Replies: 182 (Who?), Viewed: 10849 times.
Page 8 of 8
Field Researcher
#176 Old 5th Jun 2022 at 6:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Softlism
Redecorated rooms of Romeo and Mercutio: https://imgur.com/a/g27sqDd
Let me know if you have any suggestions regarding layout/deco

And I made an attempt to assemble a 70s Schrankwand

Last weeks I was more busy creating new Sims than being in Buy/Build Mode, but I hope I can make time soon for new builds and designing the Downtown hood (Windenburg recreation) with HoodPlanner.

Omg I absolutely love the realism. I thought I was the only one here obsessed with messy old school teenage rooms filled with posters. It's something I rarely see in the sims community. I also love the living room but the bedrooms are another level. My only personal preference is to avoid real life photographs on posters and try using the bands' artwork instead, it reminds me of low budget games trying to be realistic .
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#177 Old 12th Jun 2022 at 9:15 PM
Sorry that it took me so long to answer. I have a period with a very high workload in my job and I had Covid recently so that many things remained undone. The high workload will continue for a while so that it might also affect future postings.

CAS girl's bedroom
Is there any possibility to have a small gap between the heater and the curtain? Moving the heater down a bit or the curtains up a bit. I do not know how hot these heaters can get, but synthetic fibres usually are rather heat-sensitive so that it might be a possible fire source.
I like how the desk area looks like.
VHS or DVD player: I would add one. In rural areas, there is no cable TV and for an old, protected house, you might only get the permission to add one satellite dish, but not several ones. Thus, the more rooms of the house are supposed to have TV reception, the more complicated it will be. Therefore, I could imagine that only the living room has TV reception while the other TVs do not. VHS might be a good option because that way, the family members can record their preferred shows on the main TV and later watch them in their own rooms.
As the Spongebob deco just caught my eye: You could search for "Bernd das Brot". That is a character from a German children's channel that also became popular amongst adults around the time of your neighborhood. If you cannot find any such CC, you might try to create a recolor of the Spongebob deco. Of course, the dimensions and the arms and legs do not match 100 %, but the result might be close enough that a German person might recognize it.

Kitchen
If you want to have a typical German kitchen, you should remove the trash compactor. Compacted trash causes some problems when it is collected. Therefore, the use of trash compactors is forbidden pretty much everywhere (It is regulated on municipal level so that it was not possible for me to check the regulations for every single municipality.)

Lighting next to bed
You can google "Nachttischlampe" and have a look at the lamps that do not look too special. I do not think that the common versions changed a lot during the last 20 years.
I never saw any wall-mounted lamps in private homes, just in hotels (although that most likely was in other countries). If you want some examples nevertheless, you can google for "Leselampe Bett". Versions that are attached to the bed with a clip should definitely be more common than wall-mounted options.
For double beds, I would rather suggest, to find some CC that looks like a bed with integrated bedside tables. These type of bed should be relatively common and there, some kind of light fixture often is integrated in the headboard which allows to have a background light that is less dazzling than the alternatives.
Here are some examples of such double beds:
https://www.betten.de/img/schubkast...ett-groesse.jpg
https://www.woestmann.de/fileadmin/..._13d3d00d1e.jpg
https://img.archiexpo.de/images_ae/...47-4660575.webp

School
Neither secondary schools nor primary schools had any playground equipment.
The majority of pupils brought food from home and therefore did not spend the break waiting to buy food. The kiosk offered a bigger variety of food than you could bring from home and therefore most pupils preferred it and as they only bought food from the kiosk a few times per month, it was something special.
It is easier to get to know the pupils from your own class, but it is not impossible to get to know the others as well. For a few subjects, classes could be different (physical education by gender, religious education by denomination, third foreign language vs. mathematical scientific branch etc). There also were events and activities that included several classes or even grades or where classes were not relevant (e.g. year of birth for the sports festival and swimming festival). Having a friend in common or using the same bus also were sufficient to get to know another person better.
As there were no such objects available, I cannot recall anything special. There were a few cases when some things were considered "uncool", but that were individual cases like one guy with a lack of hygiene or a girl with overprotective parents who did lots of stupid things.
Playing with a footbag was popular amongst some of the boys (the ones who played soccer in a club) at least until 9th grade. Smoking and drinking alcohol were a topic from the age of about twelve, but you did not have do do this, to be "cool". Kissing was not really a topic because there hardly were any couples within a class and even if there was a couple, they usually would not kiss during school hours. First WooHoo definitely is a topic that you only would share with very close friends (gender might matter).
I think that your SO's observation is true. In Gymnasium, imho, there is less pressure to be "cool" by doing what everybody does and more acceptance for individuality. And, of course, you can do playful/childlike stuff during one part of the day and drink alcohol and smoke during another part of the day. These things are not mutually exclusive.

