Locked thread | Replies: 22 (Who?), Viewed: 412 times.
just a girl
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Jul 2022 at 6:50 PM Last edited by Lamare : 13th Jul 2022 at 7:13 PM.
Default No Automatic Subscription to Threads?
There is an option that used to work for me:
Quote:
When you post a new thread, or reply to a topic, you can choose to automatically add that thread to your list of subscribed threads, with the option to receive email notification of new replies to that thread.

It was really helpful. But now I don't get automatically subscribed to threads I create. Is that by design?

As to when it started, I posted a couple of uploads last week and one WCIF thread today. Auto sub didn't work for any of them. Before that I haven't created new threads for a few months, I think, so I can't say more. I think it worked last year, but I'm not sure.

UPD. I did get subscribed to this thread... I swear it didn't work for uploads and WCIF thread earlier! OK, I might know what happened with the WCIF thread -- I've had the option temporarily set to email and now I went back to no email. But it doesn't explain why I didn't get subscribed to uploads.
Advertisement
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#2 Old 13th Jul 2022 at 7:34 PM
I turned off the auto-subscription to uploads recently (few days ago iirc) since that feature has been fairly worthless for uploads for years now in favour of the "My Feedback" page (which lists all of your uploads regardless of subscription status) and has much the same functionality as the subscribed threads does.

You can of course still subscribe to normal forum threads, just not uploads anymore.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
just a girl
Original Poster
#3 Old 13th Jul 2022 at 8:04 PM
I'd say it was pretty useful to me -- going to my Subscribed Threads was the first thing I did coming to MTS every now and then, to see what's new in both uploads and common threads I'm interested in. I'm glad you gave us an alternative, though. Thank you.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 1st Aug 2022 at 9:43 AM Last edited by Esmeralda : 6th Aug 2022 at 5:11 PM.
@Tashiketh

Hi there,

On this topic, I'm having issues with now looking at 'My Feedback' instead of 'Subscribed Threads' as I had always done to look at feedback on my creations. I find that it shows replies to creations by an old TS3 modding group I used to belong to (The Merrye Makers) that I asked you long ago to 'detach' me from because their creations were all showing up on my profile page (thank you for doing so). But now, in My Feedback, I've just had a new question: "So did anyone ever fix that protruding penis issue?" Er, what?? LOL. I never made anything that would have a protruding penis issue, ha ha. It turns out it's to do with a men's medieval hose item, which I thankfully had nothing to do with, from The Merrye Makers.

Can I be detached from The Merrye Makers as regards the My Feedback system also? (I must say that was good for a laugh, though!)

ETA: Ah, I see that as of this ETA, that comment is no longer appearing in My Feedback, so I guess I've now been detached from seeing the Merrye Makers comments? If so, thanks!
Banned
#5 Old 9th Aug 2022 at 11:27 PM Last edited by ScaryRob : 10th Aug 2022 at 4:36 AM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tashiketh
I turned off the auto-subscription to uploads recently (few days ago iirc) since that feature has been fairly worthless for uploads for years now in favour of the "My Feedback" page (which lists all of your uploads regardless of subscription status) and has much the same functionality as the subscribed threads does.

You can of course still subscribe to normal forum threads, just not uploads anymore.


Has it occurred to you that if a creator updates a creation and posts a comment to that effect in their upload thread, or if there is any other activity in the upload thread, that people who downloaded that creation in the past might want to be informed of the update and/or see any other related posts?
I don't know where or how you get the notion that this feature is "fairly worthless".
If a person downloads a creation, then they are by definition interested in said item and all information pertaining to it, so they should be subscribed by default. There is already a feature that allows people to unsubscribe from threads they are no longer interested in, it's called an Unsubscribe button, and it is located at the top of every thread.
Contrary to what you seem to have in your head, it doesn't get any simpler than that.

I read somewhere around here that you are the site owner. I'm curious, is this website a school project for you? Are you by any chance taking IT classes and are using this site to practice on? I ask because, during the past year or two, the way things work at this site have gone from an acceptable level to garbage. You seem to be bent on making this site as unintuitive as possible.

And I'm apparently not subscribed to this thread either, even though there's an Unsubscribe button showing at the top of the page. Makes no sense.
just a girl
Original Poster
#6 Old 10th Aug 2022 at 2:34 AM
ScaryRob,
I believe auto-sub to other peoples download threads still works if you posted a reply there. If you haven't commented, you won't get subbed and it was like this for as far as I can remember. For what it's worth, I like it, because if I got subscribed to every thread I download stuff from, my subscription tab would be clogged to the point of being "fairly worthless" If I posted, I might expect a reply, so I like being subscribed after my post. I may unsubscribe in a while if the thread is busy and I am no longer interested.

