Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Faster Novel Writing For Sims 3 Supernatural: 9-18-12

by Chaavik Posted 26th Jun 2009 at 8:34 PM - Updated 18th Sep 2012 at 6:11 PM by Chaavik : Updating Information For Sims 3 Outdoor Living Stuff

161 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 133 Feedback Posts, 27 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 2 of 7
Inventor
#26 Old 27th Jun 2009 at 10:49 PM
I just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to make this for us. i have quite a few writers in game.. I do appreciate your efforts!! Xts aka xts2009
Criminal Mastermind
retired moderator
Original Poster
#27 Old 27th Jun 2009 at 11:27 PM
Seriously, the logical thing to do is to go to the awesome mod thread and check for newer updates. If you patched the game and used Pescado's awesome mod, you should update the awesome mod as it is now included with the patch to enable the mods to work again.

The 3booter program is documented very well about what it does and has simple install instructions. In a nutshell, if the game crashes on the loading screen, the 3booter will kick it to continue.

I just checked the mod in the game and had no issue with the Sim writing the novel.
Test Subject
#28 Old 28th Jun 2009 at 6:55 AM
i found this mod not to be much help really
before installation of this mod it would take 2 days solid to write the romance novel and that is with the speed writer skill thingy !! now it takes just longer than 24 hours which really doesn`t help me a whole lot . cant you release one where you can do it instantly or maybe in a few hours than a whole day ???

cheers ( disgruntled author with writers block )
Criminal Mastermind
retired moderator
Original Poster
#29 Old 28th Jun 2009 at 12:24 PM
Did you not read the basic description of the mod? It already stated clearly that a Sim with the Artistic/Bookworm or similar traits can write a novel within 8 to 12 hours depending on the genre. Certain types of books take longer, but they don't take 3 days to complete. A Sim without those traits will take slightly longer to write a book depending on the genre.

At least the Sims won't take 2 to 3 days to write a novel.

No, I'm not going to make a mod to allow Sims to instantly write books. That would defeat the purpose of playing Sims 3 and having fun doing the challenges.
Test Subject
#30 Old 28th Jun 2009 at 1:37 PM
It's a great mod I guess but I would never use it haha. I would usually only download mods that make the game realistic, and I couldn't imagine someone typing tens / hundreds of thousands of words in an hour and have the book still be a hit.

A great mod though for anyone wishing to speed up the process.
Test Subject
#31 Old 28th Jun 2009 at 1:55 PM
yes i did read the documentation that came with the mod . the sim that did the romance novel does have those specific traits ... and the fact is it just takes too long ... when the sim could be doing other things
Test Subject
#32 Old 28th Jun 2009 at 3:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simdkstar78
yes i did read the documentation that came with the mod . the sim that did the romance novel does have those specific traits ... and the fact is it just takes too long ... when the sim could be doing other things

Romance novels take much longer than other genres. I've tried with one of my sims and it took forever.

Chaavik - Great mod! Thanks so much, my favorite sim is an author and this will be a great help to him.
I installed the TS3 Install Helper Monkey that you said I needed on your readme file. Is that all that I need for this mod to work?

(I also have mxp's Skill Faster hack, I don't think they will conflict?)
Test Subject
#33 Old 29th Jun 2009 at 9:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simdkstar78
i found this mod not to be much help really
before installation of this mod it would take 2 days solid to write the romance novel and that is with the speed writer skill thingy !! now it takes just longer than 24 hours which really doesn`t help me a whole lot . cant you release one where you can do it instantly or maybe in a few hours than a whole day ???

cheers ( disgruntled author with writers block )

same as me but i make my own faster writing mod

50% fastest than normal but you earn money like a normal

if you interest PM okey

my english so bad huhuhu sorrry
Criminal Mastermind
retired moderator
Original Poster
#34 Old 29th Jun 2009 at 10:07 AM
Don't advertise your mods in someone else's mod thread. You can submit them to MTS for approval to have your own thread to host your mods. Thanks.

No, I don't think both mods will conflict since your mod will only affect skills you gain from reading whereas this mod only affects writing novels. That's two different things.

I don't know what else to say to you, simdkstar78. The mod does work as intended to make novel writing as short as possible.
Test Subject
#35 Old 29th Jun 2009 at 10:23 AM
sory Chaavik >__<!
Test Subject
#36 Old 29th Jun 2009 at 5:42 PM
Alright, thanks! I guess it's difficult for me because there's no way to check "for sure" that's it working, you know? I'll just have to tell by feeling if it's faster, haha.
Test Subject
#37 Old 30th Jun 2009 at 10:26 AM
Oh finally. Thanks! It's just annoying that even with mastered skills my sim need literally Days to complete a romance novel.
Instructor
#38 Old 30th Jun 2009 at 6:52 PM
Thankyouthankyouthankyou! (:
I've been wanting something like this for a while now. ^^
Test Subject
#39 Old 1st Jul 2009 at 12:39 AM
I'm not as excited about this mod as I thought I'd be. With the Bookworm AND Artistic traits, as well as the Super Writer Skill, I managed to complete a Romance novel within 24 hours straight through (no breaks at all). A Mystery novel took only a little less. I didn't time it before I downloaded the mod though, so I can't really compare it. I'll keep it, but it wasn't as fast as I had hoped.

