Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
#76 Old 19th Jan 2008 at 7:42 PM
Ohhhh lordy, I downloaded it too and this is proving a ridiculous amount of fun. *sends uber thanks to aelflaed* I named my girl Linda Neato (Aren't I original LOL)

Managed to clean the entire inside, and my sim got the flu. So she stayed in bed for ages and then was desperate for social interaction. So she started talking to an former asylum challenge sim of mine, who decided to pick almost ALL the weeds in the yard on his own!

Now she's slowly working her way up the criminal career and stomping the stray roaches :P

Here's some pic of her:

Bowling: (she was DESPERATE for social)

Outside the house:

On the couch:

You can call me Robyn, tis my name after all
SixWordStories
Advertisement
Alchemist
#77 Old 2nd Feb 2008 at 7:45 AM
Thanks for showing what you did with my house, Slytherin-girl. It's nice to see it being used. And thanks for the thanks. ;-)
Instructor
#78 Old 3rd Feb 2008 at 4:49 AM
Ok, I'm slow...

Is the challenge to NOT clean it up and live in the filth (and buy things to make it better)

Or can you clean it? I'm confused.
(sorry for such a silly question lol)
Scholar
#79 Old 3rd Feb 2008 at 5:46 AM
Finally it's done!

Everything's so expensive and fancy, and Linda even adopted a little boy! ^^

EDIT: Pictures

Outside the house (she has a car now):

Another view

Top Down

Kitchen:

Bathroom (sink below mirror now, forgot one *facepalm*)

Living Room:

Linda and adopted son Alec cuddle on the couch:

Bedrooms:

Alec

Linda:

I must say I've really enjoyed this challenge! She achieved her LTW (become Criminal Mastermind) and it was really interesting to make myself not hit motherlode to buy everything nice! :D

SixWordStories
Alchemist
#80 Old 4th Feb 2008 at 6:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by chnnature
Is the challenge to NOT clean it up and live in the filth (and buy things to make it better)...Or can you clean it?

Of course you can (and should) clean it. And redecorate/rebuild however you like. The challenge is to do it only on your sim's earnings, and with the 'penalty' of beginning in such a dump.

Have fun!
Instructor
#81 Old 4th Feb 2008 at 2:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by aelflaed
Of course you can (and should) clean it. And redecorate/rebuild however you like. The challenge is to do it only on your sim's earnings, and with the 'penalty' of beginning in such a dump.

Have fun!

Ahh! I see- thanks!

I'm gonna have fun with this one!
Scholar
#82 Old 1st Mar 2008 at 12:43 PM
Your messy lot almost got the better of my sim, Serena, aelflaed! It's been 7 days and she has something like 5 mechanical skill points and she still can't fix the shower or bathtub. She's cleaned up everything, though and is now starting to upgrade. And she got lucky in one friend - Joe Carr came over and autonomously gardened, pulling up a bunch of weeds and trimming bushes. Together, they did the whole garden in one go so now there are no more weeds! Yay! Pics tomorrow - it's almost midnight for me so I'm off to bed.

My newest downloads are on Simified.
Older downloads and stuff that didn't get transferred to Simified are on my Livejournal.
Say NO to ugly square shadows in TS3! Grab the fix today!
#83 Old 3rd Mar 2008 at 1:57 AM
I'm just gonna go try this now... The house looks lovely, by the way,aelflaed. :spin:
Scholar
#84 Old 3rd Mar 2008 at 1:59 AM
It really is nice once you get it all fixed up Mine's a lot of fun!

SixWordStories
Alchemist
#85 Old 3rd Mar 2008 at 3:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Engram
It's been 7 days and she has something like 5 mechanical skill points and she still can't fix the shower or bathtub.
Glad you're having fun!

I found the hired mechanic has trouble fixing the shower and bath sometimes too - in one house, in the end I sold them and got new ones. That mechanic spent all day going from one to the other, and went home in the end without finishing. I suspect the cheat code used to break them works a little too well sometimes.

Thanks for the compliments, everyone.
Field Researcher
#86 Old 3rd Mar 2008 at 4:30 AM
I found the hired mechanic has trouble fixing the shower and bath sometimes too - in one house, in the end I sold them and got new ones. That mechanic spent all day going from one to the other, and went home in the end without finishing. I suspect the cheat code used to break them works a little too well sometimes.

So that explains why I could never seem to get my simmie or the hired mechanic to fix the bath and shower! I finaly just sold them too. Major frustration but still fun to play. You did a great job on the lot by the way! :D
Scholar
#87 Old 3rd Mar 2008 at 4:36 AM
I never had a problem fixing them...and I never hired a mechanic/maid/gardener ever...weird..

It DID take a while since Linda had no mechanical skill but it did work...

SixWordStories
Scholar
#88 Old 3rd Mar 2008 at 10:01 AM
I've been trying to play this one "honest" so Serena hasn't got a maid and she only got a gardener once she had de-weeded the whole garden. And that took a while! Those darn weeds just kept growing back! I'm getting desperate on the shower and tub issue - just trying to earn enough money to upgrade to the most expensive shower/tub combo (and sell them without fixing). And now I have Free Time installed so she's going to want to do her hobby. I truly hope she's the arts and crafts type so she can sell the stuff she makes and not one of those useless bird watching types that's just going to waste time and not earn any money No offense to the bird watchers of the forum, it's a great hobby IRL, but this girl needs to earn some cash! :D

Older downloads and stuff that didn't get transferred to Simified are on my Livejournal.
Alchemist
#89 Old 3rd Mar 2008 at 11:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by slytherin-girl
I never had a problem fixing them(...)It DID take a while since Linda had no mechanical skill but it did work...
Yes, I've played the house myself five or six times, and the glitch with the shower and bath happens in some versions and not in others - since it's the same house every time, I can't explain it.
Lab Assistant
#90 Old 3rd Mar 2008 at 3:30 PM
Wow that house looks insane!! I can't wait to try it out! :D
Scholar
#91 Old 4th Mar 2008 at 8:06 PM
aelflaed, I would just like to say...

