Replies: 20 (Who?), Viewed: 1435 times.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Jul 2022 at 2:01 AM
Default One feature that only I would find cool in the Sims 3
That feature would be having the option to have neurotypical or neurodivergent sims. I know there's a few that are kind of neurodivergent like the Kleptomaniac, shyness and neatness traits. It would have been cool if you could make your sim autistic or have ADHD.

Note: Not meant to be offensive, I have autism myself.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 25th Jul 2022 at 3:30 AM Last edited by nitromon : 25th Jul 2022 at 3:42 AM.
ADHD is described as a neurodevelopmental disorder characterized as "chemical imbalance" in the brain. Yet the criteria for ADHD diagnostic itself is only behavioral. How can they say it is chemical imbalance without any form of actual physical test, blood test, biopsy, etc.. etc..? Interesting, huh?



Btw, the irony of the video above is that Tom Cruise is a Scientologist in which you go in for one of their accessment counseling and they tell you that you are depressed b/c of "thetans" and what not and why you need Scientology. This is covered in the South Park episode. Irony b/c that is actually what Cruise is saying in the video above.

Things like ADHD and other similar disorders claim children have certain chemical imbalance without actually proving it and then prescribe drugs to control their developmental stage, drugs that are potentially harmful, mood altering, and neurological.

Part of life and growing up is learning impulse control. Everyone struggles differently, some with anger, some with insecurity, and what not. ADHD kids are hyperactive, needs to learn to control that. Calling it a disorder is just the way big pharma pushes drugs into the market. Imagine, if they come up with a drug to cure anger. Actually I think ritalin does that well, it is a mood suppresser, makes you docile and dumb.

ADHD is really just bad parenting.

Sanity is overrated.

Nitromon is a type of Pokemon encountered in the Pokemon Nitrome Version series.

There. Mystery solved.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 25th Jul 2022 at 6:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitromon
ADHD is described as a neurodevelopmental disorder characterized as "chemical imbalance" in the brain. Yet the criteria for ADHD diagnostic itself is only behavioral. How can they say it is chemical imbalance without any form of actual physical test, blood test, biopsy, etc.. etc..? Interesting, huh?

Btw, the irony of the video above is that Tom Cruise is a Scientologist in which you go in for one of their accessment counseling and they tell you that you are depressed b/c of "thetans" and what not and why you need Scientology. This is covered in the South Park episode. Irony b/c that is actually what Cruise is saying in the video above.

Things like ADHD and other similar disorders claim children have certain chemical imbalance without actually proving it and then prescribe drugs to control their developmental stage, drugs that are potentially harmful, mood altering, and neurological.

Part of life and growing up is learning impulse control. Everyone struggles differently, some with anger, some with insecurity, and what not. ADHD kids are hyperactive, needs to learn to control that. Calling it a disorder is just the way big pharma pushes drugs into the market. Imagine, if they come up with a drug to cure anger. Actually I think ritalin does that well, it is a mood suppresser, makes you docile and dumb.

ADHD is really just bad parenting.

Hmm, what's your stance on Schizophrenia and its cousin Bipolar Schizoaffective then? @nitromon

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Be like the 22nd elephant with heated value in space, bark!
retired moderator
#4 Old 25th Jul 2022 at 10:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitromon
ADHD is described as a neurodevelopmental disorder characterized as "chemical imbalance" in the brain. Yet the criteria for ADHD diagnostic itself is only behavioral. How can they say it is chemical imbalance without any form of actual physical test, blood test, biopsy, etc.. etc..? Interesting, huh?
ADHD is really just bad parenting.

Hmmm
https://news.mit.edu/2014/inside-adult-adhd-brain-0610
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releas...70216105919.htm
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19627998/
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/...0049-4/fulltext

Anyway, carry on with the sims discussion.

