Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Oct 2019 at 11:09 PM
What happens to pets if all human sims in a household die?
So, I have a family right now consisting of two married elder sims and their dog whom they adopted a few days after becoming elders. The husband of the family died, leaving his wife and dog. She's two days away from dying as well (and I'm probably gonna use the Sim Blender to keep her alive for longer, lol) and the dog isn't even anywhere close to becoming an elder.

So... what happens to dogs/cats when all the human sims in their household die?

Are they taken away by a social worker sim? Are they made available to adopt by other families, similar to children?
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 7th Oct 2019 at 11:36 PM
The dog will be taken away and sent to the adoption pool.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 7th Oct 2019 at 11:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77

Thanks so much for answering. Now I have to make the hard decision of whether I want my granny to give her dog to one of her family members before she passes on or if I want the dog to be adopted by a whole new family... Both are intriguing story-wise. :p
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 9th Oct 2019 at 7:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77

I'm surprised. Has this changed over time with newer EPs or patches? Honest question, the first Sims 2 game I bought was a bundle of the Sim2 and Pets for my birthday, and I also got the "official guide" to Pets as a present. In there it said that if the last sim in the household dies, all pets present on the lot will run away and become strays.
Alchemist
#5 Old 9th Oct 2019 at 8:05 PM
"official guide"; I guess you are referring to the Prima Guide. from my understanding, all of Sims2's Prima Guides are based on pre-release settings.
most changes I take were made before the respective pack was released.

Sims2's patches I take just fix bugs/glitches/errors.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 9th Oct 2019 at 8:11 PM Last edited by KatKaleen : 9th Oct 2019 at 8:15 PM. Reason: Only bought one other Prima Guide
Quote: Originally posted by mdsb759
"official guide"; I guess you are referring to the Prima Guide. from my understanding, all of Sims2's Prima Guides are based on pre-release settings.
most changes I take were made before the respective pack was released.
Sims2's patches I take just fix bugs/glitches/errors.

Yes, Prima Guide.
I noticed faults with the Prima Guide I bought later, but I newer thought to question that tidbit. Thank you!
Mad Poster
#7 Old 9th Oct 2019 at 8:47 PM
The authors base the Prima Guides on a pre-release build of the game so that they're able to come out at the same time as the games. So depending on how many last-minute changes are made, some of the guides can be pretty inaccurate.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 9th Oct 2019 at 8:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Bulbizarre
The authors base the Prima Guides on a pre-release build of the game so that they're able to come out at the same time as the games. So depending on how many last-minute changes are made, some of the guides can be pretty inaccurate.

Are Prima Guides still around? I only ever heard of them in correlation with Sims 2, I spent enough money on that game, so I never picked up any of the following.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 9th Oct 2019 at 9:01 PM
According to Wikipedia, they almost shut down but were bought out and now do online guides.

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Alchemist
#10 Old 9th Oct 2019 at 9:04 PM
last I checked, Sims2's Prima Guides were available at Amazon and at Barnes & Noble's website.
some chance of other sites also having them.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 9th Oct 2019 at 9:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Bulbizarre
According to Wikipedia, they almost shut down but were bought out and now do online guides.

Thank you for clearing that up!.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 9th Oct 2019 at 9:09 PM
It's also relatively easy to find digital copies of the Prima Guides, though I probably shouldn't say any more.

Lab Assistant
#13 Old 9th Oct 2019 at 9:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mdsb759
last I checked, Sims2's Prima Guides were available at Amazon and at Barnes & Noble's website.
some chance of other sites also having them.

I don't need mine anymore, maybe I'll give them away.
Alchemist
#14 Old 9th Oct 2019 at 9:38 PM
Doesn't BOs pets and kids unattended stop this? That's what I use it for.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 9th Oct 2019 at 9:58 PM
Yes, but does the OP really want dogs on a lot with no owner? Better to let the police get them (that's who picks them up).

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Alchemist
#16 Old 9th Oct 2019 at 10:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by grammapat
Yes, but does the OP really want dogs on a lot with no owner? Better to let the police get them (that's who picks them up).

I don't know what OP wants. I prefer to control where they go.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 9th Oct 2019 at 11:18 PM
Is there really a meaningful difference between leaving the dog behind on a lot and combining that lot with some other household and just readopting the dog from another household?
Link Ninja
#18 Old 10th Oct 2019 at 7:02 AM
In my experience, I just save and leave the lot after the sim dies. The pet freezes in time, then when someone wants to move in, they get a new friend

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Mad Poster
#19 Old 10th Oct 2019 at 12:51 PM
Online guides are better. Then they can update them if there are changes.