Replies: 674 (Who?), Viewed: 75535 times.
Page 27 of 27
Mad Poster
#651 Old 14th Aug 2022 at 11:23 AM
EA Spout Dumb BS Again To Defend FIFA 23 Gambling As Governments Fail To Regulate Loot Boxes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=an5nUswmwQ0

Quote:
"It's worth saying that spending is entirely optional in our game, and we do not encourage spending over earning rewards through game play. FUT Packs work in just the same way whether they are paid for or earned, and most players don't spend in game at all. For example, nine out of 10 FUT Packs opened in FIFA 22 were earned."

https://www.eurogamer.net/ea-sticks...3-ultimate-team

Quote:
Prepared remarks Q1 Fiscal 2023

Net bookings for the first quarter exceeded our expectations, coming in at $1.3 billion, driven by our FIFA franchise and the F1 22 launch. Compared to the prior year, net bookings were down 3%, or 1% in constant currency, driven by two game launches last year compared to one this year, offset by strength in the FIFA franchise, the acquisition of Playdemic and the launch of Apex Legends Mobile.

For a game that EA claims people don't spend money on, they sure do love to talk about how how much money FIFA brings in.

https://s22.q4cdn.com/894350492/fil...arks-vFinal.pdf

Advertisement
Mad Poster
#652 Old 16th Aug 2022 at 3:54 PM

https://twitter.com/BrickLion26/sta...oCxpYGxy6QrAAAA

Eh.

I hope that if there should be a TS5, people will not wait years to figure out that they are being bamboozled. Maxis has shown time and time again over the past going on 8 years that they don't care. EA certainly doesn't care as they hate single player games. If the game being spoken about is not FIFA, they don't give a flying fig.

The game speaks for itself. Gurus are not friends, nor is EA.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#653 Old 18th Aug 2022 at 2:03 PM Last edited by Gargoyle Cat : 18th Aug 2022 at 2:17 PM.
The following is a long-winded article. I'm not going to bother to quote from it because we already know what the truth is. See my post above along with all the other posts regarding TS4 sexual orientation in this thread along with the EP thread.

Take whatever you wish from this article at your own peril.

Quote:
In The Sims 4, representation is a journey, not a destination

Maxis producer John Faciane and senior game designer Jessica Croft discuss ever-evolving inclusion in-game, and across the industry

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/in-th...t-a-destination

EDIT: The following is not sims related, but let's hope this does not become a trend among CEOs in tech land.

I saw the following image the other day; I thought it was a joke.

Mark Zukerberg isn't cringe enough, so he has to double down being the troll that he is.

Meta Mass Ridiculed By Internet After CEO Posts Embarassing Metaverse Selfie In Horizon Worlds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxmJm-9uJMc

How is long is it before my favorite person Andrew Wilson starts putting himself in all of EA IPs.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#654 Old 25th Aug 2022 at 2:50 PM
Ex-Disney and EA staff unveil new studio to tackle climate change

Studio is developing mobile title EverForest, which will see real trees planted as players progress through the game

Quote:
Former staff at Disney, EA and Kabam have formally unveiled a new game company that aims to "take on climate change using the power of play, people and technology."

The studio, named Carbon Counts, was formed in November 2020, but has been operating in stealth while working on its first mobile title, EverForest. As players progress through EverForest's story, the studio says it will plant real trees in return.

Carbon Counts is led by CEO Michael Libenson, other members of the team include co-founder Brett Jenks, also the co-founder of Rare, COO Nicole Rustad who formerly led corporate citizenship at Disney, and Plants vs. Zombies co-creator Kyle Duncan, who is serving as executive producer at the studio.

The company also raised $4.5 million in seed funding to fuel the development of EverForest, led by Borderless Capital, Algorand and the Algorand Foundation, among others. It also raised $2.5 million in pre-seed funding last year.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/ex-di...-climate-change

Since there is no mention regarding how this new game is going monetized and EA their tentacles in the mix, wouldn't it be be something if this turns out to be a pay-to-win kind of deal. Multi-billion dollar company can't get off their wallet and just plant tress. They have to a motivation to do so. This is typical EA messaging and for whatever reason it still annoys me. Maybe some day it won't, today is not that day.
Mad Poster
#655 Old 26th Aug 2022 at 1:39 PM
If anybody wants to roast me from yesterday's post, it is deserved. It would be great if I paid attention to what the whole article said. It isn't EA that is involved in that project, it is a former EA employee that is carrying the EA torch. I digress.