I will choose a path that's clear- I will choose free will
-RUSH- -RADIO- -EON- -ARCHIVES-
Simpeople and Me Archive- -11Dots Archive- My Sims World Archive
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 25th Jul 2022 at 12:18 PM
What the heck happened with this post?
Field Researcher
#6 Old 25th Jul 2022 at 3:46 PM
What the hell happened here?


I don't think introducing personality disorders as such would be a great idea, because there are too many of them and symptoms vary among individuals, so it would be difficult to set one particular set of behaviours, reactions or animations which would work for everyone.
Screenshots

If I lived on Mars, I would be pleased because the Earth is not my cup of tea
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 25th Jul 2022 at 3:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wojtek
What the hell happened here?


I don't think introducing personality disorders as such would be a great idea, because there are too many of them and symptoms vary among individuals, so it would be difficult to set one particular set of behaviours, reactions or animations which would work for everyone.

I agree, I wasn't thinking when I posted this last night.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 25th Jul 2022 at 4:09 PM
I'm going to regret asking this, but curiosity and all that.

How does neatness equal a mental disorder? If we were talking about sims spending 3 hours cleaning their bathroom every day when it is not necessary, that might be a thing. But generally speaking, because my sims wash their dishes when they are done eating or make their bed, they have a problem?

What does it mean when sims are slobs? Is this considered 'normal'?
Mad Poster
#9 Old 25th Jul 2022 at 4:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle Cat
I'm going to regret asking this, but curiosity and all that.

How does neatness equal a mental disorder? If we were talking about sims spending 3 hours cleaning their bathroom every day when it is not necessary, that might be a thing. But generally speaking, because my sims wash their dishes when they are done eating or make their bed, they have a problem?

What does it mean when sims are slobs? Is this considered 'normal'?


Personally I think that traits should have had broken down into levels of strengths, since I feel like some of them are either too strong, or missing some more negative effects that come along with a more extreme version of a otherwise positive trait (aka 'Nice').

So Neat could have been broken down into Neat (Automatically cleans up messes), and then maybe Clean Freak (Takes longer to do things, automatically cleans even without messes).

Same with Insane, the base trait is too strong, and could have been broken down into Eccentric (Not the AMB trait, but where they might perform some inappropriate behaviours at times), and then Insane, Frugal > Miserly, Perfectionist > Obsessively Compulsive, Messy > Slobby etc.

The interesting thing is that these various traits could then be combined into various larger personalities, or even disorders.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 25th Jul 2022 at 5:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle Cat
I'm going to regret asking this, but curiosity and all that.

How does neatness equal a mental disorder? If we were talking about sims spending 3 hours cleaning their bathroom every day when it is not necessary, that might be a thing. But generally speaking, because my sims wash their dishes when they are done eating or make their bed, they have a problem?

What does it mean when sims are slobs? Is this considered 'normal'?

Yeah, definitely regret this.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 25th Jul 2022 at 5:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jje1000
Personally I think that traits should have had broken down into levels of strengths, since I feel like some of them are either too strong, or missing some more negative effects that come along with a more extreme version of a otherwise positive trait (aka 'Nice').

So Neat could have been broken down into Neat (Automatically cleans up messes), and then maybe Clean Freak (Takes longer to do things, automatically cleans even without messes).

Same with Insane, the base trait is too strong, and could have been broken down into Eccentric (Not the AMB trait, but where they might perform some inappropriate behaviours at times), and then Insane, Frugal > Miserly, Perfectionist > Obsessively Compulsive, Messy > Slobby etc.

The interesting thing is that these various traits could then be combined into various larger personalities, or even disorders.


I think this whole thread speaks to the problems of using labels in general, but I'm not going down that rabbithole.

Speaking only for myself, I like to customize everything. Give me all the buttons with as many options the game can handle and I'd probably still find something else I wish I could change. This is why I like NRAAS Retuner so much. I've spent literally hours farting around with that just so I can shut off Maxis shenanigans that I don't want to see and or deal with. That being said, over the years I've watched countless, former TS3 players complain that doing things like changing hair and or eye colors is too hard. Clicking a circle, then a color...too complicated. The same is said about the TS3 body sliders. I don't know what is so difficult about them, but okay.

