Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#27826 Old 11th Aug 2021 at 11:24 PM
@AndrewGloria Have you played this teen for a morning before? I wonder whether the game is pushing her to leave the lot as it's time for her to deliver the newspaper?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#27827 Old 12th Aug 2021 at 1:41 AM
River and Eve had already spent one day (Tuesday) at the school, and it went OK. I posted pictures of it here. Eve increased her grade from C to C+ but Miss Leitch didn't want to press them too hard on their first day. They clearly enjoyed school because, when it ended at 6 p.m., instead of going home, Eve and River stayed on till nearly midnight playing chess together. (That's when they became friends.) But one possible/probable difference is that school may have started later on Tuesday. I can't remember, but I think it probably started at half past ten or later.

This morning (Wednesday) we started it just after nine. Eve had already called and left the morning paper -- I think that was between 7 and 8. In fact Miss Leitch went out and greeted her (with a French-style kiss on each cheek). She also gave Eve a ยง5 tip, When Eve left she did the crossword before starting school with the bell, so I hoped that would be enough time for Eve to finish her paper round. Maybe we should start school a lot later, at least as long as Eve is attending.

Since I've never had a teen run away before, may I ask what normally happens. I think I've read that you should report it to the police. Should we do that. And any idea of what we might do to get her back. Could I summon her back with a teleporter?

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
#27828 Old 12th Aug 2021 at 2:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CASnarl
Is it possible to just backup the entire The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection folder within Program Files(x86)>Origin Games? I'm gonna give this separates patch another go 'cause I'm stubborn and I want it. Or would I really only need to backup the exe?

Just the exe should be fine. Good luck!
Mad Poster
#27829 Old 12th Aug 2021 at 3:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Tleilaxu3
A while back, someone said you can type the letters 'app' before the 'box' in the box.net downloads page ?
Am trying to download this default :

https://le-plat-du-jour.livejournal.com/14909.html

https://www.box.net/s/95p7s7e6rx

The page download isn't working, a small window pops up that says the DL is in progress, but it never downloads.

Tia.

Change "www" to "app"

https://www.box.net/s/95p7s7e6rx --> https://app.box.net/s/95p7s7e6rx
(This fixed link should work fine, but you can fix links like this from now on )
Instructor
#27830 Old 12th Aug 2021 at 5:08 AM
Here's a random question.
Whenever the game crashes, at what point do you decide it's not worth turning it back on?

It's 11pm so like on one hand I feel like ah I should just go to bed. But I have one day left of the Goth's rotation so I'm like but I wanna finish that. In any event, I'm loading the game back up now.
Mad Poster
#27831 Old 12th Aug 2021 at 5:40 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 12th Aug 2021 at 4:11 PM.
^ Usually it's either what time of day/night it is, what I've got left to do ingame (if I'm doing something for a story or testing CC), how long the game takes to load, or whether I've got other things to do (out of game) I should be doing that the 3 other may or may not affect.

My brain usually goes: "Why are you crashing(causing problems, and I need to figure this out ASAP!"

Ended up sitting past 10 am (!) to poke at some files this morning (no crashing, though)
Mad Poster
#27832 Old 12th Aug 2021 at 8:46 AM
Whenever the game crashes, at what point do you decide it's not worth turning it back on?

It's 11pm so like on one hand I feel like ah I should just go to bed. But I have one day left of the Goth's rotation so I'm like but I wanna finish that. In any event, I'm loading the game back up now.

Brain - go to bed.
Me - let me find out why the game has crashed, sort it out and - play the last day of the rotation as well. Sigh.
(This is great news for that idiot, Insomnia, of course - he will now stick around for a week).
Theorist
#27833 Old 12th Aug 2021 at 9:16 AM Last edited by topp : 12th Aug 2021 at 9:26 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
maybe the game is not understanding what you are trying to do here and is confused
Wouldn't the game simply push the "Leave" interaction on them, then? Or crash or error out, or make a new NPC to deliver paper? Pushing the running away scenario to an existing NPC just for them to leave and do their NPC duty seems overly dramatic and deliberately added code.

Besides, it's not that it takes several hours for the papergirl to do her job - she's only scheduled to arrive to a lot at for example 7 AM and once she's off the lot, it's only the player's imagination that the rest of the neighborhood is only just now getting their paper.