With that out of the way, there is this nugget....

Quote:
Electronic Arts surges 14% on report of sale to Amazon

Shares of Electronic Arts Inc. EA, +1.59% soared 14% in premarket trading on Friday following reports that Amazon.com Inc. AMZN, +2.60% is planning to announce a deal to buy the videogame maker. According to USA Today, which broke the news, rumors have been circling online about a potential acquisition for EA, with Amazon, Apple Inc. AAPL, +1.49% and Walt Disney Co. DIS, +0.90% among the potential suitors. A deal for EA would follow Microsoft Corporation's MSFT, +1.11% deal to buy Activison Blizzard ATVI, -0.26% for $69 billion, another major deal in the video-game space. It also comes on the heels of Amazon's deal to purchase Roomba-maker iRobot IRBT, -0.19%. Amazon may announce the deal later on Friday. The price of the deal has yet to be reported.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/e...d=mw_quote_news

I don't know if this BS or not. I'll update if or when there is something to update. If it is true, the timing is so...interesting.

The following article came out yesterday. CEOs can no longer hide behind their board members.

Quote:
SEC mandates new executive pay-versus-performance disclosures

The rule will ‘help investors receive the consistent, comparable, and decision-useful information, according to SEC Chief Gensler

Public companies will soon have to disclose what metrics they use to determine executive pay, after the Securities and Exchange Commission voted to implement a new rule Thursday.

The regulation will require reporting companies to provide a table disclosing executive compensation and comparing that to certain metrics, including net income over the past five years (three years for smaller companies), total shareholder return generated by the company’s stock over that time and the total shareholder return for a company’s competitors.

Total shareholder return measures the total gain derived from holding a stock, including both price appreciation and dividends.

More after the link.... https://www.marketwatch.com/story/s...d=mw_latestnews
Top Secret Researcher
#656 Old 26th Aug 2022 at 11:36 PM
Amazon has apparently denied any interest in buying EA, for what it's worth.
Instructor
#657 Old 27th Aug 2022 at 2:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusannaG

They're probably thinking how they wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole
Mad Poster
#658 Old 27th Aug 2022 at 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusannaG

I believe Amazon as much as I believe EA "doesn't speak about issues surrounding speculation". I'll show why that is in a minute.

Amazon recently purchased iRobot. Because a certain person that I'm not allowed to name or talk about hasn't dealt with all the anti-compete BS that has been going on, there is now a lot of stink being made about more and more little fish being eaten by all the bigger fish. Wall Street loves monopolies as does the person I can't talk about, but Banana Republic or something.

Amazon’s iRobot Deal Seen Facing Tough FTC Antitrust Review

Quote:
Amazon.com Inc. is barrelling ahead with an aggressive acquisition strategy despite intense antitrust scrutiny in Washington, with its $1.65 billion deal to buy Roomba vacuum maker iRobot Corp. as the latest example.

Antitrust experts say the deal is expected to draw a tough review from the US Federal Trade Commission led by Chair Lina Khan, a critic of the e-commerce platform’s market dominance. The agency will also review Amazon’s $3.49 billion deal last month to buy 1Life Healthcare, the parent of One Medical. The FTC didn’t challenge Amazon’s purchase of MGM Studios earlier this year...

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ntitrust-review

Amazon has their tentacles in health care, bought a movie studio and is purchasing another tech company. There is no reason to think they don't have interest in buying up video game companies as well. It might not be today or EA, but they certainly are busy buying stuff.

On to EA...

At the end of every fiscal quarter, EA has their elbow-rubbing session with their Wall Street overlords. At the end of every fiscal report, there is a long thing that talks about 'foward-looking' statements. Forward-looking statements sounds better than speculation. Any time somebody from EA claims that they don't indulge in speculation as they did in this case, that can be sent directly to the the very tall EA manure pile. What is in the quote is only part of the splaining about what "Forward-Looking statements means; according to EA.

