Replies: 34 (Who?), Viewed: 8334 times.
Page 1 of 2
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Oct 2013 at 11:43 AM Last edited by FranH : 5th Oct 2013 at 11:53 PM.
Default The Sims 2 Meyer-Briggs Personality Test
According to the famous psychological theorists, all human beings can be categorized in 16 types of personalities. This is called the "Myers-Briggs Type Indicator " and is very popular with corporations and other groups for measuring psychological differences in people.

Because we're all so very interested in this kind of thing for our individual pixels, I did some quick and dirty research and compressed all that stuff into a list of the major types that humans can be put in, adjusted for our sims.

While it is not the only way to perceive or understand them, it's pretty useful. I've read the Will Wright himself did use this information when creating the game, so it's not a really new idea. I added in the most related traits to each type that apply. You can adapt this, of course to your liking.

Anyway, here's a list of the types and their traits-hope it might be useful to everyone:

Sims 2 Meyer Briggs

Where, primarily, do you prefer to direct your energy?

Extravert (E)
(Outgoing/Active)

Extraverts often:

Have high energy
Talk more than listen
Think out loud
Act, then think
Like to be around people a lot
Prefer a public role
Can sometimes be easily distracted
Prefer to do lots of things at once
Are outgoing & enthusiastic
The need to talk things through.

Keywords:
outgoing • talkative • sociable

Introvert (I)
(Shy/Serious)

Introverts often:

Have quiet energy
Listen more than talk
Think quietly inside their heads
Think, then act
Feel comfortable being alone
Prefer to work "behind-the-scenes"
Have good powers of concentration
Prefer to focus on one thing at a time
Are self-contained and reserved
The need to think things through.

Keywords:
shy • reserved • reflective
Receiving Information
**********************************************************
How do you prefer to process information?

Thinker (T)
(Serious/grouchy)

Thinkers often:

Make decisions objectively
Appear cool and reserved
Are most convinced by rational arguments
Are honest and direct
Value honesty and fairness
Take few things personally
Are good at seeing flaws
Are motivated by achievement
Argue or debate issues for fun
Uses the logical choice

Keywords:
rational • black and white • tough-minded

Sensor (S)
(Serious/Active)

Sensors often:

Focus on details & specifics
Admire practical solutions
Notice details & remember facts
Are pragmatic - see what is
Live in the here-and-now
Trust actual experience
Like to use established skills
Like step-by-step instructions
Work at a steady pace
Trusts the establishment and the tried and true.

Keywords:
facts • details • data collection
Making Decisions
**********************************************************
How do you prefer to make decisions?

Intuitive (N)
(Playful/Active)

Intuitives often:

Focus on the big picture & possibilities
Admire creative ideas
Notice anything new or different
Are inventive - see what could be
Think about future implications
Trust their gut instincts
Prefer to learn new skills
Like to figure things out for themselves
Work in bursts of energy
Can see the big picture and future possibilities.

Keywords:
brainstormer • big picture • theory

Feeler (F)
(Playful/nice)

Feelers often:

Decide based on their values & feelings
Appear warm and friendly
Are most convinced by how they feel
Are diplomatic and tactful
Value harmony and compassion
Take many things personally
Are quick to compliment others
Are motivated by appreciation
Avoid arguments and conflicts
Considers others before making decisions.

Keywords:
compassionate • personal • warm
**********************************************************
How do you prefer to organise your life?

Judger (J)
(Neat/Serious)
Judgers often:

Like to have things settled
Take responsibilities seriously
Pay attention to time & are usually prompt
Prefer to finish projects
Work first, play later
Seek closure
See the need for most rules
Like to make & stick with plans
Find comfort in schedules
Loves routine and to-do lists.

Keywords:
scheduled • structured • organized

Perceiver (P)
(Sloppy/lazy)
(Playful/lazy)
Perceivers often:

Like to keep their options open
Are playful and casual
Are less aware of time and may run late
Prefer to start projects
Play first, work later
May have difficulty making some decisions
Question the need for many rules
Like to keep plans flexible
Want the freedom to be spontaneous
Enjoy surprises and changing plans.

