Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Oct 2011 at 8:30 PM Last edited by RylandHomes : 25th Oct 2011 at 5:56 PM.
Default Breeder Profession

So if you're like myself, you're really disappointed that Pets doesn't give you the option to be a Professional Breeder. I want to change that, and if you're like me, you will to!

I'm wanting to start working on this as soon as possible, but I know I wont be able to do it alone. To me, it seams like it should be pretty extensive work, but straightforward:
  • Create a new Profession called either "Dog Breeder", "Cat Breeder", or "Horse Breeder".
  • Add the following options to the following objects:

Computer:
    Build Breeder Website
    This would increase the number of emails from buyers.
    Manage Breeder Website
    -Add a Video of...
    --Select Puppy/Kitten/Foal
    This would build your breeder reputation up.
    Check For Purchasable Puppies
    -Select Breed
    This would give you a list of the purchasable puppies of that particular breed.
    Check For Purchasable Kittens
    -Select Breed
    This would give you a list of the purchasable kittens of that particular breed.
    Check For Purchasable Foals
    -Select Breed
    This would give you a list of the purchasable foals of that particular breed.

--Once you select the puppy you want, your sim would email the breeder and await for a reply.
    -- Once your sim has gotten the reply from the breeder, you sim could either confirm the purchase or cancel.
    ---Once purchase is confirmed, your sim would pay via computer the amount of the puppy, and then the puppy/kitten/foal would be delivered to your house by the social worker that comes by to pick up the animals you give up for adoption, and the animal would then be added to your family.

Sim (Breeder):
    Purchase Puppy/Kitten/Foal
    This would give you a list of the purchasable puppies that breeder has to offer.
    -- If you chose this option outside of the breeders home, you would then follow the breeder to their house and pickup your puppy/kitten/foal. Once the animal is purchased, it is then added to your family.

I'm know that this list isn't truly complete. It just scratches the surface, and give us something to discuss further. We'll figure out what can, and cannot be done as we go, and I'm sure that this will be reconfigured multiple times as we go. Please voice your thoughts and ideas.

RylandHomes - Dorian Lard
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 25th Oct 2011 at 3:35 AM
Like the way this is going,I think a post video of puppies feature would be good.That's what my parents did when my dog,Stella had her first litter of 5 puppies a couple years ago.Oh,how I miss those little rascals!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 25th Oct 2011 at 7:29 AM
Obsolutely! That's a great idea, the breeder we got our Yorkie from has videos of their pups on their site. I'll just edit that list as we go on about this, that way we don't clutter the thread.

Test Subject
#4 Old 27th Oct 2011 at 6:41 AM
Default Ideas
Great concepts so far! If you have the know-how to do I'd love to see this a reality.
Might I suggest differentiating between "big dogs" and "small dogs"?

The only thing I see an issue with is that if you receive specific breed requests, it may complicate matters with actually tracking down that breed, raising that breed, then mating and selling that breed. Maybe if the requests were generalized you could specialize your breeding to something like [for example:] I am a pedigree Beagle breeder, or a Mixed breeder, etc. I'm sure the neighboring Sims won't mind.

...I think I over-think things...
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 27th Oct 2011 at 7:09 AM Last edited by RylandHomes : 27th Oct 2011 at 7:11 AM. Reason: clearing up any possible confusion.
Quote: Originally posted by elfjadeston
Great concepts so far! If you have the know-how to do I'd love to see this a reality.

Actually, I've already began work on it. Let's say that I'm about 1.9% done. I'm almost ready for step 2 of 100 (give or take). I'm getting help from a particular someone who's famous for modding, so this WILL see completion. Heck, on my profile there is links to all kinds of ways to contact me, I'm not going to be harassed for not completing this, lol so this will be done.

Quote: Originally posted by elfjadeston
The only thing I see an issue with is that if you receive specific breed requests, it may complicate matters with actually tracking down that breed, raising that breed, then mating and selling that breed. Maybe if the requests were generalized you could specialize your breeding to something like [for example:] I am a pedigree Beagle breeder, or a Mixed breeder, etc. I'm sure the neighboring Sims won't mind.

...I think I over-think things...

I think you might be over thinking it just a tad.
You wouldn't get receive a breed request from an NPC (the only people that would be buying a pet from you).

Think of it this way:
You (or your sim rather) set up your breeder website, thus increasing your reputation, while also "unlocking" the "ability" to sell your puppies/kitten/foals to someone not in your neighborhood.
Your site (to a sim) will only show that you have a particular breed, for example, Beagles. Therefor you would only get inquiries on the Beagle puppies... It's not complicated at all...

However, now that you bring it up, I'm thinking now that maybe I'll add a sort of... "opportunity", if you will. You know those pop-ups you get while you sim is at work giving you the option to do certain things based on the scenario? Well, what if while your checking your email, you get a pop up (which would likely have a 25% chance of happening) of the email of a sim asking you if you have a kitten/puppy/foal available, and you could choose to scam the sim, tricking them into buying the animal from you that you actually don't have (which would bring your breeder reputation down). Then later your sim would get another email from that same sim (this is another popup btw) saying "Yo man, WTF? Where is my animal? I sent you the money! etc.". You could then choose to send the money back and say that the pet died (bringing your reputation back up to where it was), or not replay at all (further lowering your reputation).

Fresh fruit from the bigot tree
#6 Old 3rd Nov 2011 at 5:17 AM
Just one warning that can ruin this mod: I adopted a purebred dog from the shelter, and then, when I decided it was too much hassle and returned it, it was marked as a mixed breed.
See if you can solve that bug. It would be awesome to sell our dogs, but the game has a problem telling them apart from runts.

Do not install pescado's mod. It is the one producing the errors it warns you about. Get Twallan's instead. It cleans your save file and prevents glitches.
Test Subject
#7 Old 22nd Dec 2011 at 3:42 PM Last edited by leafpool377 : 22nd Dec 2011 at 3:56 PM. Reason: another idea
I think that, if this does come out, the worth should be affected by traits. Maybe you could set specific prices, as well. Also, I think that, with the other self-employed professions, the trait of the Sim (animal lover, dog person, cat person, and equestrian) should alter the selling price. EX dog breeders that are dog people can sell a dog for more, animal lovers get a small benefit, etc.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 12th Jan 2012 at 3:15 AM
I have been at my dads for the holidays and should be returning to my computer tomorrow night. I'll resume work on this in a couple days. Haha, I need to regroup myself! :P

Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 22nd Jun 2012 at 6:53 PM
cool i hope this happens, i hated the fact I never get money for my animals (as opposed to Unleashed and 2: Pets)

Just Call me Square!
Test Subject
#10 Old 6th Sep 2012 at 7:44 AM
This sounds like a much needed addition to TS3 Pets. I'm a bit peeved that they haven't really seemed to put as much detail into TS3 Pets as I feel they could have. You'd think that since Sims 2 pets could have "jobs" that the pets in Sims 3 Pets would also have those jobs, if not more. There are many equine fans out there and I think that although the horse aspect of the game is very good for the first Sims game with them in it, I think that they could have included vital equine related content such as a horse trailer (although there has been a CC decorative one made) and also a functional horse and carriage/wagon rather than the old and decrepit decorative one that sits in my Gypsy Vanner field looking very sorry for itself indeed.

Furthermore, I think that a veterinarian job would be very educational and important.