Quote:
Forward-Looking Statements

Some statements set forth in this release, including the information relating to EA’s expectations under the heading “Business Outlook as of May 10, 2022” and other information regarding EA's fiscal 2023 expectations contain forward-looking statements that are subject to change. Statements including words such as “anticipate,” “believe,” “expect,” “intend,” “estimate,” “plan,” “predict,” “seek,” “goal,” “will,” “may,” “likely,” “should,” “could” (and the negative of any of these terms), “future” and similar expressions also identify forward-looking statements. These forward-looking statements are not guarantees of future performance and reflect management’s current expectations. Our actual results could differ materially from those discussed in the forward-looking statements.

https://www.ea.com/news/electronic-...nancial-results
Top Secret Researcher
#659 Old 27th Aug 2022 at 11:56 PM
Like I said, "for what it's worth." Don't trust either of them as far as I can throw them.
Mad Poster
#660 Old 31st Aug 2022 at 3:48 PM Last edited by Gargoyle Cat : 31st Aug 2022 at 6:40 PM.

https://twitter.com/simshive/status...IC9_Y6z6rYrAAAA

https://twitter.com/TheSims/status/...ICjrefH67YrAAAA

Fascinating, isn't it?

TS4 is becoming more and more like Sims Mobile. Meanwhile, object babies, toddlers and kids can't hide in closets to get away from all the creepy adult sims.

TS5 ( if there is going to be one) is going to be one barrel of laughs after another...

EDIT:

https://twitter.com/TheSims/status/...MC-6f2Q7o0rAAAA

Date for the above date was July 29, 2022. The date for this entire post, Aug 31, 20222. I guess a week is a month and beyond on EA's mothership...

So concerned about pedophilia and incest. NOPE!
Screenshots
Smeg Head
#661 Old 2nd Sep 2022 at 12:02 AM
"20222?" So I guess they are still having the same problems in The Sims 729 as they are in the Sims 4. It's true, they never learn. And they never will by the looks of it. Thanks for the brief but enjoyable insight into the far future of the Sims franchise. (Fresh water is estimated to run out in about thirty years, but it's nice to know the Sims Franchise will go on for a lot longer. And please, please don't tell me they are still plugging the Sims 4 in 20222. Geez, they said they'd do it for a few more years, but come on!)

"Become a government informer. Betray your family and friends. Fabulous prizes to be won!" Red Dwarf - Back to Reality.

Find all my TS4 mods and lots here: Main Website - simsasylum.com My Section - coolspear's Mods & Lots
Instructor
DELETED POST
2nd Sep 2022 at 11:41 AM
This message has been deleted by Sokisims. Reason: Too deep for this forum.
Field Researcher
#662 Old 2nd Sep 2022 at 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolspear1
"20222?" So I guess they are still having the same problems in The Sims 729 as they are in the Sims 4. It's true, they never learn. And they never will by the looks of it. Thanks for the brief but enjoyable insight into the far future of the Sims franchise. (Fresh water is estimated to run out in about thirty years, but it's nice to know the Sims Franchise will go on for a lot longer. And please, please don't tell me they are still plugging the Sims 4 in 20222. Geez, they said they'd do it for a few more years, but come on!)

If water runs out before Sims 4, I will boil Sims 4 to drink -- that's all it'll be worthy for then.

Cleaning up the past will always clear up the future. - FortuneCookie.com
Mad Poster
#663 Old 2nd Sep 2022 at 4:04 PM Last edited by Gargoyle Cat : 2nd Sep 2022 at 4:19 PM.

https://twitter.com/Iron_Cgull/stat...ICj-fb9urorAAAA

https://twitter.com/SimGuruNinja/st...MCijcaLobgrAAAA

Happy Birthday, Sims 4. It remains a mystery as to how you've managed to be around for 8 years. Your creators keep "investigating" problems and yet, they never seem to find anything wrong unless it has to do with things people are not complaining about. I suppose it all makes sense in the end.

How can a person know what problems are when said person and or people spend their time playing the game of following and then not following people because peeps are not spilling sunshine and unicorn farts all over TS4. Gurus should be handed all the farts because they work TS4, donchaknow. This isn't just a guru problem, it is a Maxis problem. The bug team that is supposed to be fixin' things doesn't seem to be able to find any problems either. Since there are zero issues with their version of TS4, why are they [EA] not selling that one? Who doesn't want a perfect, bug-free game after spending just over $1,000.00?