Keywords:
go with the flow • unscheduled • flexible

*********************************************
As game theory, what do you think of using this 'interpretation' of personalities for your game characters or the original characters?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 5th Oct 2013 at 7:13 PM
Would be interesting to hear what types people here at forum are, to see if it matches what I have them pinned as in my head. I tend to guess MBTI for people to amuse myself :P
Inventor
#3 Old 5th Oct 2013 at 7:16 PM Last edited by xxsoulfire123 : 5th Oct 2013 at 7:19 PM. Reason: got the percentage wrong
I've taken that test. I'm an INTP. I read somewhere that only 1-5% of Americans are INTPs.
Site Helper
#4 Old 5th Oct 2013 at 8:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gummilutt
Would be interesting to hear what types people here at forum are, to see if it matches what I have them pinned as in my head. I tend to guess MBTI for people to amuse myself :P
There's already a thread on this topic. If you can find it, you can see the answers.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 5th Oct 2013 at 8:33 PM
Is that so? Well I'll have to google it then

@Soul: Keep in mind that if we have 16 types, evenly divided that'd be 6.25% per type, so 5% would still be fairly high. I'd also be suspicious towards that information, since 1-5% is kind of a massive jump and is about as accurate as saying "We know some people are, and some people are not!" :P
Mad Poster
#6 Old 5th Oct 2013 at 11:31 PM
I can't find the "other thread", but then I'm a INTJ.

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 5th Oct 2013 at 11:47 PM
What I would like to explore is if this truly works in the game-I'm trying to 'fit' the various types of personalities into each of my characters, but I'm kind of puzzled as to if this would be good for the aspirations, such as romance, or knowledge. So far, I've been pretty successful at doing it.

By the way, a lot of the criticism aimed at the true 'test' is that it's too cut and dried standardization for most human personalities. I think it's a far better theory for the Sims than humans, because humans can't be all categorized into neat little slots. Sims can, though, I think.

I don't want to make this into a thread about test results for real people. I was just floating this as a game theory, not human.

For instance: what would you call Don Lothario, or perhaps Mortimer Goth? Where does Bella Goth fit in, or any of the 'canon' characters? What would they come in as for 'types'?
Mad Poster
#8 Old 5th Oct 2013 at 11:48 PM
I found one, but it was in offtopic and I only recognized three names, so it wasn't very interesting (for me). There may be more hidden in some dark corner of MTS, but my google skills didn't find any.

It's interesting that you say it fits Sims better than humans, Fran. I actually feel the opposite. I feel MBTI is too wide and varied for the Sims and their programmed responses. It's so complex, and even though Sims 2 is pretty neat, I can't quite see a Sim capturing the spirit of these traits. I don't do free will though, so I never develop the kind of personality others see in their game
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#9 Old 5th Oct 2013 at 11:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gummilutt
I found one, but it was in offtopic and I only recognized three names, so it wasn't very interesting (for me). There may be more hidden in some dark corner of MTS, but my google skills didn't find any.

It's interesting that you say it fits Sims better than humans, Fran. I actually feel the opposite. I feel MBTI is too wide and varied for the Sims and their programmed responses. It's so complex, and even though Sims 2 is pretty neat, I can't quite see a Sim capturing the spirit of these traits. I don't do free will though, so I never develop the kind of personality others see in their game


If you use the 'basic' outlines of the personality test (not going into expansion of the famous 16 types), I think it is more appropriate, when you look at the personality traits in-game and those of the test. "Outgoing" always is extraverted-(by the way the original test did use this spelling, and I'm not incorrect in doing so-really!) and shy translates into "Introverted".

I think humans are more difficult to assess using such a test because they're not programmed, and some never develop full personalities that can be described in mere test results.

For example, truly evil people are off the scale-and you cannot tell me that Stalin, or his cohorts could be quantitatively assessed under this test-I mean, they're the embodiment of all the worst traits one can think of. Evil does not have a test result in this premise.
Instructor
#10 Old 6th Oct 2013 at 5:08 PM
I took it last year. I am ISFJ

It's funny because they gave the best and worse careers for my personality type. Mathematics/Engineering was on of the worst fields for my personality type, yet I have two degrees in Math and finishing a PhD in Statistics. I told the counselor "no wonder I hate my life!"
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 9th Oct 2013 at 8:51 PM
I took it not too long ago - I'm an ISTJ. Yeah, sure, I can be a bit playful, but gosh darn it, not for a second will someone on my watch goof around.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 9th Oct 2013 at 9:30 PM
I'm INTJ. Not your traditional ultra-quiet not interested in people kind of INTJ, but the more social version that enjoys contact but with a select few.

I think most of my Sims end up in the social I range (mostly because I make up their personalities and I play what I enjoy playing), but there are a few E's there (mostly during university period). I have a hard time applying the other three letters to Sims, so I'll just say that most of my own decisions are based on logic, which means my Sims will be as well. Occasionally I'll throw in some drama, but mostly in the form of someone cheating which is still mostly cool logic (I see - I want - I do / I discover - I say eff you - I leave)
Instructor
#13 Old 9th Oct 2013 at 9:34 PM
I'm an INFP, which I think fits me almost perfectly. I'm not sure I agree with the 'conversion' to TS2 personality points, because that makes me very playful which I don't think I am.

