Replies: 16 (Who?), Viewed: 1662 times.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Jul 2022 at 9:18 AM
Default Do You Reuse Residential Lots More Than Once?
I was watching a real life crime show and they mentioned a crime that was done in a home formerly own by the Famous rock musician Elton John in Beverly Hills California U.S and it's got me thinking this question as in sims 2 terms.

Do you reuse previously owned lots in the sims 2? let's say your sims got a little richer and you wanted to move them into a bigger house or apartment, would you expand the lot or would you reserve the tiny home for another occupant some sims will less money or perhaps a new household starting out, I do all of the above, first off sims 2 modders and experts say you need to clean a lot or replace a clean version of that lot each and every single time you move a sim household out due to the invisible lot objects that stay behind in the lot memory not visible to the naked eye and such but I just don't care at this point, some even say refusing to clean the lot will cause in game errors but I never came across any noticeable differences anyway.

I even often times reuse apartment spaces with only one non NPC household in the apartment lot at a time to avoid stuck sims and such annoyances.

And last but not least lets talk about our memories with some of our sims houses, do you keep a record of who lived in which house as the generations of sims die of old age trough a long playthrough of the neighborhood, do you photo record the 1st residences of certain mansions for personal memorial purposes to look back on lets say 3 years from now in real life? Have you done so in the past?

My personal radio station link in first post (commercial free and all music) listen with Firefox enjoy, this is a gift
me on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/TheAngelClassicRocKMix
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 22nd Jul 2022 at 1:14 PM
I reuse lots all the time in my neighborhood. Usually family home go to next of kin. The trouble is, the way much of the timelines line up, usually the parents end up living long enough that their own children are nearing being elders by the time they pass, so the point of passing on the house is pretty much moot because what would two empty nesters do with a nice, 5 bedroom suburban while their kids struggle to raise 5 kids in a tiny trailer or apartment?

I've also had a lot of lineages diverge or die off prematurely, so that makes inheritance more complicated when it comes to lots... for example, one set of grandparents have three kids. Two of those three kids died tragically young as adults, but they each have at least one child. Meanwhile their surviving child is happily established in her own house, and took her husbands last name, so it doesn't feel as right shoving her back into the family home she left. I was planning to just skip a generation with one of their dead children by giving it to their first son's only daughter, but the timing didn't work out, so now I've just given up trying to plan it out nicely and will just hand the keys to whoever is lucky enough to need the house when the grandparents die.

I didn't know that lots being previously occupied and played upon again caused issues... I always assumed the problems came when trying to move that data into the house or sim bin and spread it around to other hoods. I'm still not going to clean every lot I play on because at this point the neighborhood is 75 years old... I will have been corrupting the lots for that amount of time. Cleaning it now probably isn't gonna save it!
Mad Poster
#3 Old 22nd Jul 2022 at 1:17 PM
Oh, I do-by you have to be careful with them, because if you reuse a lot that has not been cleaned of references to previous occupants, it can potentially corrupt the game.
Which is why I only use lots that I make before putting pixels in, and they have never had any residents in them. If I need to move them out, then I'll clean it out before putting another family in it.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
My downloads of various stuff: https://www.mediafire.com/?r=wbmnd#myfiles (including funerals, here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 22nd Jul 2022 at 1:21 PM
I only clean lots of sim references if i am moving them to a new hood, within the hood all references are known.
If staying in the same hood I simply use the lot cleaner globe in case of any bugs.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#5 Old 22nd Jul 2022 at 1:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joandsarah77
I only clean lots of sim references if i am moving them to a new hood, within the hood all references are known.
If staying in the same hood I simply use the lot cleaner globe in case of any bugs.

Lot cleaner globe? Never heard of that one before. Could you share a link to it?

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Mad Poster
#6 Old 22nd Jul 2022 at 1:54 PM
Yes
When sims move out, their former house is simply on the market for the next sim who wants/can afford/needs it.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 22nd Jul 2022 at 2:54 PM
Rarely. I'll usually move sims in, and they'll stay there.