My initial problem was that auto-sub to my own uploads upon uploading them stopped being a thing. But I can still subscribe to them after.
Banned
#7 Old 10th Aug 2022 at 4:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamare
ScaryRob,
I believe auto-sub to other peoples download threads still works if you posted a reply there. If you haven't commented, you won't get subbed and it was like this for as far as I can remember. For what it's worth, I like it, because if I got subscribed to every thread I download stuff from, my subscription tab would be clogged to the point of being "fairly worthless" If I posted, I might expect a reply, so I like being subscribed after my post. I may unsubscribe in a while if the thread is busy and I am no longer interested.

My initial problem was that auto-sub to my own uploads upon uploading them stopped being a thing. But I can still subscribe to them after.

I understand all that, you didn't have to repeat what you wrote earlier.

I am not being auto-subscribed to upload comments that I have commented on.
Nor am I subscribed to this one for some reason. I have to check this thread "manually".

Every thread a person comments on, regardless of whether the thread is in a forum or an upload, should be auto-subscribed by default. If a person does not want that, there is an Unsubscribe button at the top of every thread page.
That is the way the entire internet works, and it's done so for a reason, because it makes the most sense.

Additionally, every creator should be auto-subscribed to their upload comments section, even if they haven't actually commented. They are there, after all, to answer questions.
just a girl
Original Poster
#8 Old 10th Aug 2022 at 6:35 AM
Well, auto-sub works for me, so either you are experiencing a bug, or your settings are wrong. Edit Options -> Default Thread Subscription Mode -> No Email Notification.

I get your point that everything should be intuitive by default, but it is what it is, and at least we have options to make it more like we want it.
Banned
#9 Old 10th Aug 2022 at 8:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamare
Edit Options -> Default Thread Subscription Mode -> No Email Notification.

Those are my settings, and always have been.
You know how long I've been here, I made a TS2 version of your "Nerd's Place" Lot, way back in 2015.
I dunno, maybe it's my Win7 running Chrome that's no longer working properly, but I frankly doubt it since I'm not having any issues at any other sites.
Be like the 22nd elephant with heated value in space, bark!
retired moderator
#10 Old 10th Aug 2022 at 10:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryRob
I read somewhere around here that you are the site owner. I'm curious, is this website a school project for you? Are you by any chance taking IT classes and are using this site to practice on? I ask because, during the past year or two, the way things work at this site have gone from an acceptable level to garbage. You seem to be bent on making this site as unintuitive as possible.

That's really rude; @Tashiketh has been coding this site since 2004 and listens to suggestions from users. If you have a suggestion, you can make a thread and ask nicely and if it is possible and useful, it will usually be implemented. Making snide comments is really not useful, and not polite either. Tashiketh used to go by the username Delphy which is how you may remember him. He codes this site in his spare time, it's not his full time job.

I will choose a path that's clear- I will choose free will
-RUSH- -RADIO- -EON- -ARCHIVES-
Simpeople and Me Archive- -11Dots Archive- My Sims World Archive
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#11 Old 10th Aug 2022 at 1:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryRob
Has it occurred to you that if a creator updates a creation and posts a comment to that effect in their upload thread, or if there is any other activity in the upload thread, that people who downloaded that creation in the past might want to be informed of the update and/or see any other related posts?


That is what Download History is for, with a filterable column.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#12 Old 10th Aug 2022 at 4:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryRob
I understand all that, you didn't have to repeat what you wrote earlier.

I am not being auto-subscribed to upload comments that I have commented on.
Nor am I subscribed to this one for some reason. I have to check this thread "manually".

Every thread a person comments on, regardless of whether the thread is in a forum or an upload, should be auto-subscribed by default. If a person does not want that, there is an Unsubscribe button at the top of every thread page.
That is the way the entire internet works, and it's done so for a reason, because it makes the most sense.

Additionally, every creator should be auto-subscribed to their upload comments section, even if they haven't actually commented. They are there, after all, to answer questions.


The functionality of auto subscribing to threads after commenting has not changed - the only thing that changed was to no longer subscribe to uploads specifically when submitting them through the wizard. This is the reason this thread was created, if you read the first post.

Complaining about thread subscriptions not working is another issue since you also seem to have issues with this thread which is obviously not an upload.

If you want to subscribe automatically then you can - you just choose it in Edit Options. Works fine.

I don't appreciate comments like you made. Just because you personally think it should be one way doesn't mean it should be that way. There's really no issue here - it's working as intended.

Edit to add: I just selected "No email notification" in the Subscription dropdown while replying, and it did in fact subscribe me to this thread perfectly fine.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#13 Old 10th Aug 2022 at 4:33 PM
Testing 1 2 3.

Edit to add: Yup, setting the automatic subscription to No email in the User options also works fine. I don't really see the issue here. You can subscribe individually if you want per reply or you can set it on a global level. Both work fine and neither have changed in many years, as others have also pointed out.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Banned
#14 Old 10th Aug 2022 at 7:38 PM
Here are my options settings pertaining to thread subscriptions:



Anything wrong with this?
I'm curious why it says, "...you can choose to automatically add that thread to your list of subscribed threads...", because there is no "choice". It simply says, "Default Thread Subscription Mode". There is no choice of any other mode, nor is there a check box.