I'm not knocking your idea, but you can see where I'm going with this. If clicking a circle, then picking a color to change hair or eye color is too complicated, can you imagine what would have happened if Maxis broke down traits like in your example? All of this complaining about how things are too hard and or complicated is part of the reason TS4 is what it is...
Mad Poster
#12 Old 25th Jul 2022 at 8:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle Cat
I think this whole thread speaks to the problems of using labels in general, but I'm not going down that rabbithole.

Speaking only for myself, I like to customize everything. Give me all the buttons with as many options the game can handle and I'd probably still find something else I wish I could change. This is why I like NRAAS Retuner so much. I've spent literally hours farting around with that just so I can shut off Maxis shenanigans that I don't want to see and or deal with. That being said, over the years I've watched countless, former TS3 players complain that doing things like changing hair and or eye colors is too hard. Clicking a circle, then a color...too complicated. The same is said about the TS3 body sliders. I don't know what is so difficult about them, but okay.

I'm not knocking your idea, but you can see where I'm going with this. If clicking a circle, then picking a color to change hair or eye color is too complicated, can you imagine what would have happened if Maxis broke down traits like in your example? All of this complaining about how things are too hard and or complicated is part of the reason TS4 is what it is...


Yeah, maybe even a trait strength slider (how much the AI pushes its traits) could be vastly more useful than an all-or-nothing trait approach...which sort of brings us part circle back to the TS1-2 personality chart.
Instructor
#13 Old 26th Jul 2022 at 12:47 AM
Witnessed it in my game concerning trait priorities. My childish Sim also has a genius trait and rarely uses his childish trait, A.I. wise. Then there was a time when he relied heavily on his childish trait when dealing with an annoying friend. Regardless of the pairing of traits, each Sim A.I. can use as much or as little of each trait they possess and it depends on various factors. Then again when I play TS3 I still play connected to the internet so maybe there is something more to that than meets the eye, such as some sort of A.I. server which may support further learning from an outside source than just in-game. Or I'm just letting my imagination run wild, lol.

Because I'm Fragile...but I'm not "that" fragile.
Forum Resident
#14 Old 8th Aug 2022 at 12:24 AM Last edited by LucieSims : 8th Aug 2022 at 12:53 AM.
Please no, not Autistic sims , please no !
I fall into the Autistic Umbrella...I really hate my condition. I do not want people play with us, especially as Austistic, I already play as Autistic. They won't understand, they'll be bored !
And they do, that's why I post my story no more, nothing interesting (no woohoo, a world in a world, no love relashionship etc etc) , just the same, the same and the same. (now I understand why my story had never been read ahahah but at that time I ignored I was)
So if you're Autistic you already play Autistic because we don't escape from our condition.

I rather play with a sims that have a broken arm, or a broken ankle for instance, and wear a "plaster" for a certain while, that's more funny !

I know some neurodivergent traits are totally moraly questionable especially traits are exaggerate and are burlesque but ...I appreciate the funny of them. I find them "cool" too. These traits and sims bring so much interesting behaviours to this game, they break the routine.
___

@nitromon : Ah Scientology
I have no hate on these people, people are free to believe what they want, but they rather shut them up , because Niacin + Vitamins, + Sauna + Auditions never heals people...quite a contrary. They need a psychiatrist because they are lost (they are anti-psychiatry of course, they make people crazy)
Yes, the world knows too much about them ...they cannot hide and lie anymore. But I repeat believe in what you want okay? That's fine !

I don't know much about ADHD, but the few I read is a condition that is close to Autism .Nothing about a chemical imbalance, but we can call this condition , as hmm , specific developement troubles. (I am sorry my English sucks).
So the behaviour is divergent due to how the neurons and the brain work, understand the information around them? As us...
So the drug given is as a relief... the same for Austist with antidepressants.

