Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Nov 2020 at 12:34 PM Last edited by kesanmits48 : 12th Nov 2020 at 9:42 AM.
Default Sims 4 question
I have played all versions of the sims, but i put off buying sims 4 for a long time until recently and now that I'm getting used to it, I just wanted clarification on one glaring difference between this game and all the others: is there really no goals and/or desires for sims anymore? I know there are lifetime goals and career goals, but there has always been like an in the moment few things your sim was desiring and you could do it and get points, with which you could buy cool stuff. Is that aspect of the game seriously gone or am I missing something? More to my real question and point, if this isn't part of the game anymore, what am I even doing? What am I working towards? I used to try to achieve as many of those as possible which kept my sims very busy. Now I just go to work and....yeah. just kind of wanted to see what others thought of this.
https://19216801.onl/ https://routerlogin.uno/ https://192168ll.link/
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 11th Nov 2020 at 1:58 PM
Everyone plays differently. Personally, I control over 400+ sims which yes is crazy and an invitation for disaster, but I enjoy the Authorial, distant, omniscient view where I'm sort of narrating and directing multiple lives and generations of one small town. Something like SimCity, but zoomed way in. And I can listen to podcasts or watch sci-fi re-runs while halfway playing.

If you want to live fabulously as just one Sim, the game does allow that, but there's also things like Second Life which are fun too.
Field Researcher
#3 Old 11th Nov 2020 at 5:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kesanmits48
but there has always been like an in the moment few things your sim was desiring and you could do it and get points, with which you could buy cool stuff.

That would be "whims". They are much smaller and more random than the counterpart from Sims3 for example, but they are there. Check your settings, you might have turned them off.

Other than that, no, Sims4 is really empty, like the others have said. You have to make a lot of things up your self.
Myself, I miss the skill achievements from Sims3, that there were goals other than just reaching the top level.

I use Sims 4 for building, I think the building mechanics in this game is far superior, but I soooo wish I could combine Sims4 building with Sims3 playing. That would be my ultimate Sims-game.
Scholar
#4 Old 11th Nov 2020 at 7:01 PM
To be precise, the whims are in Game Options under Gameplay and they turn them off by default. I was looking for them too because I kept seeing them be mentioned: but so far they've seemed like a pain to me. Many are even stupider than the wants in Sims 3, inappropriate or impossible or ridiculously petty, and often contrary to what I want to do. BUT try them yourself, because I can tell my play style is really different from yours (I want less goal oriented stuff pushed from the game, not more). I had to turn off all the Holidays, for example, because they just imposed more impossible goals on my already overworked sims. For you, they might be perfect! If you have Seasons, you can add more holidays, and set their activities, by clicking on the tiny calendar at the bottom left section of the screen. If you invite other sims to do things with you, you can turn every time you leave the house into a goaled event too. If you get Parenthood, there's some nice new interactions, and every single one of them is part of a point-harvbesting scheme for both children and parents. If you get Get Together, your opportunities for goaled interactions increase mightily.
Instructor
#5 Old 11th Nov 2020 at 8:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sonyablue
Everyone plays differently. Personally, I control over 400+ sims which yes is crazy and an invitation for disaster, but I enjoy the Authorial, distant, omniscient view where I'm sort of narrating and directing multiple lives and generations of one small town. Something like SimCity, but zoomed way in. And I can listen to podcasts or watch sci-fi re-runs while halfway playing.

If you want to live fabulously as just one Sim, the game does allow that, but there's also things like Second Life which are fun too.

I'm so glad someone plays the same way as I try to do. I've only got to about 250 Sims in one game and working up to that on others as I'm not sure if my laptop can manage more. I've always thought of it as trying to emulate SimCity4 in some way, controlling communities not just one Sim family and that was my all time favourite Sims game.
Forum Resident
#6 Old 11th Nov 2020 at 8:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sonyablue

Wait, they're all in your active family?
Field Researcher
#7 Old 12th Nov 2020 at 3:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Gargoyle Cat
I don't consider being told 'serve salad' or 'go on a date' or whatever to be goals.

Nah, I don't consider them goals either, I just told TS about the whims system, because it was asked for in the original post.

I think the whims, and aspirations, are very dissatisfying, same with skills. It's just way too easy, and way too flat.