And I'm still not subscribed to this thread, even though there is an Unsubscribe button at the top of the page:

Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#15 Old 10th Aug 2022 at 8:15 PM Last edited by Tashiketh : 10th Aug 2022 at 8:28 PM.
Quote:
I'm curious why it says, "...you can choose to automatically add that thread to your list of subscribed threads...", because there is no "choice". It simply says, "Default Thread Subscription Mode". There is no choice of any other mode, nor is there a check box.


There, is in the Go Advanced post (not in quick reply)

Quote:
And I'm still not subscribed to this thread, even though there is an Unsubscribe button at the top of the page:


You are though. The database says you (and I, and Lamare) are all subscribed to this thread. The fact that you see the Unsubscribe button says that you are subscribed. So the issue isn't that you aren't subscribed, or that it doesn't work.

Edit: After some digging into how many threads you are subscribed to, I noted that you had 547 thread subscriptions. The code for the User Control Panel (which has NOT CHANGED IN DECADES and is in fact part of the original software) has a limit of 250 thread subscriptions. This is why you didn't see this specific thread, because it was above the 250 limit. I have now removed this limit.

With that said, you would have been able to see the subscription if you had gone to the Subscription manager (aka https://modthesims.info/subscriptio...iewsubscription ) since that does not have the limit.

So at the end of the day... you where in fact subscribed. To all the threads you wanted. It just that a specific page in the UserCP wasn't showing it, but the actual page with the subscriptions was. But hey, if you want 547 different rows on that page... go you.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Banned
#16 Old 11th Aug 2022 at 12:21 AM Last edited by ScaryRob : 11th Aug 2022 at 3:59 AM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tashiketh
Edit: After some digging into how many threads you are subscribed to, I noted that you had 547 thread subscriptions. The code for the User Control Panel (which has NOT CHANGED IN DECADES and is in fact part of the original software) has a limit of 250 thread subscriptions. This is why you didn't see this specific thread, because it was above the 250 limit. I have now removed this limit.

Okay then, it was not my fault.
Never before had this problem at any other website, and I've been online since 1992, before the internet was even called the internet.
So will this "fix" only affect me, or is it for the entire site?

Quote:
With that said, you would have been able to see the subscription if you had gone to the Subscription manager (aka https://modthesims.info/subscriptio...iewsubscription ) since that does not have the limit.

Would have, could have...
The fact of the matter is that my User Control Panel did not show my subscriptions, and the CP is what I click on to see those. Do you know why I click on that? Because it makes the most sense and is the most intuitive. It is physically closest to that little round icon at the top right corner that opens all the options. And why wouldn't or shouldn't a User Control Panel show every thread a user has participated in? Isn't that the very definition of a User Control Panel? It is at every other website I've ever been to in the last 25+ years.
Take a look at anyone else's number of subscriptions that has been here as long as I have and is reasonably active and you will see that their total subscription count will also be in the hundreds, if not the thousands.
What a pathetic, ridiculous argument.

The Subscribed Threads link, on the other hand, is at the very bottom of that list, under the heading of "Other". Why on earth would someone want to look under a heading of "Other" just to see responses to the recent threads they've participated in?

Quote:
So at the end of the day... you where in fact subscribed. To all the threads you wanted. It just that a specific page in the UserCP wasn't showing it, but the actual page with the subscriptions was. But hey, if you want 547 different rows on that page... go you.

You're making it sound like the fault was mine, because I was subscribed to 547 threads, implying I did that deliberately, when you know very well that there are only a small handful of the most recent ones that are active. Nobody at any website looks over all of the many threads they are subscribed to every time they visit, that's just an absurd notion and you are not going to pass this screw up off on me.
Actually, you should be thanking me for pointing you in the direction for fixing this screw up, but you know what, don't bother.

The screw up is due to the excessive compartmentalization of this entire website, something that has been pointed out to you by others, not just me. You're constantly changing things around, not realizing that by changing something in one corner of the site, it might affect something in another corner, which was obviously the case this time.

The Garden of Shadows website suffers from the same excessive compartmentalization, although thankfully they don't have an upload section there to really screw things up. Regardless, I do a better , clearer, and more concise job of listing my uploads in a simple discussion thread over there than you folks do here with all of your useless and endless clicking all over the place.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#17 Old 11th Aug 2022 at 6:45 AM
So you still didn’t apologize and are blaming a screw up on me, for something that was part of the original software installed in 2004 and was never changed? Nice logic there.

Maybe you should just go to garden of shadows since you obviously like that site more.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#18 Old 11th Aug 2022 at 6:49 AM
Changed thread category to Solved/Answered
Locked thread
Back to top