Parties
I guess I only know boring people, but parties usually were birthday parties or when there was a special reason (like going abroad for a year). Public festivals were more common - several towns have street festivals, villages often host festivals for certain anniversaries (like when they are 1000 years old) and there also were "Plattenparties" (disco for those that are too young to go to real clubs). There also might be more festivals related to regional aspects, like beer festivals, wine festivals, festivals for fishing enthusiasts etc. From spring to fall, you usually can attend some kind of festival on every weekend and many of them also try to be attractive to younger people (e.g. by having several stages with different type of music, by offering a variety of food and drinks etc). It was more common to attend these events. As these festivals also were interesting for adults, you could go there with your parents, then meet your friends and spend time with them and only meet your parents again when it is time to go home.
Duration of parties: There are too many factors to have a general rule for that. From the legal point of view, you have to turn off music outside or turn down to "Zimmerlautstärke" (to a level so that it is not audible outside). Screaming and shouting is also not okay. After midnight, even regular conversations in the garden can be a problem. However, it depends a lot on your neighbors because the public order office/police only will come to your house if somebody complains about you.
Most parties were in the living room, hobby/game room or cellar. Garden parties were extremely rare because there you would have to care about the party noise, while a party indoors usually is no problem. Garden sheds usually were used to store gardening equipment and they were not suitable for hosting parties. I have not attended too many barbecues, but even there, often one person stayed outside next to the barbecue while the guests were inside. The only exceptions were one person who has an open hall (just three walls) on the lot and parties where the number of guests simply was too big to fit them into any room of the house.
ICQ: Not really, I think. I was the only one amongst my friends who used that mode. The normal users just used "online" and "offline" as modes. The geeks were connected 24/7 and were "N/A" or "away" most of the time. I would say that ICQ only was cool before it became mainstream. You could tell apart the early users and the ones who joined later by the user ID numbers. By the time ICQ had many more users as before, most of the geeks also had IRC accounts and used that tool in addition to ICQ.

Schrankwand
The attempt is a beginning, but it needs a bit of improvment imho. The old Schrankwände that I know usually are rectangular and one big piece. Thus, you should fill up gaps like the upper left corner. Old Schrankwände also have rear walls so that the wallpaper should not be visible. As Schrankwände like this are quite heavy (you need several people to move them around even if they are completely empty), just having legs does not seem stable enough to me. Maybe you can place the upper shelves also on the ground in a way that they cover the space, but that most of them is hidden inside of the other items that you placed? I assume that you placed the TV on the right side because this fits the room layout. However, the Schrankwände were not customized. Therefore, the TV usually would be in the middle of the Schrankwand because it was the one central living room item. (Although, of course, there also are Schrankwände without any space for a TV at all from that period.)
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#178 Old 13th Jun 2022 at 1:35 PM
Thanks for letting me know! I hope you recovered well, and I will take the delayed replied into account.

School
Interesting to hear that PDA during schooltime was less common during your time (when I was in 9th grade, two classmates went steady w/ each other). But it kinda makes sense to me with the formerly short days at school.

Parties
I imagine the Capps complaining easily, but that the Summerdreams are forgiven by most Sims . But yeah, (vaulted) cellar parties it is then for the elves.

