Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Doing all the things, and *mostly* not failing.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#176 Old 17th Oct 2011 at 4:01 AM
Try move_objects deleting the dad then respawn him? I have no idea what's going on with your game. If that doesn't work, maybe try moving the family out to the sim bin then back into their house?
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#177 Old 17th Oct 2011 at 9:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Phaenoh
Try move_objects deleting the dad then respawn him? I have no idea what's going on with your game. If that doesn't work, maybe try moving the family out to the sim bin then back into their house?

The last operation I described worked. I did try moving him, but not deleting, should have remembered that one. He got up from supper to receive his warning, so may have been stuck between the chairs, however I think the main problem was that I saved and exited while he was receiving serial firing notices. I should have quit without saving, but that would have been cheating ;^).
Mad Poster
#178 Old 17th Oct 2011 at 2:48 PM
Let this be your mantra: "Nothing can be cheating if the game's glitching!"

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Test Subject
#179 Old 17th Oct 2011 at 10:11 PM
exuse me, but I'm having a problem with the mod. I wait till wednesday, It doesn't kick me out. and then i move him him out manualy, and into a new 'apocolyptic' house. (custom made by moi) and no greying out occurs. Help?
Mad Poster
#180 Old 17th Oct 2011 at 11:36 PM
So I failed an adult start last night--male founder. So I'll try again another day.

I wanted to report something slightly odd as well after I saw Jeff's issue above. Founder was socializing with one of his friends/lovers when another walked by (because I am all about potential spouse choices here). Girl #1 decided it was a great time for an autonomous serenade, and before I could cancel it out, girl #2, ungreeted, queued up a slap Founder. Which I also canceled out. She then proceeded to throw a tantrum that looked suspiciously like a loop of the oh my gosh I caught him cheating animation, while I tried to get him to greet her, but it kept dropping from his queue (I wanted to fix the relationship before she kicked his trash can, of course). Then she bailed. I do play with testingcheats enabled, and there were no errors in all of this. As far as I remember, the mods I have which effect romance are ACR 2 (autonomy off, EA jealousy setting), Inteen and harder romances, in that load order and with the apoc mods loading after everything else--but my suspicion would be some sort of mod conflict--as obviously my game is heavily modded. I've had sims catch lovers cheating before without the apoc mods in, canceled the slapping, and not had this tantrum loop. I'm also using it in a Permagame, not my main game. Girl #2 walked by again the next day and acted like she wasn't furious, and cooperated nicely with falling back in love. No flamey thoughts, no rejected interactions.

Stupid chance cards. He never got fired but kept getting demoted. Only got to level 8 by his birthday. He was in military.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#181 Old 18th Oct 2011 at 1:30 AM
Blewbachu, I think you misunderstood something. You will not automatically get kicked out of your founder's house if you are doing an Adult Start. You need to do that yourself. As for the greying out, that's just in my post, how you can tell what my mod removes completely for you. Anything that I have written in grey should not be doable by your sims.

Sunbee, I'm not even going to bother trying to track down a mod conflict between my mods and those big names. They shouldn't be included in your game when you are playing this challenge anyways. They give you interactions others wouldn't have, such as ungreeted social interactions. I do highly recommend playing in a PermaGame because then you don't need to keep moving mods back and forth when you want to play different games, but you should really take those other mods out for this challenge. And yeah, the first time I played this I had the same problem, my founder failed to unlock military before his elder birthday. That's why I didn't save the entire time I played him, I had a clean fresh start straight from college and he had plenty of time the second time around.
Mad Poster
#182 Old 18th Oct 2011 at 3:27 AM
Oh, I don't think you should try to track it down. I was more thinking it was an fyi thing--and if nothing else, if someone else experiences a looping animation and has one or more of them in, then they'll know they aren't the only one. I only mentioned it--I thought I'd said this--because of Jeff's issue. I know some of the mods I use allow for cheating--I can avoid using ungreeted interactions easily enough--but I couldn't play sims at all without macrotastics because of my wrist: last time I tried (playtesting apocalypse rules, of course) I caused my carpel tunnel to flare up. I figure having the other Pescado stuff like harder jobs and romances makes up a little bit for that!
I wouldn't say that what I'm playing is really the Apocalypse challenge, but it is hard, and it is fun.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#183 Old 18th Oct 2011 at 4:05 AM
Well Sunbee, to paraphrase a statement above, its not cheating if your health is glitching. I've been there with the carpel tunnel. It's not fun. I'd still suggest striping out most of the mods you can do without to try to keep it as close as possible to everyone elses. Harder jobs doesn't make much sense as the jobs are now made hard enough with no vacation days, autofiring, and no option to ignore chance cards.
Test Subject
#184 Old 18th Oct 2011 at 4:04 PM
Hmmm...... I can get everything in buy mode, the mod doesn't even appear in the cc warning....
Field Researcher
#185 Old 18th Oct 2011 at 7:39 PM
do you have any custom content much? i ask becasue the mods tend to make only some items invisible in the cataloge.
such things as baths and showers, and the more expensive game cookers. also the small apliances, all cars and any EA items that are not listed in the allowed sections. however, custom content tends to stay appearing in the cataloge. i have (when folder zombies is in Downloads) only one car visable and one other vehicle (those being a cc tow truck, and the ea banger you fix up yourself)
most of my decoratives are visable, but all the plants in build are gone unless they are the fallout custom dead grasses and trees.
Test Subject
#186 Old 18th Oct 2011 at 8:41 PM
LOL! the files weere saved in public documetns/sims 2not documents/sims2!

