Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#776 Old 27th Jun 2013 at 11:38 PM
Maybe I'm wrong, but this challenge seems to be centered on Sims starving to death, peeing themselves, and/ or setting themselves on fire. Isn't it challenging enough for a non-controlled Sim to stay happy without outside assistance? (Which could still send them into aspiration failure or cause a fire or another incident...) Why torture them by limiting the number of beds and toilets?! Is the "asylum" a refuge from the "easy life of Legacy Sims", perhaps?

I think if I did this challenge, I would give them more beds and bathrooms. That's a scary enough concept for me (who usually micromanages Sims! )
Advertisement
Test Subject
#777 Old 28th Jun 2013 at 6:49 AM
Maybe I'm wrong, but this challenge seems to be centered on Sims starving to death, peeing themselves, and/ or setting themselves on fire. Isn't it challenging enough for a non-controlled Sim to stay happy without outside assistance? (Which could still send them into aspiration failure or cause a fire or another incident...) Why torture them by limiting the number of beds and toilets?! Is the "asylum" a refuge from the "easy life of Legacy Sims", perhaps?

I think if I did this challenge, I would give them more beds and bathrooms. That's a scary enough concept for me (who usually micromanages Sims! )

Has anyone else done this?!
Test Subject
#778 Old 28th Jun 2013 at 8:56 PM
So i did this and scored 79 Points:/
all but one sim died of old age. the monent "my" sim came home from work with her final promotion she dropped dead, too. xD

edit: None of my sims died an unnatural death though!
Test Subject
#779 Old 30th Jun 2013 at 10:22 AM Last edited by marinka512 : 1st Jul 2013 at 10:04 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Sirrah
@marinka: I can only speak from my experience, but they aren't as tortured by the limited number of beds and toilets as the player is. Mostly it was annoying that they clogged together, but they accomodate pretty soon. If you put in more beds and bathrooms there isn't anything of a challenge left. They won't be overly happy, true, and romance sims might be subject to aspiration failure if you don't have ACR, but aside from that? They take care of everything else on their own (clever sims!), and starvation is pretty easy to prevent if you either have a pond or your sim gets promoted quickly. But then again I had sims that were pretty tidy and took to cooking on their own. If you roll sims that are untidy or mean it might turn out different? It is totally your choice and played the right way it surely will turn out to be fun, but it isn't als challenging as one might think.

Guess I ought to try it... (I may give them at least 4 beds -- or an extra couch or something -- and 2 toilets, though! ) From the pics I saw posted and stories people write, it seems that all they do is stand around shoo-ing each other to use the toilet and shower. And then there's the puddles of pee (which in my game would be yellow, since I have that mod installed). So the main Sim would be cleaning up Sim pee and feeding a bunch of helpless roommates?! Too much like RL (if the pee was child produced) and I play the Sims to ESCAPE reality, not make it an extension of what I'm trying to forget for a bit...
Lab Assistant
#780 Old 10th Aug 2013 at 3:38 AM
Just tried this out. In the span of about a sim week and a half all of my sims are dead and I was only half way through my LTW. AVOID sim deaths. My one starved sim ghost was the downfall. He kept scaring sims to death and they in turn would scare everyone else to death. My last four sims all died in one night due to scares. Also, some sims are lazy enough to let themselves starve to death even if there is a platter of fresh food in the next room. I will be retrying this tonight. Final score was -36 I think.

~*Keyneky*~

-Also, I can kill you with my brain.-
Lab Assistant
#781 Old 10th Aug 2013 at 3:57 AM
Just tried this out. In the span of about a sim week and a half all of my sims are dead and I was only half way through my LTW. AVOID sim deaths. My one starved sim ghost was the downfall. He kept scaring sims to death and they in turn would scare everyone else to death. My last four sims all died in one night due to scares. Also, some sims are lazy enough to let themselves starve to death even if there is a platter of fresh food in the next room. I will be retrying this tonight. Final score was -36 I think.

~*Keyneky*~

-Also, I can kill you with my brain.-
Test Subject
#782 Old 13th Aug 2013 at 11:21 PM
I started this as something light before having to return to "real life" and work next week. Instead of going full-random for the residents, I tried to recreate the characters from Community. My controllable is Abed .

At a week in we haven't had any major catastrophes or breakdowns. No fires (!) or even piles of trash. I guess I was too generous in trying to recreate character personalities. I made the "Troy" popularity primary and grilled cheese secondary, and he has really taken to feeding everyone in the asylum.