The Shower of Doom!

She never did get it fixed. She spent most of her hard earned cash on paying for a repairman who hopped in and out of that shower for hours on end, costing her a packet and not achieving anything. In the end I ended up forcing an error on both the shower and tub and they finally stopped spraying water.

Inventor
#92 Old 4th Mar 2008 at 8:27 PM
This looks fun! I think I may try this. ^_^
Alchemist
#93 Old 4th Mar 2008 at 11:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Engram
aelflaed, I would just like to say...

The Shower of Doom!

She never did get it fixed. She spent most of her hard earned cash on paying for a repairman who hopped in and out of that shower for hours on end, costing her a packet and not achieving anything. In the end I ended up forcing an error on both the shower and tub and they finally stopped spraying water.

Sorry Engram...I've seen that pose a lot too!

I didn't know forcing an error would fix it. Thanks for telling us.
Have fun, Annachibi and LilyBeth!
Scholar
#94 Old 5th Mar 2008 at 12:36 AM
Sorry Engram...I've seen that pose a lot too!

I didn't know forcing an error would fix it. Thanks for telling us.
Have fun, Annachibi and LilyBeth!
I'm just glad that forcing an error worked I didn't know it would, but she was going to run out of money soon and the repairman/woman was going to take something of hers and I didn't want it to be her sewing machine or computer I'm just glad that it worked. Probably next time I use this house there won't be a problem with the tub or shower. I'll keep playing a bit longer and post some pics of the changes she's made.

Test Subject
#95 Old 12th Mar 2008 at 5:07 AM
I'm loving this little challenge. Since I've started playing the sims, way back in sims 1 land, I've used money cheats and such. This is really making me take on the responsibility of going to my job and bringing home the simBacon.

And my sim (Ellie) is so funny with this house. Seriously she hated it, everything about it, but now she's loving it and the changes I've made to it. She still hates the gardening though...mainly because it seems to rain every simday and the weeds just wont stay away.
#96 Old 12th Mar 2008 at 10:49 AM
I love this challenge. After ailing to make my own home, I downloaded teh Derelict Dreamhouse and it was excellant. It really was funny..... for me, my sim despised it with a burning passion that could not be fully described in words.
I eventually got the house done, I didn't allow my sim to work until he fixed up everything and he could not change the wallpaper/floor until everything in that room was working well.

While I loved this challenge, just so you know there were a ftwo problems with the Derelict Dreamhouse.
1.) I could not fix any of the broken things, my sim would work on it for a second than jump back. I think someone has already mentioned it but just to be safe.....
2.) I know that someone said something about the food being ready to cook, but I had another problem. Several of the sanwiches outside were floating above their plate like someone was eating them.
Mad Poster
#97 Old 14th Mar 2008 at 7:10 AM
I'm going to try this out again with Derelict Dreamhosue. At least the house looks better (and by better I mean wors ) than the first one.
Alchemist
#98 Old 15th Mar 2008 at 5:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Game Shark
(...)problems with the Derelict Dreamhouse.
1.) I could not fix any of the broken things, my sim would work on it for a second than jump back. I think someone has already mentioned it but just to be safe.....
2.) I know that someone said something about the food being ready to cook, but I had another problem. Several of the sanwiches outside were floating above their plate like someone was eating them.

Glad you liked the house!

We did discuss the broken stuff just a little while ago - sometimes it fixes, sometimes it doesn't. Forcing an error on the unfixable item worked for one person at least, or you can just sell it broken.

I haven't heard / seen anything previously about floating sandwiches. Weird.
Mad Poster
#99 Old 15th Mar 2008 at 3:39 PM
aelflaed: Great job with the house, I had the same shower/tub bugs that the rest of these people, + the food never went bad because it was not cooked - also the news papers never went bad either. I restarted the house three times becuse I wasn't happy with the person who was living in it, so I re-did him three times. But third time is a charm, and he's now happily living in the house. I did some changes - like instead of a TV my man borught a piano, suits his personality better. I also removed the bushes from the front of the house as well as the fence, becuase they kept blocking my view. I'm going to replace the the fence with flowers next summer. I haven't got anything upgraded, yet, only the piano/tv switching. The garden was weedless at one point, thanks to my helpfull neighbors, but it's now weeding up again. When I have managed to un-weed it + trim all the bushes, I'll hire a gardner. I always hated the first day in a new house scenario, but this time I didn't, there was just so much to do from the start

If you ever re-do the house and fix the bugs, can you please delete the satellite, it gives you way too much money if sold. Had to wait a few days to get it's value down.
Alchemist
#100 Old 15th Mar 2008 at 11:28 PM
ani - do you have EPs? I made a Seasons version of the house to fix the non-rotten food issue, which worked for me. Can't do anything about the newspapers, don't know why they stay good. If you throw them out and let the paperboy bring new ones, those will go off same as normal.

I didn't find the front hedges a problem, but I designed the house to be played from the patio side. Also, I play from a distance that allows an overview of as much of the interior as possible, and didn't find the fences bother me. Believe me, I like a clear view and design accordingly. However, everyone's playing style will be different.

I put the satellite in partly because it looks junky, and partly because it gives a chunk of cash - I didn't want to doom my sim to misery for -too- long. However, I note your objection.

I would really like to know if you used the Seasons version of the house.
Page 4 of 6