Replies: 19 (Who?), Viewed: 636 times.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Aug 2022 at 9:07 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default The Sims 2 crashing after(?) neighborhood selection (Win10)
Hi, I'm trying to make TS2UC (from Origin) work, and I just don't see this issue listed anywhere - although I've tried as many fixes as I could find and understand. So, I did change the config, and I did do the 4gb patch, so far so good, I can now get to the neighborhood selection screen - but as soon as I try to load past that, it doesn't allow me to. It will go through the different "preparation" phases, like saying it's generating pets, if I choose a neighborhood that I haven't previously selected, but after that, it will crash. Selecting the same neighborhood more than once results in a much quicker crash, so it apparently remembers having done this before. I've downloaded some mods, but whether I turn them on or off, it makes no difference. I've also repaired the files and done everything again, but the exact same thing happens. I have also tried running in compatibility mode (every option on the list,) and running as admin in each case, the only time the game even launched was when I selected Windows 8. So I sort of suspect my GPU might be to blame here, and that's something that is way above my pay grade. However, I also haven't seen anyone mention this particular issue, and I'm not having any flashing, purple anything, and the game does launch as far as the neighborhood screen, the 4gb patch did work - so I feel stuck. Does anybody have advice? I'll list my system specs below. Any help would be appreciated.

Wiindows 10 Pro
AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
64GB ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
Driver version 512.15

If I can give you any more information, please let me know, and feel free to link me to other threads, I apologize if I missed something relevant.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 7th Aug 2022 at 10:30 PM
Compatibility mode doesn't play well with the 4GB patch, so ideally you'd want to not use any modes.

Can you post your config-log file from the Logs folder? (or the info from "Application info" down to "Global properties", the info below Global properties isn't really necessary to know). It shows some info regarding whether your graphic card and the 4GB fix are enabled properly, plus a few other things.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#3 Old 7th Aug 2022 at 11:01 PM
Compatibility mode removes the 4 gb patch.

You will need to put on the patch again and check that it is on by loading up. If you can drop the config-log.txt file it writes to on load up in here it will let us know if that is on and if the game sees your graphic card. You will find the file in Your Documents, The Sims 2, Logs folder.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 7th Aug 2022 at 11:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmer22
Compatibility mode doesn't play well with the 4GB patch, so ideally you'd want to not use any modes.

Can you post your config-log file from the Logs folder? (or the info from "Application info" down to "Global properties", the info below Global properties isn't really necessary to know). It shows some info regarding whether your graphic card and the 4GB fix are enabled properly, plus a few other things.


I will absolutely attach them. The config file isn't right, which isn't surprising since I did all of the compatibility modes, but the game wouldn't launch at all before I did the 4gb patch - now it does, at least, launch? so it seems like *something* happened? Gosh this is confusing. Thanks for answering so quickly, this has been driving me bonkers.

Config:

Log generated on 8/7/2022, 13:01

=== Application info ===
Name: The Sims 2 EP9
Version: 1.17.0.66
Build: ReleaseSRT
=== Machine info ===
OS version: Windows NT 6.2
CPU: 5170.199707Mhz, Name:AuthenticAMD, FPU:1, MMX:1
Memory: 1024MB
Free memory: 1024MB
User: (me)
Computer: DESKTOP-PMVG8Q0
=== Sound device info ===
Name: Unknown
Driver: Unknown
=== Graphics device info ===
Number: 0
Name (driver): NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
Name (database): NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti <<NOT FOUND IN DATABASE!>>
Vendor: NVIDIA
Chipset: Vendor: 10de, Device: 2489, Board: 88291043, Chipset: 00a1
Driver: nvldumd.dll, Version: 30.0.15.1215, GUID: D7B71E3E-67C9-11CF-4C77-26A80EC2D335
Driver version: 1215
Monitor: \\.\DISPLAY1
Monitor aspect: 1.775919, 16:9
Screen mode: 1920x1080x32BPP,60Hz
Texture memory: 32MB
HW T&L: Fixed function:1 Programmable:3.0
Pixel program: 3.0
Texture stages: 8
AppControlledAA: 1
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 7th Aug 2022 at 11:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joandsarah77
Compatibility mode removes the 4 gb patch.