Call me Abi if you want, it's easier to type than my username!
Instructor
#14 Old 10th Oct 2013 at 7:21 PM
It's very strange that this thread was made so recently, because I took this test for my Management class yesterday! I don't think it's the best way to describe a person, to be honest. I got INTJ, which seems to be a common type for people on MTS. That must be why I like this place so much, INTJ's must be attracted to being a "hard-core" Sims player, lol! Anyway, mine said that I was "slightly" Introverted, "moderately" N and T, and pretty judging. (Just thought I would throw mine in there.)

I wouldn't say I would be a grouchy Sim. I agree with my zodiac sign-personality couple (which is Pisces) pretty well. Well, I used to anyway. The more I think about it, I'd probably be more of a Cancer. I think I swing both ways pretty wildly and that one is the most neutral sign if I remember correctly.

I might one day finish my Zanes Hollow project, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Until then, you can see what I'm up to on my Simblr!
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 22nd Oct 2018 at 8:24 AM
ENFP here!
Mad Poster
#16 Old 22nd Oct 2018 at 9:59 AM
I don't fit into any of those boxes myself

I can't even tell you if I am an introvert or an extrovert - I like do do many of the loner things (reading, playing Sims) and don't mind going out alone to dinner or a move, but I also love people and don't mind going out with a whole bunch or entertain large groups at times.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 22nd Oct 2018 at 10:09 AM
Perceiver resonates with me more.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#18 Old 22nd Oct 2018 at 10:49 AM
Oh my god, it's alive! I'd forgotten that I even made this thread and that was 5 years ago.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
My downloads of various stuff: https://www.mediafire.com/?r=wbmnd#myfiles (including funerals, here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file)
Undead Molten Llama
#19 Old 22nd Oct 2018 at 3:05 PM Last edited by iCad : 22nd Oct 2018 at 3:20 PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FranH
Oh my god, it's alive! I'd forgotten that I even made this thread and that was 5 years ago.


Everything old is new again.

I'm an ENTP. Which pretty much means that A) I'm kind of a jerk, which is true and B) I like to argue, which is very true. There is nothing I love more than a good, meaty argument, especially about meaty, controversial subjects. I enjoy arguing face-to-face, and I enjoy skulking about the internet arguing anonymously with people about politics and religion and (pseudo)science and stuff. I learn stuff AND I get to piss people off. Win/win! :D

EDIT, because I forgot the other half of what I wanted to say. I would say that the Meyers-Briggs thing "maps" pretty well to the Sims. They just have more "sliders" than the Meyers-Briggs thing has. It has 4 personality "sliders" where Sims have 5. It might be an interesting way to give Sims "stories," if you apply the Meyers-Briggs descriptors to the Sims, if you can figure out what type they are given that they have an extra slider. For instance, ENTP's descriptors are "the debater" or "the lawyer" (And I am a child of two lawyers, one of whom became a federal judge, so it's no surprise that I ended up with the personality I have -- lots of "nurture" over "nature" there -- especially because they deliberately groomed me to be a lawyer...HAH!) or "the inventor." So, that might give one an idea of how to play certain Sims or what career to give them or story ideas about them or whatever.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Be like the 22nd elephant with heated value in space, bark!
retired moderator
#20 Old 22nd Oct 2018 at 7:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iCad
and B) I like to argue, which is very true.

Oh no it isn't!

I will choose a path that's clear- I will choose free will
-RUSH- -RADIO- -EON- -ARCHIVES-
Simpeople and Me Archive- -11Dots Archive- My Sims World Archive
Undead Molten Llama
#21 Old 22nd Oct 2018 at 7:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by simsample
Oh no it isn't!


IT IS, TOO! :D

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Field Researcher
#22 Old 22nd Oct 2018 at 9:02 PM
Myers—Briggs Type Indicator based on Carl Jung ' s conceptual theory. I read that Will Right use and changed this theory for TS2. From the Carl Jung ' s theory remained in the game only Introvert / Extrovert.
Mad Poster
#23 Old 22nd Oct 2018 at 9:37 PM
I tried to do an online quiz to determine my Myer-Briggs personality type. I fell asleep partway through.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Usually hanging out in Sim Crafters these days. | Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives | Welcome to Oakbrook.
Alchemist
#24 Old 22nd Oct 2018 at 10:34 PM
MBTI is basically astrology. The legit personality test is usually considered to be the big five, although in my opinion that test is geared towards comparing everyone against a normative standard more than anything. But employers love it.
Field Researcher
#25 Old 23rd Oct 2018 at 2:11 AM
MBTI is astrology for sapiosexuals lol
Page 1 of 2
Back to top