Maybe gurus should take notes from Andrew Wilson. Perhaps that would help with the thin skin problem. Then maybe bugs would be found...nah.

Screenshots
Mad Poster
#664 Old 3rd Sep 2022 at 11:18 AM
I'm not posting this because I'm opposed to people learning skills that will allow them to have what I would hope to be a fulfilling career. I'm posting it because yet again there is some serious "false advertising" going on. Companies say one thing, but below surface there is a whole other story to be told. EA is a master of this and even though people don't like it, if there is nothing to hide, then there is no reason to keep the truth in the dark, IMO.

Quote:
Girls Who Code: “It’s a Movement.”

"This is more than just a program. It's a movement." — Reshma Saujani, Founder, Girls Who Code

Women represent 12% of all computer science graduates today. In 1984, that number was 37%. What’s going on?

That’s the challenge being tackled today by Girls Who Code, a non-profit organization dedicated to gender parity in computing fields. By working with young women across the United States, they are inspiring more girls to learn to code and pursue a career in technology. As a company powered by technology, that sounds pretty good to us.

https://www.ea.com/news/girls-who-code-movement

Girls Who Code making women the future of warfare | This Week in Business
Non-profit organization's partnership with defense contractor Raytheon raises questions about who it takes money from and where it draws the line

Quote:
STAT | $1 million or more – The amount Raytheon Technologies gave to Girls Who Code this year. According to Girls Who Code's annual reports, it also received at least $1 million from Raytheon in 2021 and 2020, and accepted the same level of support in 2019 and 2018 from United Technologies, the aircraft maker and defense contractor that merged with Raytheon in 2019.

So maybe to be ideologically consistent, Girls Who Code should say no to the money and deny assistance from Raytheon? Sure, but it's not like Raytheon is the only Girls Who Code supporter with baggage.

In this year's $1 million+ tier with Raytheon you've got Bank of America -- which settled government claims for discriminating against the disabled in 2020 and discriminating against a woman on maternity leave earlier this year -- and MetLife, which paid $32.5 million to settle a racial discrimination class action suit, and then was sued by its own chief administrative officer alleging gender discrimination and retaliatory firing after she raised the issue of a lack of diversity at the company.

Then there's 2021 top-tier supporter Walmart, which paid $20 million to settle a gender discrimination case brought by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission in 2020 and is back in court with the agency this year for denying promotion to a Black woman with a newborn at home and giving her an unsanitary closet for breast milk pumping instead of the clean office space it gave a white employee.

This is a long article. Its linked if anybody wants to read the whole thing.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/girls...eek-in-business

Where is all the funding from multi-billion dollar, AAA gaming companies that promote this program?
Smeg Head
#665 Old 3rd Sep 2022 at 4:30 PM
Interesting. Now take your mind back to a month or so after TS4 released, and remember that statistic news article thingy Maxis put out that covered a lot of aspects regarding the game and Maxis themselves. The article noting statistics like TS4 has four times as many game files as all other iterations put together. (That would be because TS4 actually quadruples every XML in the complete set of game files, so no real boast there... technically.) Then went on to say of themselves, Maxis, another boast, that across the industry, they are proud of the fact almost fifty percent, half the dev team, are women. (I wonder what the numbers on that are 10 years later.) A hiring strategy to backup the long-standing statistic that the Sims franchise is a game with a vast female audience, when compared to any other game you care to mention. So not quite going down the road of the unspoken agenda, "a game by women, for women" as that would alienate the male players, but at least getting half of the Maxis dev team as never before seen, half women, to let the female audience know they're really going all out to please. (Funny how the evolution of that hiring philosophy has turned TS4 more like a game made by mothers, for preteen daughters. They didn't see that coming.)
My point being, if the statistics Gargoyle Cat published above are a true representation of the number of of women currently involved, professionally involved, in the game development industry, then just what was the average skill level, qualifications, of half the Maxis dev team over 10 years ago when TS4 was in production? And does that have a bearing on the evolution of TS4 being so preteen orientated? - where earlier iterations were not. And, let's face it, most definitely built by amateurs who maybe weren't quite ready for the big leagues, (Mountain of errors and glitches on a biblical scale) - no matter their enthusiasm or gender. EA Maxis had/has an agenda, and TS4 is now what it is. There's always an evolutionary path to follow. Could this be part of that evolution?