You will need to put on the patch again and check that it is on by loading up. If you can drop the config-log.txt file it writes to on load up in here it will let us know if that is on and if the game sees your graphic card. You will find the file in Your Documents, The Sims 2, Logs folder.


Oop thanks look up ^ I don't think it's recognizing my graphics card. Nooooo idea what to do about that. This is what I get for finally replacing my trusty ol' windows 7 dinosaur. Facepalm.
Instructor
#6 Old 8th Aug 2022 at 12:37 AM
The log shows your computer as having only 1GB of memory. That's pushing the lower limits of what is recommended to run the game. You listed your computer as having 64GB so that's a bit of a mystery as well.

All of my Conversions, Creations and Stories may be found here:
HobbesED's Conversions and Creations

My most recently shared items (with pictures) may also be found here:
HobbesED's Dreamwidth

Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 8th Aug 2022 at 12:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobbesED
The log shows your computer as having only 1GB of memory. That's pushing the lower limits of what is recommended to run the game. You listed your computer as having 64GB so that's a bit of a mystery as well.


Yeah, 64 plus whatever my GPU has on it... computer works fine running TS3 with all expansions and tons of mods, plus other even more intensive games. But TS2 is beyond its capabilities
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 8th Aug 2022 at 12:58 AM
Ok, here's what I'm going to do, fresh install and then post a fresh log, see what it says. Maybe something got messed up by running in compatibility mode.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 8th Aug 2022 at 1:09 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 8th Aug 2022 at 1:20 AM.
Reinstalling probably won't help.
Running in Compatibility mode shouldn't be able to ruin anything. It's just a setting that can be easily undone.

Have you edited GraphicRules and the VideoCard files so your game recognizes your graphic card? That's probably the issue here. You can do it manually, but there's also the GRM program:
https://www.simsnetwork.com/tools/graphics-rules-maker

When the game doesn't recognize the card, it defaults to the worst/lowest settings for memory and all that, which usually happens when you've got one of the new, fancy cards nowadays (Nvidia 1000 and above series is pretty much a given). Your game is only recognizing 1024 MB memory and 32 mb for texture memory, which is pretty much a dead giveaway for that one.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 8th Aug 2022 at 1:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmer22
Reinstalling probably won't help.

Have you edited GraphicRules and the VideoCard files so your game recognizes your graphic card? That's probably the issue here. You can do it manually, but there's also the GRM program:
https://www.simsnetwork.com/tools/graphics-rules-maker

When the game doesn't recognize the card, it defaults to the worst/lowest settings for memory and all that, which usually happens when you've got one of the new, fancy cards nowadays (Nvidia 1000 and above series is pretty much a given).


Hmmm, I haven't, but I will try it. I'm a bit of a scatterbrain, so hopefully it won't hurt too much xD New install done, numbers are back to normal again, hopefully everything has reset, so I can try to solve this. @_@ well, at least it's something to do, eh? Thanks a lot for helping me out :3
Mad Poster
#11 Old 8th Aug 2022 at 1:20 AM
It's also possible the 4GB patch didn't stick properly. If you've installed the game in the C: drive/ProgramFiles location, and after fixing your game still gets 2048 GB memory, try copying the game EXE to your desktop, running the patch on it, then moving it back and overwriting the other one. If you're running CDs, make sure it's the Sims2EP(number).exe file, and not the launcher file.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 8th Aug 2022 at 1:32 AM
ahhhhhh update... I ran the graphics rules maker, did the 4gb patch and all, now when I try to launch the game, I get asked if I want the program to be allowed to make changes, but nothing launches whatsoever. Here's my new config file.