"Dean Pelton" exercised himself to death once, but Abed was able to save him. Abed's LTW job (journalism) finally cycled through, so maybe more chaos will happen when he is at work. So far, Abed is friends with "Shirley" and "Jeff" (thanks to the chess set). I'm sure "Troy" will be next :D

"Annie" spends a lot of time cleaning, and "Pierce" tries to nap a million times a day. Pretty accurate, hahaha.

/this is probably only entertaining to people who watch community
Mad Poster
#783 Old 14th Aug 2013 at 1:11 AM
I tried it - again. And - again - I failed. Just CANNOT follow directions! The big Controller in the sky must be irritated with me. I left ACR in, starting moving in townies. Nothing FUN like everyone else had, just lots of humping and slapping and jumping and crying and bed-dancing and fighting. Two people DID get trapped and I let them starve. And a pregnant woman starved. And 2 babies were ignored and kept everyone awake (now, THAT was funny!). But I couldn't stand the starving pregnant women (even though the starving AND the pregnancy was their own stupid fault!). And then their were toddlers -- and now I'm just playing another overpopulated stupid house..

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Mad Poster
#784 Old 14th Aug 2013 at 1:44 AM
No sympathy for self-imposed chaos. ACR is not a problem for this challenge. You can enjoy some romantic entanglements but disable autonomous woohoo, or disable ALL ACR autonomy, and remove it as a factor for the challenge entirely, while still being usable for everyone else in the 'hood.
Test Subject
#785 Old 14th Aug 2013 at 5:20 PM
Can you replace burned items if the fire destroys them?
Mad Poster
#786 Old 14th Aug 2013 at 5:41 PM
No. You can replace stolen or repossessed items, but not anything lost to fire.

Three tips for avoiding fire:
1. Don't give them an oven. Use the Shiny Tyme stove from Uni instead. That prevents fires due to sims putting something in the oven then walking away and forgetting about it.
2. Isolate the stove with at least one tile of free space on either side. That way, if it catches fire, it's unlikely to spread.
Test Subject
#787 Old 16th Aug 2013 at 6:52 PM
I started this two days ago and am already beginning my third SimWeek, that's how obsessively fun this challange is. Its like watching television, a soap opera or something similar.

My eight Sims were all totally randomly generated, I used the die for the Aspiration as instructed and also for the TurnOn and Offs. I took whatever gender, Sun sign, looks or clothes came with them. I made each individual a separate family and named them after famous crazies (Jack Ripper, etc.) Then I had my not-insane Sim buy a lot and build the Asylum with his 20K. The toilet went into it's own room, also a sink in a seperate room and the communal shower in a seperate room. The dorm was another room just big enough for 5 beds. The rest is open-plan. We have a recliner in front of the TV, a table and 5 dining chairs, no stove only a grill out back. Oh and a piano.

I moved the other Sims in and of course had a pile of money but I only used what I needed to finish off the instituion with barred doors and stone walls and dingy tile floors etc. I cannot use any of this money- only what my Sim earns. He wants to be a Mad Scientist. That caused a slight problem as I had to have a chess board for the Logic skill but I got around that by not putting any chairs with it. Mike, who is the illegally committed hero of the tale, has to wait til one of the dining chairs is not being used than snag it to gain his skill point and put it back afterward. The crazy Sims have fits all day because the board is there and they can't use it!

On Day One I had Mike turn the TV to the Yummy Channel and invite the other 7 to "join". They watched it all day and really racked up the cooking points. Of course with no stove it's Chef Salad for every meal, except once when one of them grilled burgers. This week I may buy them a stove as Mike also studied Fire Prevention first thing.

And they do act crazy, especially now that they are in severe aspiration failure (I assume). However, like One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, they look out for each other. Physically, they do very well, only one pass-out has occurred because all the sleeping sites were in use. Someone manages to cook whenever needed or Mike fixes something before he goes to work. I have not controlled them or even looked at their "personal details" for one second with one exception: I wanted a real institutional feel so I made them all choose that ugly gray one-piece jumpsuit thing for Everyday, the same blue pajamas (both male and female), the ugliest underwear, the men all the same and the women all the same, and the same ugly brown workout gear with the goofy plumb-bob on the shirt. The "uniforms" really create a sense of isolated institutionalization. It's so realistic to watch them, all dressed in that hideous jumpsuit, weeping and moaning and sitting staring blankly into space, or playing the piano until they practically faint from exhaustion. There is manic behavior, compulsive type disorders (clean shower over and over), severe depression etc. But they comfort each other and try to "cheer up".