"Become a government informer. Betray your family and friends. Fabulous prizes to be won!" Red Dwarf - Back to Reality.

Find all my TS4 mods and lots here: Main Website - simsasylum.com My Section - coolspear's Mods & Lots
Mad Poster
#666 Old 4th Sep 2022 at 8:47 AM
Maxis is content with no dealing with things.

https://twitter.com/SimGuruNick

Nothing I'm about to say is about the volunteers that deal with the all the crap that happens on the TS4 EA HQ. The volunteers there don't make the rules, they are there to help out for the things they can help with. With that out of the way...

If anybody from Maxis actually listened instead of blocking all the 'mean people', they would know the issues surrounding the TS4 HQ. There are some problems going on which are talked about all the time starting with the fact that there are bugs there that haven't been touched since the base game. Leaving 8 year old bugs laying around doesn't give the vibe that they care.

Then there is the fact that the complied bug list is 3 pages long. https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Repor...es/td-p/3445209

We currently live in a society where some people complain about how having to read a tweet of 150 characters is too long. What makes Maxis think people are going to spend the time scrolling through 3 pages of bugs? And how about all the people that do take the time and energy to actually go through all 3 pages, click the "Me Too" button only to see that bugs are not fixed? Some of those posts have over 800 "Me Too" clicks and yet, the problem sits and rots.

The excuse that mods and cc cause all the problems with TS4 is BS. Do outdated mods and bad cc cause problems? Absolutely, but console players cannot use either and they have just as many issues as PC and Mac users. Maxis has created a entire web of problems with trust and optics. None of this was the doing of people that play TS4, but nobody can tell them that. That's a mean, terrible thing to say even though the evidence of these issues are out in plain view for all to see. I digress.

Who is doing the code work for TS4 is moot and has nothing to do with the article I posted. EA like every other company under the sun likes to talk about being inclusive and diverse. The non-profit mentioned in that article likes to talk about the same things, but they take money from big businesses that have the same problem EA does. They talk the talk, but don't walk the walk when it comes to diversity and being inclusive.

All of this could be rubbing me the wrong way simply because I've been dealing with big business BS all summer, none of which has anything to do with being inclusive or diverse. These big companies are happy to believe that I ( and everybody else) fell off a turnip truck. I've worked through most of these issues, but Best Buy continues to be a thorn in my side. Upon trying to order a new computer a couple of weeks ago, they revealed to me that my account was compromised. At the time of this post, my compromised account is still active. I was told this past Tuesday that my account would be deleted within 3 business days. It's now Sunday...

If anybody is expecting me to have any pity for Maxis or EA, sorry, not sorry; it's not going to happen. I've been on their butts for 8 years, it isn't going to change now. I'm not one of those that complains about EA and Maxis, then likes them, then doesn't like them. Blech! I leave that to those that believe they get something from doing that. If playing along to get along was effective when it comes to dealing with Maxis and getting TS4 issues resolved, there wouldn't be a compiled bug list 3 pages long.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#667 Old 4th Sep 2022 at 1:09 PM
Fake! Photoshoped tweet11

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Mad Poster
#668 Old 4th Sep 2022 at 2:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
Fake! Photoshoped tweet11

I always tell when I 'shop' a image, so...

Don't remind me how Maxis abuses Photoshop. Maybe some day they'll learn what the blend tool is for.

https://simscommunity.info/2022/08/...-hair-features/
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#669 Old 8th Sep 2022 at 1:36 PM
EA caps cash severance plans for execs, but stops short of limiting stock

New policy is a partial recognition of shareholder-voted proposal to combat publisher's "tendency to overpay management"

Quote:
New policy is a partial recognition of shareholder-voted proposal to combat publisher's "tendency to overpay management"

EA has brought in a new policy that will put a cap on the cash portion of executive severance packages, but not the amount of stock included in such.

