Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Aug 2022 at 1:59 AM Last edited by Vrman87 : 25th Aug 2022 at 8:59 PM.
Default Cracked disc (the hub ring)
I have been recently trying to acquire all the Sims2 discs (got started on Origin with ultimate collection...ugh hate Origin) and I got a lot of most of the discs. It was labeled as "very good" condition. And most of the discs are. EXCEPT for Apartment Life. The center rub ring is cracked and one piece is about to come off. They haven't spread into the data area yet, but I have a feeling it will only be a matter of time. IF it even can spin properly at all.

I have never had this before. But I have noticed the disc cases are very very very tight for the single discs in the center hub (tighter than I have ever seen). The ones with multiple discs on a small spindle aren't near as hard to remove, so this is my guess why it is cracked: too much stress from a bad design and perhaps a little too much pulling.

The question is, is there anything I can do? Glue is out of the question. I see there is hub ring stickers but I have my doubts how effective it will be. I suspect at the high speed of my drive this disk is going to come apart. Anyone else ever run into this? Any suggestions or am I just doomed to try ebay again?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 25th Aug 2022 at 4:10 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 25th Aug 2022 at 4:24 AM.
With the UC, if you don't want to deal with Origin every time you start up the game, you can use a NoCD patch (the first mediafire link here). Only dealings with Origin you need to have is if you need to reinstall or fix the game.

Just in case there aren't any good solutions for the AL disc.

Could be an idea to find a different storage solution instead of the pop-cases. Those have many times had me worried they'll ruin a disc. Maybe sleeves instead (but make sure the casing around is hard enough, so there's no risk of breakage)? Not sure if those are still available for sale somewhere, though. I don't think I'd trust that AL disc inside a computer if it's cracked - you could end up risking the disc drive if it cracks up further inside there.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 25th Aug 2022 at 8:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
With the UC, if you don't want to deal with Origin every time you start up the game, you can use a NoCD patch (the first mediafire link here). Only dealings with Origin you need to have is if you need to reinstall or fix the game.

Just in case there aren't any good solutions for the AL disc.

Could be an idea to find a different storage solution instead of the pop-cases. Those have many times had me worried they'll ruin a disc. Maybe sleeves instead (but make sure the casing around is hard enough, so there's no risk of breakage)? Not sure if those are still available for sale somewhere, though. I don't think I'd trust that AL disc inside a computer if it's cracked - you could end up risking the disc drive if it cracks up further inside there.

Ohh I had heard about the NoCD patch, but I didn't think it worked for UC. THANKS. But I still wish to get a physical set (I don't trust Origin long term).

And I agree about the cases. Most DVD/CD cases I have used weren't this bad. I will use paper sleeves from here on in. Can put those inside the normal case and shouldn't be a problem. There are other kinds as well, or perhaps replace the case entirely. Long ago CD/DVD cases were much nicer and easy to remove. You put a little pressure on the center and they popped right out. I don't know if they make them like that any more, but I sure know companies are certainly not ditrubuting their discs in them.

And I agree, too risky to use it. I wondered if it was possible to get one of those stickers, image the disc, and burn another one. But not sure if it is worth the risk. Looks like I will have to go on the ebay hunt again, unless anyone has other suggestions.