Lucie is not my real name, she was a sims from a story I imagined a dozen years ago.
I speak French only. If my statements are harsh, rude for you, that's not intentional. I just think Different due to my Language and my Culture.
But truly, I am open-minded than you think of.
Scholar
#15 Old 8th Aug 2022 at 3:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitromon
ADHD is described as a neurodevelopmental disorder characterized as "chemical imbalance" in the brain. Yet the criteria for ADHD diagnostic itself is only behavioral. How can they say it is chemical imbalance without any form of actual physical test, blood test, biopsy, etc.. etc..? Interesting, huh?



Btw, the irony of the video above is that Tom Cruise is a Scientologist in which you go in for one of their accessment counseling and they tell you that you are depressed b/c of "thetans" and what not and why you need Scientology. This is covered in the South Park episode. Irony b/c that is actually what Cruise is saying in the video above.

Things like ADHD and other similar disorders claim children have certain chemical imbalance without actually proving it and then prescribe drugs to control their developmental stage, drugs that are potentially harmful, mood altering, and neurological.

Part of life and growing up is learning impulse control. Everyone struggles differently, some with anger, some with insecurity, and what not. ADHD kids are hyperactive, needs to learn to control that. Calling it a disorder is just the way big pharma pushes drugs into the market. Imagine, if they come up with a drug to cure anger. Actually I think ritalin does that well, it is a mood suppresser, makes you docile and dumb.

ADHD is really just bad parenting.


Everyone in my family has ADHD: both my parents, me, and probably both of my kids. My mother was an excellent mother and I am doing a pretty good job too. We're not bad people, we're just different. ADHD isn't a developmental stage and it isn't just poor impulse control. We can't see it in an autopsy because of it works in real time on a cellular level. ADHD is in the brain, so cannot be diagnosed via a biopsy. The road to diagnosis is long and hard. It isn't done on a whim and the drugs given to help manage the condition aren't given on a whim either. You are not well informed. You are not a medical practitioner. You're just spreading stigma against neurodivergence on the internet.

If anyone would like to learn actual facts about ADHD and other neuro-psychological conditions, I highly recommend How To ADHD on youtube.

The Mayflies Legacy- a Random Legacy Story
Forum Resident
#16 Old 8th Aug 2022 at 7:56 PM Last edited by LucieSims : 8th Aug 2022 at 8:15 PM.
@tunafishfish: Don't let those people judging you and you're family, you don't need to justify yourself face to them.they are Ignorant that's @nitromon is trying to say us.

Last time I went to see my psychiatrist, in May, one of them, was standing still, one of the main avenue of my city ,sharing a leaflet, that promotes : "We only use 10% of our brain capacity".
Oh the legend ! We all know that an Epilepsy crisis (the shaking, the brain ceizure? I am sorry if it's offensive I am not mean to nobody here) uses 100% of our brain capacity...
I was thoughtful so I took it. The guy was weird. I said "bonjour !". He replied me back and his "bonjour" wasn't cheerful !
I read it, bullshit !! I was so angry I threw it into the first public bin I met in my way.
With a such mindset, that's obvious they got their mind twist in Mental Medecine in legend... By the way , Xenu is a legend, Thetans too.

Please you don't have to justify , we all know you're amazing and your family too !

For the Native English Speakers here, we can translate Bonjour as Good Afternoon because it was in the afternoon the scene occured.I bet even in English this is saying as the most cheerful way possible isn't it ? Yes I am French.

--
Now what I want to know if : Allow me to suggest something : if Autistic trait would exist in the sims 3... What kind of gameplay enrichment this personality could bring to the game? I just want to know your opinion.
Examples :Being an expert on a subject.
Throw tantrums (perhaps it's negative to say this but my English is limited) when something this sims can't stand for.
Autonomously speaking about their specific interests . (I think this is already possible when somebody has gained skill points, they can talk about it, to the others and sharing knowledges)
Getting antistress ball and handspinners and Mind gaming as puzzle, construction gaming?
Unbalanced in walking?
Skin sensitivity?
Food troubles?