Log generated on 8/7/2022, 20:11

=== Application info ===
Name: The Sims 2 EP9
Version: 1.17.0.66
Build: ReleaseSRT
=== Machine info ===
OS version: Windows NT 6.2
CPU: 5170.199707Mhz, Name:AuthenticAMD, FPU:1, MMX:1
Memory: 4096MB
Free memory: 4096MB
User: (me)
Computer: DESKTOP-PMVG8Q0
=== Sound device info ===
Name: Unknown
Driver: Unknown
=== Graphics device info ===
Number: 0
Name (driver): NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
Name (database): NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti <<NOT FOUND IN DATABASE!>>
Vendor: NVIDIA
Chipset: Vendor: 10de, Device: 2489, Board: 88291043, Chipset: 00a1
Driver: nvldumd.dll, Version: 30.0.15.1215, GUID: D7B71E3E-67C9-11CF-4C77-26A80EC2D335
Driver version: 1215
Monitor: \\.\DISPLAY1
Monitor aspect: 1.775919, 16:9
Screen mode: 1920x1080x32BPP,60Hz
Texture memory: 32MB
HW T&L: Fixed function:1 Programmable:3.0
Pixel program: 3.0
Texture stages: 8
AppControlledAA: 1

And the weird thing is, the graphicrules program added my gpu, it still says it's in the database, and it DEFINITELY changed something, because again, this time I'm having a totally different launch issue. I double checked, and the file path in graphicrules is correct, so I don't understand the discrepancy here.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 8th Aug 2022 at 1:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmer22
It's also possible the 4GB patch didn't stick properly. If you've installed the game in the C: drive/ProgramFiles location, and after fixing your game still gets 2048 GB memory, try copying the game EXE to your desktop, running the patch on it, then moving it back and overwriting the other one. If you're running CDs, make sure it's the Sims2EP(number).exe file, and not the launcher file.


Will this still work if it's on a different drive? My C drive is really only for my OS, everything else is on a separate drive.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 8th Aug 2022 at 2:56 AM
Sure, but the issue where the patch won't stick is usually only a problem on the C drive, due to Windows protecting the ProgramFiles folder.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 8th Aug 2022 at 3:51 AM
It still wouldn't stick, so I'm just reinstalling it on my C drive in case that's somehow the issue in any way. But a friend and I were looking at it and it isn't recognizing any audio drivers, I sent her a (really awful) picture of the error code, which apparently *might* be a sound driver error? Is that a thing?

Currently only screaming *inside* my head so I think we're ok so far ^_^; ahhaha....... ha....

Ok so update, I am now back to getting as far as trying to load into a neighborhood before it dies on me

Update 2: nevermind. It launched once, and now it asks if I want to allow it to make changes, I click yes, and then origin pops back up. *Problem with run as administrator
Mad Poster
#16 Old 8th Aug 2022 at 12:36 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 8th Aug 2022 at 12:59 PM.
If you mean the "AudioErrors" log file, don't worry about it. That one is common (I have it too, never caused any issues for me, even though the error file looks like a nightmare - my game has sound and plays it fine), so I don't think that's something you need to worry about.

When you install on the C-drive, it prompts you for admin rights every time you want to make any changes to the install files. If you don't want to be bothered with that, it's probably best to have the game installed somewhere else.

Just keep in mind that reinstalling your game multiple times can occasionally cause issues with the install itself, so first try to fix the issues with the install you have (when the install files are where you want them to be). The issues you have are most likely a problem with your game and the graphic card not talking to each other, and the amount of memory not being recognized. These things are NOT fixed by reinstalling, but by fixing the settings for the game.

TS2's last updated list of graphic card was in 2009-ish, so it won't recognize one from 2020-ish. It thinks the card is a crappy one, and defaults to the lowest settings available, meaning it can barely access any memory. You have to allow the game settings to use more memory, or it's just going to crash. The 4GB patch is only going to help when the settings are fixed.

(You don't need to reinstall every time you want to reset anything. Just copy the files you want to edit, paste them to a folder on your desktop, keep them there as a backup in case things go wrong with the edited files, and if it does, just replace them witht he backup. Saves you from reinstalling just for a file or two that went bad).

