Replies: 8 (Who?), Viewed: 859 times.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Apr 2022 at 2:18 AM
Default Saving a house to Library: Disallowed words????
"A modern take on traditional Japonese architecture. This home boasts a balance of soft white and neutral wood tones. In the main area of the house you will find an updated kitchen and contemporary living space. The master suite on the main floor has a spaceous bathroom and lots of natural light. upstairs are two bedrooms and a bath with a bonus area for recreation. Plenty of room for a growing family."

Sims 4 flagged this description as having a disallowed word...
I later went through and replaced my typos and it turns out "Japonese" was the word.

Can someone explain this to me????? lol I am so confused. Seems like such an innocent typo.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 20th Apr 2022 at 9:22 AM
I tend to give made-up fantasy names to sims and it says their names contain a disallowed word. I have no idea because English is not my first language. Does someone know what is considered as disallowed?
Smeg Head
#3 Old 20th Apr 2022 at 11:27 AM Last edited by coolspear1 : 20th Apr 2022 at 11:55 AM.
It's Japanese, not Japonese.

The spellchecker on this site, when making the post here, should have highlighted that - As it just did for me. Though I cannot see how that is a banned, insulting word, not unless there is such a ye olde insult for Japanese. I've been around over fifty years and don't recall it. Perhaps the game's software is guessing you are trying to make a modern insult by "purposely" (not purposely in your case) misspelling it?

In other words, in its over-cautiousness, it's just telling you to get it right to avoid any backlash. Because in this day and age of the internet and endless online opinions, there will always be some eager SJW who'll jump on you and paint you as an evil racist mere minutes after you post your innocuous mistake.

OBEY the spellchecker.

"Become a government informer. Betray your family and friends. Fabulous prizes to be won!" Red Dwarf - Back to Reality.

Find all my TS4 mods and lots here: Main Website - simsasylum.com My Section - coolspear's Mods & Lots
Be like the 22nd elephant with heated value in space, bark!
retired moderator
#4 Old 20th Apr 2022 at 3:26 PM
Don't mention Nighat Caliente

I will choose a path that's clear- I will choose free will
-RUSH- -RADIO- -EON- -ARCHIVES-
Simpeople and Me Archive- -11Dots Archive- My Sims World Archive
Smeg Head
#5 Old 20th Apr 2022 at 3:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by simsample
Don't mention Nighat Caliente


Funnily enough, yes, it used to throw a warning for that when the game first launched, but not anymore. I still name her that, save sim to library, and game says nothing. Methinks Maxis revised the rules on a few - fan service. But it's still obnoxiously, over-zealously overcautious in the most part. Even sometimes innocent words that could rhyme with known culprits - BANNED. Or spelling variations hitherto unknown to the world as insults, yet vaguely, ever-so-slightly similar, nevertheless - BANNED.

The safe side extreme.

"Become a government informer. Betray your family and friends. Fabulous prizes to be won!" Red Dwarf - Back to Reality.

Find all my TS4 mods and lots here: Main Website - simsasylum.com My Section - coolspear's Mods & Lots
Mad Poster
#6 Old 21st Apr 2022 at 2:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolspear1
It's Japanese, not Japonese.

The spellchecker on this site, when making the post here, should have highlighted that - As it just did for me. Though I cannot see how that is a banned, insulting word, not unless there is such a ye olde insult for Japanese. I've been around over fifty years and don't recall it. Perhaps the game's software is guessing you are trying to make a modern insult by "purposely" (not purposely in your case) misspelling it?

In other words, in its over-cautiousness, it's just telling you to get it right to avoid any backlash. Because in this day and age of the internet and endless online opinions, there will always be some eager SJW who'll jump on you and paint you as an evil racist mere minutes after you post your innocuous mistake.

OBEY the spellchecker.


I used to think this was just EA being obnoxious, but it isn't. Apparently AAA game publishers have a long lists of benign words people can't use.

I wanted to name my island in ACNH " Pine Cove". The game is okay with the word cove, but 'pine' as in pine tree is not allowed. To make things more confusing, Japan doesn't have a problem with using the word pine to describe plants.

Japanese black pine

(large Japanese ornamental having long needles in bunches of 2; widely planted in United States because of its resistance to salt and smog)

Japanese red pine

(pine native to Japan and Korea having a wide-spreading irregular crown when mature; grown as an ornamental)

https://www.audioenglish.org/dictionary/pine.htm

For shits and giggles it would be interesting to see if the game accepted either one of these. My idea is flawed from the start though as I can't try it. Both tree names have too many letters.

Make it make sense, Nintendo. Also, congrats. You're just as obnoxious as EA is, at least in that regard.
Theorist
#7 Old 23rd Apr 2022 at 1:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gargoyle Cat
Japan doesn't have a problem with using the word pine to describe plants.

Japanese black pine

(large Japanese ornamental having long needles in bunches of 2; widely planted in United States because of its resistance to salt and smog)

Japanese red pine

(pine native to Japan and Korea having a wide-spreading irregular crown when mature; grown as an ornamental)

https://www.audioenglish.org/dictionary/pine.htm

For shits and giggles it would be interesting to see if the game accepted either one of these. My idea is flawed from the start though as I can't try it. Both tree names have too many letters.


Not saying that it 8sn't silly, and I have no idea why "pine" would be a forbidden word, but your reasoning here is flawed.
Those are the English names of two Japanese plants.
Japanese people speaking their native language would call them "kuromatsu" "akamatsu".
Now matsu seems to translate to pine, but it's not the exact same word, is it?
Would be I teresting to see whether it'd alow matsu, or whether the problem is with the Japanese word and they just banned all translations of it to be safe?

Avatar by MasterRed
Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 23rd Apr 2022 at 5:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orphalesion
Not saying that it 8sn't silly, and I have no idea why "pine" would be a forbidden word, but your reasoning here is flawed.
Those are the English names of two Japanese plants.
Japanese people speaking their native language would call them "kuromatsu" "akamatsu".
Now matsu seems to translate to pine, but it's not the exact same word, is it?
Would be I teresting to see whether it'd alow matsu, or whether the problem is with the Japanese word and they just banned all translations of it to be safe?


I'm aware that people in Japan would use Japanese.

None of this is a big deal; it is just one of those annoying things. Instead of calling my island Pine Cove, I called it Cedar Cove instead.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 14th Jun 2022 at 10:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolspear1
It's Japanese, not Japonese.

The spellchecker on this site, when making the post here, should have highlighted that - As it just did for me. Though I cannot see how that is a banned, insulting word, not unless there is such a ye olde insult for Japanese. I've been around over fifty years and don't recall it. Perhaps the game's software is guessing you are trying to make a modern insult by "purposely" (not purposely in your case) misspelling it?

In other words, in its over-cautiousness, it's just telling you to get it right to avoid any backlash. Because in this day and age of the internet and endless online opinions, there will always be some eager SJW who'll jump on you and paint you as an evil racist mere minutes after you post your innocuous mistake.

OBEY the spellchecker.


Oh i know it was not spelled correctly dude lol

but yes 100% agree with this
Back to top