilyFunds, and paid them a little extra to thank them for their help.

Now you have me curious. What kind of custom objects? I'm always looking for more stuff to fill out community lots.
Mad Poster
#27755 Old 5th Aug 2021 at 12:51 PM
Mainly "adult" ones! Including Chris Hatch's bouquet from the late lamented Back Alley Sims. Also some things from Sexy Sims. I either turned autonomy off, or turned "in love" on. I don't want my Sims autonomously cheating on their loved ones when I'm not looking.

My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
Field Researcher
#27756 Old 5th Aug 2021 at 10:37 PM
Will I need CEP with the family friendly Angels or Nurses or do I not need that?

Prince Avalanche
Mad Poster
#27757 Old 5th Aug 2021 at 10:42 PM
^ Unless CH added the CEP files to that pack (I doubt it, but you never know - haven't checked, though), I'd think you still need it if you want recolors of EA items and CEPextras and such to work in your game.

It's easy to check - just see if the files you're supposed to install are in the correct places or not. There should be one file in the Download folder, so if that file isn't there, you'll pretty much know if you need to install it.
Field Researcher
#27758 Old 5th Aug 2021 at 10:43 PM
Thanks and I was curious about that

Prince Avalanche
Mad Poster
#27759 Old 5th Aug 2021 at 11:43 PM
Am I being stupid? Blind? Can anyone find any reason why these two units can't be turned into apartments?

(The random bit inbetween the two top floors is a roof - I've deleted the walls and redone them just to see if that made a difference... it didn't.)

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#27760 Old 5th Aug 2021 at 11:53 PM
Try replacing the ladders with EA stairs to test- I've seen people on here have problems with custom stairs before.
Mad Poster
#27761 Old 6th Aug 2021 at 12:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Bigsimsfan12
Am I being stupid? Blind? Can anyone find any reason why these two units can't be turned into apartments?

(The random bit inbetween the two top floors is a roof - I've deleted the walls and redone them just to see if that made a difference... it didn't.)

If the "random bit" has no access/the side walls are solid (not a doorway in there) - then that's not the problem. Although, you could add short "divide"/room edging fence on the floor midway between them just to be sure.
Other than that - it has to be the ladder/stairs. Apartments really only accept the spiral stairs (and maybe the full staircases - NOT the modular ones.).

Please ~ support my TS2 habit! Shop at my Etsy shops:
CatherinesJewelry ~ Artisan Jewelry
Catherine's MOUSE ~ Up/Recycled Jewelry
and Vintage Stuffeths
Scholar
#27762 Old 6th Aug 2021 at 1:12 PM
Anyone else had problems with the LotAdjusters beach lot option? Was following this guide to make a riverside lot, but ticking beach lot never seems to do anything. I mean it does technically become a beach since sims can be instructed to swim in the ground, where the water should be, but visually nothing changes. It's still one flat plain of grass. The guide says it should become sloped, sandy etc?

"It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
Truth will not fear scrutiny.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#27763 Old 6th Aug 2021 at 2:36 PM
Not sure about that tutorial, but if you are just trying to make a beach lot without the waves, just make a regular beach lot and delete the wave portal thingies.
Mad Poster
#27764 Old 6th Aug 2021 at 2:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Bubblebeam
...The guide says it should become sloped, sandy etc?

Did you move the lot? Don't just tick 'beach lot', you have to move the lot as well, with the LA.

I have iCad's tutoial saved, but I haven't used it yet. However, I have messed around with the LA quite a lot. LOL!

and Vintage Stuffeths
Scholar
#27765 Old 6th Aug 2021 at 9:02 PM
Do the clean University templates by meeteme2theriver get rid of the default dormies? I use the templates because the Ruben brothers faces are fixed etc but I do miss the default dormies that I used to see. Thanks!
Forum Resident
#27766 Old 6th Aug 2021 at 9:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Fyren5
Do the clean University templates by meeteme2theriver get rid of the default dormies? I use the templates because the Ruben brothers faces are fixed etc but I do miss the default dormies that I used to see. Thanks!

Yup, they do. But there's a way you can get around it.