It's now fuctioning correctly.

but, do the handicaps of the challenge e.g winter/winter/winter/winter apply throughout the challenge or only when you reach that step?
retired moderator
Original Poster
#187 Old 18th Oct 2011 at 9:42 PM
They apply throughout, once you lift Music then you can have whatever seasons you want. Basically, in the beginning, everything is sucky and hard. As you progress, things get easier.
Test Subject
#188 Old 18th Oct 2011 at 10:14 PM
do you have to lift restricitions in order individualy, or just in the respective blocks (bronze,silver,gold)
retired moderator
Original Poster
#189 Old 18th Oct 2011 at 10:50 PM
You do them in chunks, you can pick which order you lift the first three; Military, Medical, and Cusine. Then you move on to the next set. You can not lift anything in Restriction level 2 or 3 without first lifting everything in Restriction level 1, and you can't start lifting anything in tier 3 without first having done all of level 1 and 2. Do all in one level in any order, then move on to the next level.
Field Researcher
#190 Old 19th Oct 2011 at 8:54 PM
Hey everyone, sorry for the disappearing act. I just haven't been making any progress with setting up my hood for this challenge... and then I had a cold.

I have to admit I'm struggling with motivation a little. I do want to play, but I hate setting up. Not to mention I have to make my own townies (even more of a chore!) and, well, I don't like single-family challenges that much because they involve playing one family exclusively for a long period of time. My record for that is eleven Sim days. But yeah, I need multiple families from the start or I fall asleep on the desk.

I am going to try though, since it's the one thing I actually have an idea for at the moment.

- VT

simblr
Home of my Kulo Seeri Test of Time and a lot of worldbuilder rambling. You have been warned.
Field Researcher
#191 Old 19th Oct 2011 at 9:51 PM
dont you have to play the zombies too?
i thought you have to play the founder some, then the zombies some, then the founder again untill you get the move out restriction lifted. then you just add the moved out simmies to the list of round robin playing?

not sure why you would have to make your own townies, casue as soon as i place a sim, i get a slew of em on walkby (even with just my main hood and Uni hood) unless you have say, noTownieRespawn on or...you want em manualy for names, maybe? i know there are special mods for name lists, i have seen ones for medievil and harry potter hoods

dont give up, by the way, VT. take a look at the things i managed to find in the links what about a red apocalypse sky? there was also a darker blue stormy one that might help get the look going for you
Field Researcher
#192 Old 19th Oct 2011 at 10:49 PM
I use clean templates and notownieregen to stop them spawning. It just annoys me when I get human-looking townies wandering around my alien planets. I want townies that fit the setting (the human-less setting, because it's one of my hoods).

Thanks for being so good at finding stuff, by the way. I couldn't find the link to the awesome-sounding red sky though. Where did you find it again?