Plenty of us have had these exact issues in recent years (as evidenced by the help section).
Test Subject
Original Poster
#17 Old 8th Aug 2022 at 1:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmer22
If you mean the "AudioErrors" log file, don't worry about it. That one is common (I have it too, never caused any issues for me, even though the error file looks like a nightmare - my game has sound and plays it fine), so I don't think that's something you need to worry about.

When you install on the C-drive, it prompts you for admin rights every time you want to make any changes to the install files. If you don't want to be bothered with that, it's probably best to have the game installed somewhere else.

Just keep in mind that reinstalling your game multiple times can occasionally cause issues with the install itself, so first try to fix the issues with the install you have (when the install files are where you want them to be). The issues you have are most likely a problem with your game and the graphic card not talking to each other, and the amount of memory not being recognized. These things are NOT fixed by reinstalling, but by fixing the settings for the game.

TS2's last updated list of graphic card was in 2009-ish, so it won't recognize one from 2020-ish. It thinks the card is a crappy one, and defaults to the lowest settings available, meaning it can barely access any memory. You have to allow the game settings to use more memory, or it's just going to crash. The 4GB patch is only going to help when the settings are fixed.

(You don't need to reinstall every time you want to reset anything. Just copy the files you want to edit, paste them to a folder on your desktop, keep them there as a backup in case things go wrong with the edited files, and if it does, just replace them witht he backup. Saves you from reinstalling just for a file or two that went bad).

Plenty of us have had these exact issues in recent years (as evidenced by the help section).


I see, that does make sense. Do you happen to have a link handy to an explainer post on how to do a manual fix for this? I did look, but might have missed it. Sorry. Haven't gotten much sleep lately, I'm a lot more derpy than usual.

I really appreciate you sticking with me through this thread. Having my sims back would really mean a lot to me. I think my brain needs some time off. Next time, must remember to have my game working *before* I burn out. I don't know why but sims 3 just doesn't have that cozy feeling like 2 does.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 8th Aug 2022 at 3:06 PM
Using the GRM is the easiest. I can't find a good tutorial on how to fix these settings manually (would like to find one, though - can only find on editing a couple other things in the GR file). The GRM should be able to detect everything you need, and follow the guide on the site I linked above. Tick the "Disable texture memory estimate adjustment" box to not get pink-flashing soup, and tick "Enable Driver's memory manager". Both should help with the stability of the game.

Another thing you can try is to go to your Nvidia settings and change it to detect your game. It tends to work, but I've had some mixed results with this on my old laptop (I didn't do GraphicRules there). On occasion my computer/game would act as if the card wasn't available, and throw the game into low settings again, so in my experience going through GraphicRules is more stable.
https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=481768
Test Subject
Original Poster
#19 Old 8th Aug 2022 at 7:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmer22
Using the GRM is the easiest. I can't find a good tutorial on how to fix these settings manually (would like to find one, though - can only find on editing a couple other things in the GR file). The GRM should be able to detect everything you need, and follow the guide on the site I linked above. Tick the "Disable texture memory estimate adjustment" box to not get pink-flashing soup, and tick "Enable Driver's memory manager". Both should help with the stability of the game.

Another thing you can try is to go to your Nvidia settings and change it to detect your game. It tends to work, but I've had some mixed results with this on my old laptop (I didn't do GraphicRules there). On occasion my computer/game would act as if the card wasn't available, and throw the game into low settings again, so in my experience going through GraphicRules is more stable.
https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=481768

Okay. I redid ALL THIS STUFF on the C drive and somehow it worked you guys are absolute heroes, thank you sooooooo much! I guess it just didn't want to live on my D drive at all. Lesson learned. Thank you and thanks to everyone who helped me out! ^_^
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#20 Old 9th Aug 2022 at 12:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsloth
Okay. I redid ALL THIS STUFF on the C drive and somehow it worked you guys are absolute heroes, thank you sooooooo much! I guess it just didn't want to live on my D drive at all. Lesson learned. Thank you and thanks to everyone who helped me out! ^_^


I was coming to say they are not working but looks like you got things fixed?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Back to top