Thanks though! It does really help! I can write a couple books over the weekend between workdays for my sim!
Criminal Mastermind
retired moderator
Original Poster
#40 Old 1st Jul 2009 at 8:01 AM Last edited by Chaavik : 1st Jul 2009 at 12:20 PM.
Is Super Writer Skill a mod?

**Edited**

Never mind the question I asked.

Keep in mind one thing about using Sims 3 mods. It's a case of K.I.S.S. when you choose a mod to affect a behavior or an object in Sims 3 over another mod. Let's say if there are two mods affecting writing books, one to gain instant skill points while writing novels and another to gain fun while writing novels, both mods may or may not work well together because chances are that one or both mods will conflict with each other using the same pieces of code to affect writing novels one way or another.

As Pescado pointed out to a number of people at MATY, you can only choose one or other mod to affect how you want to play Sims 3.

Also, I think, but I could be wrong, that your system can determine the game speed at which Sims 3 will be played. The older and slower machines will experience "lag" at some point, making the machine appear much slower while Sims 3 is run. Other machines may be faster, making the machine appear much faster while Sims 3 is run.

K.I.S.S. is a great motto to keep things simple. There is no definite way for mods to work independently of each other. There's a whole legion of mods out there that overlap other mods literally to the point that they could present interesting challenges for the users to sort and choose based on the mods' descriptions.

Also, I repeat, that the genre of the book determines how long the Sim will write. The epics, the autobiographies and one other type of genre will tend to be longer, but they won't take forever to write. I would've just chucked the book project out the window and stick to a smaller genre to write. I believe the children's books are the smallest books to write. Articles are quick and simple to write.
Test Subject
#41 Old 1st Jul 2009 at 8:31 PM
Mod doesn't seem to work for me. :\
Lab Assistant
#42 Old 1st Jul 2009 at 9:18 PM
Much appreciated! This is a welcome addition to my game. Thanks for sharing your mod skills with the Sim community.
Criminal Mastermind
retired moderator
Original Poster
#43 Old 2nd Jul 2009 at 3:50 AM
The mod does work. There is nothing more I can do to help you fix the problem.

Once again, if you don't have the framework mod installed to enable Sims 3 to use the mods, then that might be the problem because you have to have the framework mod installed for any, not only mine, mod to work fullstop.

To find out how you can install the framework mod, you can do either way:

Manual Installation:

Pescado's Framework Mod

This method requires you to have patience and to read all of the documentation included with the mod before you back up your Sims 3 core files and install the framework mod.

This is the hard way.

Now, for the easy way:

Delphy's TS3 Install Helper Monkey

This method is pretty much "hands free" as you will use the program to install things for you the easy way after you download various mods from everywhere that host Sims 3 stuff.

This is the easy way.

Just make sure you have the Framework mod installed properly before you got any thread and say the mod doesn't work. If the framework mod isn't installed properly and if the mod don't work. look at that first and make sure the framework mod is installed as well as making sure you put the mod in the right location:

XP:

C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Mods\Packages

The mods must go into the above location. Unless there are instructions for installing certain types of files that will modify Sims 3, the game, itself.

The instructions and descriptions of all tools available are right there.
Lab Assistant
#44 Old 5th Jul 2009 at 12:03 AM
Yay Sherrilyn Kenyon sim! :D
Lab Assistant
#45 Old 5th Jul 2009 at 2:12 PM
Thanks for this mod, but it's still a little too slow for me. I opened the .package in notepad and I can see all the values, but I don't know which ones to change. How do I make the sims write a bit faster?
Test Subject
#46 Old 7th Jul 2009 at 6:24 AM
UR seriously AWESOME ty 4 all of da mods!!
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#47 Old 10th Jul 2009 at 12:06 PM
Chaavik,

You might wwant to rebuild this package file - the header is all kinds of corrupted and has a double DBPF section as well as spaces all over the place. Causes issues with opening it in some tools.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Criminal Mastermind
retired moderator
Original Poster
#48 Old 11th Jul 2009 at 4:20 PM
New version available to download. If you have the old mod, please delete it and re-download. Thanks!
Inventor
#49 Old 17th Jul 2009 at 9:17 AM
Hmm I have the older version and I got brave enough to update my game today. I have no problems with this mod or any others and my Sim wrote her Science fiction novel very quickly she's just a Bookworm no other special skills or Rewards to affect that. But you know on different systems the mods will behave differently. I had quite a few problems with certain things in Sims 2 while no one else did or maybe 1 or 2 people besides myself did. But for me this mod worked wonders I hope the updated version works for me too. Because I have had that happen before where installing a "better' version of a mod has made it not work. Anyways Thanks.
Criminal Mastermind
retired moderator
Original Poster
#50 Old 17th Jul 2009 at 5:42 PM
Welcome
Page 2 of 7