Pop culture
Can you recall from which year ICQ became mainstream? For now, I assume that Puck and other techy Sims would use IRC aside of ICQ, and the less techy ones texting or sometimes ICQ (my reference: in NL, chatting through PC was already common in 2003).
Lol, now I imagine frequent sibling quarrels and petty revenges regarding recording VCR, like the brother fooling around with the video record schedule settings of his sister :p
And I will check where to place satellite dish deco (here, it was more common amongst immigrants, but my SO also had satellite in the countryside)

Deco
Was the curtain rail usually right above the window, or sometimes also close to the ceiling? I use Inge Jones automatic curtains for the thick ones, but the heights are limited.
Thanks for the feedback about the Schrankwand -- I can try hiding the legs and shifting around with the compartments. But I'm always open to Schrankwand-esk CC suggestions.

Any deco/furniture placement suggestions about the Monty boys rooms? (Link of post 176)
Lab Assistant
#179 Old 12th Jul 2022 at 8:46 PM
Well, I definitely lost some body points due to the infection, but, at least, I do not sound like Darth Vader anymore when walking up hills or stairs.

School
It is not only because of the short breaks. As mentioned in one of my previous postings (several months ago), there were hardly any relationships with pupils from the same grade or even same school. Many pupils had a relationship with pupils from another school, Azubis or university students. I assume that this has a rather discouraging effect if there are no other PDAs.
The few PDAs that I remember mostly included holding hands and one "picknick" with blankets on a meadow.
However, I rather remember the ocasions when one class mate rejected another. E.g. there was one girl who wanted to invite a boy to a fastfood restaurant or a boy who made music tapes with his own music (he was not really talented, unfortunately) for two girls because he was in love with both of them. It always only took a few hours until the whole class knew about it and the music tapes were passed around to several class mates who wanted to make fun of it.

Parties
If you keep the lot positions similar to original Veronaville, there should be sufficient space between the lots so that the Capp family is not disturbed by the Summerdream parties.

Pop culture
I do not remember exactly, but probably around 2003. In 2001, it definitely was not mainstream and around 2005 it was mainstream. It is difficult to pick a date for something that changes gradually.
As long as your sims rely on VHS, quarrels could occur. At some point, my parents got a new TV with an external harddrive for recordings and two cables to the same satellite dish. From that point on, it was possible to record two different shows at the same time and even watch a third channel live as long as the third channel belonged to the same group of channels as one of the recordings. I do not remember exactly when my parents bought it, but most likely it was slightly after the time of your Veronaville.
Satellite dishs still should be the most common option in rural areas. Even today, cable TV is not available here. I just checked it and the cable TV companies only offer their services via internet connection and internet connections back then were not good enough for that (in several places they still are not good enough for that today). Before satellite dishs became common, people had an antenna on the roof. With that antenna, you usually only had a good reception of the public service broadcasters (ARD, ZDF plus a regional channel depending on where exactly you live). My father tweaked our antenna a bit so that there were about 10 channels available including the most common private TV stations - at least when there was no storm between the antenna and the place where the signal came from. My parents replaced the antenna somewhen during the 90ies, but I am quite sure that there still were a few people with an antenna at the time of your Veronaville. That would be an option for people with low interest in TV and probably also mainly older people because the public services broadcasters' audience has a very high average age.

Deco
Both options are possible. Rails (in contrast to rods) sometimes also are attached directly to the ceiling.
Monty teen bedrooms: As there are posters on the side of the dresser: Is it also possible to put some posters on the doors of the dresser? That is a common option for placing posters imho. And you also could put posters on the room door.
Laundry: When it is warm enough, many people like to dry their clothes outdoors. Therefore, you might want to put rotary clothes dryers in some gardens. If a house has several balconies and not all of them have a purpose yet, you can put clothes horses on the balconies. That also could be an option for apartments. It is also unrealistic that every single household has a tumble dryer. These people should have clothes horses available all year long. Drying clothes indoors is faster, but it can cause mold and the clothes might smell not that nice afterwards. Drying clothes outside can take several days, especially during winter, but the clothes will smell really nice afterwards. Thus, depending on the character of your sims, they might prefer one or the other option.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#180 Old 13th Jul 2022 at 10:37 AM
I don't have any Build/Buy updates yet because I'm currently more focused with character design. I started working on the Windenburg map recreation, though.