@AndrewGloria report her missing on the phone. There's a big chance then that she'll be returned by the police the next day. If you don't report (or if the chance fails), normal teens return by themselves a day before their birthday. Not sure where the school mod students are supposed to return.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#27834 Old 12th Aug 2021 at 9:53 AM
@Andrewgloria It doesn't sound like it was the newspaper routine doing anything then, I would do as Topp says and report her missing, and see what happens. I know you always keep backups so you can go back if anything bad happens!
Mad Poster
#27835 Old 12th Aug 2021 at 3:00 PM

Pre-SSD and CC clearout, if it crashed past 10.30 pm, that was it for the night because it took an hour and a half to load. Now it takes maybe 15 mins, so unless I was already thinking 'I'll stop when they all go to bed', I'll reload just to see if it happens again and then either keep playing until I really do want to go to sleep or put off troubleshooting.
Scholar
#27836 Old 12th Aug 2021 at 7:51 PM
Is it possible to make Mystery Sim memories yourself for story purposes? Memories such as Got Married to Mystery Sim etc. In my case, it'd be a way to show a Sim having lost their memory of their spouse who is still living, whilst that Sim them self remembers the other with the correct memories (gee I word things weirdly huh?). This may cause SimPE to get mad but ehh, it's part of a storyline I have but not entirely sure how to make it. I could just erase that Sims memories but that won't be as interesting lol.
Forum Resident
#27837 Old 12th Aug 2021 at 8:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Fyren5
Is it possible to make Mystery Sim memories yourself for story purposes? Memories such as Got Married to Mystery Sim etc. In my case, it'd be a way to show a Sim having lost their memory of their spouse who is still living, whilst that Sim them self remembers the other with the correct memories (gee I word things weirdly huh?). This may cause SimPE to get mad but ehh, it's part of a storyline I have but not entirely sure how to make it. I could just erase that Sims memories but that won't be as interesting lol.

I think so, I might have seen such memories in some custom hood before too. Maybe the memory manipulator also allows Mystery Sim to be the sim in the memory, but not sure about that
Theorist
#27838 Old 12th Aug 2021 at 11:05 PM
Anything and anyone can be set as the object of a memory. For example, Daniel Pleasant could have met Mary-Sue, or you can edit the memory and have it so that Daniel actually met Grim Reaper, the Electro-Dance Sphere or a shrub. However, HoodChecker will sometimes report memories not having standard objects, and if you use HC to fix any found problems, you might have to redo the memories.
Instructor
#27839 Old 12th Aug 2021 at 11:25 PM
Is lack of 4gb patch a likely cause for why I can only play about 3-4 hours before the game crashes?
I never thought I needed it so I never got it but as I have minimal mods & cc, and no other issues, the game just sort of gives up after a couple hours, I'm wondering if maybe I do need it. I figured the crashing was just due to it being an old game and just dealt with it this whole time but I've been questioning lately if it's probably not a thing that I have to just deal with.
Alchemist
#27840 Old 12th Aug 2021 at 11:57 PM
...it's part of a storyline I have but not entirely sure how to make it. I could just erase that Sims memories but that won't be as interesting lol.

The way that seems easiest to me is copy a memory that is close from another sim, then open a new sim and paste. This populates the field properly, and I can just quickly modify whatever I want to be different from the drop down.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#27841 Old 13th Aug 2021 at 12:06 AM
Thanks simsample, topp and joandsarah77! Miss Leitch 'phoned the police and reported Eve missing. For their part the police say they'll do their best but there are no guarantees. So for the moment we're hoping that the police bring her back tomorrow.

Normally when you play a Simlogical school, you start the school session by using the School Bell. This summons all the enrolled pupils to the school; they gather near the School Bell, and their icons appear down the left hand side of the screen as if they were living in the house. At the end of the school day, if it's a day school, you use the School Bell to end school for the day. When you do that, the icons down the side of the screen disappear and the pupils become uncontrolled. They can leave the lot or hang around for a while depending on their mood. Now at the moment I have three icons down the left of the screen:
1. Miss Erin Leitch -- she's always there -- it's her house and she lives in it.
2. River Jenkins -- playable pupil (though originally a townie) -- he's there (and controllable) as long as the school is in session.
3. Eve Marsden -- NPC pupil (Papergirl) -- She should be here, but she's run away. Her icon is disabled (like a baby's) because she's run away.
I'm afraid that, if we End School for the day, Eve's icon will disappear, which I think would make it much less likely that the police will bring her back tomorrow. So to keep the school looking to the game more like a "normal" family, I'll make it a boarding school for one night only, and keep River in the school overnight. All told, I think it best to put a temporary bed in for River to sleep in rather than for Miss Leitch to ask him to share her double bed!

So we'll keep River in school overnight, and see if the police bring Eve back in the morning. (It will also be interesting to see who if anybody, delivers the morning paper.) If she doesn't come back, we'll have to see what do next. Possibly expel Eve for unauthorised absence? Send her to university with River and Alan? Summon her with a teleporter?

My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
Scholar
#27842 Old 13th Aug 2021 at 12:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sunrader
The way that seems easiest to me is copy a memory that is close from another sim, then open a new sim and paste. This populates the field properly, and I can just quickly modify whatever I want to be different from the drop down.

Now why did I not think of that! Newly created Sims come with these memories as default, right? Asking because this is for a custom hood I plan to make.