- VT

simblr
Home of my Kulo Seeri Test of Time and a lot of worldbuilder rambling. You have been warned.
Field Researcher
#193 Old 20th Oct 2011 at 4:02 PM
well i found the link at the GoS apocalypse thread
you have to look down the gray links at the top of the page for the link to Psychosims recolor / remmake
there is also a normal color version here at psychosims world

but i would sugest trawling thru the whole of the lists of themes on the GoS archive. its called Quick, into the TARDIS there are lots of things in there
Field Researcher
#194 Old 20th Oct 2011 at 4:28 PM
Thanks for the links, Rayea. You sure know where to find the most apocalyptic stuff.

- VT

simblr
Field Researcher
#195 Old 20th Oct 2011 at 7:43 PM
hehe, well i had to do *something* when i was down in the dumps, thinking my sims was broke rather than just shovel chocolate, i thought, go on a hunt for more cc

this is how a small part of my newer hood is looking

i have derelict building shell hood decor, with fallout3 desert terrain and custom roads there. in between the fake houses are real lots i built. im working on ideas for a uni on an island next. prety much all of the stuff comes from those links at GoH or from users there's blogs, dreamwidth ect
oh, while im here VT, have you a link for a colonization chalenge rules set? od IS there such a thing? i have heard of poverty and prosperity but not sure if there is one for colonizing places (worlds, the past, the future..alternet realites ect XD)
Field Researcher
#196 Old 21st Oct 2011 at 9:07 AM
Can't say I've heard of one, and this is the Simmer who has spent five years of playing TS2 printing off challenges and stuffing four large ring binders with them. But if you could give me some idea of what sort of thing you want, I might be able to write one for you since I'm working on a couple of challenge rewrites at the moment anyway.

Your new hood is looking good so far, by the way.

- VT

simblr
Field Researcher
#197 Old 21st Oct 2011 at 11:18 PM Last edited by Rayea : 22nd Oct 2011 at 12:01 AM.
well.....blame speilberg XD (yeah, i probly spelled that wrong)
4 back to backs of Terra Nova will make anyone think about a repopulate <insert name of scenario here> especialy if you have a brain line mine..that suddenly starts working on full speed, if it gets a tasty idea.

i was looking at the houses there..made from what looked like cardboard shipping tubes and inside roofs draped with material and thinking to myself hm....i could make that roof with constrainFloorElevation false....i could use numenors glass wall window sets columns in biscut to make those walls (with his invisible wall set) and moveObjects on, plus snapObjectsToGrid....
i caught myself looking at the arieal construction of their town and thinking it wasnt laid out too well, less a town and more of an armed camp...that their going to have to cut into the crop area once the population gets bigger (or expand outside the walls, create a seccond set of walls, which may casue ghettofication of the original housing blocks)

so yeah. as a sim builder, i wonderd...could i (or we) do better. then i wondered if there was a ruleset for a repopulate the (sim) World type chalenge.
i mean most of them would be simple or obvious, starting pairs, no kids allready, prefab buildings for housing units and so on...but allthough im good at putting the pieces together, i tend to see worst case scenarios rather than best case, which is why apocalypse is easy. i allready plan for the worst, out of boredom (my town allready HAS zombies...we have real townies in my area XD and i mean sim style townies)
*edit* ooh, after seeing the new store stuff for s3 (sci-fi bedroom stuff, with a bed that looks just like the MindChair device from Total Recall XD lol) it might even be good to try a repop chalenge for sims3 (but i wont pester for that, this is sims2 stuff hehe)
Field Researcher
#198 Old 22nd Oct 2011 at 9:27 AM
Please don't ask for anything T"S"3 related from me. I hate it. But as far as a TS2 version of a repopulation challenge goes, I tend to be pretty good with working out scenarios once I get started - maybe we could try working something out together? Or maybe not, just asking.

As for your PM, the "no friends for careers" mod is on this page at Simbology. You'll have to scroll down a bit to find it but it's there.

- VT

simblr
Field Researcher
#199 Old 22nd Oct 2011 at 11:30 AM
thanks, the BF will be much happier if he can play with that in the folder. and i wouldnt ask for sims3 stuff in a sims 2 thread. i just had to say that the so called bed reminded me of the chair from total recall XD
retired moderator
Original Poster
#200 Old 22nd Oct 2011 at 7:14 PM
Guys, this conversation is fun and all, but this thread is for my challenge. Please keep your posts on topic. I think its a great idea for you two to create a 'repopulate world' challenge, but not here, kthanx?
Page 8 of 43