Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 31st Jan 2023 at 8:09 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Select anything in Buy mode and the game Crashes
As it says in the title. I can't find a thread with a solution that works for me anywhere and I'm getting depserate.

I recently installed sims 2 on a new computer. I did the 4GB patch, installed GraphicRuleMaker and weeded out my CC. Game was working fine (eventually) and then the next day it didn't. Random items in Buy Mode now cause my game to crash, and it's not just CC. It does it with base game items as well. It also doesn't crash when browsing through the Buy categories; only specifically when I select an item. Funny enough, most of my dining chairs are fine but lounge chairs, book cases, fireplaces and tables have so far proven to be danger zones.
There was no new CC installed between when it was still working and when it was getting crappy on me.
I've tried several things already, including using dxvk to increase texture memory, removing my last installed CC just in case, re-installing Graphics Rule Maker but nothing works.

Only thing maybe noteworthy is the last build I worked on had a crapload of the same items (I was making a very cluttery bookshop, so a lot of book items were strewn about and there were a whole heap of the same base game bookcase cramped in one lot, and almost nothing was placed on the grid as I tend to play with snapobjectstogrid false at an almost default state... but that never has been a problem before...?) And the problem persists on every lot, even in different neighborhoods.

I got myself a brand new sparkly computer especially to improve my Simming but I can't now for weeks Someone please help! TeamView into my computer if you have to... I just need to get it working!
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 31st Jan 2023 at 9:28 PM
Check whether you have an antivirus program scanning or quarantining your game install files. It sounds like the gamedata files are incomplete, which could happen if another program is trying to read them, or has removed them, when the game is trying to use them.
Otherwise, drag your Documents/ Sims 2 folder to the desktop and run the game to create a new set. Does it work then?
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#3 Old 31st Jan 2023 at 9:30 PM
When you weeded out your cc you didn't by chance delete a default in game?

I would try forcing the game to make a new Sims 2 folder. So under documents find your Sims 2 folder, right click it and add a word or number onto the end of its name. Load your game. This will make you a fresh vanilla game. See how it plays. Try adding things back in slowly not all at once. It could be some odd piece of CC or it could be say a camera you downloaded or something else.

Placing off grid is fine.

Also ^^^ check that you don't have onedrive trying to sync your files as well. Disable or uninstall it.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#4 Old 31st Jan 2023 at 9:37 PM
Also delete the accessory.cache and Groups.cache files. If you remove a lot of CC files, these two files can make your game either crash, not start, or misbehave.

It's possible the game is crashing in the middle of generating thumbnail files for recolors, which can be a RAM/memory issue, especially if the 4GB patch isn't properly applied or if there's soething off with the settings in the GRM. You can also see if using the Memory Allocation Fix helps.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 1st Feb 2023 at 11:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Also delete the accessory.cache and Groups.cache files. If you remove a lot of CC files, these two files can make your game either crash, not start, or misbehave.

It's possible the game is crashing in the middle of generating thumbnail files for recolors, which can be a RAM/memory issue, especially if the 4GB patch isn't properly applied or if there's soething off with the settings in the GRM. You can also see if using the Memory Allocation Fix helps.

I standardly delete my cache files before I start a game

Can you tell me more about that memory allocation fix? I'm afraid I'm not famillair with that one. And can you walk me through checking the GRM?

I'm the kind of person who just throws stuff at my game in the hopes that it works, going off what other people tell me to do on the internet so yes I have all these fixes but no I have no clue how to work them xD
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 1st Feb 2023 at 12:14 PM
I just started my game after disabling OneDrive and to safeguard some lots and thought I'd give Buy Mode a go just for kicks. To my grand suprise, buy mode suddenly works fine. But then I wanted to load up that bookshop lot again and it crashed on loading. The problem seems to be coming form all sides somehow :s
Mad Poster
#7 Old 1st Feb 2023 at 4:22 PM
Memory allocation - https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=610641 (setup in the video)

Do you have your game installed in the default Program Files location, or somewhere else? If you have it there, sometimes you need to make sure fixes like the GRM and 4GB really get applied, because even if you edit and save the files in the external programs, Windows will protect the files and not actually save the changes due to needing admin privilegies. The easiest way around this issue (after making a backup of the original files) is to save the edited files to the desktop and then move/replace them to the folder, clicking "yes" to the "are you sure?" admin prompts.

Could also be helpful if you uploaded your "(ComputerName)-config-log" file (in Documents location, game folder, "Logs" folder. It tells if your 4GB file has been applied properly, if your game reads your graphic card, and various other info.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 1st Feb 2023 at 6:54 PM
Memory allocation - https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=610641 (setup in the video)

Do you have your game installed in the default Program Files location, or somewhere else? If you have it there, sometimes you need to make sure fixes like the GRM and 4GB really get applied, because even if you edit and save the files in the external programs, Windows will protect the files and not actually save the changes due to needing admin privilegies. The easiest way around this issue (after making a backup of the original files) is to save the edited files to the desktop and then move/replace them to the folder, clicking "yes" to the "are you sure?" admin prompts.

Could also be helpful if you uploaded your "(ComputerName)-config-log" file (in Documents location, game folder, "Logs" folder. It tells if your 4GB file has been applied properly, if your game reads your graphic card, and various other info.

My config file neatly states the correct 4096MB on memory. I also just sat through all 15 minutes of that just to find out that any Empty Standby List programm won't run on my pc.

You also lost me a bit on which edited files you're talking about. Move what exactly from where to where?
And yes, i do have it installed in the default Program Files.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 1st Feb 2023 at 8:09 PM
Did you follow the setup in the video? There's a file you'll have to download, too.