Unless I've had to move them to an empty lot first to cheat money due to a "same last name" issue with familyfunds (SimPE isn't an option if I'm in the game already)
Forum Resident
#8 Old 22nd Jul 2022 at 3:14 PM
I use my lots only once. so if a sim moves in the first time, it's their permanent residence. No exceptions.
Be like the 22nd elephant with heated value in space, bark!
retired moderator
#9 Old 22nd Jul 2022 at 3:36 PM
It depends on the family. If they are a rich family with an ancestral mansion, I will alter and adapt the house to each generation's need. But otherwise, when a family needs to upscale I'll build them a new house, and leave the old one for someone new to buy.
I do love building, so I never move lots between hoods- each lot is always built in situ in the hood where it will stay. But, I do reuse designs all of the time, even if I don't realise I'm doing it! I'm not very creative or original.

I will choose a path that's clear- I will choose free will
-RUSH- -RADIO- -EON- -ARCHIVES-
Simpeople and Me Archive- -11Dots Archive- My Sims World Archive
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#10 Old 23rd Jul 2022 at 12:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarVee
Lot cleaner globe? Never heard of that one before. Could you share a link to it?

Link is on my lot cleaning tutorial, its by Chris Hatch.
1.On an empty lot (must be empty of sims, pets, graves or it will crash)find the globe for $400 and click on it. No need to place or even wave it around (even though I tend to wave it a little lol)
2. Save and exit to hood and reload the lot.
3. Move one item, save and exit to hood.

https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=609188 scroll down to the end.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Instructor
#11 Old 23rd Jul 2022 at 4:41 AM
In the neighborhood that I am playing right now, yes.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 23rd Jul 2022 at 8:11 AM
Very helpful Jo, thank you!

OT: Yes. I tend to reuse Honeywell's bespoke houses in my hoods a lot. I love those houses, how realistic they look and their general floor plans, though in each 'hood I use them in I tend to give them some renovations, so it might be the same general house design but has different wall/floors and roof colours, etc.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Mad Poster
#13 Old 23rd Jul 2022 at 8:43 PM
I've save newly built homes and apartments for placing in my towns before and will save a new build to placce in another neiborhood in the event hat I've added a shopping district and might place a lot down there or a household living in a starter home or on an apartment lot might move to a homestead in a new neighbohood by evicting them from the first home and loading up the shopping district where I'm moving them to before moving them to their new home.I will sometimes build fresh each time like in a new town starting out and most residents in those towns get moved onto homesteads first so they won't likley move house unless it's to a new house in another part of their property like they lived in the workshop at the back for a while then for the real house built the lext year or a few years later on.
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 28th Jul 2022 at 2:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FranH
because if you reuse a lot that has not been cleaned of references to previous occupants, it can potentially corrupt the game

...It....Can...? Now I'm scared... Never cleaned a Lot cause I never upload them or move to another hood... I thought the rest is save .-.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#15 Old 28th Jul 2022 at 11:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraNettt
...It....Can...? Now I'm scared... Never cleaned a Lot cause I never upload them or move to another hood... I thought the rest is save .-.

If you move the old used lot to another hood you are taking the sim references from one hood into another. If this causes corruption or not, some people say no, some people say yes, others (I put myself in this camp) say we don't know. So if you want to reuse a lot in another hood I think its safest to clean it. I would also you the lot cleaner globe on it to make sure it is cleared of any bugs.

Lots can be corrupted, sims can be corrupted, the hood can be corrupted and rarely the game/install can be corrupted. This is why back ups and running hood checker is advised.

~Call me Jo~
Instructor
#16 Old 31st Jul 2022 at 1:57 AM
All the time. Sims fresh out of Uni or their childhood homes move into tiny starter lots. As time goes on, they may do well enough to move into bigger homes. Then more new adults emerge and move into those tiny houses left behind.

I played one neighborhood rotationally for 26 generations--main and one subhood. Never noticed any problem from reusing lots like this, and I cycled many households through all the small lots and most of the medium lots. Only reason that neighborhood came to an end was because I ran out of sims (my playstyle results in negative population growth). Two other hoods, same thing, no problem after a dozen or so generations. This thread is the first I heard reusing lots within the same hood could even result in corruption. Now I don't ever move lots. If I like a lot enough, I take pics for reference, rebuild it in a simless build-only hood and package it there.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 31st Jul 2022 at 4:55 AM
I've got a lot cleaner tool installed and will use it just as a precaution to make sure a lot is cleaned out if all sims are moved out and save it like that before moving new families in and apartment lots can have as many as four playable households in at one time though they have to move out though the evict funstion if the entire houshold is moving out though the find own place can be used for a family member splitting up from the family like a teen moving out of the childhood home or a newly aged up adult kid moving out on their own is an exception.