School
During school events, like multi-day school trips and sports festival, how likely would some pupils from the same grade/age group form couples?
For a Realschule + Fachoberschule with ~500 pupils, how many classes per grade would be common?

Character design
How would the Capps be perceived by rural Germans, since they show off their wealth by living in a big mansion? I understood that showing off wealth is often frowned upon by Germans in general, and one doesn't talk about how much money they earn.

What favorite songs do you imagine for the premades? This is what I thought:
Romeo: hip-hop, R&B, Deutschrap; dislikes party songs like Schnappi because he wants to be cool.
Mercutio: JBL, Die Toten Hosen, Rammstein; actually also likes cheesy hits like Schnappi.
Bianca: 90s alt rock, "Kuschelrock", indie rock (indie is her favorite genre in TS3).
Kent: either rock or trance, or both
Puck: chillout, house, techno, trance (influenced by his mother), but also "indie electronic".
Juliette: mainstream pop, easy listening ballads, Kuschelrock, a mainstream R&B (like Ciara), actually also likes cheesy party hits.
Hermia: Within Temptations, Nightwish, Die Toten Hosen, Martin Kesici, Apocalyptica.
Miranda: poppy rock (e.g. Silbermond), heavy metal (Rammstein), rap (sometimes).
Tybalt: whatever hard-hitting -- angry rap as well as angsty metal and banging hard trance.

Link to bring you back in time: https://www.offiziellecharts.de/cha...e-1105052400000 .

Parties
How common were Plattenparties actually? I asked a few German aquintances but they never heard of it, though I found some image galleries when googling.
Lab Assistant
#181 Old 9th Aug 2022 at 9:56 PM
School

Couples: I do not remember a single ocasion where something like this happened. As mentioned before, couples within the same class/grade/school were quite rare and even rejections that happened beyond school and school events were the gossip topic number one for the next couple of weeks. Therefore, nobody would have dared to act on their feelings during such ocasions.

Realschule: I guess you saw that Adenau has a Realschule and Fachoberschule (FOS). However, this is extremely uncommon for such a small municipality. In RLP there are almost 200 Realschulen and "Realschule plus", but according to a state website there are only 32 FOS. Therefore, I would rather locate the FOS in a bigger town further away. The administrative district where I grew up did not have any FOS at all. Everybody who wanted to obtain Fachhochschulreife had to attend a school in a neighboring administrative district and commute there by train.
Class size: According to the RLP website, the average class size currently is about 22, which seems really low to me. For 5th and 6th grade, they have the recommendation that class sizes should not exceed 25, but there seems to be no fixed rule. I am not sure whether the small class size is due to the fact that about 20 years have passed or that it is another state. In my state, the maximum class size was 33. Thus, the school would have a look at how many pupils signed up for 5th grade and then create the minimum number of classes possible. During the following years, the number of pupils per class would slowly become lower and at a certain point the school will reorganize the classes when it is possible to reduce the number of classes.
Teachers: There are different study courses for the different school types. Therefore, a Realschullehrer may not teach grades 11+ and a Gymnasiallehrer or Berufsschullehrer (for FOS) might not be interested in teaching Realschüler because Realschullehrer have a lower salary. Therefore, I assume that it is more like two schools within the same building than one combined school.
School types (5-10th grade): Separated Hauptschule (3) and Realschule (8)apparently are almost extinct in RLP nowadays and instead there are combined "Realschule plus" (185). I do not know how the situation was like about 20 years ago.
School types (11+ grade): On its website, RLP does not differ very well between the different types of schools that can be combined with a Realschule plus. You can attend FOS for two years to be allowed to study at a technical college. You can attend FOS for three years to be allowed to study at universities. In addition to that, there is also Berufsschule. When you are doing an Ausbildung, you work in a company half of your time and learn (most of) the stuff related to the job there. The other half of the time, you attend Berufsschule and have the regular subjects (German, English, maths) and few job-related subjects there. For common jobs, a Berufsschule will be close to your home and you alternate between working for one week and going to school for one week. For less common jobs, the Berufsschule might be further away and it is like a boarding school and you stay there for several weeks and then work in the company for several weeks. Berufsschule does not entitle you to study anywhere (At least that is how it was like back then. It might have changed in the meantime). And there is also Berufsfachschule. There you can do an Ausbildung without working at a company at the same time (apart from obligatory internships). It usually depends on the type of job whether you attend Berufsschule or Berufsfachschule. For people with Ausbildung, there are additional optional qualifications like Meister, Techniker and Betriebswirt that can be obtained later and in parallel to a job.

