Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Aug 2022 at 1:14 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default HELP!!! Pleasantview disappeared!
Hi all,

I have the Sims 2 Ultimate Collection on Origin and am running Windows 10.

I'd been playing with Pleasantview for over a real-world year. I was not using a clean template (I didn't know they existed until I'd been playing for a while), and was starting to see missing want-slots as a sign of corruption, but I'd only been getting this for the past week - the game was working fine otherwise.

At the end of every rotation, I use Hoodchecker to clean my game. As usual, I coped my N001 folder and pasted it elsewhere as a backup, and used Hoodchecker to remove most of the corruption-causing stuff in Pleasantview. The game wouldn't launch after I did this, so I figured something had gone wrong with the Hoodchecker and pasted my backed-up Pleasantview back into the game. It still wouldn't load. I ctrl-z'ed a few times to try and undo everything I'd done, then tried to run Hoodchecker again - only to see that Pleasantview was now missing. Upon opening the N001 folder, it contained the Characters, Lots, Storytelling, and Thumbnails folders, but all the files were gone. They aren't in my recycling bin, and I cannot find them anywhere on my laptop. Pleasantview is also missing from SimPE. I have no idea what has happened to all my files!!

I've checked to see if the files were hidden, have tried repairing the game in Origin, and restarted my laptop.

If anybody could help it would be greatly appreciated!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 5th Aug 2022 at 2:40 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 5th Aug 2022 at 2:51 PM.
Large folders don't always play very well with Ctrl+Z (especially multiple times) or the trash bin, so never trust your files will be safe with that. If you think you've accidentally deleted a folder or done something you shouldn't, the undo button can in some cases be your worst enemy, because it doesn't always undo what you think it's undoing.

Do you have a backup elsewhere? If not, the files are most likely lost to the void. There's a reason you should have a copy of your files somewhere else than your computer, or at least a copy that's not directly connected to whatever you're currently doing (so you avoid issues like the only copy you have getting messed up).

The only thing I can think of is if the files were still loaded into the copy/paste clipboard, but if you've restarted your computer, it's probably removed by now.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 5th Aug 2022 at 4:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Large folders don't always play very well with Ctrl+Z (especially multiple times) or the trash bin, so never trust your files will be safe with that. If you think you've accidentally deleted a folder or done something you shouldn't, the undo button can in some cases be your worst enemy, because it doesn't always undo what you think it's undoing.

Do you have a backup elsewhere? If not, the files are most likely lost to the void. There's a reason you should have a copy of your files somewhere else than your computer, or at least a copy that's not directly connected to whatever you're currently doing (so you avoid issues like the only copy you have getting messed up).

The only thing I can think of is if the files were still loaded into the copy/paste clipboard, but if you've restarted your computer, it's probably removed by now.

Thank you for your response - seems like there's nothing I can really do to restore it, but now I know what NOT to do in the future!

I do have another backup, which I just tried to put back into my game and the game still won't start up... (SimPE and Hoodchecker now acknowledge this backup, so I've got no idea what's stopping me from opening the game now).
Mad Poster
#4 Old 5th Aug 2022 at 4:53 PM
The backup (assuming it's a full copy of the N001 folder) - remove all traces of the old N001 folder in the Neighborhood folder (if you haven't already), copy/paste in the backup folder, then delete the cache files (Accessory + cigen, in the TS2 folder), and try restarting your game.

If that doesn't work, try deleting the "NeighborhoodManager" file in the Neighborhoods folder. You'll have to run the game for this file to regenerate.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 5th Aug 2022 at 10:19 PM
There are issues with the towns that shipped with the game as they were all shipped full of corruption and sometimes it shows up right away like it did for me the few times I actually tried to play in thise towns.I've started setting up a Pleasantview game of my own using a blank terrain version of Pleasantview and am slowly adding my own versions of ancestors of the Pleasantview families as they were in the start of the town.I advise starting out small in a blank map instead of the towns shipped with the game and taking caustions to avoid corruption.
Field Researcher
#6 Old 6th Aug 2022 at 5:35 AM
Have you used another computer that's synchronized with the one you're currently using? It happened to me once; I allowed my current laptop to sync with my previous one, and my Sims 2 folders from each computer merged, which resulted in the neighborhood disappearing because of all the double and mixed up data. I don't know if this is the case but it might be worth mentioning, just in case!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 7th Aug 2022 at 5:12 PM
Thank you everyone for your replies and all the useful info! I ended up reinstalling the game, which got a backup of the neighbourhood to work briefly, but I decided to just keep the folder somewhere on my PC for sentimental reasons and instead start up a new, clean uberhood using clean templates. Thanks again!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#8 Old 7th Aug 2022 at 11:13 PM
@belleonabike if something like this happens don't reinstall. Not until you have right clicked on your Sims 2 folder and selected rename and added a word onto the end. Then run the game and it will make you a fresh set of folders. Also the UC has fix. If you go into origin and right click the game there, fix should be an option.

Reinstalling most times does nothing because normally the issue will be in the My Document folder not in the install files on C drive.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~