I won't judge you .

Lucie is not my real name, she was a sims from a story I imagined a dozen years ago.
I speak French only. If my statements are harsh, rude for you, that's not intentional. I just think Different due to my Language and my Culture.
But truly, I am open-minded than you think of.
Forum Resident
#17 Old 9th Aug 2022 at 9:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitromon
ADHD is really just bad parenting.


I've raised a child with ADHD, and I'm not a bad parent. Why would you even write a sweeping generalisation like that?

ADHD is incredibly difficult for both the child and the family depending on the severity. They don't want to act out. They can't help it. My son's specialist pediatrician likened ADHD to a child standing in the middle of an empty room with a hundred people, and every one of them is screaming orders at them. The child doesn't know which way to turn or what to do. Aside from that, I'm not even going to explain the other difficulties trying to cope & raise a child with this issue because not only would it be an essay but with that kind of attitude I wouldn't even bother.
Suffice to say, my son is now a relatively calm, polite, fully self sufficient young man in his middle 20's who still suffers from extreme anxiety that often goes hand in hand with ADHD, and is still triggered by red food colourings but is otherwise an awesome person.

Edit - Also, I wouldn't listen to a damned thing Tom Cruise says. A string of nannies probably raised his kid, and he's talking wildly through his backside. I saw that interview back when it first came out. I thought he sounded like a stupid ass back then and I still think he sounds like a stupid ass now.

I wouldn't want this kind of thing, or related conditions in the sims. As was said above, many people play the game to escape their health issues and don't want to deal with it in their gaming life as well as their everyday life.

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
InnaLisa Pose Archive
Be like the 22nd elephant with heated value in space, bark!
retired moderator
#18 Old 9th Aug 2022 at 10:16 AM
No point focusing on what nitromon said- I linked four articles that prove that wrong. It's factually incorrect, and what relevance Tom Cruise has to anything, I'm not sure.

I will choose a path that's clear- I will choose free will
-RUSH- -RADIO- -EON- -ARCHIVES-
Simpeople and Me Archive- -11Dots Archive- My Sims World Archive
Scholar
#19 Old 10th Aug 2022 at 4:49 AM
@luciesims That's so kind of you! I just got angry when I saw what he said.

The Mayflies Legacy- a Random Legacy Story
Field Researcher
#20 Old 10th Aug 2022 at 10:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pary
I wouldn't want this kind of thing, or related conditions in the sims. As was said above, many people play the game to escape their health issues and don't want to deal with it in their gaming life as well as their everyday life.
Couldn't agree more

If I lived on Mars, I would be pleased because the Earth is not my cup of tea
Forum Resident
#21 Old 10th Aug 2022 at 9:40 PM Last edited by LucieSims : 10th Aug 2022 at 10:23 PM. Reason: I had to edit because I cooked the diner and ate it ! So I wasn't the time to express myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tunafishfish
@luciesims That's so kind of you! I just got angry when I saw what he said.


My pleasure ! Truth is told.
And your anger against them is LE-GIT
___

We bear enough to be neurodivergent in this ableist world , that we have to become deaf to the self-claiming "knowing-it" people , especially from sects.
They are not doctors either scientists, already our psychiatrists, psychologists, and other neuro-psy's lack of knowledge to really , do what they can to help us to have a balance and the most casual everyday life possible, whoare they , Gurus to claim to be better than people who are dedicated to search for understanding our difference, the origin of it and everyday, meanwhile to get the answers, try to give us the best and appropriate support we need and the education , our family, us patients and the rest of the world needs to know to stop their prejudice/misunderstanding on us.

Lucie is not my real name, she was a sims from a story I imagined a dozen years ago.
I speak French only. If my statements are harsh, rude for you, that's not intentional. I just think Different due to my Language and my Culture.
But truly, I am open-minded than you think of.
Back to top