If the log file has the correct memory info and the graphicRules file has the correct date/time stamp of when you edited it last, then it likely isn't an issue. It's only something you need to check if you notice that the changes you make to files in the game install folder (Program Files location) aren't applying properly.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 1st Feb 2023 at 8:17 PM
Did you follow the setup in the video? There's a file you'll have to download, too.

I have. It directs me to a link from a reddit page to the the site which should have the Empty Standby List program, but that link is broken. I tried downloading that program via other websites but my computer refuses to do anything with it. Tried several sources, but it just won't open. The instructions in that video were mostly about this program, so that's a dead end for me.

Anything else that video suggested only had to do with checking if the 4gb patch was installed correctly, and where to download it if that wasn't the case. But like i said, the 4gb patch should be okay.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 1st Feb 2023 at 8:24 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 1st Feb 2023 at 8:42 PM.
Digi uploaded the file here, and there's also a written tutorial here with that same link added.

---

In the GRM, do you have 4 or 6 tick boxes in a downward row on the first page of options? Just wondering, because the oldest version deleted a line int eh GraphicRules, and this could cause a lot of issues with memory/pink-flashing/crashing. The newest version has 6 boxes - if you downloaded after April-21 at https://www.simsnetwork.com/tools/graphics-rules-maker you should have the newest one (the UI should look like the pictures posted there).
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 2nd Feb 2023 at 2:17 PM
Digi uploaded the file here, and there's also a written tutorial here with that same link added.

---

In the GRM, do you have 4 or 6 tick boxes in a downward row on the first page of options? Just wondering, because the oldest version deleted a line int eh GraphicRules, and this could cause a lot of issues with memory/pink-flashing/crashing. The newest version has 6 boxes - if you downloaded after April-21 at https://www.simsnetwork.com/tools/graphics-rules-maker you should have the newest one (the UI should look like the pictures posted there).

I downloaded it last month so I have the new version with 6 boxes. The funny thing is that every time I open GRM it first gives me a prompt asking me if i want to uninstall the version I already -presumably - have before installing this one. The only options here are uninstall, cancell or install. I click 'instal' for obvious reasons and then it turns into an install wizard that I have to complete before opening it. It does this every time, no matter if I have installed it before or not.

But anyway, once opened it only has boxes 2 and 3 ticked, so that would be 'Enable Driver's Memory Manager' and 'Disable Sim Shadows.'

The top most box however says 'disable texture memory estimate adjustment' and it feels like i gotta do something with that....?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 4th Feb 2023 at 12:38 PM

---

Finally got around to properly install the EmtpyStandbyList. Followed the instructions carefully and yesterday I had around 4 hours of unhindered Simming bliss before it went down on me again. Tried again today and this time it crashed after no less than 15 minutes.

What am I doing wrong?
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#14 Old 4th Feb 2023 at 2:41 PM
In GRM you should be ticking box 1 and 2. The third is optional, but if you do that you lose all sim shadows. Keep it unticked and it can be fixed with a mod by Nopke.

You may need to do the 50/50 if the crashing is happening in buy mode. The randomness suggests it's cc.

I think it may be helpful to post some system specs.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 4th Feb 2023 at 2:53 PM
Try ticking the 'disable texture memory estimate adjustment' box in GRM too. That's the line that used to cause issues with the old version, and ticking it might help on the crashing situation.

I fixed it manually (before the GRM fix existed), and my game went from a complete pink-soup crashing hell to being quite stable.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 4th Feb 2023 at 3:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
In GRM you should be ticking box 1 and 2. The third is optional, but if you do that you lose all sim shadows. Keep it unticked and it can be fixed with a mod by Nopke.

You may need to do the 50/50 if the crashing is happening in buy mode. The randomness suggests it's cc.

I think it may be helpful to post some system specs.

Specs:
Processor: AMD Ryzen5
Graphics card: AMD Radeon RX Vega 7
Memory: 16GB

I already checked my CC and that isn't it. I know from previous playthroughs that my current CC is bug-free and the problem also presents itself when i click base game items that don't even have custom recolors attached to it.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#17 Old 5th Feb 2023 at 1:31 PM
Default MTS2 Staff Reply
  • General - Post System Specs
    We need more information before we can help with your issue.
    • Please post a Quick summary of your System Specs
      Instructions on finding them are here: Game Help:System Specswiki.
    • Please post your config-log located here: <username>\Documents\EA Games\<game version>\Logs

*If you have Dual-graphics, please post your complete DxDiag report in your thread. And put in between [ spoiler ] specs here [ /spoiler ] tags (remove the spaces).

Test Subject
Original Poster
#18 Old 5th Feb 2023 at 2:29 PM Last edited by Lindarctica : 5th Feb 2023 at 10:09 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
  • General - Post System Specs
    We need more information before we can help with your issue.
    • Please post a Quick summary of your System Specs
      Instructions on finding them are here: Game Help:System Specswiki.
    • Please post your config-log located here: <username>\Documents\EA Games\<game version>\Logs

*If you have Dual-graphics, please post your complete DxDiag report in your thread. And put in between [ spoiler ] specs here [ /spoiler ] tags (remove the spaces).

my bad! Not so versed in all that stuff, but imma just copy-paste my Dxdiag report then:

and the config-log (idk is it supposed to be that long? I have no idea what i'm doing but you ask for the log so you get the whole thing lol )

Test Subject
Original Poster
#19 Old 8th Feb 2023 at 12:12 PM
Try ticking the 'disable texture memory estimate adjustment' box in GRM too. That's the line that used to cause issues with the old version, and ticking it might help on the crashing situation.

I fixed it manually (before the GRM fix existed), and my game went from a complete pink-soup crashing hell to being quite stable.

Did that and the problem Still. Friggin. Persists. I think all my attempts to fix this are fighting each other but i don't know where and how.