As per a filing lodged last week spotted by Axios, EA will no longer enter an employment, severance or separation agreement with any executive officer that exceeds 2.99 times the sum of said employee's base salary, plus annual bonus targets.

The new structure is a partial recognition of a proposal that shareholders voted for earlier this year that aimed to combat the firm's "tendency to overpay management."

This is noted by Axios, which highlighted that while CEO Andrew Wilson would receive $7.8 million in cash if he were to depart from EA – which is less than 2.99x his annual income – he'd also receive $27 million in stock, putting the total way over that threshold.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/ea-ca...-limiting-stock

Oh look, stockholders are fixing a problem...NOPE! I'm sure Andrew Wilson would be really disappointed being handed 27 million in stock; that will show him.
Mad Poster
#670 Old 14th Sep 2022 at 1:33 PM
There is something to be said about staying away from the sims community. Once a person dips their toes back in, the wall of WTF instantly reappears.

Let's go on a WTF is happening journey.

It started with a article on the Sims Community website.

https://simscommunity.info/2022/09/...-is-going-free/

The link within that story to "Instant Gaming" lead me to the following tweet.

https://twitter.com/InstantGamingEN...996261054636032

The link in that tweet lead me to this...

https://www.instant-gaming.com/en/1...lean%20&%20Cozy

How does the base game supposedly going free equal some pack that supposedly is coming out in October? Furthermore, there has been no October road map discussed or talked about as far as I know and the price of this 'pack' would suggest a stuff pack.

Screenshots
Mad Poster
#671 Old 14th Sep 2022 at 4:49 PM
Instead of editing my previous post, I'm going to do this instead.

Maxis is hustling for cash and players...

Quote:
We’re excited to continue to welcome in more players than ever to create new stories, and explore without boundaries. The Sims has always been about celebrating new ways to play and offers so many possibilities to discover. Beginning on October 18, 2022, The Sims™ 4 base game will be available to all new players to download for free* on PC via EA app or Origin™, Mac® via Origin, Steam®, PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, Xbox Series X|S and Xbox One systems.

With The Sims 4 going free to play, our team is more dedicated than ever to developing new and meaningful The Sims 4 experiences for our players and we will continue to develop and release packs, kits and Sims Delivery Express drops into the foreseeable future. We’ll be sharing more about what’s in the works during a special-edition stream, Behind The Sims Summit on October 18, 2022 at 10 am PDT via The Sims YouTube and Twitch channels, also available on demand!

https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/t...s=1663170578444

https://twitter.com/TheSims/status/1570065180003893251

The stuff posted on that Instant Gaming website where they were trying to charge money for packs, yeah, no. If packs are going to be purchased, go through Steam or Origin.

TS4 base game doesn't make squat in terms of cash for EA. It is the $1000.00-plus dollars in DLC that keeps TS4 around. This is 'giving away a kit' is not a display of love and or respect for the community. The game will continue to be broken and will continue to become more broken with time.
Screenshots
Scholar
#672 Old 14th Sep 2022 at 7:23 PM
Ah, base game free and now we can wait for the subscription that lets you play Sims 4 + all DLC. I wonder if this is a test for Sims 5 monetization? This is what Paradox did with Europa Universalis and that was a success.
Test Subject
#673 Old 16th Sep 2022 at 6:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrak_nl
Ah, base game free and now we can wait for the subscription that lets you play Sims 4 + all DLC. I wonder if this is a test for Sims 5 monetization? This is what Paradox did with Europa Universalis and that was a success.

The most likely scenario is that The Sims 5 is going to be a Free to Play Online Game that have MTX in it, in which expansions will come for free in exchange of MTX. Making the game free to play will make players think that, the DLC for The Sims 4 is expensive! I will just go to The Sims 5 instead!
Mad Poster
#674 Old 19th Sep 2022 at 4:16 PM
This isn't a rant, its more of a rebuttal. Since all three articles are lengthy, I've chunked them up. As usual, the links to everything will be posted for anybody that wants to take the time to gather the full context of what is being said and perhaps learn something. I recently learned what the term 'tech debt' means; TS4 is loaded with it.