First, you have to re-name the clean templates in a way you can remember and differentiate them (in-game and out), and install them like that. Then, when adding a uni, you first add a custom empty one, then the clean template. The empty one will get all the dormies from the filled SSU, and since dormies are shared, you can then add the clean SSU and delete the empty one. If you want the dormies from LFT or ALT you're gonna have to re-name their files to U001 so that the game thinks it's SSU and spawns the dormies from there.

This is actually the trick I used to make some subhoods to add the maxis townies from different hoods.
Scholar
#27767 Old 6th Aug 2021 at 10:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sugoisama
Yup, they do. But there's a way you can get around it.

First, you have to re-name the clean templates in a way you can remember and differentiate them (in-game and out), and install them like that. Then, when adding a uni, you first add a custom empty one, then the clean template. The empty one will get all the dormies from the filled SSU, and since dormies are shared, you can then add the clean SSU and delete the empty one. If you want the dormies from LFT or ALT you're gonna have to re-name their files to U001 so that the game thinks it's SSU and spawns the dormies from there.

This is actually the trick I used to make some subhoods to add the maxis townies from different hoods.

Thank you so much! I think I understood all of this so I shall try it later.
I've gotten everything else such as Pleasantview townies, original Vacation locals & Downtownies (except the Contessa/Count for some reason) - I'm just missing the original dormies & AL socialites. I'm adding the other townies from VV and ST individually as the PV ones get added into gameplay since people have kindly extracted them and shared them. The more the merrier! :D
Mad Poster
#27768 Old 6th Aug 2021 at 10:52 PM
So, if I replace all the Maxis university templates in Program Files with meetme2theriver's (Tarlia's) clean ones, I won't get any of the Maxis dormies? In that case, when I move Sims into a dorm, will the game generate random dormies? I've never met the Maxis dormies, so I might prefer generated ones. (They're liable to generate with townified CC clothing and binned CC hair, and therefore be more like my numerous CAS Sims.) Or are the Maxis ones especially worth getting to know? (I know and love the Veronaville townies, and the 'hood wouldn't be the same without them, but I won't miss Sims I've never met.)

(I've never played any of the Maxis unis yet, so the only dormies I know are Peni's ones in Land Grant University (LGU).)

(Hope this makes sense -- I'm sort of thinking aloud here!)

My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
Mad Poster
#27769 Old 6th Aug 2021 at 11:33 PM
Unless you have something to suppress it, dormies will start generating when you start playing. The game will lag hard while it does it, too! If you don't have enough dormies, community lots have more portal glitches, getting two copies of the same sims coming onto a community lot. YA is a separate category from Adult, even though they use the same meshes, so unless you've made a point of downloading and townifying YA clothes they'll generate with Maxis content.

Most sims will be interesting if you get to know them, but there aren't any fan favorite dormies that I'm aware of along the lines of Goopy or Meadow Thayer in Pleasantview. I am often annoyed by the way playables and dormies alike are dressed at LFT, in long sleeves and sweaters and so on completely unsuited to the climate. Remember you can always make your own dormies as long as you have an editing tool to turn playables into townies. I use the Simlogical teleporter for that.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#27770 Old 7th Aug 2021 at 12:27 AM Last edited by AndrewGloria : 7th Aug 2021 at 12:49 AM.
@Peni Griffin

A lot of my townified clothing is categorised both for Adult and YA. So I presume this might appear on generated dormies. There is oddly enough one generated dormie in my game already and he generated with CC lower body clothing (Noogie666's speedos, which I had turned into separates). His name is Fox Frost and I posted a picture of him here. At first I thought he was a townie, but on checking, he's actually a YA. (He's such an interesting character that I reckon he's sure to become playable some time.) I don't know why he generated at all, as I'm sure you equipped LGU with enough dormies. Most of yours are now living in dorms but I'm sure there are still two or three without a fixed abode. Fox actually generated in the main 'hood rather than in LGU itself, but I do have the "YAs in main 'hood" mod. I checked in SimPE and he is definitely a YA (and therefore a dormie). I am tempted to force the issue and move a couple of Baldrair Bluffs teens into an empty dorm, and thus force the game to generate more dormies just to see what I get. Your Dormitory 2 is still empty.

My long term plans for Veronaville are to add Academie Le Tour, but I'm likely to rename it "University of Veronaville" so Andrew feels nearer his mum. I'm trying to decide whether I want original Maxis or Tarlia's version, and, if the latter, whether I want the Maxis ALT dormies. Whatever I do I'm sure will be interesting. For a start Andrew and Julian will be going as a married couple, which I'm sure isn't vanilla!