Character design

Capp family: People definitely would assume that the Capps think that they are better and more important than the others. The mansion itself is not such a big problem, I think, because it is old and inherited - a decision that the ancestors made. It is more the whole life situation that creates distance between the Capps and the rest of the village. The Capp ancestors always married people from outside the village. Many people from the region would work for the Capp company, especially in the lower level jobs which means that there is a dependency. I imagine that Consort has business friends from other towns, but not friends within the village. You also thought about sending the teenagers to a school further away to reduce their contact with other teenagers of the village and there are many more examples like this. I think that the Capp family is not part in any of the village's clubs for that reason. Maybe, they would be part of the parish council or be involved in church activities in some other way as this is the possibility to have some influence. The parish council is elected, but there are not so many candidates and people who invest time in church activities usually can get elected relatively easily even if they are not too popular. You might have to think about whether this idea is compatible with the Capp's matriarchal structure as it contradicts the Roman-catholic church's patriarchal structure.

Music:
I do not want to go into detail on every sim, but here are my thoughts in general:
I do not consider Schnappi a party song and I have never been to a party where this song was played. I mostly remember it in connection with Jamba mobile ringtones and once it had reached a certain level of attention, many TV shows started mentioning it and spreading it even further. But it also disappeared again rather quickly.
I do not know anybody who liked both rock and trance and rap, metal and trance also are not really compatible.
Martin Kesici: Was a casting show winner and his biggest hit was quite mainstream. He was invited to Wacken once, but was booed at by the audience due to his background. Therefore, I do not think that he fits into the list. I think that the typical casting show watcher would be more likely to listen to him.
At the beginning of the noughties, there was a wave of German pop groups like Silbermond, Echt, Juli, Ben etc. This wave was not yet completely over at the time of your Veronaville and that type of music was mostly popular with girls.
Tokio Hotel became famous in 2005. Many very young teenage girls were hardcore fans and were screaming, crying and fainting when the band appeared somewhere.
At the end of 2002, the first casting show in Germany started and that type of show quickly became very popular so that there were several similar shows on different TV stations. In your link, there are a few bands that were founded in such casting shows shortly before. Very few of them had long-lasting success, but there were quite some watchers of these shows who would buy all CDs/MP3s of these artists as soon as they were published. Outside of this bubble, the artists were confronted with many prejudices.
(If you are interested in more flamboyant public people, you could have a look at Daniel Küblböck who landed on place 3 in the first ever casting show in Germany.)
One music style that is missing imho is medieval music. I do not think that anybody would just listen to that kind of music, but some fans of alternative, rock or metal music also like medieval music. I could not notice a preference by one gender, but it was more popular with older teenagers, less with the younger ones.
You also might want to have a look at Stefan Raab. He was the host (1999-2015) of a show (TV total) that was popular amongst teenagers. Sometimes, musicians were guests in his show. Thus, a list of these guests might be more significant for the music tasste of teens than the charts. He also hosted a casting show of his own as a reaction on the fact that a competing TV station forbade their casting show winner to have an appearence on TVtotal. And he hosted the Bundesvision Songcontest which is like the Eurovision Songcontest, just with the 16 German states competing against each other. You can find the list of participants for each year online.

Parties: I guess that I used a rather regional term. You could try to google for "Jugenddisco" instead. I know that events like this also took place in other regions of Germany, but I do not know how frequent they are/were.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#182 Old 19th Aug 2022 at 11:20 PM
Due to the heatwave + struggles with crashing, I wasn't much in-game these last weeks, but this week I made time again to resume decorating the Monty Ranch: https://imgur.com/a/mbjgrmW
I realized I miss some antique knickknacks as Deco, and want to look for smaller religious deco based on The Watcher from TSM. Any other suggestions regarding clutter ideas and placements? I have downloaded Lamare's shift mod which make it easier for me to place clutter, but I want to finetune it with the gridless cheat later on.
And would carpet in the bedrooms of the upper floors make sense for a house that still had 70s interior?

