Your Favorite image editor (I use gimp because it’s free.)
1. Open Sims 4 Studio
2. Under the tools menu, choose create empty package.
3. Pick a name and location for your package to be saved.
4. Under the tools menu, choose game file cruiser
5. Put a check next to DST Image and look for the painting you want to replace in thumbnails
view. There are many files, so it may take a while for you to find the painting you want to replace.
The thumbnails are sorted by size, so small paintings are listed higher than large paintings.
6. Click on the painting you want to replace, and click the
Add to current package button
7. This is what your file should look like. Of course, your picture
may be different. Keep in mind the size of your picture. Small pictures
are 128x128 and are best to start out with.
8. Now go into your image editor and make your new painting. When you are
sure it is the right size, save it as a png file. Keep in mind that medium and large paintings have blank space on them, so it is a good idea to go back to sims 4 studio to export them. Then you can replace the non-blank part of the painting with your custom image. Here’s an example of an exported large painting.
9. Now go back to sims 4 studio and import your image by selecting the DST image and pressing the blue import button. As you see in the picture, I am using a screenshot from sims 2 as a new painting.
10. Under the file menu, choose save to save your package. Make sure to
move it to your sims 4 mods folder. Now you can test it out. Paintings are picked randomly so it may be a while before your sim paints yours. You can also add more than one dst image to a package which is handy if you want to replace all of a certain type of painting like pop art. Have fun!