A couple of them are compulsive cleaners and this is about the cleanest lot I have ever played. I have had to order groceries an incredible amount of times. They love the piano and the newspaper and I have SIX Hobby Plaques just from piano, newspaper and book reading while relaxing on the beds! And they go into "the Zone" all the time and two of them have changed into formal attire to play the piano. If two or three are "hanging out" in the shower room a third will just go and shower anyway.

After two weeks I put in a pond for them and their inventories are full of fish (I peeked) but of course that is not worth anything since I can't tell them to "stock" or "give gift" either so there they will stay. They have been making "best friends" with one another all over the place. Mike however does not interact with them much at all which is understandable, I think. Also even with ACR the inmates are just not interested in sex. I assume it's the meds.

Anyway, thanks for this challenge its very enjoyable. I think Mike will achieve his LTW and regain his freedom. Sadly, I suspect I won't want to abandon my little crazies as I am becoming quite fond of them. So this story will need a sequel.
Mad Poster
#788 Old 16th Aug 2013 at 11:29 PM
Sims straight out of CAS don't have a gender preference, so that's why you're not seeing any romantic behavior. (Unless you assigned them all one somehow, in which case, I got nuthin'.)

Nitpick: You're not supposed to buy anything after the initial setup, except for decorative items. The chessboard, stove, and pond need to be there from the beginning.

Why are you preventing the inmates from using the chessboard? I don't really play for points, myself, but if I were, I'd want everyone to have as many skill points as possible, and chess for logic is a natural.

I get fond of my inmates too. I usually play the challenge in a throwaway 'hood, so survivors don't usually get to go on to have normal lives within a larger community, but I do let them have a sim week or two of luxury before I delete the 'hood.
Scholar
#789 Old 17th Aug 2013 at 2:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by janeknisely
Anyway, thanks for this challenge its very enjoyable. I think Mike will achieve his LTW and regain his freedom. Sadly, I suspect I won't want to abandon my little crazies as I am becoming quite fond of them. So this story will need a sequel.

On the occasions when an asylum challenge is successful, I move out the LTW-achieving Sim, who goes on to live in the neighbourhood. Whichever Sim is selected after the move-out by the computer becomes the new Sim. I use a cheat to move in a (greeted) walkby and then everything gets going again.

Obviously in this situation I can't score because the inmates have pre-established skills and relationships. However, the fun can continue and nobody has to die.
Test Subject
#790 Old 17th Aug 2013 at 5:07 PM
I am currently on the first saturday and my sims is on level 3 of the bussiness career, she needs one friend for a promotion which is difficult as this is a new neighbour hood so there are just townies who only ever come when she is at work. There were 3/2 accidents on the first day but no fires aspiration fire. Annoyi gly a sim passed out in the shower compartment so i had to keep washing hands on the forst day i made my sim get all its fellows watch the yummy channel and they were hooked i'm a little annoyed anout LTW as buisness needs so many friends
Mad Poster
#791 Old 17th Aug 2013 at 11:35 PM
On days where it's not possible to snag a walkby, at least have the sim make a phone call or two to keep existing friendships strong.

Take advantage of non-work days to make one or two friends. If the sim is at the beginning of a long string of work days, with no prospect of promotion, consider having him call in sick, in order to be home to meet a walk-by.

Use the time that can't be used for making friends to gain work-related skills. If he gets the skills needed for 2-3 job levels above where he is now, you can regain a lot of ground lost to this delayed promotion by getting others more easily, all conditions being in place ahead of time.
Test Subject
#792 Old 6th Oct 2013 at 2:31 PM
This was so much fun, and alot of fires...
Mad Poster
#793 Old 8th Oct 2013 at 4:11 AM
Your playable can call to meal even when they are at work, those of you who have non-playables who are starving themselves. So long as you leave a few trays of food out.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Mad Poster
#794 Old 23rd Oct 2013 at 4:12 AM Last edited by grammapat : 23rd Oct 2013 at 4:30 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Darby
Oh yeah. When you have even one angry ghost haunting the place, that reduces the chance of success considerably. Fun though, isn't it?

While working up to doing another, you might be amused to read EphemeralToast's Asylum Challenge story, Gone Bananas. It's a laugh riot!