I do make Sims in CAS and turn them into townies, and like you, I use Simlogical teleporters. Most of my 'hoods have dedicated "Changing Huts" where Sims can relax in a modicum of comfort while the necessary changes are made.

My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
Forum Resident
#27771 Old 7th Aug 2021 at 1:30 AM Last edited by parrot999 : 7th Aug 2021 at 1:49 AM.
Darn it! I tested my question, and no, OFB properties like resturaunt menus and things set for sale do not persist when returned to the community lot pool... Someone needs to mod this in if it hasn't already been... I personally can't have every store I want to have such properties require unique employees. I'll run out of sims.
Scholar
#27772 Old 7th Aug 2021 at 6:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CatherineTCJD
Did you move the lot? Don't just tick 'beach lot', you have to move the lot as well, with the LA.

I have iCad's tutoial saved, but I haven't used it yet. However, I have messed around with the LA quite a lot. LOL!

Think I have a bigger problem with the LA than I realised. Thinking about it now, the remove road feature never works either, nor does update hood terrain. The only thing that does clearly work is moving lots around. Not sure what to try at this point. I've already checked its permissions which are on full control (special permissions is the only thing not ticked, but its greyed out even for system and admin) and I tried deleting its registry keys too, those I could find anyway, to attempt to 'refresh' it, since I reinstalled the game a few months back and changed install path. Nothing seems to get those features working.

"It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
Truth will not fear scrutiny.
Mad Poster
#27773 Old 7th Aug 2021 at 2:37 PM
...and I tried deleting its registry keys too, those I could find anyway, to attempt to 'refresh' it, since I reinstalled the game a few months back and changed install path. Nothing seems to get those features working.

Oh my! That's way more than I know enough about, to help with!
I can work a program well enough; but, the nuts and bolts of program/registry-monkeying are way beyond my pay-grade. LOL!
Good luck! :fingers crossed:

and Vintage Stuffeths
Alchemist
#27774 Old 7th Aug 2021 at 3:47 PM Last edited by Sunrader : 7th Aug 2021 at 4:11 PM.
Think I have a bigger problem with the LA than I realised. Thinking about it now, the remove road feature never works either, nor does update hood terrain. The only thing that does clearly work is moving lots around.

Can you also shrink and enlarge lots? The remove road does work and so does the update terrain. Perhaps they just don't work as you expect them to?

Quote: Originally posted by Fyren5
Thank you so much! I think I understood all of this so I shall try it later.
I've gotten everything else such as Pleasantview townies, original Vacation locals & Downtownies (except the Contessa/Count for some reason) - I'm just missing the original dormies & AL socialites. I'm adding the other townies from VV and ST individually as the PV ones get added into gameplay since people have kindly extracted them and shared them. The more the merrier! :D

I'm not sure I'm following exactly what you want, but you can add VV and ST townies in a similar trick to the uni sims. I did this when I put the Verona townies back into MeetMe's Verona. I described how I did it here. http://sunradersims.com/2020/07/mee...a-with-townies/ I have another trick I use for my own game to prevent townie names being randomized. I put them all into families before deleting the subhood. Then turn them back into townies afterwards. For my own use, I just put them all in one giant family (I use the uintProp maxTotalSims lines to make large households) but you could put them all in families of 8 if you wanted.
Scholar
#27775 Old 7th Aug 2021 at 5:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sunrader
I'm not sure I'm following exactly what you want, but you can add VV and ST townies in a similar trick to the uni sims. I did this when I put the Verona townies back into MeetMe's Verona. I described how I did it here. http://sunradersims.com/2020/07/mee...a-with-townies/ I have another trick I use for my own game to prevent townie names being randomized. I put them all into families before deleting the subhood. Then turn them back into townies afterwards. For my own use, I just put them all in one giant family (I use the uintProp maxTotalSims lines to make large households) but you could put them all in families of 8 if you wanted.

The VV and ST townies I'm adding individually when my townies get moved in or adopted. Kaiya over on Tumblr has extracted them and placed them for download so I can grab them whenever I like. I hope I made more sense now?
Page 1111 of 1339