Thank you! :p
Mad Poster
#27843 Old 13th Aug 2021 at 12:46 AM
Is lack of 4gb patch a likely cause for why I can only play about 3-4 hours before the game crashes?
I never thought I needed it so I never got it but as I have minimal mods & cc, and no other issues, the game just sort of gives up after a couple hours, I'm wondering if maybe I do need it. I figured the crashing was just due to it being an old game and just dealt with it this whole time but I've been questioning lately if it's probably not a thing that I have to just deal with.

Possibly. I had a period where my game would crash after about four hours and I'd either reload or be like 'welp, that's a sign I need to stop for the day' but then I realised my game had mysteriously become unpatched (dunno if I'd forgotten to do it after a reinstall or if I accidentally ran it in compatibility mode and unpatched it) but when I patched it, the crashing stopped. Now my 'you've been playing too long' signal is pink flashing instead.
Alchemist
#27844 Old 13th Aug 2021 at 7:20 AM
Is there a way I can set objects on a lot to broken without taking a sim there? Preferably with a build mode mod like Moo's Turn on all lights or by setting a flag in SimPE somehow.

...Newly created Sims come with these memories as default, right? Asking because this is for a custom hood I plan to make.

Thank you! :p

Yes, I think so, but even if your custom sims don't have them, you can copy from a different neighborhood the same way. Just load a hood, copy the memory, load a different hood, and paste. I would think this would work fine with mystery sims, assuming they always have the same GUID. Welcome!
Mad Poster
#27845 Old 13th Aug 2021 at 3:22 PM
Default Still no sign of Eve coming back. What do we do now?
What time do the police normally bring back teenage runaways? It's now 3 p.m. in the afternoon, and there's still no sign of them -- or her. (It's that time in Real Life too!) It's beginning to look as if they're not coming. What should we do now? Go on waiting, and hoping? Send River and his boyfriend Alan to university, and see if she's on the list of teens they can take with them? Try to get her into LGU some other way? Use a teleporter to force her to come to school? Expel her from the school? A combination of these, or something else altogether? Another girl, called Darcy, appears to have taken over her paper round.

I hope I don't have to revert to an earlier backup, because River Jenkins has been really enjoying his time at school, getting lots of 1 to 1 attention from his teacher. She's got his grade up from C+ to A, which I think is more than enough to go to university, and, as you may have seen in another thread, he's learned how to cook spaghetti too. At the moment he's swimming in the school pool (and gaining Body Skill) after a long pillow fight wit his teacher.

My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
Mad Poster
#27846 Old 13th Aug 2021 at 3:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
What time do the police normally bring back teenage runaways? It's now 3 p.m. in the afternoon, and there's still no sign of them -- or her. (It's that time in Real Life too!) It's beginning to look as if they're not coming. What should we do now? Go on waiting, and hoping? Send River and his boyfriend Alan to university, and see if she's on the list of teens they can take with them? Try to get her into LGU some other way? Use a teleporter to force her to come to school? Expel her from the school? A combination of these, or something else altogether? Another girl, called Darcy, appears to have taken over her paper round.

I hope I don't have to revert to an earlier backup, because River Jenkins has been really enjoying his time at school, getting lots of 1 to 1 attention from his teacher. She's got his grade up from C+ to A, which I think is more than enough to go to university, and, as you may have seen in another thread, he's learned how to cook spaghetti too. At the moment he's swimming in the school pool (and gaining Body Skill) after a long pillow fight wit his teacher.

I'd just teleport her back into whatever household she was in, if any-or put her into school as a new student. If she's not come back by now (either by herself or the police) she's not coming back. Don't dump your present game just for one pixel. Just retrieve her and pretend it was a mistake on her part.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Mad Poster
#27847 Old 13th Aug 2021 at 3:39 PM
The runaway icon will never go away, though.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#27848 Old 13th Aug 2021 at 3:56 PM
Will the runaway icon go away when she ages up or goes to uni?

Quote: Originally posted by FranH
Just retrieve her and pretend it was a mistake on her part.
It certainly was! I have absolutely no idea why she ran away. Everything seemed to be going so well for her!

My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
Mad Poster
#27849 Old 13th Aug 2021 at 7:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sunrader
Is there a way I can set objects on a lot to broken without taking a sim there? Preferably with a build mode mod like Moo's Turn on all lights or by setting a flag in SimPE somehow.
!

There is the "boolprop" cheat to break/make dirty, THINK it works in empty house. Let us know.

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Alchemist
#27850 Old 13th Aug 2021 at 9:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by grammapat
There is the "boolprop" cheat to break/make dirty, THINK it works in empty house. Let us know.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I don't think so. Maybe I can extract that interaction and make a mod I can use for it. Or maybe someone will tell me I'm doing it wrong.
Page 1114 of 1345