I wish your link worked! And I want to play this again, but I want MY way:
there are so many jobs available, I will use a hack/object that allows chose any job. I WILL replace burned up stove/frig, and ONE counter. I plan on making only THESE in the enclosed kitchen, so table/chairs etc won't also burn. This was addressed recently but not answered. ALSO I will pick create the most bazaar personalities; this can only make the challenge HARDER, and I think more interesting. Hoping for chaos.

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#795 Old 23rd Oct 2013 at 4:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by marinka512

Part of the reason for less beds and bathrooms is so sims may pass out/pee themselves/get really stinky. Number one because it's funny-well I think it is and secondly because they will roll fears of 'passing out' and 'bathroom accident'. Filling fears lowers their aspiration which is part of the game play because they are meant to be crazy and it's fun seeing them talk to the ball or romance a mop or whatever. It also keeps your controllable sim on their toes. He or she has to time it so they get a bed and use the bathroom when they can. Would not be very hard if they had say there own locked bedroom with an en-suit.

Also your sims can certainly die in a fire without a stove! The first time I played an asylum it was a huge tree fire that took out two residence- one being my own sim self! (They were all simselves because I found that funnier) I don't know how whoever it was that posted could find it boring, I laughed my head off. Well except for my simself burning to a crisp part, that was rather argghh!!

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#796 Old 23rd Oct 2013 at 4:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by grammapat
I wish your link worked!

Yeah, that link is old. Try this instead:
http://clockwatching.net/~jack/s2/r...raltoast184141/

That's the first chapter, but I'm not sure if you can get to the rest of the story from there directly, so bookmark this: http://clockwatching.net/~jack/s2/reader/
and look for ephemeraltoast stories starting about 2/3 down the page. (The page lists authors alphabetically in two groups: Capitalized names first; lowercase names second.)
I HIGHLY recommend anything/everything ephemeraltoast wrote! And if you also read Candi020765's stuff, you'll see a lot of absolutely hilarious "rivalry" between the two writers in their respective stories.
Lab Assistant
#797 Old 23rd Oct 2013 at 4:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by grammapat
I wish your link worked! And I want to play this again, but I want MY way:
there are so many jobs available, I will use a hack/object that allows chose any job. I WILL replace burned up stove/frig, and ONE counter. I plan on making only THESE in the enclosed kitchen, so table/chairs etc won't also burn. This was addressed recently but not answered. ALSO I will pick create the most bazaar personalities; this can only make the challenge HARDER, and I think more interesting. Hoping for chaos.

I hope you document that, because it sounds like it'd be a hilarious read XD

I haven't done an aslyum challenge in a long, long time. The last time I did, I forgot to put a roof over their heads so everyone died of frostbite, starvation, or fright from the one that died by fire. I didn't think it'd end up getting that cold in the winter and in the end, the sim I controlled ended up dying in the bathroom while everyone alive was screaming to get /in/ said bathroom.

If love is what saves all the creatures then why can't I hear them howl?
New Livejournal
EX:pondefloor
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#798 Old 23rd Oct 2013 at 4:49 AM
My old one was saved off the exchange by some nice person to clockwatching if you want to take a look. http://clockwatching.net/~jack/s2/r...dsarah77226538/ Please remember this was 2006-7 so the cc isn't the best, pictures are just ingame shots and I don't think my spelling was any better. I was looking at it the other day and wondered why on earth I did 'this and that' but I was told it was really funny. If you haven't heard of clockwatching it's a site set up by Hoopytrib to save old stories off the exchange, mostly legacies and challenges before it closed. So if you get a hankering to go read ephemeraltoast, Candi020765 or any of the other old favourites you can probably find their stories on there.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
#799 Old 26th Oct 2013 at 10:12 PM
*pops in* Okay, okay, I get the point of a challenge is to Have Fun, and since starting this a few days ago I have enjoyed it but I'm not sure I've found an answer/solution to this so--have there been suggestions to solve your LTW career pretty much *never* popping up? I FINALLY got intelligence career, but it took 4+ sim weeks, which uh... y eah. I'm thinking in the future give it two weeks, then cheat select if it hasn't showed up? Or does that sound too easy/hard/etc.? I'm sure I'm not the only one with that problem, and I know people've said "just keep waiting", but 4 weeks is kind of ridiculous.
Mad Poster
#800 Old 27th Oct 2013 at 6:37 PM
The challenge rules have not, to my knowledge, been tweaked for the last few EPs, and I'm fairly certain at least one, if not two of the later EPs came with new careers, thus considerably reducing the odds of your sim getting the career he/she needs. So I think giving it two weeks, then cheating the sim into the job is reasonable.
Page 32 of 36