School: after I did the math, does 3 to 4 classes per grade sound plausible for a pure Realschule with ~500 pupils? (so I can figure out which Sims I set as classmates in my headcanon)

In my headcanon, I imagine that the mother of my OC/CAS family is a typical "Spießerin", though she has 7 Playful points paired with 4 Nice points. How do you imagine a Spießer:in express their playfulness during social interactions? By telling subtle jokes to others that's typical of German humor?
Lab Assistant
#183 Old 25th Sep 2022 at 8:59 PM
I somehow managed to post my answer in a wrong thread. I already wondered why it was not shown in this thread. The beginning of the posting is outdated, but I decided against changing it:

I think we have the last hot days for this year. I will be so happy when temperatures are cooler again. Regarding the crashing: Don't give up. Maybe you just have to change a detail and the problems are gone again. I finally managed to get Sims 2 to run on my new notebook after 4,5 months (it wasn't a too big problem as my old notebook still is okay) without crashes or having pink flashing directly when loading the game.

Monty Ranch
The dressers and the "head part" of the bed look fine.
I do not think that Patrizio and Isabella would have a telephone in their bedroom. In the past, people only had one landline telephone in the house and it usually was placed in a relative central place (often even in the hallway). That way people could hear the telephone from all rooms and reach it within a reasonable amount of time. I do not think that Patrizio and Isabella had a telephone connection added to their bedroom at a later point. It also was frowned upon to call people at very early or late hours except in case of an emergency. Patrizio and Isabella definitely have the right age to think that way. That is why I cannot imagine them to have a phone in the bedroom.
I also think that the radio does not fit into their bedroom. Patrizio and Isabella had a strenuous life and I am quite sure that they stood up early in the morning and were busy on other lots or in other parts of the house until they went to bed in the evening. There simply was no time to listen to music in the bedroom. Therefore, I would rather place the radio in another room of the house (or even in several rooms as people did not carry them around). It was popular to have a radio in the kitchen because women back then spent a lot more time on cooking than people (usually) do today. For the bedroom, I think that alarm clocks should be the only electric devices. If you want to, there could be a clock radio, but it would only play music for a few minutes every morning.

The living room also needs some changes, I think. The sofas should be the main part of the living room. It feels strange that they are just in one corner of the living room. There also should be more seats available - usually you also buy one or a few living room chairs along with the sofas. Claudio and Olivia died not that long ago and you mentioned that Bianca is supposed to live with her parents which means that you need at least place for eight people, maybe even for ten as I can imagine that Antonio and Hero also lived in the house for a while after their marriage before they had children. Maybe you can place the Schrankwand on the same wall as the book shelves and have book shelves on both sides of the Schrankwand as an extension of it so that (almost) the whole wall is covered? I am not sure how to best place the furniture in the room to make it look and feel more cosy. Converted into real dimensions, this room would be almost 40 square meters while most living rooms that I saw are 15-25 square meters. Maybe it might make sense to split up the room in two?
A symmetrical Schrankwand definitely would look better. Maybe with the new shift anything hack, you can place the video recorder beneath the TV?

Carpet: I do not think that carpet makes sense for a house in that style and I also do not think that it would have been Patrizio and Isabella's choice as I assume that carpet floors are less common in warmer countries (even though the houses there sometimes are cooler during winter if they do not have a heating).

School: I would go for three classes per grade. 500 pupils in 6 grades means that there are about 83 pupils per grade so that each class would have about 28 pupils.

Spießer: I do not think that the playfulness has to be expressed in every single aspect of your life. I assume that the mother cares a lot about not giving people a reason to gossip about her and her family so that she would be a bit offish with people that she does not know too well. Jokes only might be an option amongst people that she knows very well and whom she trusts completely. I rather can imagine that she e.g. likes boardgame afternoons/evenings with her family or also with close friends. That way she has ocasions when she can act on her playfulness, but in a controlled way that does not contradict with being a Spießerin.
Page 8 of 8