How EA is transforming the way it makes video games

Quote:
Group GM Samantha Ryan on EA’s efforts to be more transparent and more open to what its developers want to create

“Early on, my quest led me to embrace psychology and player motivations. These are awesome tools that give our developers a sophisticated language to talk about the concept of fun. But over time, we need more tools in our toolbox. Games today have a thousand times the code and content, teams are hundreds of people big, and gamers have become incredibly sophisticated. We need access to feedback early enough that means we can actually react.

“To do this, we're changing the status quo in how we bring our games to players, by empowering our dev teams to adopt radical transparency and a more collaborative approach with players. It’s a process that has been evolving over time."

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/how-e...-its-developers

Inside Maxis' approach to navigating development challenges in The Sims 4

Quote:
When Disney rolled out its Star Wars-themed Galaxy's Edge theme park in 2019, the original pitch was that park attendees could live out personal Star Wars-themed adventures. Costumes and trinkets purchased in the park could fit "in character," and there truly was something Sim-ish about its casual level of role-playing.

"That's in line with what The Sims is about, right?" Pearson said. "You're immersed in this world and immersed in a story. From that nugget, there was a really interesting chance for us to use [Star Wars] that feels in line with how this game works." She noted that it was a fantasy that didn't require a re-vamp of The Sims' gameplay. She explained that normally, Maxis does a lot of fashion, makeup, or product partnerships, and pursuing a story-themed pack gave them "a deeper level of integration."

When asked about fantasies of the next level of human computing meant for The Sims, Pearson doubled back to some of her thinking behind Journey to Batuu. "What experience are we trying to give our players and our audiences?", she asked rhetorically. "What is the little connection point that makes sense with what the game is?"

Quote:
Pearson and her colleagues do apparently have their eye on Sims games that may make use of updated computing technology (VR, AR, mobile, etc.), but none of it can enter production without content that players want. "I don't want to just slap a Sim game in VR and be like 'look, they're hanging out on a couch,'" she quipped. She says the team is starting to show interest in the fluidity of players moving between a touchscreen on a phone or streamed version of The Sims, and a version played on conventional hardware.

Quote:
If solving a given development problem is worthwhile for players, then it's worth solving, decade-old tech debt be damned. For The Sims 4, building more inclusivity options (even if those options crash into how the game was constructed) was a worthwhile challenge.

https://www.gamedeveloper.com/pc/ly...ment-challenges

Yes, Lyndsay, where is the connection between space ships and a 20-year old life simulator? Who asked for Journey to Batuu? If there is so much transparency going on, certainly you should have been able to answer the first question when that pack came out.

How can one say that Maxis would never simply add something to the game if there is no demand for it when Journey to Batuu exists? Along those same lines, I have yet to see anybody claim that they want to play a sims game that is built to mobile graphics on a PC. That is going to be a really ugly game if that is what you're going to do.

I find it comical that Maxis is trying to project themselves as heroes over tech debt while their game is literally busting at the seams. They are being inclusive and diverse by spreading 8 years of bugs and making everybody miserable. I digress.

The article regarding 'tech debt' is not EA-specific, but it breaks down what tech debt is and explains it in laymens terms that anybody can understand. There are three parts to tech debt, but there is one that leaps out at me for TS4.

A Taxonomy of Tech Debt

Quote:
The third axis is something I’ve become obsessed with: contagion. If this tech debt is allowed to continue to exist, how much will it spread? That spreading can result from other systems interfacing with the afflicted system, from copy-pasting data built on top of the system, or from influencing the way other engineers will choose to implement new features.

If a piece of tech debt is well-contained, the cost to fix it later compared to now is basically identical. You can weigh how much impact it has today when determining when a fix makes sense. If, on the other hand, a piece of tech debt is highly contagious, it will steadily become harder and harder to fix. What’s particularly gross about contagious tech debt is that its impact tends to increase as more and more systems become infected by the technical compromise at its core.

https://technology.riotgames.com/ne...onomy-tech-debt

Sounds familiar, doesn't it?
Top Secret Researcher
#675 Old 21st Sep 2022 at 12:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mithrak_nl

I was also thinking Paradox, but a different game: CK2. When CK3 was announced is more or less when the base game of CK2 went FTP.
Page 27 of 27